• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

KloupLoup

Smash Cadet
Surprised how many people haven't even heard of Saki, given that he was an AT in 4...
Goes to show why ATs probably aren't enough to really put a character in the spotlight
yeah and there were quite a lot of assists, you're not gonna even remember most of them beyond a recollection of what they do

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Saki:

Chance - 0.5%

Again we have a character which is completley irrelevant. They had their AT replaced with a Mii Costume and that shows nothing good if you ask me... Sin and Punishment getting a character for DLC would leave me very shocked. Maybe a new Sin and Punishment is in the works? Nah, I doubt it.

Want - Abstain

Never played Sin and Punishment.

Nominations: Rhythm Girl x5

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Saki

Chance: 1%
His AT hasn't returned, so he isn't completely out of the running. However, he's from and old and, more or less, forgotten IP that hasn't seen much action in quite some time. He really isn't someone Nintendo has promoted in the past, so it'd be unlikely they would do so for him with paid DLC.

Want: 30%
His game was pretty fun to play and it had some cool moments. With that said, he isn't a character I'm really attached to, his abilities aren't exactly anything we haven't seen before, and he's far from a gaming icon to really catch my interest.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Saki

5% Chance

The fact we lost the Assist Trophy gave me hope and made me put him on the initial schedule. That being said, the Mii Costume IMO is a death knell. Making Mii Costumes new for this game is a bad sign. I would have said this for Ray and Chibi Robo as well. I feel the one thing that makes him stand out is how Sakurai said he would fit in as a fighter on the dojo. That initial bit of consideration and the mii costume gives me some hope Sakurai has some hope for the guy.

100% Want

Lowkey a character I really want. Sin and Punishment is a great game. Better run and gun than Star Fox 64 (fight me). Star Successor is one of the most underrated Wii games, easily top 10 imo. I like Saki's design and a gunsword would be very fun to have. Also I want some Sin and Punishment love. It and Golden Sun need some love.

Nominating Sephiroth x 5

Day over, Rate Paper Mario and Predict Toad and Captain Toad (Double Day)

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Paper Mario

Chance: 30% 5%
While I don't think there is much of a shot for the Paper version of Mario considering we already have two Marios, the fact that we have three Links doesn't really make it a mark against him. That said despite having two hugely successful games he has sort of fallen off recently with a poorly received game and then a supporting role in a different game. Only way I see him making it would be some announcement for a new Paper Mario game.

Want: 30%
I think there is some potential for a unique moveset that wouldn't make him feel like another Mario. I also happen to love his games so I wouldn't be upset at all to see him, but there are several others I'd want before him.

Prediction: Toad 35%/Captain Toad 25%

Nominations: Ravio x5

EDIT: Didn't realize he had a spirit, drop my chance to 5%

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Paper Mario:
Chance: 1%. Mark my words: Ultimate is not going to have a third Mario newcomer.
Want: 1%. Not attached to PM (haha nice pun) at all.

Toad: 0.5%. Captain Toad: 1%.
Nominations: Revali x5

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Best option for a Mario RPG rep
Chance: 10%
Ayy, a character people actually recognise and would be able to sell. Such a shame we kinda have to give any first-party after Joker's reveal such low ratings. Hopefully DLC character 2 can fix that. Anyway, Paper Mario still has a couple more things going against him besides that. Such as there already being a Paper Mario stage and Piranha Plant already kinda filling the need for a Mario DLC character, although we did get two FE characters as DLC last game so who knows...

Want: 83%
He used to be of my most wanted characters, untill I considered the possibility of him representing his more late notsowellreceived games. He was kinda forgotten about when the Geno hypetrain was at its strongest, (good thing that derailed) so I'll happily support him regardless. He and his fans deserve it. Also, at the moment any first-party character that isn't FE or Pokemon gets a slight percentage bonus from me.

Captain Toad: 6.76%
Toad: 2.81%

Hollow Knight x5

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Paper Mario

Yeah probably not happening. He's actually pretty popular but that's about all he has going for him. He doesn't really fit the bill for DLC as a character that's gonna get the corporate motors running, so to speak.

Want: 0%
Never had much interest in Paper Mario, unfortunately. I know he'd be more than "just another Mario," he's got some popularity, and he could be unique, but I just feel that in his case a stage and some Spirits is probably enough. I guess you can argue that Paper Mario is a separate series from Mario, but I still count it as being under the same branding. And Paper Mario himself is apparently not the same as regular Mario, but it's kind of the same deal as the Links all being different characters. Another big thing against him is that both Waluigi and Geno are in front of him in line for Mario reps. So I can see why people want him, but he falls short of me personally wanting him in.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
It's a plane! It's a boat! It's Paper Mario!

Chance: 20%. I believe that Spirits are disconfirmations, but if there's a character that can prove me wrong, it's Paper Mario. That being said, Piranha Plant and Paper Mario already has a stage. So until DLC Wave 2, if that's even going to be a thing, we can't expect the guy.

Want: 80%. He's tied for my number 2, and while I wouldn't give up Arle for anything, Paper Mario makes me at least consider it (which only Banjo can make me do). I consider him the clear cut best candidate for a new Mario RPG rep, and do hope that he gets his chance in the Ultimate Smash Bros. He's crapping so much moveset potential that I almost consider it a negative because no two people will make the same moveset.

The Toads are going to have 1.25% for Toad and 11.72% for Captain Toad. One of them is a stage cameo with no active presence, and the other has an active role as an NPC.
----

Since Arle and Tails are kinda in the same boat after Joker happened, and because she's so far ahead of everybody else in the noms list, I propose that Arle be removed from the nominations list, and Tails day becomes a double day for both Tails and Arle.

If so, Gen 8 Pokémon x 5. If not, Arle Nadja x 5.

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Dang it I missed yesterday.
Abstaining from paper man.
Toad prediction: 1%
Toad with a hat prediction: 2%
Noms: Stages outside Fighter Pass x5

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Paper Mario

- We already have Daisy & Piranha Plant.
- Paper Mario series is in limbo right now.
- Probably isn't seen as profitable for DLC.

Want: 20%

-I like the first three games.
-But I personally don't want him in.

Toad Prediction: 0.88%
Captain Toad Prediction: 1.07%

Nominate All DLC is 3rd Party x5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Ok I'm gonna go back to rating chance %'s (for first parties at the very least) since abstaining all of the time gets boring. If I'm completely wrong then at least I can look back on my posts and have a good laugh at them.

Paper Mario

Chance: 5%
Decently popular but overshadowed by more popular picks. Also IIRC Color Splash didn't sell too hot so they might not even consider him.

Want: 70%
While I've only played the first Paper Mario and Sticker Star (never bothered completing that piece of garbage) I think Paper Mario would be great for Smash. All I hope is that they somehow incorporate his partners into his moveset somehow should he ever make it in.

Captain Toad chance prediction: 2.11%
Toad chance prediction: 1.42%

Nominations:
Concept: SNK rep x5

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Mr. Game and Mario
Want: 70%

Oh look! A Mario variant that wouldn't be a dumb clone! I would be rating him higher if he didn't have a spirit though. Also about Reggie telling us to expect characters we wouldn't expect, (mostly from new series) I sadly don't expect Paper Mario to make the cut. Which is a shame because Paper Mario got a 70% want score from me, and I added him to the lower end of my wanted list. I think Paper Mario deserves much more representation than just a stage (based on Sticker Star of all games) and some spirits. He would also have a unique moveset based on a lot of the moves from his game, and he can also summon his partners from his entire series to assist him in attacks. Let's not forget his iconic hammer swing. I hope his series gets back to it's original roots, because Nintendo has been caring about their fans quite a lot recently, and did the same thing with Mario Party.

Captain Toad 1.62%
Toad: 0.78%

Reaper x5

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Paper Mario

Chance: 2 - I really don't see this happening for DLC. For the base roster, sure, we have 3 Links so Paper Mario could pop in as an echo or whatever, but since we aren't getting echos in this pack I don't see a good path for him. I also don't think he'd fit Reggie's comment of characters nobody would expect making it in smash

Want: 0 - Would feel pretty let down if Paper Mario was one of the DLC characters. He would fit way better in the base roster

Noms:
Gen 8 Pokemon x5

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Joker is a great addition but the message with his inclusion is clear, "don't expect characters fans want to see". Paper Mario doesn't have much chance when that's the case and even if it was there a fair number of characters more popular than he is. A shame too as with Sticker Star and Color Splash being lukewarm at best and outright garbage at worst his popularity only seems to dimish with time.

Want: 100%
He is my third most wanted character. The Paper Mario games are the best RPGs Mario has starred in and it should have a place in Smash as more than just a stage.

Paper Mario could pop in as an echo or whatever,
He actually can't be an echo. The bodies types aren't the same so even if they wanted to make him an echo which wouldn't make sense given that his ability set is different from standard Mario he wouldn't be an echo.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Over 200

Arle Nadja x275

200 - 151

Rhythm Girl x190
Concept: All DLC will be third-party x190
Nero Claudius (Fate) x160

150 - 101

Grovyle x145
Concept: More DLC x140
Concept: Gen 8 Pokemon x136
Mach Rider x135
Concept: Stages outside Fighter Pass x130
Reaper (Overwatch) x130
Reimu Hakurei x120
Concept: No fan favorite/highly requested characters x110
Kat & Ana x110
Professor Hector x104

100 - 51

Concept: Third-party character from unrepped Company x95
Hollow Knight x92
Boss: Kracko x85
Impa x82
Andy (Advance Wars) x80
Lora (Xenoblade) x75
Porky Minch x66
Sephiroth x55

50 - 25

Concept: Boss Rush x50
Concept: SNK rep x50
Ravio x45
9-Volt x44
Creeper x37
Papyrus x35
Concept: Assist Trophy becomes Fighter x30
Spyro x27
Ninten x26
Thrall (Warcraft) x25
Dark Matter x25

Under 25

Boss: Perfect Chaos x20
Frisk x20
Hector (Fire Emblem) x15
Pyra & Mythra (sans Rex) x15
Concept: Dragalia Lost rep x10
Decidueye x10
Concept: Bethesda rep x10
Frog (Chrono Trigger) x10
Concept: Style Savvy rep x10
Blacephalon x5
Zhao Yun (Dynasty Warriors) x5
Amaterasu x5
Monokuma x5
Concept: Another joke character x5
Neptune x5
Concept: Crazi Taxi rep x5
Oliver (Ni No Kuni) x5
Ryu Hayabusa x5
Concept: Free updates (Splatoon-style) x5
Courier (Fallout) x5
Earthworm Jim x5
Concept: Spirits aren’t disconfirmations x5
Scorpion x5
Cooking Mama x5
Lizalfos x4
Toon Zelda x3
Urbosa x1
Boss: Sans x1
[Rerate] Steve? x1

Nero Claudius crosses the 150 nomination mark.

Sephiroth cuts past 50 noms.

Dark Matter reaches 25 nominations.

Today’s newcomers are Cooking Mama (5 noms) and Sans as a boss (1 nom).

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Paper Mario

He is popular, but his series is going on a downward trend sales wise. If they are going to make another Paper Mario game then he will be here, otherwise, his chances are dead.

Want: 10%
I haven't played a Paper Mario game. But, he does look interesting.

Nominate: Kat & Ana x5

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
The Legendary Series that got Sticker Star'ed
Chance: 40%: Honestly I think him or Geno are both likely candidates for a Mario RPG Rep. But he probably won't get a new game soon which kinda kills his chaces.
Want: 95%: 5% marked off for if he's based off Sticker Star and Color Splash. But he would be AWESOME if he was based off the original two games and Super (Third most underrated Mario game behind Sunshine and Mario Land 2). I would LOVE to see him playable.
Predictions: The Pickaxe Wielding Warrior: 35%
Peach's Meatshield: 5%
Nominations:
Hollow Knight x5

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Toon Mario

So, it's been a while...What was last time like...

A 2-D character who uses a hammer? So :gawmelee:? Honestly, haven't played any of the Paper series, but I'd rather see Daisy AND Waluigi before any other Mario characters.
Well, we've got three Links now, but the two 'not the real ones' are vets. It was the original that got most of the new stuff. I guess I could see them bringing in another Mario, but I don't know how many changes they'd end up making beyond the 'real' one.

Looking back on release dates, they did have Paper Jam come out right around the time the roster was finalized, and there Paper Mario interacts with Mario, so it's obvious they're two different characters. And a year later, we got Color Splash. Seems like a lot for him.

Still, I'll stick with the sentiment I had before, but the chance is definitiely going up.

Chance: 15%
Well, the PM stage is back, but it's not looking good for any of the Mario RPG characters not named Geno. And it doesn't even look too hot for him now either.

So, take the same "you've got a spirit" arguments from before, and add to that the "Mario is oversaturated" and "we don't need another Mario!" that crops up around this character, along with the whole "the last game was disappointing" and you've got another rating.

My rating: I. Am. Not. Into. JRPGs. Now with a Squeenix character expected and Joker in, I'm not really psyched about the direction of the DLC as it stands now. Now if we get a Western RPG rep...specifically one with the power to Fus Ro Dah everyone off the edge of Battlefield...then 100% want for everyone! Until then, let's leave that alone.

Chance: 2%

Nom: More DLC x5
and I'm just noticing that "DLC echoes" is a thing people are nominating, so I guess "More DLC" specifically means "Fighter Pack 2".

Artix

Smash Journeyman
Paper Mario

With 3 Links in the same game, I'm giving Paper Mario a bit higher rating than usual. But after Piranha Plant, I don't think they would add another Mario character as DLC and even if they did, Nintendo would most likely someone unexpected than Paper Mario. Not to mention, he doesn't even have a game to promote at this point unless it's announced right after it's reveal, but I highly doubt it. Again, Joker's inclusion really hurts first-party characters a lot, so there's that.

Want: 85%
I'm not gonna lie, I actually like Paper Mario a lot. I have played some of the Paper Mario games and I'm liking every single one of them. As for Smash, it may not be my most wanted character, but I still want Paper Mario in Smash...even if his chances aren't really good right now.

Captain Toad Prediction: 7.24%
Toad Prediction: 3.22%

Nominations:
Nero Claudius (Fate) x5

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Paper Mario

Chance: 9%

It feels like first parties aren't very likely this time round, and I'm still iffy on whether or not I think Spirits deconfirm. I suppose (regular) Mario has multiple different Spirits so it's not completely out the question. He's in a better position than fellow Mario characters Waluigi and the two Toads we're rating tomorrow as he currently lacks a role outside being a spirit.

Want: 50%
Appropriately for a character made of paper, it's a flip for me right now. Paper Mario is certainly deserving having a pretty successful series, and there's a lot you can theoretically do with him...but are there partners? That's my biggest concern. If so, whack that rating up to 75%, if not it drops to 25%. I really like the partners and their abilities in the first two games.

There's also the fact I'm not massively keen on multiples of the same character. I heavily dislike we have three Links, two Samus(Dark Samus merely looks like Samus), Zelda and Zelda in ninja crossplay and Mario playing doctor as a fighter. Paper Mario IS a better option than these admittedly since he's not the same person nor shares original Mario's reincarnated soul, but I'd still prefer Toad OR Captain Toad(more on that tomorrow) and Waluigi to an additional Mario.

Erase Dr. Mario and I'd be slightly more leniant, but he'd still be third on my list of Mario choices...ironically would still have him over about half the current Mario Smash cast in terms of personal preference for the roster.

Toad prediction: 5.6%, Captain Toad prediction: 7.2%

KloupLoup

Smash Cadet
Paper Mario
Chance=25%
I don't believe anything is a deconformation I know "He's a spirit" "His franchise is going downhill" "We already got the stage, daisy, and piranha plant" LISTEN We have no clue what Sakurai is gonnnnaaaa dooooo. He does things just because he can. While most of you may not have liked Sticker Star as much, I really enjoyed what I remember playing of it, and honestly it could be time for another Paper Mario game. Release A new Paper Marion Game, base Paper Mario SOLEY on that game, and say he's the "new age" 2D charachter, and include game and watch in his reveal trailer. Also this is based on the assumption that Joker's inclusion means absolutely nothing for all other characters coming and my assumption that We are going to get like 20-50 more characters by the end of this game's lifecycle (6-8 years)

Want=50% I'm of the opinion that Paper Mario is a completely separate series, and thus makes him a completely separate character than regular Mario. (May I also say after playing My NES classic that Dr. Mario may be one of my favorite games ever) He could have a totally separate moveset than really any character on the roster IMO. Also not to mention how just because Game and Watch is a 2D character with a hammer doesn't really mean anything sense game and Watch's hammer doesn't function as a hammer but more of a gimmick (the number judgement). Overall I feel like who can and cant get in is pretty arbitrary, because Sakurai can do whatever he wants. This game is his baby and if he wanted to put Goku in, I honestly think Nintendo would let him. Also I don't really get why people think that we got Joker means we wont have any 1st party or lesser known characters. When you think of it even though LOTS of people love Persona, ther's a lot more who barely know it, or don't know it at all. It really just supports my Sakurai does what he does sense he coooooonnnnstantly talks about how much he loves Persona as a game and from a design perspective.
cooking mamax5
toad=5.85%
Captain Toad=6.25%

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Tree Paste version of an Italian Plumber

Chance: 3%. I can't see it happening. Nothing's really happened to push Paper Mario into a DLC pick. Maybe if we get another game for a hypothetical pack 2, but I don't know.

Want: Abstain. The only PM game I've played is the least likely to get referenced (SPM), so I don't really care one way or the other.

Noms: Grovyle x5

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Flat Kingdom

Paper Mario gets killed by already having a stage, literally named Paper Mario (stages have gotten way less creative over the years). Paper Mario is also a Spirit. After Piranha Plant, I don’t see them doing another Mario character.

And if all of the previous points don’t matter, then he has to compete with Waluigi, Toad, Geno, and any other Mario spin-off character.

Want: 100%
It’s truly a sad thing, what happened to Paper Mario. The first three are probably some of my favorite RPGs. Plus we’d actually have a Mario that represents other aspects of Mario, Mario’s eternal moveset is getting kinda stale.

Mushroom people prediction: 24%

Nominations Mach RiderX5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Paper Mario

Chance - 0.5% - Parana Plant basically kills any chance a second Mario character has for DLC. Even if that weren't true, there is too much competition to give an accurate Mario reading.

Want - 50% - I can accept him I guess. There are many more exiting characters, but I can tolerate him seeing how important he used to be.

Prediction

Toad - 0.73% - Peach and Dasy say hi.

Captain Toad - 1.34% - New Donk City isn't as bad, but still bad.

Nominations

Dark Matter X5

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Paper Mario

Chance: 3%
With the DLC being focused around surprising and exciting inclusions, I don't really see an alternate form of Mario making it in no matter how different he could be. Couple that with Piranha Plant being a Mario character already and things aren't looking so hot for the flat plumber.

He's just not very interesting as a fighter to me anymore. Plus, I would rather see others get in as DLC.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
A Third Mario to match the Link, Young and Toon.

As said in the title, it isn't completely out of the question based on the design alone. In fact, I'd say that with Paper Mario getting 5 games under his belt and costarring in a 6th (Paper Jam), he is much more relevant in comparison to Toon Link who is only a variant of Link in Wind Waker. But, because I shouldn't be spending my time comparing him to meeting the criteria for other characters who are already in the game (admittedly either Young Link or Toon Link probably wouldn't be in the game if "Everyone is Here" wasn't the motto), let's talk about why his chances are... pretty bad as of now actually. Time and time again I will refer back to the spirits purging the chances of characters that are a part of it, but I am not completely doubtful; just that it substantially lowers the chances. And also Reggie's comments. So yeah. Extra points for not being a Mii Costume or an Assist Trophy...

Chance: 7.5%

Much more than Young Link or Toon Link or Dr. Mario, Paper Mario would play completely different from Mario, and very much so deserves representation besides a stage. That being said, I have begun to be discouraged for his chances, for the last thing that Nintendo probably is thinking for their third party DLC pack is to have a third Mario. Yet, I do value his uniqueness. Much like Saki, Ray, and Chibi, I have started setting my sights elsewhere for new characters that might have a shot at making the cut. Paper Mario is not one of them. He is one of the characters I am holding out for along with Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong, Impa and Karate Joe, and anything could happen. Easily one of my top picks before the 11/1 Direct, but he is spoiling pretty quickly with me, landing him at...

The other four characters manage to keep their chances a bit higher due to not being based off of another character (debatable with Dixie, but she passes as unique and not Diddyette with me).

Nominations: Impa x4, Boss: Sans x1

Predictions Captain Toad: 0.86%
Predictions Toad: 0.46%

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Well...

Paper Mario

Chance: 15%

He's overall in weird territory to be a playable character; I think he's in a position good enough (the closest thing he has to a permanent positon in the game is a Spirit, the character it's well known, and it's a character with a loyal fanbase) to don't be considered completely out of question; but questionable (there already exists a stage with his name, Spirits are overall quite grey-ish territory too) enough to make his chances being... not exactly good... So I decided to went my generic rating for Smash Characters with some following to appear in this game.

Want: 40%

Eh... I'm not that interested in a Mario made of paper, sorry guys.

____

Predictions:

Captain Toad: 6.6%
Toad: 4.3%

Nominations:

Reimu Hakurei x5

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Paper Mario

Chance: 20%
Wait, he has a spirit fight? Aw jeez.

The thoroughness that Spirits comb through Nintendo history have me thinking that they're almost as good as deconfirmations. Still, Paper Mario's a guy with plenty of unique history behind him, and a good amount of support from those who enjoyed his earlier games. Not completely out of the question that Nintendo might want to have Sakurai try and figure out what to do with him, in their stead.

Want: 75%
Anyone afraid that a Paper Mario moveset would primarily evoke Sticker Star or Color Splash is being ridiculous - just look at King K. Rool and how much of him comes from the original Rare games. Even Piranha Plant, of all characters, references Paper Mario with an entire special--even though there were a dozen other more modern moves they could've gone with. Sakurai knows well enough which Paper Mario games gave the franchise traction in the first place, and there's so much love in Ultimate for all those older games that've lost relevance over the years. Unless Nintendo got that picky over what the moveset could do (and again, we already know they approved of Piranha Plant performing something he's only ever done in Paper Mario), I've got plenty of faith that a Paper Mario set from Sakurai would be a reverent effort.

Prediction
Toad: 1.2%
Captain Toad: 4%

Nominations
Frisk x5

PapillonXtreme

Smash Apprentice
Paper Mario

After Piranha Plant, I just don't see any Mario character getting in as DLC, except for maybe Geno. He may be popular, but I don't think that's enough for Nintendo to warrant it a spot in DLC and he has nothing to promote. Also, if I remember correctly, Color Splash didn't even perform well so I don't think he would be a profitable character to put as DLC. I also think that Paper Mario isn't a character that is completely unexpected and would generate hype upon it's reveal.

I like Paper Mario and all, but there are other characters that I want in first before I can even consider him. Not to mention, out of the Mario characters that I want as DLC, Geno is on top of my list, so there's that.

Nominations:
Nero Claudius x5

LYD

Smash Rookie
Paper Mario

Chance: 4%
I think the issue with Paper Mario is that he probably won’t sell as much as other third parties like Joker will and like Bayonetta did. Been a while since the last Paper Mario game and the character isn’t exactly relevant currently. I mean, I guess he is a bit of an unexpected pick, but he has plenty of competition in the unexpected department, so overall I find Paper Mario pretty unlikely.

Want: 36%
This character really doesn’t click for me. I believe I played a game or two of Paper Mario but I didn’t enjoy the series as much as the Mario & Luigi series, for instance. That being said, the Mario RPG series could use a representative and I’d be happy for the Paper Mario playerbase if he did get in. In addition I guess he would make for a pretty interesting moveset.

Nominations: Kamek 5x

FancySmash

Smash Lord
The Mario spin-off that went flat

A number of things lead to Paper Mario not making the cut. Take the looking direction of DLC with Joker revealed, take Piranha Plant somehow edging out Geno, Waluigi, and (Captain) Toad just outside of Paper Mario, take Mario having the largest selection of playable characters on the roster (though that is to be expected, come on all, Mario is Nintendo's bread and butter). I will admit, seeing spirits like Kammy Koopa in Ultimate does give him a little bit of leverage, so all hope isn't totally lost.

Honestly, I have no clue how Paper Mario would turn out as a character. Remember the Kammy Koopa spirit I mentioned? Seeing that makes me want to believe that he'd have some content from PM64 through Super Paper Mario (I did notice Mr. L) in his moveset. Then... there's the stage only taking 1/3 from TTYD, and the rest from... Sticker Star. Ideally, Paper Mario would have 64/TTYD things, SPM things, and SS/CS things to be shown off, but exactly how he'd be represented is the biggest question Aside from that, Toad and Waluigi have been shunned for quite a while, then there's Mario's other RPG boy...

Predictions:
Well, speak of said rather fun guy, it's the fungi, Captain Toad and... Toad. I'm going to rate the two as separate, though I'm not sure if the Captain thing is something Toad took up as an alias, kinda like Kaptain K. Rool to King K. Rool...
Captain Toad: 12.89%
Toad: 1.99%

Nominate: Professor Hector x5
(thanks GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 for the nominations reminders, I'm still holding onto them for the time being if that's alright)

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Paper Mario

5% Chance

Spirits to me seem like a death knell. The fact they have a gameplay role kind of makes them more of a big deal than I initially thought. It also doenst help that he is in a series that is getting a Unique and Echo fighter already.

60% want

This used to be way higher. He used to be one of my most wanted. But the direction Nintendo is going with paper Mario is bad. Sticker Star is unforgivable and color splash was bland. Paper Jam was a disappointment. I know if they use him, he will be like the games I do not like. Ergo, I want him less. Also competition etc.

Sephiroth x 5

If reasoning for chance is long enough, it doesn’t matter if that for want is not.
Correct. Chance reasonings or want reasonings that have enough effort can override a one sentence post.

Edit: 11:10 AM EST. One hour warning for ending the day.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Day over. Rate Toad and Captain Toad (Toad was added today for a request) and predict Professor Layton.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Did I miss Paper Mario by 20 minutes, really? If I can I will put my thoughts here anyway just in case they can be counted.

Paper Mario:

Chance - 8%

Paper Mario likely did at least decently on the ballot and hey he is a Nintendo character after all.... However, the last 2 games in the series were not recieved too well and Nintendo seems to lack any interest in the series and are more bargaining off of Mario and Luigi it seems. Also he wouldn't really be unexpected but who knows what Nintendo means by that definition.

Want - 60%

I have always been fond of the first 3 Paper Mario games and I think seeing him in Smash would be pretty cool. A perfect representation of Mario RPG games in my opinion.

Toad:

Chance - 10%

Toad is more relevant than Paper Mario currently which is the only distinguishing feature, he could be seen as unexpected because of being in a moveset. Either way he is the most important Mario character not yet in Smash and if they really want to pull another Mario character I can see it being him but I doubt it anyway.

Want - 80%

I love Toad and really think he deserves a shot in Smash due to his legacy. I could envision a really creative moveset for him.

Captain Toad:

Chance - 12%

I will give him slightly more than Toad just because his game is semi-recent but other than that he is exactly the same. I don't really have anything else to say apart from the fact that he appears on New Donky City Hall but they could just do an Alfonzo by removing him or replacing him with Toadette.

Want - 75%

I think I might prefer just Toad because he is more iconic but honestly I could have either and wouldn't mind. Also Treasure Tracker is super underrated and a ton of fun!

Nominations: Rhythm Girl x??? (Since this is a double post for me since I missed Paper Mario does that mean I get 10 or is it just 5?)

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Read the following in Toad's voice, I dare you

BUP

Chance: 0.00001 (consider it 0%) since he's part of Paisy's moveset. Plus, even if disconfirmations don't exist, he's pretty far back on the Mario queue with Geno, Paper Mario, Waluigi, arguably Goomba, Fawful, and more waiting in line.

Want: 30%. I like playing as Toad in Mario Party and Mario Baseball and stuff, but I'm not going to give everybody I like over 50% want. I just don't really care for all intents and purposes.

Ready for adventure!

Chance: 10%. We're looking at a third party, new series focused set of DLC, and I'm not sure if there's enough room for him. New Donk doesn't matter as much though, since he can be Alfonzo'd unlike Pauline.

Want: 20%. My only experience with him is Super Mario 3D World, and while that was fun, it's not quite enough to entice me to get Treasure Tracker. I don't remember if he was in the Galaxy Twins, which says things.

Arle Nadja x 5. Professor Layton is going to have 46.28% chance, things are lining up in his favor.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
FROG
Chance: 0%
CRAPPING FROG

No. These two are basically disconfirmed, as Toad is still stuck up Peach's dress, and Captain Toad is just a background character. They also both have spirits which hurt their already horrendous chances. Neither of them have much moveset potential, and there are other Mario characters I would like to see other than them. Also, Captain Toad can't jump. Another major problem.

Layton: 10.62%

Reaper x5

Last edited:
Top Bottom