• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[QLD] Brisbane/Gold Coast Meets & Tournaments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Testikills

Smash Journeyman
Don't mess with my boy Luke, he'll go Clobberin Time on jooz.

<3

Australia, I want your feedback on my blog.

Is it hard to read? Should I add something else? Etc etc.

Jem's Thoughts on doubles

p.s. Sorry to post something non-tournament related on your thread. I just posted without thinking.
Only thing its missing is, If all else fails dual ganons on Pirate ship is god tier, at least in QLD

But in all seriousness its a pretty good article, use of video examples I like

Hotdog

Smash Lord
So seeing as we're not having a tourney for the US peeps, you guys still want that tourney on 26th?

Remastered

Smash Lord
Tournament on the 26th would be good, especially for all those not going to robocop. Otherwise a meet might be pretty good to, just at someones place. I can't hold one here that weekend as I'm housing some friends from overseas.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
someone in surfers should host a meet on sat.
maybe we can share luigi secrets adept? (although my wigi is woeful these days)

Scrubs

Smash Lord
Everyone :)

Tomorrow I'm putting payment down for the room. $185 for 10 hours. So, it's going to be a $10 venue fee. Sorry guys. But any extra money will go into refunding people who bring equipment!.

Brawl will be a $5 entry fee, doubles free.

Melee doubles will be free. Melee singles is up to you guys once again. You can play for a pot, or you can not. Depends on who shows up.

I'm also considering booking the room again on the 24th. Saturday before Robocop. It's also a weekend that Oates and Hall will be in Queensland.

Thoughts?
Making events free ALWAYS ends badly.....

Attendance will increase but at the cost of seriousness...

Every tournament where an event has been free has always ended with people not caring...I think one tournament it was J Birds + Hotdogs vs. Me + Chris and we were all playing low tiers in the finals = stupid...

Brawl Singles - 5
Brawl Teams - 5 per team ( 1st 70 2nd 25 3rd gets entry fee back)
Melee Singles - 5
Melee Teams - 5 per team (as above)

Thats a maximum cost of 25 IF you enter every event.... which I personally don't find to exorbitant

Also

BRING YOUR MONEY TO THE TOURNAMENT none of this "Ill get it at lunch" ****.

Its not hard to stop at servo on your way there...get it whilst your at the train station etc.... no excuses

I think Antho should enforce the no money no play rule....just for the sake of the tournament running smoothly and the person who outlaid the cash for the venue not getting screwed over...

Hotdog

Smash Lord
yea we didn't have much of that problem at the tourney just past, i think only sieg needed to get money out. Most people just had big notes. I'll be handling the money a different way from now on, like actual tournament way. Payment will be made for ALL games at the very start, or just as people walk in.

People cool with $5 for everything? So just pay $25 at the door if you want to compete in everything, less if entering less etc... No objections from any cheap Jews (Kas)?

Entry fee: $5
Singles: $5
Doubles: $10 ($5 per person)

Remastered

Smash Lord
someone in surfers should host a meet on sat.
maybe we can share luigi secrets adept? (although my wigi is woeful these days)
Yeh definately, have a few good ones that I know arn't on Luigi boards or anywhere else on smashboards that I've seen. I'm not using Luigi if I can help it at the next tourney so if I can learn a few new tricks before I bring him back to the brawl scene a week later it would be good.

Going to use 2 other characters this time instead to mix up my play and see how I go. Will never stop having luigi as my main though, far too fun, and have spent way to long practicing with him, and need to find a secondary that I like.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
speaking of which, if you need some good luigi tips, talk to my buddy luigiking, he knows whats up.

Remastered

Smash Lord
speaking of which, if you need some good luigi tips, talk to my buddy luigiking, he knows whats up.
Awesome will do, need a few pointers for vsing characters I don't play much because of the mix in Queensland. I don't agree with a lot of what comes up on Luigi boards so I prefer first hand knowledge from people who actually know the MU's.

Hotdog

Smash Lord
Try going to Sydney, their mix of characters is crazy lol =P

But QLD is getting more and more variety these days though.

Remastered

Smash Lord
Try going to Sydney, their mix of characters is crazy lol =P

But QLD is getting more and more variety these days though.
Yeh definately, we are getting heaps more competitive up here each week. I'm pretty excited for where QLD smash is going now. Everyone is upping there play 10 fold. Main reason why I need another character lol.

I also need help against high tiers. So many potent match-ups for Luigi. I understand what you mean now Luke when you said there are so many holes in Luigi's character make up.

I cringe everytime I'm hanging off an edge and someone is standing above me. I know you know that feeling with Luigi.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
yeah, his recovery can be pretty bad in general, like its good in the sense that you can pretty much recover from anywhere, but its bad in that its slow and so easy to intercept.
fighting jiggs is the worst.
ledge stuff is pretty gay but theres a few tricks to help out

the ****ing worst **** though is that he's not only short ranged, but slow, 2nd slowest air speed in the game, wtf, so hard to approach or do anything

Remastered

Smash Lord
yeah, his recovery can be pretty bad in general, like its good in the sense that you can pretty much recover from anywhere, but its bad in that its slow and so easy to intercept.
fighting jiggs is the worst.
ledge stuff is pretty gay but theres a few tricks to help out
Yeh, spent almost half my match against Marth recovering in the air coming from off stage and relying on aerial priority on the way down. Played Amaterasu and MK makes you have to do the same thing. I have learnt the recovery tricks, but characters with good projectiles can cut it off if your not careful.

Will take this convo off our tourney boards though and I'll swing you a message with some tricks and stuff I've learnt. Some you may already know, but others are a few I have come up with too against bad match ups.

Hotdog actually showed me how not to fight a Kirby the last time we played. Never having played him before showed and it tore me to pieces. Atleast I took a match against Toki's Marth last time we played, and got Chris down to last stocks on both occasionas against MK. Knowledge is everything in brawl and I'm pretty sure I spend to much time trying to work on beating bad matchups rather than all the characters lol.

Remastered

Smash Lord
nah, just make an amazing hybrid of mario and luigi. would be beast
Give Luigi the polter Gust as side B special as another recovery option and bring the character to us in a locked frame instead of us having to struggle to approach them. Give him the hover jump that he has in Mario games and make is fireballs burn for a bit or atleast more legit imo.

Luigi for S tier once he has been given the respect he deserves ;)

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
poltergust maybe, but green missile is where its at...
in melee...

in brawl it sucks ***.

lololol get your thread derailed qld.

Hotdog

Smash Lord
Thread needs more Luigi imo.

So 26th good for everyone? $25 at max for the whole day.

Won't be able to make Helensvale one this week unless my GF takes my shift at work, which she won't cause she's a jew.

Sirias

Smash Champion
I heavily object to paying $5 for everything as I am a Jew.
Srsly.

I dunno, it's only a friendly-ish, minor tournament, lol?
Why pay so much just to play in a not-even-that-serious-tournament?
I don't care TOO much, but still...

Also it is hard to get to a servo and get money out.
Too hard.
Can't do it.
Soz.

No Asian Jew at Helensvale?
Gay.
It's only fun when James, Scott and Chris are there. :C

J-Birds

Smash Lord
Mooooneyss i didnt get any of my moneys from doubles at Hotcats i totes want dat 5-10$ or whatever it is !!!

Brawl lover pfft, ill **** you in melee now rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom