• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A thread ASK QUESTIONS HERE.

HyperEnergy

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah, and if you see any other players playing your character, watch their matches. You can possibly learn a ton about playing your character more effectively by watching all those matches that never get recorded.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Oh yeah, don't get freaked out if your placed with a "pool shark" lol, or someone really, really good. It happens, but you just want to play as calm and patient as you can.

hough123

Smash Ace
How long can the sideB chaingrab be extended with buffering?
Not very long. It'll go something like this: Jab>Jab*>**FP>**FP>Never D=
*= DI'd out of.
**= Broken out of.

I'm trying to decide on a smash title, I've been using "Reiki", (pronounced RAY-KEE), meaning aura in Japanese. At my tourney they kept saying "REE-KEE." I used to use "Hough123", (HG123 on screen, pronounced "HUFF-WON-TOO-THREE"), while I expect this to be constantly mis-pronounced, I'm used to it IRL =\

So pick one that you like best ;O

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Controller ports are interesting...
In the short, very rough side of things, they determine who gets more priority on attacks and other things (highest port = highest priority) iirc.
Most won't really bother much about it unless they are playing against snake because there are some weird mechanics on it (too hard to go into detail for right now, I'll have to pull it up or something). Also, there are usually rules for letting loser pick the better port, so it's certainly enough to impact the outcome of a specific scenario.

Vionce

Smash Journeyman
What's the deal with controller ports?
Character A grabs B. Both receive damage on the same frame (ie grenade from snake). Whoever has the port closer to 4 takes no knockback. example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhmRoAz_4CQ

Bowser koopa cides using side B. If bowser is closer to port 1, he wins. If opponent is closer to port 1, sudden death (only on the last stock).

Ganon uses ganoncide (side b). If ganon is closer to port 1, sudden death. If opponent is closer to port 1, opponent wins.

I don't know about kirby and D3 swallowcides. Just test it when you have time.

I think that if anyone cares about ports, rock/paper/scissors. On CP you can choose which port.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
suicides in most areas are already given a rule for winning by whoever performed it successfully, so usually ports don't matter, but Vionce hit it on the nail with snake's effect.

Fizzle_Boy

Smash Ace
Oh, I learned about the port system earlier this week. Basically what I heard was: If both players grab at the same time, the one with the lower port's grab beats out the other. If a grab is disrupted the player with a higher port doesn't get knocked back. In rare cases, the number of your controller port can determine whether you win or lose the game, but I forget the specifics of that.

Oh ya Hough, watch out. None of Ohio's really good brawlers came to Focus Cancel. I'd say about 50% of the attendance at Crunchatize Me Capem would've taken first place (which kind of annoys me because the prize was like $75 and I totally missed out on it). But the Midwest is the most Lucario-heavy region I know of, so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting into the swing of things. Hopefully I'll get to play you soon.....in Lucario dittos.....which totally suck.

hough123

Smash Ace
Oh, I learned about the port system earlier this week. Basically what I heard was: If both players grab at the same time, the one with the lower port's grab beats out the other. If a grab is disrupted the player with a higher port doesn't get knocked back. In rare cases, the number of your controller port can determine whether you win or lose the game, but I forget the specifics of that.

Oh ya Hough, watch out. None of Ohio's really good brawlers came to Focus Cancel. I'd say about 50% of the attendance at Crunchatize Me Capem would've taken first place (which kind of annoys me because the prize was like $75 and I totally missed out on it). But the Midwest is the most Lucario-heavy region I know of, so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting into the swing of things. Hopefully I'll get to play you soon.....in Lucario dittos.....which totally suck.
Looking foward to it =D
Not the getting ***** part, the battle part D=

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
I was reading the New Lucario Guide and I noticed the RAS. I knew about it but thought it was pointless to learn. Then after watching the video on it I thought I should learn it. Do you guys think it is something you can use effectively in a matchup?

iRJi

Smash Champion
I was reading the New Lucario Guide and I noticed the RAS. I knew about it but thought it was pointless to learn. Then after watching the video on it I thought I should learn it. Do you guys think it is something you can use effectively in a matchup?
I do it all the time XD. its one of the basic things you have to learn with Lucario actually, because you are going to use it a lot more then you think. I actually know how to do it from the ledge, and I am not sure if a lot of people know about that. Its useful, and if people don't know what I'm talking about, I can just post a video about it.

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
You should post the video it would benefit Lucario mains a lot.

EDIT: RJ I watched your videos on youtube. Your Luigi is BEAST.

hough123

Smash Ace
It's a really neat technique when using Lucario, as it allows you to recover, charge, hit an opponent chasing your back, and much more. Not enough Lucarios use it IMO.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
I asked that same question long ago Fizz, then Milln corrects me with a >_> lol

thenewaol

Smash Rookie
i'm starting to have trouble with spot dodges. the people i play often already know to spot dodge out of a>a>force palm, and quite often they don't even get hit by the flame part. even if i try to bait the spot dodge, characters like rob and MK can spot dodge most of my attacks into a punishing move of their own (dsmash >.<). as a previous marth main i never really had this problem because dancing blade basically owns roll dodge and spot dodge for you. but for lucario, which moves best deal with spot dodges? or should i just keep trying to bait it for a fsmash or something?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
try jab cancelling, it'll give you that AA ->FP back pretty quickly, basically you jab jab, then buffer a crouch to cancel the ending animation then go jab jab again. After that, spotdodge will only get punished by jabs, so they'll end up shielding more, then you can grab (it's pretty much like a really good tech chase when you jab lol).
D. Disciple loves jab cancelling, he can attest to that.

iRJi

Smash Champion
try jab cancelling, it'll give you that AA ->FP back pretty quickly, basically you jab jab, then buffer a crouch to cancel the ending animation then go jab jab again. After that, spotdodge will only get punished by jabs, so they'll end up shielding more, then you can grab (it's pretty much like a really good tech chase when you jab lol).
D. Disciple loves jab cancelling, he can attest to that.
it really is more useful, just to add on to phil. Another thing to add:

If you know that he is going to spot dodge, use an option that will beat his spot dodge out. This game is about reading your opponent, and if you know what he is going to do then it makes it easier. He knows you are going to FP after the jabs, so he spot dodges to beat your option. So instead, use something that will beat out his option that is trying to beat out your option. Jab canceling is a good way to do it. DTilt or even sometimes a simple retreat can also work wonders.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
Yeah jab canceling is sweet. It's a mere abuser to those who like to spot dodge when you always go for jab-jab-force palm. But what RJ said, we can use other moves that can abuse opponents who try to spot dodge your jab-jab-force palm combo.

Dsmash, AS, more jabs, dtilt, ftilt, utilt (if you have it turn around on them, so that the aura hits them and not your foot.)

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
Really? I was playing Brawl+ and the Uthrow chaingrab works on fatties. To bad it doesn't work for Brawl.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
Phil 20 % seriously shouldnt be considered a chaingrab imo. But I make use of it anyway replacing last upthrow with Dthrow>Bair, fair>dair trap.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Phil 20 % seriously shouldnt be considered a chaingrab imo. But I make use of it anyway replacing last upthrow with Dthrow>Bair, fair>dair trap.
lol A chaingrab isn't defined by how much percent it does. It's defined by how many grabs you get in succession of each other. So technically a chaingrab is any 2+ grabs in a row. Now sure there are chaingrabs that are broken down into "sub" categories such as "pseudo CG," "tech chase CG," and "grab release." In reality though all of these could be considered a CG.

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
Greetings Lucario boards. One of my fellow Sonic Boards posters said something that is rather peculiar and is being tight-lipped;

The Sonic-Lucario matchup of the present is about 6:4
The Sonic-Lucario matchup of the future is definitely 9:1

And since I'm so future that I'm not good at this game yet, I chose Lucario. Trust me, if Lucario's ever figure our the secret to truly ****** Sonic, you will learn to CP.
I can't help but feel that, if this is legitimate, that it would give Lucario several 9-1 matchups. Again, MarKO is being rather tight-lipped about this so I was hoping if I could get your help to confirm or debunk this "secret to truly ****** Sonic"

Thanks guys.
- OSM

hough123

Smash Ace
Greetings Lucario boards. One of my fellow Sonic Boards posters said something that is rather peculiar and is being tight-lipped;

I can't help but feel that, if this is legitimate, that it would give Lucario several 9-1 matchups. Again, MarKO is being rather tight-lipped about this so I was hoping if I could get your help to confirm or debunk this "secret to truly ****** Sonic"

Thanks guys.
- OSM
We need a pro Sonic to ask him for us, then tell us =P

Browny

Smash Hater
Haha

thats just the same as over5warm saying Dtilt:Sonic is 100:0

We all know how that turned out (twice) :D

Top Bottom