• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.I.P. Kjell Anders "Nappy" Peterson.

Jrugs

Smash Ace
yeah bro, just use your nades just like kurobi or Black belt.........then its totally easy to use snake.

Jrugs

Smash Ace
That was just a generally good video, not specifically for Aerodrome lol
No that vid was amazing, but that comment wasnt for aerodrome I just ment in general how not that easy it is to main :snake:

And I wanted to be a moderator :(

Maining snake is like spacies vs marth in melee. At first, spacies get destroyed by marth, then they learn tech skill and destroy lol marths.

At first Snake destroys people with tilts, then they learn how to play and destroy Snake.

Bonds

Smash Journeyman
I made a huge breakthrough in my gameplay today with defensive 'nade usage

Proper defensive nade usage is so broken against icies and dedede, it's ********. I went from getting grabbed every 30 seconds against Lux's icies to like twice per game unless I screw up really bad. I also took him to last stock last hit with nana gone tonight, but my c4 timed out on me... >_>

I'm reconsidering making the matchup discussion/common setups thread now that I can actually contribute something

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
I've always been a fan of matchup threads, but my community is so small, I only feel like I can contribute to a small number of matchups accurately.

Also, going to a rather large tourney this weekend. Gotta outcamp a really gay wario...

:phone:

Okuser

Smash Ace
gay warios are the worstttt, I just beat a skilled pikachu in a tournament tonight so I'm pretty happy about that. why isn't there a snake skype chat or some **** like other characters have

etecoon

Smash Hero
like everything, it doesn't exist because snake's are lazy

I think the idea came up as far back as 2009 too rofl

edit: I actually played brawl today. my snake is better than my marth again, marth is high maintenance lol. my MK is still about 80% of what it was 8 months ago, I've theorized that in addition to generally being amazing, characters like MK or olimar that can buffer a ton of stupid frame traps lose their edge a lot slower than other characters...so you're all pretty screwed when the URC is finally forced to admit that the ban was a joke

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I find it amusing that the URC is apparently being dissolved 3 days before Unity 3.0 was to be released.

It seems like a bit of a kick in the crotch to be honest.

That said, I haven't heard of an official announcement from the senate yet. So I dunno.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
I find it amusing that the URC is apparently being dissolved 3 days before Unity 3.0 was to be released.

It seems like a bit of a kick in the crotch to be honest.

That said, I haven't heard of an official announcement from the senate yet. So I dunno.
where did u hear this?

etecoon

Smash Hero
this is great news for smash wii u, I think the damage has more or less already been done to brawl though

Attila_

BRoomer
it should have been trialled.

i think it opened up the possibility of mk banned tournaments, which are healthy in doses.

if the community wanted a sweeping ban, it needed to be done years ago. at the same time, in 09/10 people claimed that the metagame was still developing, and that other characters would catch up to mk. so the community waited, and things got worse. but then it was already far too late.

i suppose now we know for next time.

etecoon

Smash Hero
plus the wii u has a hard drive and better internet, it will support patches so when sakurai realizes that meta knight is overpowered he can nerf him a bit and make ganon and captain falcon better t-

HAHAHAHHAHAH

god dammit nintendo

My hopes for WiiU Smash are down simply because of the type of controller they use and the fact it is to be compatible between the 3DS and WiiU. Nothing about this seems to foreshadow a deep and quick pace game.

I could still be plenty wrong. I am surprised people manage to play fighters on a fight stick.

etecoon

Smash Hero
My hopes for WiiU Smash are down simply because of the type of controller they use and the fact it is to be compatible between the 3DS and WiiU. Nothing about this seems to foreshadow a deep and quick pace game.

I could still be plenty wrong. I am surprised people manage to play fighters on a fight stick.
I don't play traditional fighters but I thought the fight stick was pretty much standard? like people using a regular controller get mocked "oh, you lost to a noob using a standard controller!?". could be wrong but I thought I've seen a few of those kinds of posts around

I kind of want to get into street fighter or something since I'm out of brawl and still have a lot of general fighting theory bouncing around my head, but it seems a little daunting in terms of being more technical and just the time it would take to get into a new game

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I think patching games stunts the meta game. In my opinion, it is because MK is better than the rest that people have pushed their characters to the limit. No patches forces people to come up with ways to overcome their character problems instead of just waiting for the next patch to come out to change their problem. Not to mention the problems that come with having to readjust to every change and figure out what the differences are each time.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I'm against constant patching as that can be an issue, but I think having the ability is a plus as long as it is used conservatively. as I implied anyway though, sakurai hates the fact that we play his perfect party game competitively and goes out of his way to make smash less viable, so I don't have much hope for smash U to begin with

Attila_

BRoomer
i dont have much faith in wiiU smash either. melee was awesome, the peak of the series, then brawl was a 'more gay' version of the game, which many of the mechanics used were implemented to make the game easier to play. i'd imagine they'd continue on with this trend. after all, we're talking about nintendo.

I think patching games stunts the meta game. In my opinion, it is because MK is better than the rest that people have pushed their characters to the limit. No patches forces people to come up with ways to overcome their character problems instead of just waiting for the next patch to come out to change their problem. Not to mention the problems that come with having to readjust to every change and figure out what the differences are each time.
im gonna disagree here.

so many characters were abandoned early, due to being terrible. only a handful of people were left playing them (samus, yoshi, sheik, ike, etc), which significantly stunted their metagame. but mk's metagame, due to the shear number of people playing him, and playing against him, flourished more than any other.

if the game was more even, more people who have stuck to their originial characters, and pushed their respective metagames forward.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I think it worked out ok for characters like diddy, olimar, falco, snake, but yeah, low/mid tiers kind of got hosed with a few exceptions...and yes, MK's popularity was also a big factor in how quickly he took over, a new MK player has much more of a reference going in compared to any other character, where a lot of characters maybe have one or two really good players and if your play style is completely different than theirs you're pretty much on your own, a new MK player will never face that problem with the diversity of MK players

I don't play traditional fighters but I thought the fight stick was pretty much standard?

...but it seems a little daunting in terms of being more technical and just the time it would take to get into a new game
I do not play other fighters except on controllers lol

Honestly, that would probably make the game more fun in in the long run is having that challenge. I had issues adjusting to melee, but after that initial couple of months, it kept me coming back over and over.
I think patching games stunts the meta game.
I think it depends upon the patch release and the amount of time between releases. If you wait like 5 years, it is probably a could amount of time to warrant a patch.

if the game was more even, more people who have stuck to their originial characters, and pushed their respective metagames forward.
I dunno. Melee is lasting pretty well with really only like 7 characters. Falcon, Peach, Jiggs, Marth, Shiek, Fox and Falco. Not to mention a handful of others.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
im gonna disagree here.

so many characters were abandoned early, due to being terrible. only a handful of people were left playing them (samus, yoshi, sheik, ike, etc), which significantly stunted their metagame. but mk's metagame, due to the shear number of people playing him, and playing against him, flourished more than any other.

It's true that the bad characters get abandoned by quite a few people who are too lazy to put the time into developing the metagame, but it doesn't mean it couldn't have been pushed if people had stuck with it. Sonic, for example, was considered really bad by everyone for quite awhile but people stuck with him because they're sonic fanboys or whatever. Sonic has sprung up the tier list, and IMO still isn't as high as he should be. Patching the game to make him better wouldn't have pushed him to his limits, and if they still did in the end, he would be a whole lot better than he already is. Just an example. I've talked with people from other fighting games that have patching, and the general consensus from what I've gathered is that it isn't good in the long run.

If patches are going to be done, I would agree with Xelyode that they need to have a long time in between patches and only minor patches at that. But we're talking about nintendo here, they're never going to patch it so who cares lol.

I have not really played anyone to find out, but he offers so many more little tricks it seems worth the fun of playing him.

-Cypher gives an electrical hurtbox which given DI might combo into his aerials, but I am not sure of the hitstun on the move. It looks like it could make for a great out of shield punish if it was fast enough.
-He can move characters while holding them in grab with the control pad. Move them closer to the ledge and throw with c-stick. Or throw them into a land mine.
-Nade blows up in 2 seconds rather than 3.
-Landmines are infinitely faster and given the ledge mechanics makes it fun to blow people up when placed there.
-He gets a little knife thrust for crouching and his fsmashed is changed to knife slashes.
-His aerials are infinitely more appealing. SH Nair is awesome.

Overall, the changes they gave him in demo 1 and demo 2 make him out to be a much more fun character from brawl. Many of his moves are really not that applicable in brawl.

Jrugs

Smash Ace
Yeah I love snake in project M, but I dont have the melee tech skill to play him or the game well enough :( But project M gave snake more individuality.

F A N G

Smash Journeyman
Do you think I should try and go to this?

MELEE-FC

It's in the same city I live in, but I don't know how my parents would feel about it

Wow, that is incredibly lucky. From what I have read, FC was an old tournament series back in '05 and previous. If you went, it might be a pretty good experience for meeting all sorts of older players and newer ones.

If you have not been to tournament before not sure what sort of example it might set from your parents point of view. Sort of your call in the end.

Top Bottom