• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

quotes anyone?

twally

Smash Apprentice
ok so i am a huge fan of epigrams and just really witty bits of helpful life lessons...so i'll get to the point...

got a quote? share it because...well,just look at my signature and you will understand...

here are some of mine...

"Dreams give us a reason to wake up so shoot for the moon because even if you miss, you'll land amongst the stars..."

"You can never end if you have a beginning..."

"don't end something before it is over ; don't prolong what is already dead; trust that the end will come on its own time...because playing God never ends well..."

--twally...peace easy guys

entity

Smash Apprentice
"Make the most of your life as much as you can, since there are no second chances".

"Whatever God you believe in, *smirk* may he have mercy on you soul".

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
"God created man in his image, and man, being a gentleman, returned the favor."

I love that quote. It's Mark Twain by way of Inherit the Wind. I hated the play, but loved the quote, because it can be interpreted in so many different ways, both spiritual and nonspiritual.

That's pretty much my only quote that I have on command.

Matt

Banned via Administration
"We are all made of starstuff." ~Carl Sagan

I just found out that he wrote Contact. I was going to buy that yesterday, but I bought Maddox's book instead. <3

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
"Let the snow fall deep, the rain drive down, and the wind buffet my cloak. I care not, for I've a road worth walking!"

This is my sig's quote, it's by Drizzt Do'Urden from Forgotten Realms fantasy series. I read it and loved it so much that I had to sig it.

This might sound lame, but I believe it is very inspiring. Through imagery, it's saying: In the face of a blizzard, look up from your warm and stale covering, because there is somewhere you need to go, and you need to hold your head up high, look straight ahead, and face the challenges to get you to your goal!

Man, if only I remembered this quote when I was rushed in school to hand in my personal info for the yearbook. Wouldv'e been perfect. Oh well, I guess my other quote is good too.

"Power begets Power"

It's anonymous as far as I know, but someone might know where it's from. I think it holds a lot of meaning in those 3 words, both good and bad. Negatively, someone granted 'power', only wants more for him/her -self. Through self-sacrifice and hardship, you could earn 'power,' which will in turn earn you more. EARN is the key word in the latter.

Quotes can sometimes hold more than an entire novel, thus is the power of quotes.

Aurus

Smash Cadet
twally said:
You can never end if you have a beginning...

Yeah, that quote is ridiculous Twally.

"take care of our planet, it's the only one we've got!"
-some accursed liberal bleeding heart hippie

"Is our children learning?"
-George W. Bush, the president with an IQ of 90

twally

Smash Apprentice
Aurus said:
Yeah, that quote is ridiculous Twally.

uhhh...what do you mean "ridiculous". can't say your quotes were all that inspiring either aurus. the point of this thread was to share not bash...

to each his own though...

since myst explained his sig, i will explain mine. it is part of the quote i wrote on the first page of my journal...

"i write not for myself, but for the world. i write for the thinkers, the dreamers, and the fighters; the steadfast, the brave, and the compassionate. i write for the memories of yesterday and the hope for a tomorrow all the while remembering the task at hand: a stronger present. finally i write for the never ending battle against death because you see...when it comes to immortality, you've got two choices...either write or don't...and i'll be d*mned if i didn't fight this war..."

there it is. that paragraph sums up who i am...

peace easy everyone and keep posting the sweet quotes...

Aurus

Smash Cadet
My quotes did kind of suck, I suppose.

"You can never end if you have a beginning"? What sense does that make? Why on earth can't you end if you have a beginning? Can nothing end, then? This quote is ridiculous because it's just random crap meant to sound vaguely inspiring. It doesn't mean anything or make sense, if one thinks about it.

twally

Smash Apprentice
we obviously don't think the same...

take a look at what iis being said. yes "things" have an end, but the quote says "you". i am referring to people. i honestly believe that people don't just end. ever thought about life journeys? look at it this way:life is a journey, and i perosnally don't think lfe just ends. i do believe in an afterlife so when one step of a person's life ends, a new one begins...

see where i'm going?

RaRaRachael

Smash Ace
pufft, here are a few but they are not that good

"Amazing people can make amazing challenges. But it takes courageous people to take them."
"Every last step is a new beginning."
"The smiles of children is the sunshine of the world."
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than to be loved for who I'm not."

yeah.. sorry they suck

RDK

Smash Hero
"Whatever God you believe in, *smirk* may he have mercy on you soul".
This was from Q on Star Trek the Next Generation. That episode was on last night. ;)

Here's a quote I just remembered off the top of my head:

"Little kids and nuclear weapons. What could be better than that?"

~Tom Servo

nux23

Smash Ace
"It takes one to know one"
"The bigger they are the harder they fall"
" big things come in small pakages"

I think the last two are somewhat perverted

nux23

Smash Ace
Buffet rule: take what you want but eat what you take

You can't grab a bull by it's horns if you can't find the stinkin' bull

There are three types of people in the world. People who can count and people who can't

De_Le_Chozo

Smash Apprentice
where all bedlam breaks loose! either that or the
This quote put some chill in my spine:
"Because there is one thing worse than being dead - wishing you were." says some guy as he is about to torture some other guy.

These quotes remind me of my futility:
"If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans." -TV, I think.

"Why, he that cuts off twenty years of life
Cuts off so many years of fearing death." -a play from Shakespeare

I just like these quotes:
"I used to be indecisive, but now I'm now sure." -no idea

"Some people are so afraid to die that they never live." -no idea

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -no idea

"Friends are people who know everything about you and like you anyway." -no idea

"Sanity is the playground of the unimaginative." -my Lit teacher

"Wise men speak when they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." -Plato

"Some people see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not." -no idea

And, um. . . I keep good quotes in a journal. . . . that's why I chose so many. . .

NAZN TYR

Smash Journeyman
Two of my favorite quotes are:

When you water a desert, you empty an ocean. I'm an empty ocean. - Percival Everett

As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods; they kill us for sport. - Shakespeare (King Lear?)

and then there's the coolest line of all time;
Lay on, MacDuff - MacBeth (it's such a badass quote, modern english equivalent - "Bring it, biatch")

twally

Smash Apprentice
ok so i got a few more quotes that might inspire my next thread idea.

"...that five sided fistagon..."-rage against the machine-bulls on parade
"the sky resembles a backlit canopy with holes punched in it." incubus-i wish you were here

awesome songs...

rounder_nk

Smash Ace
some funny ones
"nobody goes there anymore it's too crowded" -yogi berra
"if you come to a fork in the road take it!"-yogi berra
"there are 10 types of people in the world. People who know binary and people who don't"(not yogi)

also here's a funny one from a NASA administrator-spokesperson who was being asked very prodding questions about a controversial shuttle take off. One person asked the same question to this spokesperson (who was nailing every question with thought out answers) many times interspersed throughout the briefing. The spokesperson proceeded to answer this guys question then went on to say "i can explain it to you but i can't understand it for you"

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
"The secret to success is knowing who to blame for your failures."

"If you're not a part of the solution, there's good money to be made in prolonging the problem."

"A company that will go to the ends of the Earth for its people will find it can hire them for about 10% of the cost of Americans."

"The only consistent factor in all of your dissatisfying relationships is you."

I love despair inc :D

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
''If today would be perfect, there would be no need for a tomorrow.''
The best one I can remember. It's on a huge poster in my bedroom.

And some lines I took out of the lyrics from my favorite band, Scooter:

- ''Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get.''

- ''It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.''

- ''What is essential is invisible to the eye. It's only with the heart that you can see rightly.''

- ''Life without knowledge is death in disguise.''

- ''Be keep headstrong, never be weak, no surrender, no retreat.''

You wouldn't think Scooter is an electronical band if you hear those lines eh?

mkmelee

Smash Lord
"A leader is one who knows the way, shows the way, and goes the way."
John C. Maxwell

"There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who suck, and Churck Norris."
Anonymous

"The Bible was originally known as Churck Norris and friends."
Anonymous

"Finders Keepers, Losers Suck."
Me

twally

Smash Apprentice
this is a weird quote because it wasn't said by a real person. here is how the dialogue sounded: (nothing else really mattered)

random guy: hey dude. how you doing?
twally: not to happy right now to tell you the truth.
guy: really?
twally: really.
guy: well here is what you need to do. if you aren't happy, find a happy person. that always helps

and then i woke up. it was so weird but i like that quote now.

"if you aren't happy, find a happy person. that always helps."--random guy from my dreams...

De_Le_Chozo

Smash Apprentice
"Maybe someday you will surpass the Great and Fabulous Flavio in greatness and fabulousness. Not very likely, but. . . you should always reach for the stars, right?"
-Flavio, speaking to Paper Mario, during his quest for the Crystal Stars

I love this quote. Flavio's the kind of guy who's NOT great and fabulous, but no one can convince him otherwise! And. . . well. . . you really SHOULD reach for the stars. . . .

Khanczar

Smash Ace
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

That one's from Gandalf in The Fellowship of the Ring. I just really like that quote.. it always stuck to me for some reason.

De_Le_Chozo

Smash Apprentice
YayTheSimpsons----------

"Moe's: A Eulogy
by Homer Simpson

M is for Moe, the owner of Moe's.
O is for the letter, in the middle of Moe's.
E is for acceptance, the feeling I always got at Moe's.
S is for --OH MOE!"
And then Homer bursts into tears in Moe's arms.
The words may not be the exact ones, but Meh.

" 'Embiggen? Never heard of THAT word before I moved to Springfield. . .'
'Why not? It's a perfectly cromulent word.' "

Lisa: Calm down, dad. Did you know the Chinese use the same word for crisis and oppurtunity?
Homer: Yes! Crisitunity!

This one's from a guy in a historical fiction called "Three Kingdoms" It's essentially a book about war.
"If you can attack, attack!
If you can't attack, defend!
If you can't defend, flee!
If you can't flee, surrender!
If you can't surrender, DIE!"

Ami

Smash Ace
Originally posted by twally
"if you aren't happy, find a happy person. that always helps."--random guy from my dreams...
I like that.

-------

''The best way to get praise is to die." - Italian Proverb.

"He's dead, Jim." - Dr. McCoy.

"... The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had ..." - Lyrics from Mad World (Gary Jules).

Kroin

Smash Rookie
"The only true voyage, the only Fountain of Youth, would be found not in traveling to strange lands but in having different eyes, in seeing the universe with the eyes of another person, of a hundred others, and seeing the hundred universes each of them sees, which each of them is."
-Marcel Proust

"Perhaps history this century, thought Eigenvalue, is rippled with gathers in its fabric such that if we are situated, as Stencil seemed to be, at the bottom of a fold, it's impossible to determine warp, woof, or pattern anywhere else. By virtue, however, of existing in one gather it is assumed there are others, compartmented off into sinuous cycles each of which had come to assume greater importance than the weave itself and destroy any continuity. Thus it is that we are charmed by the funny-looking automobiles of the '30's, the curious fashions of the '20's, the particular moral habits of our grandparents. We produce and attend musicval comedies about them and are conned into a false memory, a phony nostalgia about what they were. We are accordingly lost to any sense of continuous tradition. Perhaps if we lived on a crest, things would be different. We could at least see."
-Thomas Pynchon, "V"

saberhof

Smash Master
"if something's hard to do, then its not woth doing" - Homer -
"My bad" - Homer
"Screw u guys, im going home" - Cartman - lol haha jk...

"Everything that has a begining has an end" - (dont know who)

twally

Smash Apprentice
Kroin said:
"The only true voyage, the only Fountain of Youth, would be found not in traveling to strange lands but in having different eyes, in seeing the universe with the eyes of another person, of a hundred others, and seeing the hundred universes each of them sees, which each of them is."
-Marcel Proust

i love that quote, definitely going to remember it and use it in the future. thanks for sharing!

rounder_nk

Smash Ace
here's one-
"there are as many truths as there are people in the world" - (i'm sure it's been said before but i came up with it after getting into a long debate with a friend).

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
"The flags are still. No wind blows. It is man's heart that is in tumult."
-- from the Wong Kar Wai film Ashes of Time

"To hate something most completely, you must first have loved it."
-- unknown (probably from a fanfic though--I'm thinking Yugioh, as sad as that may sound)

And best of all, my lil' bro. had this to say about a mutual aquaintance of ours:

"Tell her to rub her face against a rock until they can only identify her by her dental records! Arrrrrrrggggghhhhh! Tell her to stop wasting MY AIR!!"
-- evil_ken (sometimes, he does not play well with others)

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
"There are no lessons on victory,yet many in defeat"
"What use be there to getting old,if we die anyway?Life has many surprises in store,and may they lead us to the answer."

Do not remember where either of these came from,and I heard them a few years ago,so they may be bit crude.Basically,the first one states that you can not learn if you never fail.This is not entirely true,but it also sends the mesaage that man can not better themselves if they can find no flaws in their life.

The second one is saying that patience is the key to all our answers,and that on the road of life,do not rush through,or you will miss the beauty along the way.

Wow,I never saw this artistic side of me.I'm new to this section.

Top Bottom