• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quick Question, Quick Answer Thread

Yikarur

Smash Master
it would be nice if you would link the part of the video where it actually happends.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
It's at like 2:48 think

I'm unsure. At best I can speculate that the break forced the sonic model partially into the rock, where it was rejected from moving further left (as Sonic cannot overlap with the rock), but the platform didn't extend that far, and that's a stretch of a guess.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
it would be nice if you would link the part of the video where it actually happends.
I'm sorry, it was late/early in the morning and mother was bugging me to sleep, but I didn't want to forget about asking.

It's at like 2:48 think

I'm unsure. At best I can speculate that the break forced the sonic model partially into the rock, where it was rejected from moving further left (as Sonic cannot overlap with the rock), but the platform didn't extend that far, and that's a stretch of a guess.
2:44 actually, but this hyperlink should make it easier for anybody trying to look.

Anyway, my guess was the wall too, but I'd like for anybody else who may have some insight on this to tell me.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Can elements (slash, aura, etc.) affect a given move in histun or hitlag? I know I saw that Electric moves get a 1.5 multiplier in hitlag, but I was wondering if other elements cause similar effects.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Can elements (slash, aura, etc.) affect a given move in histun or hitlag? I know I saw that Electric moves get a 1.5 multiplier in hitlag, but I was wondering if other elements cause similar effects.
Besides the OBVIOUS exceptions, elements are basically eye candy. The ones you mentioned don't have anything special to go with them.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Fire type moves auto melt you if you're frozen, and are typically associated with high knockback. They also interact with Pokemon Trainer. Nothing special outside of that to my knowledge.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Fire type moves auto melt you if you're frozen, and are typically associated with high knockback. They also interact with Pokemon Trainer. Nothing special outside of that to my knowledge.
Yeah true, fire also detonates explosives (crates) iirc?

But yeah besides the OBVIOUS exceptions...most elements have "normal" hit and knockback properties.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
fire type moves interact with pokemon trainer? what do you mean by that?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I've never looked at OSA, or PSA, or any of the coding programs, or anything like that, but I'm pretty sure explosions are handled slightly differently than fire, though I'm not sure if they also contain the base properties of fire.

I know Red Pikman survive explosions, but I think explosions have special properties. I'll test out some of my theories eventually, and get back to you.

T-block

B2B TST
Fire does more knockback to Ivysaur, less to Squirtle. Water does more knockback to Charizard, less to Ivysaur. Grass does more knockback to Squirtle, less to Charizard.

Fire is the only relevant one though, since the only two only come up in the PT ditto.

I'm also pretty sure Ivysaur takes increased knockback from explosions as well, so that would support fire and explosion being the same.

Luxor

Smash Champion
Can someone explain in explicit detail the difference between FAF and IASA?
FAF- First Actionable Frame- The first frame you're allowed to do something (whether through IASA or just waiting the animation out).

IASA- Interruptible As Soon As- Some/Most moves allow you to begin your next action before the current "endlag animation" concludes. In this case, you're interrupting the end animation with your next action. IASA is the "Allow Interrupt" line in P/OSA.

In cases where IASA exists, FAF = IASA. If IASA does not exist, FAF = animation duration.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
IASA is (interuptable as soon as) basically a conditional form of FAF. It's where you can interupt it with something such as IASA Shield where it's interuptable by shield. I think we should define it more in the next meeting :X

Excuse the double post, but I'd like to try my hand at specials in OSA2. Can someone here give me a run through of all the necessary knowledge? Like, where to look, what values means, etc. Basically Specials 101?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The main thing I want to make sure is that do you know where to find specials under sub-actions?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
^took me weeks to figure out by myself.

Most projectile specials generate articles, and for those ones, you have to search under articles to learn about their hitbox properties.

Then there's stuff on ledge grabs and other odd mechanics that I don't yet have a full list for.

Well, this is where my problems arise. I wanted to look into Gyro, and what has me is that Gyro has 12 subactions.

Code:
1DA - SpecialLwStart
1DB - SpecialLwStart
1DC - SpecialLwHold
1DD - SpecialLwMax
1DE - SpecialLw
1DF - SpecialLw
1E0 - SpecialAirLwStart
1E1 - SpecialAirLwStart
1E2 - SpecialAirLwHold
1E3 - SpecialAirLwMax
1E4 - SpecialAirLw
1E5 - SpecialAirLw
I can guess what a few of them are, like I think subactions 1DE, 1DF, 1E4, 1E5 are the actual hitboxes, but I don't know why they're repeated, why there are two starts for ground/air, what max is(maybe just the final animation chunk in hold/"charge"?), etc. Also, I knew to look in articles, and I'm confused by them too.

Code:
0x0 - 0x208F4 - Dummy,
0x1 - 0x209A4 - Fly, FlyMax,
0x2 - 0x20AC4 - Start, Hold, End, AirStart, AirHold, AirEnd,
0x3 - 0x20BD0 - Pattern1, Pattern2, Pattern3, End,
ROB's only projectile is Gyro, so I don't understand why he has 4 articles. I have a very, VERY vague idea as to what Dummy might be, and I think maybe the Patterns are what I'm looking for. Fly and FlyMax have SOCs, but Start, Hold, etc do not.

Luxor

Smash Champion
Articles aren't just projectiles. G&W's Turtle is an article IIRC, and in general lots of things are. I know that Link's Hookshot is as well.

Well, his only OFFENSIVE article at least. ROB's only offensive article is Gyro. :p

Talking about ROB in the first part btw.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
@Luxor - who said it was an article? @_@ It isn't.

I don't even know where they got the idea.

@Indigo Jeans - Are you mentally disabled?

Laser isn't an article mother****er.:c

Didn't think to check subroutines, since I didn't see article in the subaction main. But you didn't have to be so mean.:mad:

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I'd like a Specials 101 course too..... I can't figure out Din's Fire worth ****, and someone's already asked me to look into it. :urg:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
What do you mean laser isn't an article? It's called Fly lol.

A lot of projectiles are called "Fly" btw.

Article 2 for ROB is the thing he pulls out to charge the Gyro. A lot of articles like that one are pretty much just aesthetic.

The article called "pattern" I believe is for Final smash.

ROB's actual Gyro on the other hand is under common3 (called common3_en.pac for the USA version, rename it to common3.pac if you're doing file replacement). I don't understand how item tossing works unfortunately. I think it's a function of the speed at which the item is tossed being a multiplier for damage.

If you want to edit common3 files...you need OSA2 and a hex editor. Don't ask me how to do hex editing. I'm trying to educate myself on that topic.

I might try starting a specials 101 topic later (there is a lot I DON'T know however outside of how to find the hitboxes everyone cares about). And soon after, I might do 1.1 stuff later.

You might want to ask Amazing Ampharos and Thinkaman, who lead Balanced Brawl about how all this stuff works. I mean they've been experimenting with this for MUCH longer than I have. They can probably explain how non-hitbox related mechanics like ledgegrabs, momentum, etc much better than I can.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Specials 101 wouldn't be very much use since the specials are all so different X_X

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Thanks for killing my motivation rPSI. But yeah...you're probably right.

Somehow though...I feel that there is a way of pinpointing the lesser known functions of how moves work. And that I know the answer to at least half of those instances.

Yikarur

Smash Master
Yeah I finally know how to instant platform cancel platform drop.
if you're in platform cancel height:

F1 Down
F2 Shield

or
F1 Down
F3 Shield

and hold both down until the drop happends.

now another problem:

If you grab the ledge with Marth and press "away" you drop the ledge and move away.
if you grab the ledge with Marth's upB and press "away" you drop the ledge and move away with HALF momentum.
why? >__<

E: same with Wolfs sideB and upB
E2: it not the half, it's depending on the special.

JOE!

Smash Hero
is there anywhere where the sizes of characters in comparison to each other are listed?

I know it's like: :bowser2: > :dk2: ............ > :squirtle: > :olimar: , but what about in between?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Sizes are reeeeeally iffy and dependent on a lot of things. Ganondorf however I think is the tallest character.

Top Bottom