• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A thread ASK QUESTIONS HERE.

Fizzle_Boy

Smash Ace
^I disagree^

If you have an AS use it to punish, but smashes have too much start-up lag. I suggest a grab up close, a dash attack if you're not close enough for a dash grab, or an Aura Sphere if you've got one fully charged.

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
^I disagree^

If you have an AS use it to punish, but smashes have too much start-up lag. I suggest a grab up close, a dash attack if you're not close enough for a dash grab, or an Aura Sphere if you've got one fully charged.
Oh, I see what you mean. Thanks for correcting me. :)

BloodFire

Smash Rookie
What are some grab-release options for Lucario? I am thinking grab release to ftilt, utilt, or fair?

iRJi

Smash Champion
Lucario's best punishing moves is AS, Dsmash, Fsmash.
^I disagree^

AS is good, but actually his best punishing option for all around coverage is Dair. It all really comes down to the situation though, but Dair is the best overall.

Vionce

Smash Journeyman
What are some grab-release options for Lucario? I am thinking grab release to ftilt, utilt, or fair?
on some characters like bowser or fox who aren't released very far, you can follow up with jab>jab>grab. If they manage to shield first just roll away so you don't get grabbed.

Browny

Smash Hater
from ankokus list...

lee by far has the most placings, then ksizzle. they both use other chars as well, though

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
On the usmash, I find it decent if I see a move that has a lot of committing ending lag (like dairs or things like that) then I'll usmash, also, if I've conditioned my opponent to doing a ledgejump (not to be confused with ledgehop) after experiencing over and over that they can almost never get back on the stage by other means, I can usually nail them with usmash. Other than that, there are rare occasions when I'm willing to use it.

hough123

Smash Ace
I just played my friend's Marth and Olimar, and I fealt like there was a wall in my willingness to do things. They both were really tough to fight, but I won 2\3 sets.

How can I beat Marf and Olimoor more easily? It'd help for my tourney tomorrow if I knew more than the matchup thread's repeated "DONT GET ***** AND DONT GO TO BF LOLOLOLOL" posts =\

Fizzle_Boy

Smash Ace
Focus Cancel or Crunchatize Me Capem?
Anyway, against Oli, try to keep him in the air or off the stage. I've heard that Luc's Dair beats the Olimar USmash, and so far, thats held true for me.
Marth on the other hand, is the reason we have secondaries. A good Marth or even a mediocre one will be a huge pain. Just waltch out for his Up-B.

hough123

Smash Ace
Focus Cancel or Crunchatize Me Capem?
Anyway, against Oli, try to keep him in the air or off the stage. I've heard that Luc's Dair beats the Olimar USmash, and so far, thats held true for me.
Marth on the other hand, is the reason we have secondaries. A good Marth or even a mediocre one will be a huge pain. Just waltch out for his Up-B.
Focus Cancel. I had more troub;e with Marth, so I'll take your advice and pick one up =D

Who should I pick up BTW?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Well, as far as marth goes, I often suggest playing/studying your character weakness by using him for a bit, and learning his weaknesses. For example, marth's excellent punishement, air game, and setup abilities are eclipsed by the fact that he has an average recovery (we don't have it easy either, but something to think about), which suffice to say is kind of gimpable, his moves are incredibly horrible on block, his kill potential can be trumped by other characters (including ours, which slightly can edge his if done right), he's relatively light, and can require a strenuous amount of time for the marth player to learn how to capitalize mistakes on a good player.
If you really want to CP against him though, I'd say MK, and snake, possibly. Honestly, when I was in my "marth" phase, I absolutely HATED the marth vs. MK matchup, it required an extreme amount of patience and reading, and often for some measly gain that could be quickly taken considering MK's advantages nearly beats all of marths (barring Dancing Blade's utility and questionably fair).
Snake, as far as that goes, if you can learn to gay it up with camping, will do pretty well vs. marth.
I'd say though that the best bet is to learn the matchup. Most marths, even pretty good ones (ex. I see Shaya mess up on things he shouldn't in his tourney vids) haven't learned to play against lucario, and it isn't entirely the worst matchup to be put in (but he certainly isn't nice for sure), at least he doesn't have a **** setup or anything like that.

Fizzle_Boy

Smash Ace
and it isn't entirely the worst matchup to be put in (but he certainly isn't nice for sure.
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa Lois that is not my Batman glass. I always thought Marth was Lucario's worst matchup. If it's not Marth than who is it?

edit: oh ya, I'll be at Crunchatize Me CapeM :(. Make sure to do a good job repin Luc in Cbus!

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Arguably D3, or MK. Marth is hard though, but I find it decently doable.
It's really up for speculation.
But this is my word as a former marth main, if you learn the matchup, imo it's almost fun. (almost)

hough123

Smash Ace
at least he doesn't have a **** setup or anything like that.
I know, but that's all we have in the match-up thread =\
So since I play my friend nearly every week, he's only hard to fight because he's learned the match-up? That's good :laugh:

I'd rather not second MK, so I'll just learn the match-up.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Which match up is harder DDD or olimar? If you ask me these two are tied for second worst lucario match up. But I see most people say that DDD is worse. I dont get why, please explain?

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
I guess that makes sense. I also have killed Olimars players as low as 83%. DDD has a bit of wait on him. I just didn't think my question through. thanks guys.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
That's an icky question, but I'd say Ganon, despite more kill potential, this guy WILL GET PWNED. C. Falcon has us at 40/60 (I really disagree, possibly by 5-10 points more in lucario's favor, like 35:65), and Ganons have it 25/75.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
Sometimes i wonder whether Sakurai Hated the legend oz Zelda. I mean only Sheik ever made it to top tier. the rest are either mid or in the case Of link and ganon Epic fail.

TheStig

Smash Lord
for me ganon is easier, because he's a lot slower, and easier to camp. i have a friend that uses cf, and i lose to him sometimes. mostly because I try to do crazy offstage gimps for style pts.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Well remember that Sakurai wanted Brawl to be a less competitive game.
So, he made characters based on how he wanted them, with a minor competitive side because all of the melee ppls wanting to continue the smash scene.

So his intention was to have fun characters, We gave them their tiers.
-t2

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
I am going to a tourney on July 12 and this will be my second tourney. I am just asking how should I prepare myself for this tourney?

iRJi

Smash Champion
I am going to a tourney on July 12 and this will be my second tourney. I am just asking how should I prepare myself for this tourney?
Practice The day before, and the morning before you go. Make sure you are calm also. Also when you get there, play friendlies until it starts if you can. The propose of a tourney is not just to win, but to get practice from it. if you feel you are undeveloped with your character, friendlies at tourneys is the best way to learn playstyles, and things you might not have known before.

hough123

Smash Ace
Practice The day before, and the morning before you go. Make sure you are calm also. Also when you get there, play friendlies until it starts if you can. The propose of a tourney is not just to win, but to get practice from it. if you feel you are undeveloped with your character, friendlies at tourneys is the best way to learn playstyles, and things you might not have known before.
I only got to play one friendly at mine =\
I got fifth though, so w/e.

I'd say some things that you ABSOLUTELY have to have done or do are:
  1. You can't be a scrub. (Not that you're a scrub ;).)
  2. You have to stay calm, even after losses.
  3. Practice your recovery.
  4. Reread the match up thread.
  5. Practice against some friends.

Top Bottom