• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

quotes anyone?

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Here's one of my favorites :

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." -Stephen Roberts

Khanczar

Smash Ace
"The Americans got owned in the world cup." - Michael Wilbon, PTI

I was surprised to hear a sports announcer say owned... Maybe they'll start sying w00t and pwnz0r too!

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
"So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
blue skies from pain.
Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?
And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
Hot ashes for trees?
Hot air for a cool breeze?
Cold comfort for change?
And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
How I wish, how I wish you were here.
We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,
Running over the same old ground.
What have we found? The same old fears.
Wish you were here."

-Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd, 1975

It may be a song, but it's also one of my favorite quotes, since its meaning and symbolism makes it more than just a mere song.

twally

Smash Apprentice
"So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
blue skies from pain.
Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?
And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
Hot ashes for trees?
Hot air for a cool breeze?
Cold comfort for change?
And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
How I wish, how I wish you were here.
We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,
Running over the same old ground.
What have we found? The same old fears.
Wish you were here."

-Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd, 1975

It may be a song, but it's also one of my favorite quotes, since its meaning and symbolism makes it more than just a mere song.
*a moment of silence*

i love this song, and i too believe the symbolism and meaning are amazing. it is poetry at its finest!

now for another quote from a book i am reading by paulo coelho the alchemist

"to realize one's destiny is a person's only obligation."

Kragen

Smash Ace
Most of these are originally in Dutch, I'll try to translate them

"The best disguise of a devil is an angel"
Anton Quintana

"Maybe it's true
that you can defeat dragons,
but that doesn't necessarilly mean
that dragons exist."
Anton Quintana

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
Furthermore, I think that Carthagho must be destroyed
Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius maior (Cato Maior)

super_sonic

Smash Journeyman
in hylule castle,northeast tower room 472
"Mmmmmmhhh.... Beer......" ~Homer Simpson

But if were talking serious quotes I have a few.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
Napoleon Bonaparte
French general & politician (1769 - 1821)

People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest.
Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962)

The worst sin - perhaps the only sin - passion can commit, is to be joyless.
Dorothy L. Sayers (1893 - 1957), Gaudy Night

Don't be discouraged by a failure. It can be a positive experience. Failure is, in a sense, the highway to success, inasmuch as every discovery of what is false leads us to seek earnestly after what is true, and every fresh experience points out some form of error which we shall afterwards carefully avoid.
John Keats (1795 - 1821)

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”
Yoda (Just replace darkside with self depression or madness)

Vanilla

Smash Apprentice
"What is the reason? Soon the why and the reason are gone and all that matters is the feeling. This is the nature of the universe. We struggle against it, we fight to deny it; but it is of course a lie. Beneath our poised appearance we are completely out of control. " - The Merovingian (from Matrix: Reloaded)

"You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect. " - The Merovingian (from Matrix: Reloaded)

"Before you can control anything else, you must first be in complete control of yourself...." - Annonymous

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery." - Malcolm X

"Go big or go home." - Tonya on Battle of the Sexes II.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes." - T.E. Lawrence

"The most important things are the hardest things to say. They are the things you get ashamed of, because words diminish them - words shrink things that seemed limitless..." - Stephen King

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
"Two little mice fell in a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned. The second mouse, wouldn't quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that cream into butter and crawled out."

-Chirstopher Walken, Catch Me if you Can

It's kind of a funny quote, but I like it :)

twally

Smash Apprentice
that really is an awesome quote. thanks vanilla!

"the mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."

j.d. salinger the catcher in the rye

Kroin

Smash Rookie
"Those who restrain desire, do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained; and the restrainer of reason usurps its place and governs the unwilling."

"The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind."

Both by William Blake.

Sizzle

I paint controllers
"May God have mercy on my enemies for I will not." - General Patton (Works for SSBM ^_^)

"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese." - Anonymous

"Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the dogs of war." - William Shakespeare, Julius Caesar

Vanilla

Smash Apprentice
"Go big or go home." - Tonya on Battle of the Sexes II.

I guess I should justify this quote a little more. I mean, you were all probably a little surprised I'd quote that as compared to some of the other quotes on that list, but the truth is, that's kind of my life motto. If I'm going to do something, I'm going to do it big and I'm going to go all out. Otherwise, what's the point of doing it?

PS: I guess I should note that doesn't apply to some things. Things I'm forced to do I tend to just get done. Things I want to do, like Smash, I go all out on.

AceMoney

Smash Apprentice
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world that he didn't exist," -Verbal Kint (The Usaual Suspects)

"Live out your dreams, or else they'll come back to haunt you as nightmares." Unknown

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
"No Fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!"
-Futurama (Professor)

"An imagination is a powerful tool. It can tint memories of the past, shade perceptions of the present, or paint a future so vivid that it can entice, or terrify, all depending upon how we conduct ourselves today."
-Jim Davis

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts

"From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity."
- Edvard Munch

"The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls
And tenement halls
And whispered in the sound of silence"
-Simon and Garfunkel

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
"An imagination is a powerful tool. It can tint memories of the past, shade perceptions of the present, or paint a future so vivid that it can entice, or terrify, all depending upon how we conduct ourselves today."
-Jim Davis
That triggers something.

I once had that quote memorized. But that was more than ten years ago. Until just now, I had forgotten that I ever knew it. Or that I had ever owned a worn comic book with a bent cover and pages falling out from overuse.

Makes me think of a large orange cat. That ate lots of lasagna.

De_Le_Chozo

Smash Apprentice
where all bedlam breaks loose! either that or the
"Stop the world, I wanna get on!"
-Leopold Bloom (The Producers)

Paranoid_Android, I don't have to ask you if I can use the Jim Davis quote for one of my stories, right? I'm taking a creative liberty and putting the quote in Johnny Jackson's Rock Star Boot Camp, so. . . thanks. (I added to your rep for good measure)

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
"Dead guys tend to leave an impression..." Bobby Pendragon
"No matter which direction you start, it's always against the wind coming back." Unknown
More later...

Blood Falcon

Smash Journeyman
:grrr:
-----Ken's Peach theory-----
All peach players,(who main peach and are good) are either gay, Effeminate, metrosexual or a big fat white guy~
"All you have to do is not get hit"
--Isai

"Why is it that people insist on yelling at the drive thru. It's modern technology Im with my headset
Dane Cook :) 'Hi welcome to Burger King may I please take your order.'
Driver :mad: 'WHOPPER!!'
Dane Cook :confused: 'sir?'
Driver :mad: 'WHOPPER NO ONION!!!'
Dane Cook :grrr: 'Excuse me, Chewbacca, I'm bleeding from the ears here.'"
--Dane Cook

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
"Oh how fickle is woman..."- Rhett Butler, and to a greater extent Giusseppe Verdi, and to a greater extent Virgil.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world that he didn't exist," -Verbal Kint (The Usaual Suspects)
I'm over a month late, but I thought I would point out that this was said by Baudelaire well before Usual Suspects :p

applejack

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if these have been said, sorry slow computer, I read first page and last page. And I forgot who said these, But they're on Call of Duty2 when you die, there are a lot of good ones there but here are the two I remember.
"All wars are Civil wars because all men are brothers."

"Is war an interlude(space between case you didn't know) of peace, or is peace an interlude of war?"

I find those thought provoking.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Odi at Amo, excrucior

"I hate and I love, it hurts"

D

Deleted member

"Don't quote me boy, cause I ain't said ****." - Easy E

.22%

Smash Apprentice
i got a lot of them:

corn chips are no place for a mighty warrior.

i love my chick.

and more but i can't say some of them.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Well, I don't know about groundbreaking philosophy, but...

"During the intervening time, the pizza sat in the backseat of a car being exposed to ultraviolet radiation, dust mites, car seat disease and who knows how many other as-yet-undiscovered weapons of gross. Nevertheless, there it sat."

-- extracted completely out of context from Et cetera

Top Bottom