• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M - Yoshi matches

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
P:M Yoshi is kinda sorta similar to brawl Yoshi after all, which confuses me when people never think about a simple jump OoS and DJC nair to hit people or just now finding out how good Bair is.

His Egg roll has less priority, Bair is still good to use, Dair is sometimes good to use when somebody falls on a platform, and eggs (while also not breaking until they hit something) became better since we can angle it behind us and create a wall with the eggs. Hell I was still messing around trying to find ways during that tournament to make eggs better, and in that video against link there was 2 or 3 occasions it set up for something.

Cause honestly, if anybody thinks Eggs are not good they should probably stop playing Yoshi cause that's basically all he was in Brawl and P:M is just Brawl 2.0 with melee physics thrown back in there.

Also, one of the more notable changes is the fact Down throw sets itself up against most of the cast compared to Brawl just being grab release.

Last edited:

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Well, he's more like Melee Yoshi 2.0, but there's certainly a lot of Brawl Yoshi's best attributes. The truth is, Yoshi eggs were pretty good in Melee too, but they're just underused because he has other tools. Brawl Yoshi is all Egg spam because that's pretty much all he has, and most Brawl characters don't have the ability to rush you down quick enough to punish it.

Eggs are still pretty good though. You just need to pick the right angle to make them hesitant to run straight at you, then punish them for hesitating.

Last edited:

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
I like egg throw for pressure off stage and sometimes to pressure defensive players at a distance. Sometimes I use it to try one last ditched effort to keep a combo going if they are too far up.

Oddly, I use Dair a ton, and not enough Bair. I could kinda get away with it. Guess I need to get in on that before I go to a tourney on March 28th. And a lot of other things. I'll put up the matches if I get on the stream. Great stuff!

Last edited:

Alphicans

Smash Hero
It's actually really good for stuffing air approaches, and following up juggles. If you get in the habit of tossing an egg up every time your opponent is above you, you start controlling how they land, and it makes continuing the juggle that much easier.
It's good if you know 100% it's going to hit, otherwise you've made yourself a non-moving target who has gained 0 stage control, and most likely gave your opponent a free landing. Instead you could dashdance under them, threatening a dash/pivot grab their landing, or some good anti-air moves (unlike eggs) like uair and rising bair.

P:M Yoshi is kinda sorta similar to brawl Yoshi after all, which confuses me when people never think about a simple jump OoS and DJC nair to hit people or just now finding out how good Bair is.

His Egg roll has less priority, Bair is still good to use, Dair is sometimes good to use when somebody falls on a platform, and eggs (while also not breaking until they hit something) became better since we can angle it behind us and create a wall with the eggs. Hell I was still messing around trying to find ways during that tournament to make eggs better, and in that video against link there was 2 or 3 occasions it set up for something.

Cause honestly, if anybody thinks Eggs are not good they should probably stop playing Yoshi cause that's basically all he was in Brawl and P:M is just Brawl 2.0 with melee physics thrown back in there.

Also, one of the more notable changes is the fact Down throw sets itself up against most of the cast compared to Brawl just being grab release.
Dude Idk what to say man... PM yoshi is not like brawl yoshi. He's like melee yoshi with some brawl hitboxes and a buffed sideB. Anyways since I feel strongly about this I am gonna go through the times egg toss "set up for something"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3j3a1Ej1cE#t=128 - here is a clear case of the link ****ing up. This egg toss was actually pretty bad, and he easily could have upBd you, likely killing you. Lucky for you he didn't react and got punished
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3j3a1Ej1cE#t=284 - this is actually pretty cool, but again it was a result of him being kind of dumb. Jumping and pulling a bomb towards you is a really bad option for link. Also the thing is, if you chose a better option like usmash, bair or uair, you would've gotten a way harder punish, however instead you chose that laggy egg throw and got minimal % for it. Egg toss commits you so hard to a not-so-great option, I don't see how you can defend it :/

Anyways I guess that's it. You got some stray egg toss hits, which were probably the only good times you used it. I am not saying egg toss is never a good option... Sometimes your opponent will try camping or putting themselves on the platform where you can't easily access them, so a egg toss to force a shield into a pressuring follow-up (even as simple as putting yourself beneath them) can be really good. Also I kinda liked your egg tosses before recovery, but at the same time it seems like they unnecessarily limit your options. Again it commits you to something i.e., recovering low. Recovering low is good sometimes, but you pretty much always did, and lucky for you, you didn't really get punished for it. I think the link could've thrown out some upBs to stuff you really hard on a few occasions, but I think he was needlessly scared of the egg tosses. The thing about them is that they don't cover any space you were be jumping towards, since they leave the active space before you reach it, so players can just wait for you to do it and punish your predictable recovery.

Yo man sorry for calling you out, but like you said I shouldn't play yoshi anymore, and that hurts. I think a lot about this game and yoshi's options, and I think he has incredibly potential in this game (he DESTROYS floaties and tether recoveries), but none of that potential, imo, can be attributed to egg toss. When I look at the buff on egg toss it screams off stage pressure, since it can hit people who want to sweet spot by going low, and that's how I mostly use it (not the only way mind you).

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
People usually don't see eggtoss coming, it forces them to avoid it thus putting them in an even worse situation whether it be off stage or on, or it's a gimmick in a way that makes them run into it like a magnet.
It forces them to **** up at times, it won't work all the time but when it does it benefits you in probably 15 or so % if you react and follow up on it. Dunno how tacking on almost 20% is better than making Usmash stale and getting % on myself cause of making his bomb explode and possibly even killing me depending how the next 2 seconds went while I'm in the air and cause he's link, barely going up cause of weight so he's on the stage still.

Egg toss while recovering may limit me, but you're forgetting since they don't explode till they hit something it limits them too. Sure they have to wait an extra few seconds now, but who's to say our recovery is predictable now? Unless you really do just keep double jumping to the safe warm comfort of the ledge only then yeah it's predictable.
And like I said awhile ago with eggs being a gimmick kinda, that's the thing with people. They're afraid of eggs for some reason. Or hell Yoshi in general, afraid of the unknown when they have no idea what the character does since not many play it when they usually opt for high/top tier characters. Like that fer some people, tho fer me I usually screw around to find out what the character does.

It doesn't mattress how laggy the move is, it's still good to use. It's brawls Eggtoss lag for gods sake, and with the egg toss being N64 angles it's still in the region of good only because of the people doing this mod removed his brawl hop everytime he used egg toss and to compensate for removing that decent recovery for him they gave that awkward Egg roll recovery.

Last edited:

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I know you were mostly a brawl player and all, but making moves "stale" is not significant enough to even sort of factor into strategy. Brawl is the only game where a move being stale mattered at all. Most Melee players literally don't even know it's a thing.

And it kind of does matter how laggy the move is. It's good when you've got a lot of distance between you and the opponent, or when you know it's going to hit, but it's not a good zoning tool. If you throw out 1 too many eggs, and you don't hit anything, that lag is going to get you punished. I used TONS of eggs back in the 64 days, cuz I liked playing on Sector Z, and Hyrule Castle. Those days are gone.

Personally, I like trying to end combos with it. When I know I've hit them as much as I'm going to, and they're going to fly too far for me to follow up further, I chuck an egg at them hoping for one last hit.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Let me try to solve this debate here.

While I see both sides' arguments, Egg Toss has worth in more dramatic situations. It's not a move that can be used often to apply pressure when the opponent has the time to react and punish. It's useful when extreme pressure or extreme defence is being applied. If you were to be combo-ing someone and end up knocking them away, a well placed egg can eliminate a good set of options (even retaliation) that would otherwise reset the stance on who has an advantage/disadvantage. This would either knock them further away or would allow us to continue offensive pressure that would've ended without that kind of set up.

Explaining its use for defence, you can still block regular approaches from characters that don't have a disjoint to go through them. Forgive my incorrect info, but I believe AmSa did this in a few matches at Apex. Certain characters that try to attack a defensive Yoshi will lose their momentum and allow us to counter combo from a well placed egg. It may not be optimal in throwing it like Brawl, but knowing when and how to throw it during crucial times can definitely help Yoshi shutdown a decent amount of opposition.

As far as off stage use, I think that goes without saying.

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
^^ Well said. As for off stage use, I really only think it's good for harassing opponents, somewhat limiting how they can get to the stage when they are further from the stage. And even then Yoshi has some amazing edgeguarding techiques, so eggs may not be the best in every situation. Eggs still are a great.

didds

Smash Lord
http://www.twitch.tv/standardtoaster/b/507801690

8:50 first match, had to end it early due to me having a bracket match. Coulda saved my second stock with a side B :/

42:30 second match starts

All feedback is good, I've got a thick backbone. Second tourny so far and I plan on posting more as I get better and make it on stream more. These were just friendlies

Alphicans

Smash Hero
From those games your yoshi looks good. Your movement is good, your punishment is good, but one thing you don't do (again from those matches) is dash grab. Considering your movement and punishment is good, your opponents do shield a fair amount, and that's free game for a grab. Also things like jabx2 ->grab and djc nair -> grab can work. Grabs are really huge for yoshi, so you'd see really good results if you managed to work in grab setups into your game play.

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
http://www.twitch.tv/standardtoaster/b/507801690

8:50 first match, had to end it early due to me having a bracket match. Coulda saved my second stock with a side B :/

42:30 second match starts

All feedback is good, I've got a thick backbone. Second tourny so far and I plan on posting more as I get better and make it on stream more. These were just friendlies
I love how fast you move! Sometimes I noticed you opting to use setup moves like fair and u-smash when Luigi was at such a high percent that you weren't able to immediately follow up, in which case I think n-air/d-air would have taken him off-stage or popped him up only slightly so you could follow with a kill move. If you expect a move to take them pretty high, save your double jump until the peak of your jump. You'll rise slower but you get more height out of it and it would have allowed you to follow up at 51:37. Also I don't like running into up-smash so much because the hitbox often misses opponents right in front of you like at 51:35, where a crouch-cancelled down-smash would have been more likely to work. Alternatively you could do a turnaround up-smash, I think you'd like that more (note you can't c-stick a turnaround up-smash, you have to input it the normal way).

didds

Smash Lord
Thanks for the reply, I definitely need to limit my usmash use, I'll admit I've got a thing for that move. The early double jump is definitely a bad habit I developed when working on wave lands, but I'll work on it. It didn't help that I hesitated a lot (I'm always a little iffy against trade kings like luigi) when chasing. Question about the turnaround up-smash, is the input the same as say a reverse bair? So turn around while running and just immediately input the usmash? And I love ece to waveland jabs from the ledge, I find that most people just leave me alone on ledge if I throw it out a couple of times in a match successfully

didds

Smash Lord
From those games your yoshi looks good. Your movement is good, your punishment is good, but one thing you don't do (again from those matches) is dash grab. Considering your movement and punishment is good, your opponents do shield a fair amount, and that's free game for a grab. Also things like jabx2 ->grab and djc nair -> grab can work. Grabs are really huge for yoshi, so you'd see really good results if you managed to work in grab setups into your game play.
I'll definitely work on the grab game, I threw out a lot of neutral b's, but naturally it just doesn't lead to as much punishment. I've got to remember that his grab is actually the length of his tongue now :/ Does anyone here use side B for anything other than recovery? I never use it other than messing around and feel like it's too easy to see coming, but if there are any useful applications I'd love to know, I'm pretty big on using all of a characters moves

On the subject of egg toss, unless it's a combo ender or an ece, I literally will not use it unless I've really got a grasp of my opponent's playstyle. For example, if I'm playing someone who is zoning and throwing out a lot of pokes, then I'll toss out some retreating egg tosses. It covers me an occasionally lands me that pop up. On the subject of lag, yea it's not as laggy, but 9 times out of 10 a bair is going to work just as well while leaving yoshi less open. I love the move, but it's super niche in my opinion. #aintfalcoslasers

granted I'm new to actually attending tournaments, so let me know if you disagree and why? #yayforlearning #sorryforthehashtags

Sorry for double post, I'm still new and wasn't sure how to add a quote to my previous post

Last edited:

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the reply, I definitely need to limit my usmash use, I'll admit I've got a thing for that move. The early double jump is definitely a bad habit I developed when working on wave lands, but I'll work on it. It didn't help that I hesitated a lot (I'm always a little iffy against trade kings like luigi) when chasing. Question about the turnaround up-smash, is the input the same as say a reverse bair? So turn around while running and just immediately input the usmash? And I love ece to waveland jabs from the ledge, I find that most people just leave me alone on ledge if I throw it out a couple of times in a match successfully
I forgot about the waveland tricks from edge, I've never tried wl-jab from the ledge but now that you mention it it's a very quick input, jab1 is Yoshi's quickest attack from the ground with the hitbox coming out on frame 3, while a jump-nair comes out at frame 8 and djc-nair around 12 frames. At the tourney I went to, ece was pretty safe against most people because they were wary of coming close, but I've had a Ganon predict it and d-air'ed me out of it so it depends on your opponent. Turnaround up-smash is just like that yeah, you don't even have to reset the analog stick to neutral after turning around.

I'll definitely work on the grab game, I threw out a lot of neutral b's, but naturally it just doesn't lead to as much punishment. I've got to remember that his grab is actually the length of his tongue now :/ Does anyone here use side B for anything other than recovery? I never use it other than messing around and feel like it's too easy to see coming, but if there are any useful applications I'd love to know, I'm pretty big on using all of a characters moves

On the subject of egg toss, unless it's a combo ender or an ece, I literally will not use it unless I've really got a grasp of my opponent's playstyle. For example, if I'm playing someone who is zoning and throwing out a lot of pokes, then I'll toss out some retreating egg tosses. It covers me an occasionally lands me that pop up. On the subject of lag, yea it's not as laggy, but 9 times out of 10 a bair is going to work just as well while leaving yoshi less open. I love the move, but it's super niche in my opinion. #aintfalcoslasers

granted I'm new to actually attending tournaments, so let me know if you disagree and why? #yayforlearning #sorryforthehashtags

Sorry for double post, I'm still new and wasn't sure how to add a quote to my previous post
Side-b from the ledge is a decent option for mixups because of it's very good acceleration and it can catch people off-guard, but I don't think I'd try it too often. Even Ness can grab you out of it but I don't think people would expect ground approaches from you often. Super gimmicky but I do this a lot because it's fun as hell: let go of the ledge -> double jump -> egg lay. If it misses, you'll regrab the ledge, and if it hits, you have a Falco slayer / general trick against fast fallers since they'll fall in egg at the character's normal fall speed. The only trouble I have with it is that sometimes it registers as a b-turnaround so I grab thin air and don't grab the ledge.

Also you can manually add a quote with the quote and /quote tags.

edit: I'm sure you're aware of this but if you use side-b in the air and input the other direction on the analog stick before landing there's no turnaround animation so you'll immediately go in that direction, which often surprises people.

Last edited:

didds

Smash Lord
I'm sure you're aware of this but if you use side-b in the air and input the other direction on the analog stick before landing there's no turnaround animation so you'll immediately go in that direction, which often surprises people.
I actually didn't know that, I'll experiment with that.

The nice thing about the waveland to jab is that I'm pretty sure it's completely safe if you pull off an ece that they have to shield. Then it's just rock-paper-scissors on calling if you'll continue the jab or switch it up. I forget when but I did it on luigi at one point and it was very successful.

On an off note, does anyone know the quickest way to grab ledge. I'd assume it's just a dj turnaround, but maybe down b is quicker?

Last edited:

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
I actually didn't know that, I'll experiment with that.

The nice thing about the waveland to jab is that I'm pretty sure it's completely safe if you pull off an ece that they have to shield. Then it's just rock-paper-scissors on calling if you'll continue the jab or switch it up. I forget when but I did it on luigi at one point and it was very successful.

On an off note, does anyone know the quickest way to grab ledge. I'd assume it's just a dj turnaround, but maybe down b is quicker?
It depends on where you're grabbing from. If you're offstage there's a sweetspot on the ledge where if you down-b toward it you'll instantly grab the ledge (you can be facing away initially). From the stage there are many options like dj-turnaround, turnaround wavedash, egg toss, and down-b. I have a bad habit of overusing the down-b to ledge when I'm in the air but it's definitely fast. As for the quickest method I think side-b to a dj-turnaround is the fastest if you're far from the ledge, although the timing is very precise.

didds

Smash Lord
I've never even thought about side b to the ledge into a dj turnaround, that sounds awesome. I usually attempt wavelands to make it to the ledge faster. Well I've got some messin around to do in practice mode now.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I mentioned before, sideB is an amazing tech chase. Dtilt to an immediate sideB will cover every option except for getup attack, and links to utilt, uair, usmash, nair (pretty much everything tbh). It is also yoshi's fastest way to get across the stage, so if you, for example, dsmash someone from the right side of the stage, but don't kill them and want to get into position for a rising nair edgeguard, just sideB all the way over there. I will also just throw out sideB as a straight-up approach... Not the best idea to do all the time but the risk-reward is pretty in our favor. Most times it'll either hit (hitting shield is usually safe) which equals combo, or it will clank. I sideB a lot to force a clank situation which I follow-up with either jab or ftilt, both leading into huge reward. Of course good players will know how to beat this out, but in last stock situations a rogue sideB can honestly win you the game.

EDIT: overall if you hit your opponent far enough away where none of your out of dash options will reach in time, sideB is an excellent way to keep up the pressure, and can often lead into huge reward.

side-note: Uh... Idk how I feel about sideB off the ledge to get back on stage. Maybe once and awhile, but the risk reward there is definitely NOT in our favor. Not even close. Get read = stock gone (remember there is no hitbox until you touch the ground).

Last edited:

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
I mentioned before, sideB is an amazing tech chase. Dtilt to an immediate sideB will cover every option except for getup attack, and links to utilt, uair, usmash, nair (pretty much everything tbh). It is also yoshi's fastest way to get across the stage, so if you, for example, dsmash someone from the right side of the stage, but don't kill them and want to get into position for a rising nair edgeguard, just sideB all the way over there. I will also just throw out sideB as a straight-up approach... Not the best idea to do all the time but the risk-reward is pretty in our favor. Most times it'll either hit (hitting shield is usually safe) which equals combo, or it will clank. I sideB a lot to force a clank situation which I follow-up with either jab or ftilt, both leading into huge reward. Of course good players will know how to beat this out, but in last stock situations a rogue sideB can honestly win you the game.

EDIT: overall if you hit your opponent far enough away where none of your out of dash options will reach in time, sideB is an excellent way to keep up the pressure, and can often lead into huge reward.

side-note: Uh... Idk how I feel about sideB off the ledge to get back on stage. Maybe once and awhile, but the risk reward there is definitely NOT in our favor. Not even close. Get read = stock gone (remember there is no hitbox until you touch the ground).
I agree it's something I wouldn't use often, and not if the opponent is so close to the ledge. Side-b from the ledge lands virtually instantly so the hitbox is there (since you're using it to climb over the ledge the hitbox comes out faster than it would if it was activated on the ground), and you're only losing your double jump if they read anything that comes off a let go-dj from the ledge. Otherwise it has the same strengths and drawbacks as using it as a general approach option. Side-b in general shouldn't be used when they're only a short distance away, so it's not an option when they're already close to the ledge. There are times when this applies such as directly after trades where you grab the ledge and the opponent is sent midstage somewhere. The only real danger of losing a stock from this is if the opponent is close to the ledge (wouldn't use side-b in general), or if you're at like 150% with a solid read when they shouldn't read it because, again, this isn't something to do repeatedly.

Last edited:

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
Alternatively you could do a turnaround up-smash, I think you'd like that more (note you can't c-stick a turnaround up-smash, you have to input it the normal way).
I was mistaken about this. You can c-stick a turnaround up-smash as long as you jump-cancel it. I left tap jump on so I was jump-cancelling them anyway. The input is dash->turnaround->jumpsquat->c-stick up (or charged if you like).

didds

Smash Lord
Unfortunately my only yoshi video isn't up anymore, woulda loved to have some vman analysis. Soon there will be more so don't go disappearing for months ;) @ V3ctorMan V3ctorMan You touch much P:M yoshi lately or have you still been mostly working on melee yoshi?

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Sorry i'm still around, just been doing some research and studying... :) Ummmm I'll get to watching some videos. I promise... I admit, (and it's likely due to my lack of matchup knowledge) but is anyone having trouble dealing with Sonic? ran into my first sonic today... first time ever doing the MU.... Wasn't exactly easy... Games could've gone either way, all games were last stock last hit, but I honestly felt my options were rather limited... can't catch the blue guy ><; (if I'm wrong) and I might be.... I'm willing to hear/learn what you guys may have to say :p

Scatz

Smash Champion
I have no input on that matchup since I have no Sonics in my community.

I did get a few matches recorded despite the tournament being ran stupidly. So I'll upload them whenever I get them separated from the 12 hours of recording my laptop has done lol.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Sorry but im very "unfamiliar" with character matchups knowledge, etc. It was a Sonic player named "Nazo?" First time ever playing a Sonic, and wow I was impressed. I'm unsure how he stacks up against the other Sonic's, but I imagine he's one of the best ones, (at least I hope he is, he was good >< (again my P.M. knowledge sucks) He used a nunchuk, and wiimote also, so I was like "WHOA" =D He's really good. Our games were fun and close too, but I wasn't having an easy time dealing with him, (but I suppose that's because I don't play, so I guess im the blame for that) but yeah our matches were fun. I'm glad I snuck in a win honestly. I felt overwhelmed, and I honestly don't feel like that too often... with many matchups.

Last edited:

didds

Smash Lord
It's tough to get all the MUs down, I honestly play a different "new" matchup every time I go to a fest or tourney.

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
Sorry but im very "unfamiliar" with character matchups knowledge, etc. It was a Sonic player named "Nazo?" First time ever playing a Sonic, and wow I was impressed. I'm unsure how he stacks up against the other Sonic's, but I imagine he's one of the best ones, (at least I hope he is, he was good >< (again my P.M. knowledge sucks) He used a nunchuk, and wiimote also, so I was like "WHOA" =D He's really good. Our games were fun and close too, but I wasn't having an easy time dealing with him, (but I suppose that's because I don't play, so I guess im the blame for that) but yeah our matches were fun. I'm glad I snuck in a win honestly. I felt overwhelmed, and I honestly don't feel like that too often... with many matchups.
Sanic is annoying, but you are so much stronger then him. He may be fast, but Yoshi has some great OOS options, me thinks. Perhaps an Oos nair or something could help? Otherwise, Sanic is combo food if you can get the jump on him, I feel. I haven't played too many good Sanics, though here in Socal we have a really good one.

Though my matches aren't much, perhaps watching my matches will help a bit? I wanted to get some matches on Stream in at the last Mayhem here in SoCal. Me and my doubles partner were *this* close to getting on there. But we didn't get on. I'm much better then I was then, and I'd like to get something recorded, but I have no way to.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
I'm searching for my set vs Nazo if it was recorded.... but ummm here's my set vs Axe.. :) My first time ever playing Axe in P.M. it was fun. :)
Uhh I'll leave this here...

http://www.twitch.tv/smashstudios/b/515518558 <----- match starts at 11:30, I don't know how to do timestamps.. so sorry I suck. :(

EDIT: and anything helps deviljho, again.. it was my first time playing Sonic, and I've asked around, and apparently Nazo, is one of best Sonics.. so I feel better, but I STILL wanna see if I can get a good enough grasp on that matchup..

Last edited:

Limbo

Smash Rookie
Love your stuff vman! I think you should try using side-b to recover on those sticky situations where you lose your jump.. (you're already doing this most of the time tho). On your last stock vs Axe you could have made it back by closing that small gap from the edge with side b, as well as stock 3 in PK2. It works really well on closing those gaps.

Thanks for posting the vods!

Last edited:

Scatz

Smash Champion

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
"Off topic" I'm following this but i haven't gotten a email notification...and i made the freaking topic.

"On Topic"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdSxhVezEwI (17:39)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_L3ACuR9sg (0:00 - 3:50) (Continuation of Previous Match)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APcWRCZa66A (10:49 - 21:27)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8jZB1iSqew (19:45 - 23:54)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oesLjNzoEwc (The Entire Video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMHHPFXOZh4 (00:00 - 00:46) (Conclusion of the last match on previous video)

I know some of my Problems is not Jumping out of shield (Blame it on melee for that one)

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
My jank Yoshi. Have fun tearing him apart.

VS DP's Samus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeFVWkYtTvk&index=4&list=PLmOE4XgHqBjomKp3fiDSJ3bfM2m71Bkyi#t=16m44s

VS Fraggle's Marth (first two matches)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_BKvsxNW9g&list=PLmOE4XgHqBjomKp3fiDSJ3bfM2m71Bkyi

VS Fatality's Shiek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcOdb23cVh4&list=PLmOE4XgHqBjomKp3fiDSJ3bfM2m71Bkyi#t=8m33s

BTW, I hate YS. It's way too small of a stage compared to the melee counterpart. >_<
I like the sets. After watching the match instead of playing one. i didn't realize Yoshi has a dash dance...so to speak. If possible since the Hip Drop got upgraded in damage i would say to try to sweet spot it more with egg setups. (Although i know it's much harder to connect the egg in PM then it is in brawl)

Also for the YS thing i always thought Melee was smaller

Pickledpotatoes

Smash Journeyman
My jank Yoshi. Have fun tearing him apart.

VS DP's Samus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeFVWkYtTvk&index=4&list=PLmOE4XgHqBjomKp3fiDSJ3bfM2m71Bkyi#t=16m44s

VS Fraggle's Marth (first two matches)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_BKvsxNW9g&list=PLmOE4XgHqBjomKp3fiDSJ3bfM2m71Bkyi

VS Fatality's Shiek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcOdb23cVh4&list=PLmOE4XgHqBjomKp3fiDSJ3bfM2m71Bkyi#t=8m33s
O
BTW, I hate YS. It's way too small of a stage compared to the melee counterpart. >_<
The one thing I feel you should work on is recovering. It's 2014, you can't just flutter jump on to the stage and hope Marth doesn't tipper fsmash you, and if he does, hope your armor saves you. Mix it up with egg roll to safely get on stage with it's quick change in mobility, or Yoshi Bomb to grab on to the ledge. You can also do some b reverse jazz with egg lay. Yoshi has great mixups with his recovery, use it wisely and you'll live a lot longer. :upsidedown:

Scatz

Smash Champion
It's smaller in PM cause Yoshi is able to down B from the bottom of the stage to the top platform. Most of the characters can Usmash (heck even utilt) through the lower platforms, and the overall width of the stage is smaller.

Edit: Yeah, that's the Brawl recovery that I need to get rid of. I'm aware of the options, but my muscles are still thinking in Brawl terms.

Last edited:

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
The one thing I feel you should work on is recovering. It's 2014, you can't just flutter jump on to the stage and hope Marth doesn't tipper fsmash you, and if he does, hope your armor saves you. Mix it up with egg roll to safely get on stage with it's quick change in mobility, or Yoshi Bomb to grab on to the ledge. You can also do some b reverse jazz with egg lay. Yoshi has great mixups with his recovery, use it wisely and you'll live a lot longer. :upsidedown:
I agree the Egg Roll is a huge life savor and it's so easy to cancel it.

Limbo

Smash Rookie
http://www.twitch.tv/liquidken/b/515143510?t=35m47s here are some matches I did with LiquidKen last week. There are more matches in there but i think these were my best. We were both pretty laggy so the games were pretty silly to say the least.
I'm still pretty new to the competitive scene (I only have about 3 months experience so far) so I'm hoping to improve this a lot. Hope you guys like it!

Last edited:

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANp82oUW-H4 Heya Yoshi players, here's a match from a weekly tournament we run at our college. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me? I've only been playing competitively for a little more than half of a year, so any help would mean a lot to me.
Welcome to the competitive scene!

From what I notice, you hardly used your fair and bair. I use those two more then Uair, which you used quite a bit of, as well as nair. Do not get me wrong, you used them well, but explore other options that can be used with those moves. Dthrow->fair/downSpecial/nair works where dthrow ->uair won't. I personally like dthrow->fair->whatever I can get after that. Bair is good for linking combos from air to ground. Bair->ftilt/utilt works from what I've seen. Egg roll is a good move to get combos in, but be careful using it. It's easily punished. Egg roll -> utilt/ftilt ->utilt/dashattack works quite fine. I've managed to get 4 utilts off of opponants who don't DI that right. You used quite a bit of down special to get back to the ground. I'd advise against that, it puts you in a punishable state. Hope that helps ya out! :) ~Deviljho

I need to find a way to record me playing... :(

norris3942

Smash Rookie
Welcome to the competitive scene!

From what I notice, you hardly used your fair and bair. I use those two more then Uair, which you used quite a bit of, as well as nair. Do not get me wrong, you used them well, but explore other options that can be used with those moves. Dthrow->fair/downSpecial/nair works where dthrow ->uair won't. I personally like dthrow->fair->whatever I can get after that. Bair is good for linking combos from air to ground. Bair->ftilt/utilt works from what I've seen. Egg roll is a good move to get combos in, but be careful using it. It's easily punished. Egg roll -> utilt/ftilt ->utilt/dashattack works quite fine. I've managed to get 4 utilts off of opponants who don't DI that right. You used quite a bit of down special to get back to the ground. I'd advise against that, it puts you in a punishable state. Hope that helps ya out! :) ~Deviljho

I need to find a way to record me playing... :(
Thanks for the analysis!

I'll try using Bair and Fair more often, but I never feel safe using Fair since I usually wiff it whenever I try to use it, I'll try to find safer ways to approach with it or use it in combos or something though. Also thanks for telling me about Dthrow->Down-B. I usually only use down special after a grounded Dair since the hitstun for it lasts so long, but I never thought about using it after Dthrow so I'll definitely experiment a lot with that! I have a really bad habit of trying to Up-Smash out of Egg Roll, so I'll for sure experiment with the Egg Roll exits you mentioned too

Again thanks for the analysis, I'll try to keep everything you said in mind the next time I play. :3

Top Bottom