• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

SharkLord

Smash Hero
80% satisfaction. I was born and raised on Minecraft; How could I say no? They actually introduced a crafting mechanic, they added the mob skins, and the stupid janky animations are unironically hilarious. Minecraft Steve gives you a soulless, unemotive stare as he throttles your pathetic attempt at recovery with an anvil. It's honestly really funny.

Also, respect for Sakurai actually redoing the code for all the stages just to make the block placing work. Thanks, man; Your hard work is very much appreciated.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Confirmed:

Steve
55.69% chance - 23.89% want (first rating)
3.04% chance - 38.17% want (second rating)
33.94% chance - 41.17% want (third rating)
44.40% chance - 51.86% want (fourth rating)
33.19% chance - 58.44% want (fifth rating)
Recently voted 14th most overrated character and 55th most underrated.

Concept: Another Western character
47.73% chance - 69.25% want

Alex
Never rated

Zombie
Never rated

Enderman
Never rated

Hard disconfirmed:

Concept: No third parties in this Pass
6.74% chance - 23.76% want

Soft disconfirmed:

Master Chief
4.33% chance - 31.17% want (first rating)
18.27% chance - 60.94% want (second rating)
19.18% chance - 66.22% want (third rating)
Recently voted 6th most overrated character and 55th most underrated.

Creeper (unless it's on the stage? Wasn't paying attention lmao)
3.07% chance - 10.39% want

Concept: A Microsoft rep that isn't Steve or Master Chief (this one clings on due to the technicality of Bethesda now)
x95 nominations

Also be sure to check out Ridrool64 Ridrool64 's post above, sums up who stands to benefit and who stands to lose because of this latest reveal.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
I just don't really expect anything ground breaking anymore. I think people are getting their hopes up way too high when I get the feeling that just like Joker did for out-of-the-box third party characters in Pass 1, Min Min is probably going to be representing Pass 2 in a similar way (less "out there" characters, more first parties). I'd love to be proven wrong though.
Glad to see I was proven wrong. Steve was definitely not someone I expected for the next Smash character.

Steve looks super janky and crusty and I think he's a hilarious character addition for that. I was always worried that any Minecraft inclusion would try to articulate the characters like it does in some fanmade content or in the Telltale games, which is really just a look I'm not very fond of. But it looks like he came straight out of Minecraft! I think he's a really interesting and unique inclusion because of it. It's like a second Game and Watch.

If I had to give a satisfaction rating, I'd probably give Steve a solid 70%. Steve was never one of my mosted wanteds and I'm not sure if it's something I'll be buying the pass for, but it's definitely the character that has caught my eye the best in a long while. He's very faithfully developed and I can admire him a lot for that.

amageish

Smash Master
Steve Reaction: 70%.

I'm amazed this didn't leak and gotta give full points for that. Good job Nintendo and Microsoft for keeping this under wraps!

As for Steve/Alex themselves, I mostly just feel sort of...

I need to see more content, really, as this moveset seems... intense. I mean, if it required fundamentally redoing stage code, then that's pretty intense haha. I am interested in how it'll work, though also a bit nervous at the potential of explaining basic Smash controls to someone less familiar with gaming, seeing them pick Steve in the character select screen, and then having to go "Wait, that character is completely different from everyone else, let me restart my explanation." I mean, we already have to do that with Min Min, but this seems likely to be just sort of... that but more.

Otherwise, I've played some Minecraft. I'm cool with this pick, if not especially attached.

I, uh, do wonder what this means for the budget of the Second Fighter's Pass though. Is it a very big budget as the first pass did so well? Is this them blowing their entire budget on one character? Will we be getting more big third parties? What about more western characters? I have no idea how to anwser these questions, but I am guessing this won't shake up speculation too much pragmatically as people have already been discussing SEGA/Square second DLC reps pretty openly as well as big western picks.

Nominations: Stingray Mii Costume x 10? I guess if this counts for 10?

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Satisfaction: 10%

I can't lie, I'm not enthused about this guy mostly due to never getting into Minecraft. My initial reaction was a "oh, okay" but it's been passing over with time.

It has its nice parts, hence this not being a flat-out 0%. It's a big pick for lots of people, and in a way I'm actually surprised they went with another fully western rep. I'm liking the implications this character has more than him proper for the rest of the pass, though he seemed fun enough in the trailer. Really, all I can say is congrats to everyone that wanted him, personally just gonna wait for the next character now, which could very well be next year. :impatientsonic:

Essentially, I "get" why they picked him. Sakurai flat-out said it in the stream.

I do find it funny after the whole Steve and Banjo debacles last year both of them managed to make it in. My condolences go to Master Chief and other Microsoft characters though, they certainly had their merits, but it's looking pretty unlikely for them now.

EDIT: Nominations: Zero (Mega Man) x10 if it counts. Man I keep forgetting.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ok so. Clear 100 satisfaction from me despite barely having touched Minecraft in my life. The artstyle clashing heavily is really charming to me as Smash always had clashing aesthetics since the beginning but this is something else, the song we heard was beautiful, I never even heard any Minecraft songs beyond that one meme video. Smash wants to be a hall of fame for video games so Steve is absolutely mandatory in that regard but going for a zombie and Enderman's especially cool. A character who sets up terrain and upgrades their weapons overtime sounds real fun too, if unorthodox as hell. But what gets me here is the amount of love and care put into this. A nice stage that changes layouts as no 2 Minecraft worlds will be alike, loads of silly cute references and a strong determination to make Steve as blocky as ever and honest to god, one of the best final smashes I've seen, that first person view really says "Hey. Just like the game" and I can't find a single thing to complain about, I'm fine with Master Chief possibly losing out for this, which I suppose is ironic as I disliked Banjo and felt literally every other MS choice would be better. Also I feel REALLY ****ing vindicated for having called some of Steve's gimmicks in random posts. I missed the trailer when it went live but this trailer and how Twitter ****ing died really does get the point across that Smash and Minecraft are truly special games in the hearts of millions

Miriam x10

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think he was just saying that it was difficult to program him, not that he was against the character itself.
Yeah, he seems more miffed that he had to go back and reprogram every stage in the game just to make the blocks work. I have very little experience in programming, but I can still tell that would be a massive pain in the %$#@.
I'm amazed this didn't leak and gotta give full points for that. Good job Nintendo and Microsoft for keeping this under wraps!
Actually, Monster Hunter Rise Reddit Guy apparently leaked him at the last second. Still, props for keeping it hidden until just before the actual announcement.

Doomguy46

Smash Apprentice
I think he was just saying that it was difficult to program him, not that he was against the character itself.
This. He said it would be difficult to program

I'm super satisfied with this choice, I've been playing Minecraft longer than I've played smash. This is awesome.
90% satisfied I need to see the moves and also it may be only western rep. Ruling my big beautiful Russian man out.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Hmm
I'll go 80% satisfaction

I'm more of a first party kind of guy but Minecraft was high among my third party rankings. I think they pulled it off well, and the stage is fantastic. I wanted Minecraft purely for that stage. I'm curious to see how the music will be handled but I liked what I heard in the trailer. Zombie and Enderman are cool. I just want to know how he plays.

Nominate content from currently unreleased game x5

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Steve satisfaction: 85%

I'm very okay with Steve joining Smash, as I like Minecraft but also because one of my friend wanted him, so this made me happy for him and also myself. Otherwise, Steve looks pretty fun as a character to play, even if building could be annoying to face. Also the fact that Sakurai and his team had to recode the entire damn game for said gimmick is just an incredible feat that makes me respect them even more. The remix we heard is nice, and even if we're only going to get 7 tracks which kinda dissapoints me, I can easily glance over that since Steve took so much work to make work. Also the stage looks really cool, especialy since it's randomly generated like in Minecraft, which was one of my biggest want from Steve. His final Smash is also pretty fun, and his trailer was just funny and full of charm. I think I kinda understand how he works from the trailer, but yeah, I'll gladly take Sakurai's explanation Saturday. So yeah, I'm satisfied by Steve even if he's not one of my most wanted. Also it pleased my egi a bit since I though of Steve as the second likeliest Western character and just likely in general.

Nominations: Hades x10

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Satisfaction of Steve, Alex, Zombie and Enderman: 100%

As a big fan of Minecraft, Steve’s inclusion is a very exciting time. I was wanting Steve to join the fight since 2015, and now one of my dreams has become a reality. I’m quite surprised that the Enderman was a alternate Costume, but I think it’s a good idea. The trailer was quite fun as well, and overall, the fact that Steve is playable is hype worthy.

Also Steve was my third most wanted, and was my most wanted third party. Now that Steve is in Smash, my list has changed.

Noms: 5 for Boss: Rayquaza

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Steve reception

75%
I think hes fine.

I'm not a Minecraft fan so I never wanted the guy but I always felt he had a good chance and deserved his spot in the roster (pretty much the Cinderella of video games)

His moveset looks good from what was seen. The stage looks like a Mario Maker 2. Dont have any thoughts on the music yet. His final Smash is literally "Creeper!? Aw man".

The only thing that really hurts me is that this basically deconfirms Master Chief (and considering Doomguy was deconfirmed by Bethesda means I won't get a shooty boi).

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Steve Satisfaction: 80%
And so the Fighters Pass continues to make the next fighter more interesting than the last to me. Steve/Alex look more interesting than Min Min, who I thought was slightly more interesting than Byleth, who I prefered to Terry who I prefered to Banjo, who I preferred to Hero who I preferred to Joker.

I've never played Minecraft as...well I just missed the demographic I think, but I still think it's a HUGE deal. However...Steve is a bit of a double edge sword for me on a personal level. (Note this won't affect anyone else but myself)

About two years ago I made this animated Captain Toad moveset which involved minecarts, pickaxes and most importantly; stage manipulation blocks, and this is basically that with a non Mario coat of paint which I guess is both kinda cool (hey, I made something similar to Sakurai!) and damning as it means if Toad got a look in at all it'd likely not be anything like that. Ah well.

Alex, Enderman and Zombie getting skins is neat too. Extras like that really help and I can't wait to start messing around with block placements.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Satisfaction 60%
To say I didn‘t want him is an understatement, but…I understand that Minecraft is insanely popular. I understand there are TONS of people who like Minecraft, so I can’t be angry. Plus, this is the first Smash content we’ve seen in months, so I’ll take it while we wait for the next Fighter.

All in all, I’m pretty neutral on Steve.

Noms:
Sakura Shinguji x5

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Okay... I think I've chilled now

Steve/Alex Satisfaction: 100%

This calandar year may have been absolutely garbage, but all the Smash reveals within it at this point have all been right up my alley. And Steve/Alex are no different.

We're talking about my most wanted third party period. I've got fond memories of Minecraft back in the day. So for it to finnaly hit the big leagues in Smash is... pretty surreal, ngl.

And they look great. Love how they kept the charmingly stilted animations intact. And from what we've seen from the moveset and playstyle so far, it looks very true to Minecraft's style. Block placing is gonna be an absolute game-changer. Love the extra Zombie and Enderman alts too. Fun touch

So yeah, between Byleth, Min Min, and now Steve, I'm more than satisfied with Ultimate's roster at this point, and I can't wait to see who they add next

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Steve Satisfaction rating:
0%

Not since Piranha Plant have I been this unexcited in a new character.

I won't act like Steve doesn't deserve a spot since Minecraft is so big. While I never really got into Minecraft, it's a game that I respect for it's small origins and eventually becoming one of the biggest games ever. I would've been alright with a Steve Mii Swordsfighter costume but not an actual character.

I remember seeing a Captain Toad moveset where Toad could build tall walls to edge-guard opponents. I hated this idea and never wanted it to actually happen. Now with Steve's brick building move, this is looking to be a reality and I dread to see what this will lead to. I'll wait until the Saturday presentation to give my full thoughts on Steve's moveset but right now he's looking to be a very bland character with an annoying gimmick. Aside from his specials his moves don't look all the interesting, with his down-Smash and fishing rod moves seemingly being copied straight from Isabelle.

While creating the music posts for these ratings, I learned that Minecraft's soundtrack is mostly just slow and calming music. So after getting some absolute bangers alongside characters like Joker, Terry, and Byleth we're probably going to just get generic slow tunes with Steve. The slow piano track in his trailer supports my suspicion so needless to say I'm not hyped for the music at all. Not to mention he's only coming with 7 tracks so this will undoubtedly be the worst Challenger Pack when it comes to music.

Only good thing to come out of this is that none of my personal most wanted are directly affected by Steve's inclusion. However Master Chief who I sort of wanted is pretty much dead now and will probably get Mii Costume'd on Saturday. I'm curious how indies will be affected by Steve's inclusion. Maybe Sakurai will talk about the indie genre as a whole during the big presentation, but if Steve's inclusion kills the chances of characters like Quote and Shantae then he's gonna be my absolute most hated character ever.

I feel like I'll warm up to Steve after a very, very long time but right now I wish we got just about anyone else.

Nominations:
BotW Zelda x5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Steve Statisfaction - 40%

Don't get me wrong, Minecraft absolutely deserved something in Smash. A stage, a costume, you name it.

The only thing is that I was convinced that a terraforming character would be awful in Smash.

The thought of having to fight against a character that can force you to get around it's walls going to be annoying. Walls were banned in competitive Smash for a reason.

I may come around to it after the move set presentation, but right now my main thoughts are "don't tell me you can deny ledge with a wall" and "please tell me there is no infinite combos against a wall."

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Steve satisfaction - 100

Yep going the full 3 digits. While i didn't want him much before i was won over. Why? Because he looks so damn fun. The building mechanic looks awesome and the stage looks nowhere as repulsing as I thought it would. The character model itslef looks blah but oh well. Im really excited to play him even though I don't really want the character

Also, is Alex just an alt skin or is he an echo? Had to watch in my work bathroom so i missed that

Noms:
(Sucks rating this now) Non Steve/Chief rep x10

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I remember seeing a Captain Toad moveset where Toad could build tall walls to edge-guard opponents. I hated this idea and never wanted it to actually happen.
Alright, alright, I'm sorry Sari!

I never dreamed that gimmick would actually get used by Sakurai! Between Plant becoming a character and now the walls to edgeguard with Steve I'm beginning to feel personally responsible for a lot of the controversial DLC additions!

Incidentally, I was actually working on an updated version of Captain Toad's moveset where to balance it the walls could be damaged and broken through to prevent it from being OP on the edgeguard.

Perhaps Steve/Alex will have a similar function to prevent it from being a total game demolisher?

warpenguin55

Smash Journeyman
Satisfaction: 50%

Right in the middle. I didn't really want Steve and I'd still rather have Master Chief. At the same time, I'm not mad. Steve has earned his spot. BTW his Final Smash is hilarious.

Noms: Alex Mason x5

Mr. MR

Smash Apprentice
Steve

Satisfaction: 68%

While I don't play Minecraft, I know that the direction of games changed forever after its rise. Ok, I'm probably going to get shunned but I wanted Steve over Banjo in Fighter Pass 1 despite Banjo being from my generation. I'm mostly satisfied with Steve being in Smash because his inclusion makes Smash a more iconic game which is something that Banjo just doesn't do. Steve is Pac-Man tier of iconic being an icon that shaped a decade. At this point I'm starting to really believe that Super Smash Bros. really is the gaming hall of fame.

As for fitting into Smash, Steve and friends look oh so jank with Ultimate as the backdrop, and it's almost endearing. From what I can tell so far his playstyle looks just as jank with a healthy amount of Pac-Man tier of creativity. This character does not look stale and I think I'll have a lot fun playing him for at least a couple weeks.

Funnily enough, I made a moveset for Steve like 6-7 years ago. Since then Minecraft has evolved considerably and not many of the specials seemed to hold up but that's expected. I'm not really a Minecraft fan but I appreciate the mark he has left on gaming. For all the people who hate him, get ready to take your anger out on all the baby Steves born into 4 glory (or whatever general online is called in Ult) because this character looks very tricky to play.

If we get a Bethesda character now Microsoft would have 3 reps added into the game o_0
Oh, yeah I still want Chief in and it's not looking so good.

Noms: All noms for Impa

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Alright, alright, I'm sorry Sari!

I never dreamed that gimmick would actually get used by Sakurai! Between Plant becoming a character and now the walls to edgeguard with Steve I'm beginning to feel personally responsible for a lot of the controversial DLC additions!

Incidentally, I was actually working on an updated version of Captain Toad's moveset where to balance it the walls could be damaged and broken through to prevent it from being OP on the edgeguard.

Perhaps Steve/Alex will have a similar function to prevent it from being a total game demolisher?
Something of note is that the blocks can be seen visibly breaking after being placed. I think you just have to wait a little for the blocks to break before you get back on the stage.
I just realized something...

Steve, despite his pixelated texture, still has visibly dark skin...

...does that mean the Non-White/Asian human character concept actually happened?
I mean, we actually have a dark-skinned Alex alt. I'd list that as a yes.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
As Smash 64 released in 1999, does this mean that this is the new oldest anarchy server in Minecraft?

Satisfaction - 90%. I still can't get over how I was right. I have an atrocious track record (I was betting on Lycanroc for the Gen 7 rep, Arle for DLC5, and even Steve himself for the first Microsoft rep), I'm glad I finally got something right, and what a character for me to get right! Steve was always in my top 10, I love Minecraft and I thought Steve could fit wonderfully in Smash, and Sakurai failed to dissapoint. He was given the moveset I could've only hoped for in my dreams, and he looks like he hopped right out of Minecraft. This is literally the first character I supported who got in since Inkling, I had practically forgotten what it felt like to get someone you wanted! Unless his moveset falls apart or something, he'll probably be my main. The stage is also great. Here's hoping for pigstep...

Noms: PMD content x 15, Maxwell (Scribblenauts) x 85.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Steve: 90%

This is the golden standard for a Smash fighter. Iconic, brings the entire game with it, which just so happens to be a gamechanging mechanic like terraforming. Steve toes the line between fitting in Smash and being straight from his own game and he’s the biggest fighter they could’ve gone for. Can’t judge all without knowing the full pack of stage, moveset and music but so far I doubt I can think of a character better suited to get the hype train started up again especially since he was the rare character that was both not completely out of left field or one of the characters that The Community had turned over and discussed ad nauseam. The perfect blend of surprise and expected, with the perfect blend of Smashing and foreign, and the perfect blend of iconic and belonging in the cast of a Nintendo fighter.

And again, y’all, terra-forming. We’ve had some fighters dabbling in the trapping game with Villager, Isabelle and Pac-Man, but the block mechanic is going to bring that to a new level. It’s a great mechanic that should’ve been in Smash a long time ago and of course Steev is the perfect character for it.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Satisfaction: 75%

Not gonna lie, I'm okay with this. The animations kinda remind me of Mr. Game and Watch, and I mean that in a good way. Plus, you can tell the devs put a LOT of care and detail into the moveset given the source material. The stage is also really interesting, given it's another changing stage. Now all I have to do is wait and see which characters will get deconfirmed via Mii Costumes (are we doing anything about that presentation?).

Nominations: Billy Hatcher x10 (assuming this applies)

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Steve

90% Satisfaction

The only reason this is not a 100% is a simple biased reason: we don't know for sure if we will get any more characters after this pass (Sakurai's language leaves wiggle room and lets be honest this is selling gangbusters) and that leaves less of a shot for some characters I want way more. But lord, they did Steve far better than I thought they would even.

Let me start with one positive of his inclusion: the reactions of a few of my irl friends. One of my closest friends since middle school is super happy, Minecraft was a huge part of his life, and he is now dedicating himself to learning Steve to prove the haters wrong. One of my closest friends in college literally right before the announcement said "Look as long as it isn't Saber or Minecraft Steve I am good" and he texts in our gc later "I hate everything". Those two reactions alone are gold for me.

But beyond that, Steve is clearly a labor of love to the source material. The moveset and animations all scream Minecraft. The fact he has his classic design instead of some sort of reimagining is perfect. I just have been rewatching the trailer, and even as someone who is not a Minecraft fan I see a lot of care and charm here.

The real kicker here is the stage and music. I always said part of why I was not completely apathetic towards the blockhead is that a Minecraft stage intrigued me. And this looks great. Tons of variety as seen in the trailer. Tons of variety. This is an S Tier stage, even if the odds of it being in tournament are nil. But even more than that, the remix in the trailer slaps. If Banjo's music was too country and peaceful for Smash, expect some bangers.

This is up there with Terry and Hero as some of the shining examples of how to do a Smash character right.

Coco as Crash's Echo Concept x 10

So here are some news updates for you all.

There will be a fixed schedule! Of one day.

Day 511: Fighters Pass 2 predictions

I floated this idea round the discord, and it seems popular. For this day, write your pass predictions for the rest of FP2 and explain why. Standard rules apply. Don't worry, we likely wont do a fixed schedule again until FP 8 or 9.

Speaking of the discord, join it! It is fun there.

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Satisfaction: 99%

not 100% because of something really picky. Ultimate took code from 4, right? If Little Mac could have 16 skins, then theoretically other characters could have at least an amount lower than that or exactly that. With that in mind, a little part of me hoped that when they showed Zombie and Enderman they would also announce Skeleton or Villager. Not having those 2 skins doesn't make me hate their inclusion or Sakurai, but it's that tiny part that refuses to make me do 100%. They seem like a really fun inclusion with a really fun moveset. I don't really know what else to say, I'm just hyped as heck.

Noms: Dwight Fairfield x5

Last edited:
Top Bottom