• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Publishers's anti-used games policies and what we can do about it

finalark

SNORLAX
As I'm sure all of you know, over the past several years publishers have discouraged the purchasing of used games but offering exclusive DLC and forcing use to use online passes, among other things such as project 10 dollars. If you are not aware, there have been rumors about saying that the next Xbox will not allow used games to be ran on it at all. Ever. Period. You can say goodbye to lending games to your friends, you can say goodbye to buying games much later cheaper, from now on you'll have to pay $60 for every single game you buy. And because new consoles possibly won't run used games you can say hello to having thirty useless disks lying around the house.

I don't know how true this rumor is, but even if its false the actions of publishers hurt the used games market and gamers as a whole. It hurts those of us who can't afford to drop $60 on every game we might want to play, it hurts stores that rely heavily off of used games to stay afloat, and chances are less new games will be bought and more non-mainstream treasures will slip by unplayed. To be frank, this is bull****. I believe we should do what we can to stop this trend. Boycott, petitions, anything.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
PC games already can't be bought or sold used since they use extremely long codes you need to register to play them.

It's not too unthinkable

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Honestly as little as buying used games affects me since I get all my games new anyways, I can't stand this either way because I can't borrow games from my friends anymore

My friend loaned me his copy of the new Mortal Kombat for like a week and only ended up having it for like 3 days because my 3 day online pass had used up and besides the online the game has nothing better about it. That is bull**** how I got to use the game for like 3 days when I had a full week to use it and I couldn't use the next best feature next to its pretty short story mode because I had to drop 10$ to unlock that feature. I feel ripped of by the publishers because I actually WAS considering buying my own copy of MK, but since I didn't get a good enough of an idea on whether or not I liked the online well enough, they could kiss goodbye to 60$ on a new copy.

I also can't help but feel that companies like gamefly will go broke because of this since they do gaming rentals which would suck because that would mean I can't pocket games from gamefly anymore like I used to :glare:

:phone:

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I'm worried if this may promote more piracy.
Piracy will never be the sole form of consumption until it is easy for everyone to do. If any features are nerfed, people will still buy.

As for this? If it continues, there's nothing you can do. Used games = no money for publishers, period. If they sell a game at $10, they still get something. As long as money is an object, companies will try to monetize completely.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I don't understand why game publishers think they should be immune to the second hand market. Everything has a second hand market. Hell, car makers even use their car's longevity in the second-hand market as a selling point. Obviously you can't directly compare cars and games, but it shows that most industries have either learned to live with it, or even profit from it.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
It's called capitalism. If it ever becomes too expensive then just don't buy it, we aren't entitled to anything but what we pay for.

Boycott's wil never work unless it's an actual boycott, such as a majority of people deliberately buying it used or buy the game but refusing to pay for the DLC, but not buying it isn't an effective boycott because you're not a consumer in the first place.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I suppose you have a point. The only way Microsoft will decide against the thing for the 720, is if a large percentage of people who bought the 360 and all that decide to buy say, a PS4 instead. Mind you, I was going to get one over a 720 anyway assuming that's what they're called, but still, lol.

Yoshi

Smash Lord
If this is true for the new X-Box, assume Sony and Nintendo will either take note or just follow suit altogether. My fear is this might repeat what itunes did to local video rentals; demolish any form of a second-hand market. Or worse, completely wipe out the market for gamers (like myself) who rent first, buy later. Yes, demo's do exist for free on all new-gen systems, but personally I do miss the days where I could pay like $8 for a 2-day rental, over buying a then $50 game on release.

Let's hope these are strictly rumors.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Games are getting ******** now. Hopefully nintendo doesn't follow suit and those fed up with microsoft's antics will switch over

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
The worst thing about this will be that it will make getting older games nigh-impossible. Thanks to limited print runs (whether it be a thousand or a million copies), the number of copies printed will limit the amount of people who play the game to literally only the number of printed copies. For more obscure/smaller print run games (a ton of ds games come immediately to mind), that would be terrible.

Edit:
Just buy less games in general.

I only plan to have 15 or so quality games MAX on my PS3. I could care less for DLC +$5.

Thank God for Redbox and Gamefly
This is a terrifically ignorant statement. Just because YOU buy less games doesn't mean that I should buy less games.

And by the way? This system change would kill all forms of rentals, including Redbox and Gamefly.

Yoshi

Smash Lord
I think what it would be is a transform from physical stores and purchasing to potentially strictly digital. Look at itunes for example; does what HMV and Blockbuster do, but at a cheaper cost and more customer convenience. With that in mind, I'm thinking the big three one day will just start issuing games strictly online to lower production costs while probably upping system costs with more memory to hold more games.
That's an extreme, but could very well be a reality. I hope that isn't the case, I do quite enjoy purchasing used games now and then.

finalark

SNORLAX
The worst thing about this will be that it will make getting older games nigh-impossible. Thanks to limited print runs (whether it be a thousand or a million copies), the number of copies printed will limit the amount of people who play the game to literally only the number of printed copies. For more obscure/smaller print run games (a ton of ds games come immediately to mind), that would be terrible.
Werekill pretty much has it. Games that ship in a limited number of copies will be borderline impossible to find. And since the only copies that can be played are new ones prepare to play out the *** if you missed it during its initial run.

On top of that, prepare to see less risks and less progression in general. After all, what would be the point in trying new things if people can't even give it a chance later when its used then pick up the sequel new if they liked it?

This whole "no used games" idea sucks for everyone.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Actually games will be going digital in the future by the looks of it. It wouldn't surprise me if discs become obselete in the near future.

Maybe for those people who still don't have the internet there'll be a one use only USB drive with a game on it that you can buy in shops.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Actually games will be going digital in the future by the looks of it. It wouldn't surprise me if discs become obselete in the near future.

Maybe for those people who still don't have the internet there'll be a one use only USB drive with a game on it that you can buy in shops.

That will be delayed if bandwidth remains an issue. ISP providers do not like the idea of having mostly everything downloaded. Expect either tiers to emerge more or just paying per download over XGB.

finalark

SNORLAX
That will be delayed if bandwidth remains an issue. ISP providers do not like the idea of having mostly everything downloaded. Expect either tiers to emerge more or just paying per download over XGB.
Exactly. Completely digital won't be an option until this issue is solved.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Most people don't do that though. If CoD4 or whatever came out tomorrow, I can guarantee there would be a line right now.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
My point exactly.

Consumption has grown to the extent that businesses will get away with this for long time. I for one am not feeding these non-considerate developers.

Activision wouldn't do this though because their franchise is SO popular that millions will buy on day one. They could care less if people buy COD used.

Frolossus

Smash Lord
I'm worried if this may promote more piracy.
the used game market has always been worse for devs than piracy

also @op, i don't think anyone will have 30 useless disks when the console manufacturers can tie games to accounts in a similar fashion that already exists for the PC market like steam or battle.net

i wouldn't worry about a limited number of a game being produced in the future when even console gaming switches entirely to downloading the game directly to the console. who cares if they run out of disks when you can swipe your credit card and download it directly to a console right?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Game Rental placed would go extinct if you couldn't have used games anymore.

That guy saying "Thank goodness for gamefly" doesn't understand this will KILL gamefly FORCING you to buy the game to play it

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
The thing that kinda hit me now is that this will be AWFUL for the tournament scene too. No longer can TOs save money by having Joe bring his Xbox so that when Paul brings his copy of Street Fighter Hyper Turbo Arcade Edition Reloaded 2015, that things will run smoothly. They'll have to buy their own consoles for the tournaments, their own copies of the game, etc. And, most Tournament Organizers can NOT afford that.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Just make the games great and attractive like Activision does. You won't have to worry about missing lunch the next day just because some people are buying your games used.
I thought Activision was the incarnation of greed

Yoshi

Smash Lord
Last time I checked, EA still supports SOPA/PIPA, unless they flip-flopped, which semi-related note; they can go **** themselves.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Last time I checked, EA still supports SOPA/PIPA, unless they flip-flopped, which semi-related note; they can go **** themselves.

If a "Certain hacker group" is full of and created by "angry nerds" wouldn't they have already hacked and threatened EA if they didn't change their stance?

D

Deleted member

This would sound alright, except in the occasions where downloadable games are taken off digital market, making them impossible for new players to try them legally.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
Activision isn't greedy. Their just taking advantage of their consumer base.

WE are the ones paying $60 for the same game every year. WE are the ones buying $15 DLC regardless if it's good or not. I don't know about you guys but I'm not spending as much as money on games anymore.

Come to think of it, this may not be too bad since new copies of games tend to get cheaper over time. Catherine is $40 now as opposed to $60.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It's hard to say this without coming off too insulting, but I feel like, whether you look at any sort of medium...sports. music, movies, games...there is always an abundant source of the base that will buy without using their brain. Far as games go, there is a huge audience that will just flock to Call of Duty, Madden, or even Assassin's Creed, because they want something to relieve their temporary crave for entertainment through video games. I know a lot of people who buy games, despite knowing they are being ripped off for the product given, and people who buy DLC despite knowing that "it's not worth it."

Yes there is a minority that chooses to not support companies, or support them minimally. For example, I am not gonna go buy the next AC game, rather I would just red box it, beat it in a few nights, and give it back. 6 dollars well spent. Same time, I see the repetitiveness of CoD, Madden, and refuse to buy these games. All in all, if there is any chance of defeating the big bad company and getting what you want, it starts with yourself and your support. Much as I'd like to see gamers unite and throw a **** storm about used games being cut out, it's not gonna happen, because the gaming audience consists of uneducated and unwilling people.

In my world, I would hope people would stop giving crap about the Kardashians, Jersey Shore, Tim Tebow, poorly made movies that make a lot of money, "mainstream" musicians...etc.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Boredone, I hate those kind of shows too but you can understand why people watch them. And when it comes to wars over which entertainment is better the Internet really doesn't have a leg to stand on. MLP? Pervy animes? Boring memes? Really that's not any better than any mainstream crap.

If a "Certain hacker group" is full of and created by "angry nerds" wouldn't they have already hacked and threatened EA if they didn't change their stance?
I doubt it, they're trying to shed the terrorist label the world has started to give them so terrorising people who don't agree with them isn't going to help their cause.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Boredone, I hate those kind of shows too but you can understand why people watch them. And when it comes to wars over which entertainment is better the Internet really doesn't have a leg to stand on. MLP? Pervy animes? Boring memes? Really that's not any better than any mainstream crap.

I doubt it, they're trying to shed the terrorist label the world has started to give them so terrorising people who don't agree with them isn't going to help their cause.

I guess, though there was that whole thing with that one banking group that supported SOPA being hacked and essentially held for $50k and pull of support on SOPA or else their personal info, credit cards, etc, and all that would be made public everywhere.

But yeah, you've got a point. I just think this whole concept is kind of silly.

finalark

SNORLAX
It's hard to say this without coming off too insulting, but I feel like, whether you look at any sort of medium...sports. music, movies, games...there is always an abundant source of the base that will buy without using their brain. Far as games go, there is a huge audience that will just flock to Call of Duty, Madden, or even Assassin's Creed, because they want something to relieve their temporary crave for entertainment through video games. I know a lot of people who buy games, despite knowing they are being ripped off for the product given, and people who buy DLC despite knowing that "it's not worth it."
The reason why this is is for the same reason that Zelda fans buy every new Zelda game that comes out, or why Mario fans will bought Mario Galaxy 2 despite it being mostly the same as galaxy 1 but with a few new power ups and a world map. People just stick with whatever they know works for them.

Yes there is a minority that chooses to not support companies, or support them minimally. For example, I am not gonna go buy the next AC game, rather I would just red box it, beat it in a few nights, and give it back. 6 dollars well spent. Same time, I see the repetitiveness of CoD, Madden, and refuse to buy these games. All in all, if there is any chance of defeating the big bad company and getting what you want, it starts with yourself and your support. Much as I'd like to see gamers unite and throw a **** storm about used games being cut out, it's not gonna happen, because the gaming audience consists of uneducated and unwilling people.
I think the biggest issue is that most of the gaming audience is uneducated on how the industry actually works. How many people actually realize that companies are discouraging used games sales with online passes and such? And for those who do realize, how many have figured out what this means for gaming as a whole? How many people think that publishers and companies that make consoles are their best friends without realizing that they just want their money? The issue is that despite online discussions like this, a majority of people who play games just see it as a hobby and don't take it seriously enough to do anything about it.

In my world, I would hope people would stop giving crap about the Kardashians, Jersey Shore, Tim Tebow, poorly made movies that make a lot of money, "mainstream" musicians...etc.
Even if I don't care for a lot of those things, I can understand why people like them. Well, I'm going to defend poorly made movies that make money by the truckloads right now and mainstream music by saying that those movies are fun to watch for a one day rental and IMO mainstream music is better than whatever whale song some hipster band is making.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
One solution I see is to buy only used games. Would only work if enough people did that though, which is unlikely.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I get what you and the other person were saying, Finalark, and only buying used games is something I'm unsure of, but I don't for the life of me understand why people like Jersey Shore. It's not even like it's a bad reality show, because well, I don't even consider that crap to be a reality show, lol.

finalark

SNORLAX
I get what you and the other person were saying, Finalark, and only buying used games is something I'm unsure of, but I don't for the life of me understand why people like Jersey Shore. It's not even like it's a bad reality show, because well, I don't even consider that crap to be a reality show, lol.
From the people I know who like Jersey Shore, there are only two kinds of people who watch it. Either people who think its funny because of how bad it is, or people who relate to it.

Lets leave it at that.

Top Bottom