• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A thread ASK QUESTIONS HERE.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Thankyou. I think I will use mk for the gw mu because it sounds very bad.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Don't try to space GW out with BAS because he will start bucketing them. They're really useful just outside his dsmash range tho, so go for FCAS there. I actually completely disagree about him being hard to approach at high %, that's actually not that bad for Lucario. Don't try to hit him with laggy stuff like fsmash and you'll be fine. Lucario's tilts pretty much beat GW's smashes, and if you're at high % you'll just be able to punish him harder. I like staying grounded vs GW cuz his bair is a ***** to beat in the air, so just roll behind it and punish it.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Is rolling important for winning GW? I dont roll alot and I never roll behind characters.

DrSoussou

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2552-2785-0774
That's because you used to be meta-knight lol. If you'd started with Lucario you'd be spamming it constantly like a lot of Luc mains do.

I'm not sure if rolling is any more or less important in the G&W MU compared to others.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Definately keep the habit of not rolling a lot. It's a bad habit that I know I have, and it definately gets me hit when I mindlessly roll towards my opponent. That isn't to say that rolling isn't extremely useful, particularly Lucario's roll. It's generally more useful for getting out, not getting in. That's the problem some people get into with rolling too much, but it does work more than it should (at least for me). I'm not saying you should try to roll behind him every chance you get, but if he's throwing out a kinda long lasting move that you can't outspace (like GW's bair), then rolling behind him isn't a bad idea. Just make sure you're familiar with the spacing, and don't do it if he's retreating with it. Like I said before, it's not supposed to get you in on him, it's supposed to get you away from the bair. Getting behind him is just a nice bonus.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
To enforce the excellent advice PrivateJoker-Brown stated think of rolling as an option. If you use the same option all of the time it will become useless in most situations. Also NEVER airdodge into GAW. They will laugh at you.

theDuL0R

Smash Journeyman
Do we have anything that clashes with G&W's Bair?? APEX|Vinnie suggested to use our Ftilt (angled upward), but that doesn't seem to work...unless I have the timing all wrong. What do you guys think?

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Holy crap. I did not know that ftilt works. I will have to try this. :)

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Ftilts work? Even with all the hit boxes the turlte has?
If it clashes, then both moves will end, regardless of how many hitboxes the move has. That's what clashing does. If Ftilt isn't working, you might not be angling it upward? Ftilt is one of those moves with sakurai angles, which means it can be aimed slightly upwards or downwards, as well as straight ahead.

theDuL0R

Smash Journeyman
If it clashes, then both moves will end, regardless of how many hitboxes the move has. That's what clashing does. If Ftilt isn't working, you might not be angling it upward? Ftilt is one of those moves with sakurai angles, which means it can be aimed slightly upwards or downwards, as well as straight ahead.
I knew you could angle it, but I didn't know it was called the Sakurai Angle. But ok cool, thanks guys! Would we say the match up is in G&W's favor or ours?

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
Just adding on to what someone else said earlier. DONT CP OLIMAR TO FRIGATE. THIS IS '12 YA'LL SHOULD KNOW THIS BY NOW. Worst misconception in the game. Olimar isnt bad on that stage at all.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
So...this is a little embarrassing but.. i'd be eternally grateful to anyone that can help me with this.

I'm the current mentor for all people who wish to know anything about lucario, his playstyle, tactics, and frame data. but i'm finding that while I teach, I myself cannot move on. I never understood the phrase "Those who can't do teach" until I started teaching. I pass on my knowledge because i'm not good enough to utilize that knowledge myself.

So the question is.
What is your conviction to fight? What is your will to get stronger at this game? How do you become stronger when knowledge is outta the way?

Your character is an extension of your will. Yet my will is weak. I have lost my will to get better because I have not been improving at all despite all the effort I pour into becoming better. Its a real mind ****, to be honest.

I know this character inside and out, to the very frames of his moves. Yet theres a certain thresh hold where knowledge alone can't make you better. I don't understand that part. I don't have that "instinct" on how to play this game that alot of the stronger players do.

Please, i'd really like to know how you continue to grow stronger once you hit that threshold.

C.J.

Smash Master
I knew you could angle it, but I didn't know it was called the Sakurai Angle. But ok cool, thanks guys! Would we say the match up is in G&W's favor or ours?
Being able to angle it and sakurai angles are completely different things. Moves have knockback that hit at certain angles. There's an angle of 361 degrees that's called the sakurai. Basically, if a move can hit at a Sakurai angle, it can trip. It's dumb.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
So...this is a little embarrassing but.. i'd be eternally grateful to anyone that can help me with this.

I'm the current mentor for all people who wish to know anything about lucario, his playstyle, tactics, and frame data. but i'm finding that while I teach, I myself cannot move on. I never understood the phrase "Those who can't do teach" until I started teaching. I pass on my knowledge because i'm not good enough to utilize that knowledge myself.

So the question is.
What is your conviction to fight? What is your will to get stronger at this game? How do you become stronger when knowledge is outta the way?

Your character is an extension of your will. Yet my will is weak. I have lost my will to get better because I have not been improving at all despite all the effort I pour into becoming better. Its a real mind ****, to be honest.

I know this character inside and out, to the very frames of his moves. Yet theres a certain thresh hold where knowledge alone can't make you better. I don't understand that part. I don't have that "instinct" on how to play this game that alot of the stronger players do.

Please, i'd really like to know how you continue to grow stronger once you hit that threshold.
Sunny you are lost and confused. Yes, your will is weak. Is there anything I can say to make it stronger? No. I do ask that you question(share if you feel like it) why you started playing smash and why you started playing smash competitively.

I play smash on my own will. There is nothing that would really stop me from enjoying a game of smash(within reason). I started playing smash competitively mostly because of a friend. If he stopped playing I would most likely be less active in the community. But outside of him I play competitively because i like to win, I like smash, and I love to improve at things. I am fascinated with the concept of time=skill.

I think you have reached a critical point in your smash career(if you want to call it that). You can give up or keep playing. If you want to be good keep playing is the obviously the answer. If you want to stop just stop and spend your time getting better at life and use this moment as a learning experience.

If you don't want to play smash don't play. If you want to play bad enough you will find a way. Don't worry about it there will always be another day. That is all I can really say.

my 2 cents.

Steam

Smash Hero

So the question is.

I remember when detta timed you out with jigglypuff? isn't detta insufferable when he wins? things like that are what push me to try harder. I'm an arrogant ******* and hate losing to annoying people. I hate losing in general, and I still work to improve because there are still two people on my list that I want to beat before all is said and done.

DrSoussou

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2552-2785-0774
1. Hold forward - You can be walking or dashing, as long as your analog stick is held all the way over
2. Jump - Lucario can WBAS in one short-hop, but the timing is strict. Then again, perfect practice leads to perfect results. KEEP HOLDING FORWARD
3. Tilt back - Very quickly and delicately, tilt the analog stick back towards the neutral position at center. If you pass the neutral position, you're going too far back. Remember, a wavebounce is actually a turnaround-B followed by a B-reverse. This step will initiate the turnaround.
4. B-reverse - The timing here is the hardest part. Step three has to be extremely quick and precise, but this step has to be even faster and with more strict timing. After tilting the stick back (step 3), press B and then IMMEDIATELY jam the stick back into the full-forward position.

When done properly, you should see Lucario change his trajectory while facing in the same forward direction that he began running in. Works with charging AND firing AS. Step 2 (the jump) is simply necessary to produce a Wavebounce, but does not have any specific timing requirements of its own. As long as Lucario is in the air and you're holding forward, you should be able to execute a WB with steps 3 and 4. Those two steps alone take about a half-second to input. Yes, its that fast.

Training tips: turn off the volume, it will help you hear the timing of your own inputs more precisely and simplify conversion to muscle-memory. If you short-hop to initiate a WB while training and insert a Fair at the beginning of the jump, you will provide yourself with a perfect time window with which to fit the WB before landing. This is more difficult, but it will force you to learn the speed of the inputs and you'll learn a decent application of the WB in the process. The delicacy of step 3 is the most important and difficult part to execute consistently. Practice both turnaround-B's and B-reversals separately if you're having trouble, and think of the WB as a very quick combination of the two.

Troubleshooting:
1. Lucario doesn't wavebounce, just continues moving forward and charges/fires AS = not enough of a backwards tilt during step 3, or too much of a time delay between the end of step 3 and the beginning of step 4.
2. I see the Wavebounce, but Lucario keeps using Aura Flame (side-B) instead of AS = inputting "forward" and "B" too closely together (aka simultaneously) during step 4. B input has to come BEFORE the analog stick is tilted back into the forward position. Think of a race-horse at the starting block. The gunshot is your B input and the gate is the timing of your forward input. If they occur at the same time, your horse runs into the gate, but if you wait too long in between, your horse will have come out too slowly. The key is distinct timing between two inputs that are as close together as possible.
3. Lucario does a Turnaround-B (same trajectory plus an aerial about-face) - you waited too long between the two inputs in step 4, or did not fully hold the stick back into the forward position at all.

Good luck. Personally, I've only ever found a WB to be useful if I want to fire AS at a grounded opponent while I'm advancing on them, but make sure that I'm not following through my jump too closely to them as I do so. It can work well if you're recovering high and need to mix up your landing while also charging aura sphere. However, both of these applications are contingent on your ability to execute, and whiffing a WB usually results in a nice, laggy side-B for your opponent to punish. Master it and it can become a useful and intimidating mixup to confuse and impress your opponent with.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
does lucario require a lot of mind games? im trying to secondary lucario but i cant get his playstyle. i didnt really look up videos yet but i cant even do well against cpus but i can beat lucarios kinda fine but i can only barely keep up with sunny (not with lucario). im assuming you guys know sunny

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
does lucario require a lot of mind games? im trying to secondary lucario but i cant get his playstyle. i didnt really look up videos yet but i cant even do well against cpus but i can beat lucarios kinda fine but i can only barely keep up with sunny (not with lucario). im assuming you guys know sunny
Here is one mind game I did:

I hit my opponent offstage, fully charged an aura spehere to scare my opponent, and then I dash grabbed him when he came back from the ledge because I knew he would shield. I threw him offstage and I predicted he would jump from the ledge, so I ran to the ledge and did a running upsmash and killed him.

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
How do you cancel Lucario's aura sphere into aerials? Like, when Trela is charging an aura sphere on the ground, then he instantly cancels it and jumps into a fair.

DrSoussou

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2552-2785-0774
Yeah that one can be really tough because the timing is fast and retreating aerials are difficult if you're not used to them, but its extremely straight-forward. Just short-hop out of shield while holding back on the control stick and use a c-stick Fair.

If you have tap-jump off like I do, you'll find that jumping with X or Y and then using the c-stick immediately afterwards is too quick for your thumb. I might try switching L to jump or something since I never use it. That way I can shield and jump with both triggers and use my thumb for the c-stick Fair.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
What is the best option when Diddy is sheilding with no nanner in his hand but has a banner infront of him? I think this is the hardest part of the match up. It screws with you landing, approach and I just find it really trcky. Any suggestions?

DrSoussou

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2552-2785-0774
I'm assuming you mean that he has one on the ground immediately in front of him, in other words, close enough to pick up and throw. I don't have much experience in this matchup as far as high level play goes, but I feel like there are a few things that immediately come to mind.

You could eliminate the banana by picking it up, but that would involve getting very close or using a dash attack, both of which are dangerous options and are easily punished. This turns your first instinct into employing an aerial approach. In my opinion, the best option would be to use a SHFair approach, land behind Diddy's shield, and grab with a landing Force Palm. Diddy would likely defend against the Fair by continuing to shield, and would be vulnerable to the FP grab.

In terms of relatively safe options, the only other one I can think of is Aura Sphere. Projectiles are awesome. Obviously he could counter by throwing the banana, but he would never just sit there and take aura spheres on his shield. This means you could force him to make the first move, rather than thinking of ways to approach a well-fortified defense. Then again, this means you're volunteering to participate more in the banana game, which is always in Diddy's favor.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Thank you for the insight. I don't mind playing in a banana game for a little bit. You could just keep it for awhile anyway.

Top Bottom