• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuraiHell

Smash Apprentice
I usually fake an aerial on the shield, z drop the bomb, go past them and fsmash at their back twice. Eats the shield quite nicely.
Ooooh that sounds cool. I can't believe I didn't think of that. I'll have to try it. I used to do FF bair behind them for the first kick first kick - Fsmash twice. Similar to that in a way but not nearly as cool.

I'll definitely be trying that.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Bowser can play really really safely actually. He's got great pokes and that get-out-of-pressure-free up-B.
What are these pokes?

From what BadGuy has told me so far Bowser relies heavily on outsmarting the opponent to get in. Can't say I have good expectations because that's kind of what made Bowser low tier in both smash games he was in. I admit I am a bit pessimistic though, can't wait to play him.

Revven

FrankerZ
What are these pokes?

From what BadGuy has told me so far Bowser relies heavily on outsmarting the opponent to get in. Can't say I have good expectations because that's kind of what made Bowser low tier in both smash games he was in. I admit I am a bit pessimistic though, can't wait to play him.
Honestly, Bowser is a good character right now. It might not seem that way in some videos or the way BadGuy explains how he personally plays him. But, rest assured, he is really much better than he has been in the past. You really have to give him a chance, even I was skeptical of how "good" he would be with what was done to him. Suffice to say, you'll be surprised really when you get the chance to play him. All of the team is really confident in how Bowser was changed.

The recent vids I put up I played terribly so they're not really worth referencing. I just put them up because they're entertaining and videos have been really dry for the past two months. Speaking of, I'll be uploading more tomorrow as well.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Flayl have you seen cmart's Bowser in my youtube videos or streams? He plays with a safer style than BadGuy. Just another way you can play Bowser and be successful.

Whoops, actually I just checked and there are no really recent videos of cmart's Bowser. Weird with the crapload of videos I've been putting up the last month or so. I'll try to get some soon. There should be some stuff on my recent recorded streams though.

<3<3<3 Kage! Next time I'm using ROB though so watch out! No mercy.

BadGuy

Smash Journeyman
What are these pokes?

Bowser's tank attacks allow him to just plow right through your opponent's. Outsmarting/applying pressure is just what i like to do. Good pokes for bowser are, his jabs, ftilt, dtilt, firebreath, grounded up b, and his ledge attack.

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
Same. I do stupid stuff sometimes and later I'm like "why did you do that?..."

I like playing aggressive though. It depends on the stage and who I'm facing really. Some stages I feel more comfortable using more projectiles and some like PS2 I end up playing too much offense.
I'll have to learn to do a quick switch from forcing approaches to mercilessly pounding them into the ground(assuming I can even do that.)

I usually forget Zair exists. It's amazing how 6 (or was it 4? I think it was from 6 to 10) frames of extra endlag can make me stop using a move. I have trouble following up with it because of the 10 frames. Also in vBrawl I usually SH - AD - Zair. Can't do that with melee air dodge so that sort of deters me from using it.
Z drop - aerial? That's a cool one. I like using it but I have to focus too much on doing it and I end up spacing the aerial terribly and getting wasted unfortunately. It's not even that hard to do so idk why. I'll make a point of using it more consistently so I become more comfortable with it and don't space poorly. Same with Zair.

Thanks for the advice.
You think you're offensive? I was gonna say you're rather defensive, or maybe it's just me but this is how I play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ7MWbk8f44

I didn't edge guard because, well at that point my friend was getting pissed off and I was just kind of messing with him so I just threw rangs and bombs really

Zair is probably Link's worst move, it's useless, the ending lag makes it too punishable.

It's fun to jump, Z-drop a bomb, do an aerial catching the bomb, and L cancel, but to be honest, you might as well just do the aerial without the bomb because the only immediate action you have is to throw it, and if your opponent is even remotely close to you, you'll get hit too.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
What are these pokes?

If you want to know specifics...

F-tilt is an amazing poke (it out ranges all of Marth's moves for example), side B is also decent with it's range, super armor, and damage (and thus shieldstun if the grab part isn't what gets them).

Firebreath has respectable range and with flame canceling you can do some neat fakeouts (you look like you're going to space fairs but instead you just firebreath <_<).

I personally find Bowser lacking in the "approaching a neutral opponent" department, but that kinda makes sense because he's supposed to be a kind of defensive character. He has more tools to deal with the opponent's approaches which is where I think his onstage game shines. That and he can also "appoach" with these defensive moves if he's expecting the opponent to just try to blindly attack him if he looks like he might be getting close enough to attack you <_< (which is the primary strategy for beating melee bowser <_<). Super armor and crouch armor are great.

Of course I don't really play bowser for more than just friendlies so take that with a grain of Salt (not the f-tilt comment though. That move is godlike)

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Zair is probably Link's worst move, it's useless, the ending lag makes it too punishable.
It's only 10 frames of lag, it's not that bad really. I guess for a more aggressive player, zair is useless, but I find it's uses. I use it maybe 3-5 times a match? It's not spammable like in Brawl. Though, you're probably right about zair being his worst move. All his other moves are pretty good though :awesome:

BuraiHell

Smash Apprentice
You think you're offensive? I was gonna say you're rather defensive, or maybe it's just me but this is how I play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ7MWbk8f44

I didn't edge guard because, well at that point my friend was getting pissed off and I was just kind of messing with him so I just threw rangs and bombs really

It's fun to jump, Z-drop a bomb, do an aerial catching the bomb, and L cancel, but to be honest, you might as well just do the aerial without the bomb because the only immediate action you have is to throw it, and if your opponent is even remotely close to you, you'll get hit too.
Haha that chaingrab is cool. I figured that'd work against FFers but I never had a chance to try it unfortunately. I wish I could make use of his grab as well as you <_> I'll work on that.
I actually like to think I play adaptive/mixed.. with a little more offense than defense.
Good point with ZAC. It's pretty amusing to throw your opponent off with it though. But it'll stop being intimidating once you're using it every 10 seconds I guess.
Zair has uses I think. Just vastly more limited than vBrawl. It's his longest range aerial and it's fast-ish. If you land it at the tip your opponent isn't going to be able to punish. My issue is the lack of follow ups. Basically it's just useful to keep the opponent away.. and Link has like.. every other move to do that. Lol. Also since opponents in a Melee setting are often Foxes that are all over the place or Falcos that are shoving lasers down your throat, landing Zair at the tip seems a little less reasonable. Against bigger targets it could prove mildly useful though.

But this is a good thing. They broke vBrawl Link's dependence on that move. HE'S GOT NAIR NOW!

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Besides my brother, standardtoaster, and possibly my dad albeit he is not that great, I don't have a lot of people to play. I don't have any notable players around me besides YoshQ but he is usually going to tourneys so I can't invite him over and I am working all the time but I have a few hours a day to play at night. So it makes it hard to invite people over and play.

I'm just glad I have ST to play. lol

MaxThunder

PM Support
^^Wah i'm jealous... my brother grew out of smash about when melee broke... and i don't live near anyone... at all... ok there's a few ******* and some old people... and all those who recently moved into cottages converted into houses... but no smashers...

... but i'll get some people to come over this weekend=)... now if only Judofyr would answer...

And why do i suddenly wanna play Falco?... i've never liked him(apart from in brawl where i played him onlyto abuse teh chaingrab...) , but now he's suddenly kinda fun to play...

SHOTTYGURU

Smash Apprentice
dude it most be amazing to at least have one person to play seriously.Like im gettin so bored practicing and what not by myself im going to go back to vbrawl LMAO!! no sorry that will never happen and Monkunit knows my pain. :glare:

cmart

Smash Lord
Bowser can approach just fine. I could sit down and make a laundry list of moves and tactics, but the reality is that you can make it up as you go along and react to whatever the situation needs. Your options are that diverse.

Also, JC I noticed the lack of Bowser vids from Zenith, even though I did play him in a number of good matches. I guess I managed to miss all the recording opportunities lol

curry9186

Smash Journeyman
I took the demo over to a friends house yesterday to see what my buddies thought of it. One of my friends is an avid Lucas fan, and though he's aware of the smash metagame, he doesn't have much experience. He said he absolutely loved the demo's Lucas and that he was going to pick up his own Wii and game just to play it some more.

My second friend likes brawl and melee equally and he said that he seriously enjoyed playing the demo. He's not a huge fan of smashmods, but he said he'd definitely be interested in seeing where this goes.

The last guy is a hardcore brawl player. Apparently he had some friends who were adept melee players and they out-techskilled him so hard all the time that he just hates melee now. Nothing but complaints from him but you can't win them all.

I'm trying to spread the demo news more in my area but it's difficult to find people who play the game around here.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
So I did play JCaesar in a 5$ MM and ya Project:M was very easy to adapt to, I'd play it if there were big tournaments around.
It says you're from Montreal Quebec. I live around Montreal. If you need a Project M sparring partner, there's me. Also, if I manage to get in the backroom after I show my PSA work, maybe you'll get a chance to play full build, no promise though, but a man can dream.

Speaking of which, I'm going to my best friend's place Friday, and I'll used his SD slot to test what I did.

iLink

Smash Champion
I've been wondering, is Link's zair hitbox smaller or something from vbrawl's? I seem to miss with it a whole lot when I think it will hit.

Alopex

Smash Ace
Not sure I understand the :troll: post...
It's Brawl WiFi, lag will be terrible no matter where you are.

I've been in Brisbane for over a year now and was in Montreal before and... yeah, the scene here is just nowhere near the same...

metroid1117

Smash Master
Besides my brother, standardtoaster, and possibly my dad albeit he is not that great, I don't have a lot of people to play. I don't have any notable players around me besides YoshQ but he is usually going to tourneys so I can't invite him over and I am working all the time but I have a few hours a day to play at night. So it makes it hard to invite people over and play.

I'm just glad I have ST to play. lol
Not to sound like a stalker, but do you live in Wisconsin? I thought Quaz and YoshQ are from there, does Quaz not live close to you?

SHOTTYGURU

Smash Apprentice
I hope Kage applies for the PMBR. Or that vigilante gets accepted. I would love to see more of Kage's pm ganon.:)

:phone:
yea i put in an app also but im guessin i dont have the credentials but yea if vigilante gets in that would be sweet he seems like he will do good things for the pmbr :bee:

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Man there sure are a lot of pendings on that application page...on the subject of friends to play with....yeah pretty much every party I ever throw over at my place ends in us playing pm, usually with all of us quite intoxicated :awesome:.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Applications take time to discuss and vote on. We actually put effort into these decisions, ya know. :alakadoof:

slimpyman

Smash Journeyman
JC is talking mad stuff!!! haha not only saying how sneak always says "get better", jc is gonna MM sneak without rob... lol no offense, but seeing how JC is playing, i put a few copper pennies on JC. "get better" lol

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Not to sound like a stalker, but do you live in Wisconsin? I thought Quaz and YoshQ are from there, does Quaz not live close to you?
I live in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. YoshQ lives in Eau Claire as well but I'm unsure on where Quaz lives.

If you were thinking of trying to play the full build of pm at my house or something, my mother is very strict on people coming over that she doesn't know. She is very overprotective and stuff and doesn't like people that are 20 or something coming over to play smash with st and I. Lol. She only has that age restriction due to st and I being 15.

Also, I might have been able to go to ecss4 but the venue shut down. I was going to bring PM there! :c

Also, starting next Wednesday, st and I are out of town for two weeks, so we probably won't be streaming.

:phone:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom