• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
Okay, normally I would post the recorded stream, but it seems that livestream didn't save it this time even though I told it to. :/ I'll probably start using justin.tv so that it saves them automatically.

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
Quick question for the dev team. when the game is released are you guys going to be doing like minor patches? for example if Stage/Tether collisions were to be somehow made would you guys implement a patch after the release? just wondering.

Also I had an Idea for Ike I know you guys have managed to do something similar with Koopa (Bowser) but would you guys be willing to implement like a able to jump cancel aether for Ike can get better air follow ups? Or is this not possible with his aether (^B). If not I completely understand.

Another question I had is can you guys possibly give something different for Falco/fox. I realize that this is supposed to be Melee 2.0 and I know the meta games are different but the aesthetics of fox and falco look way too similar in the demo at least. I like the Nuetral Air you gave him and the Foward air feels better but maybe revert his Utlit or Fsmash back to brawls utilt or Fsmash with melee physics. Or does it look weird just wondering and thats why you reverted them back to the way that they were in Melee.

I realise Aesthetics are the last thing on the project but was just wondering.

Also Dant you are a better than a wizard you are a fing Warlock :) So sweet being able to add more songs it looks like.

Shanus and guys keep up the great work.

Rikana

Smash Champion
Your not only limited to waveland. Why must you always think ledge jump waveland is the only option?

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Those are just .brsar edits and a texture. You can do that with your own Project M Demo if you'd like, but as far as I know, we will not edit Sonic's voice or add in a snake texture. Only textures that might be added are just team color edits.
Well I thought with all the effort put into the menus and the front screen and other superficial things things to make it aesthetically like Melee would also be a priority.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Hey guys, been a while.

So I'm using the hackless method on a japanese wii, and sometimes the game just crashes on vbrawl.
Emissary is a definite crash though. Sometimes it crashes on the vs screen. Ideas?

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
I like the game. Downloaded it on Sunday and I have been testing it ever since.
My only concern right now is that Lucas has the potential to be... to good. He can kill way to early with his charged B. I love that you made his PK Fire PK Freeze, but I am still concerned about about his standard B. I think you should change it back to a normal EarthBound B. Maybe make it PK Fire (use the very large Dins explosion as the attack).

Just my two sense.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Well I thought with all the effort put into the menus and the front screen and other superficial things things to make it aesthetically like Melee would also be a priority.
The menus aren't all that aesthetically similar to Melee. I think there's your answer.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
I like the game. Downloaded it on Sunday and I have been testing it ever since.
My only concern right now is that Lucas has the potential to be... to good. He can kill way to early with his charged B. I love that you made his PK Fire PK Freeze, but I am still concerned about about his standard B. I think you should change it back to a normal EarthBound B. Maybe make it PK Fire (use the very large Dins explosion as the attack).

Just my two sense.
Eh... I don't see it being much different than DK's punch honestly. He gets 3 different ways to use it, but most of his smashes are a little laggy too and he can't hold his charge partway.

In the grand scheme of things, I don't think it's really what makes him good compared to say, Melee Ness. There's a lot of positives to PM Lucas otherwise.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
The menus aren't all that aesthetically similar to Melee. I think there's your answer.
I thought the color scheme was kinda similar and it seems that the installer even went as far as to give me a background for Gecko. But whatever, I'll drop it. Good work fellas!

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
so, you kill yourself if you mess up?
Not really. The only repercussion from screwing it up is, well, screwing it up, IE putting yourself in an unwanted position. But I can't see a way to SD.

As Crispy said, it's not too similar to Melee. I think that was mostly just done to make this more recognizable as a different game than vBrawl. And if you want, there are both a PS styled and high-res MGS1 Snake on BrawlVault.

Any tips for using Sonic?
leelue hit the highlights, but something I'd like to add: CP WarioWare. I swear that stage is almost made for Sonic.

I also suggest you look into some vBrawl techniques, such as stutter step, fair momentum, grinding (just looks cool), and all the intricacies of Side/Down-B.

Lastly, as far as I can tell, a normal Side-B is usually better for recovery than a Spinshot. However, Spinshot is otherwise fancy.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Not really. The only repercussion from screwing it up is, well, screwing it up, IE putting yourself in an unwanted position. But I can't see a way to SD.

As Crispy said, it's not too similar to Melee. I think that was mostly just done to make this more recognizable as a different game than vBrawl. And if you want, there are both a PS styled and high-res MGS1 Snake on BrawlVault.

leelue hit the highlights, but something I'd like to add: CP WarioWare. I swear that stage is almost made for Sonic.

I also suggest you look into some vBrawl techniques, such as stutter step, fair momentum, grinding (just looks cool), and all the intricacies of Side/Down-B.

Lastly, as far as I can tell, a normal Side-B is usually better for recovery than a Spinshot. However, Spinshot is otherwise fancy.
Thank you!

moleman915

Smash Apprentice
As far as all the talk about asthetics and the menus, I just have a random question. Why can't the shape and layout of the buttons be changed? Also, are the menus finalized, or is there still room for improvement?

BTW: Keep them blog post comin shanus!!!

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
The shape can be changed. We just don't have anyone working on it yet.

As far as layout, I think if you move them too far out of place (E.G. switching icon positions around so they're in horizontal order), we'd need someone to make a code that changes the controller inputs to switch between the icons.

moleman915

Smash Apprentice
Oh, I see. I always heard nothing could really be done with the menu, but I guess new discoveries are being made everyday. Obviously I dont think changing the menu is on top priority, but I definitly think changing it up will give a new feel to the game. Youd be surpised how a different UI can make people feel like they are playing a completely different game. (i.e. forgetting about the pain of vBrawl)

leelue

Smash Lord
@ saviors legacy
the bat has little range, and all three have enough startup time for them to be unwieldy. dsmash is a great edgeguard oftentimes and there may be a way to combo into usmash, but it certainly isn't overpowering. Block/mindgame more.

I'm not 100% on Warioware for sonic, since the deathzones are too close to utilize his stellar recovery. On the bright side, it makes gimps all the easier...

@moleman
if I think of a combination, I'll let you know. If you find yourself messing around with random designs, let me know

moleman915

Smash Apprentice
Alright, just let me know, shoot me a PM or something. But Im gonna be camping in a forrest thursday through saturday, so I wont be able to do it those days.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
As far as all the talk about asthetics and the menus, I just have a random question. Why can't the shape and layout of the buttons be changed? Also, are the menus finalized, or is there still room for improvement?
Menu was mostly done by me, and is definitely going to be improved at some point.

moleman915

Smash Apprentice
Well If you want any help with designs or anything, just let me know. Im pretty descent with photoshop.

And Grim, I would love you to. You just have to endure the hike.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
It's not so much the Photoshop work that's difficult, it's the actual hacking of the buttons and text and everything else.

Fun fact: There's probably 300 different images I had to replace to get the menu in the state that it currently is.

moleman915

Smash Apprentice
Wow, well good luck with whenever you try more with the menu, I cant wait to see progress on it.

moleman915

Smash Apprentice
They look alright, but I'm hoping for something completely redone. The brawl menus just dont seem sharp at all to me. It seems rounded and childish.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
They look alright, but I'm hoping for something completely redone. The brawl menus just dont seem sharp at all to me. It seems rounded and childish.
Maybe you didn't notice but the Smash series is about taking your Jigglypuff up against your friend's Peach and seeing who can kill each other with Pokeballs and anime hammers the most in 2 minutes.

The Brawl menus are extremely polished and professional and every time a fan messes with the menus it looks terriawful. Please just leave them alone.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I love how people are wanting the menus changed back. Seriously, Brawl menus are the best thing about the game. Bash whatever you want, but the layout is clean and nice to look at.

Though I wouldn't mind if you guys could change the tournament mode button to go to My Music. Though this is more something for the codes Q&A.

Ecks

Smash Lord
I don't see any problems with the default menu at all. The white can get a bit annoying on the eyes depending on your tv settings and the brightness of the room but other than that, it's all good. It literally is the best thing Brawl has.

The P:M one is more confortable to look at though.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Actually, psychology research shows the dark fonts on light backgrounds are the worst kinds of layout for your eyes. At least when doing powerpoints, they tell us that at some point, the strain on the eyes might make some just stop looking. So it's best to have dark backgrounds for this purpose. E.G., for Powerpoints, using dark blue backgrounds and light golden font works great to retain attention. So for extended viewing, darker fonts put less strain on your eyes. I prefer the PM background.

jalued

Smash Lord
Actually, psychology research shows the dark fonts on light backgrounds are the worst kinds of layout for you eyes. At least when doing powerpoints, they tell us that at some point, the strain on the eyes might make some just stop looking. Some it's best to have dark backgrounds for this purpose. E.G., for Powerpoints, using dark blue backgrounds and light golden font works great to retain attention. So for extended viewing, darker fonts put less strain on your eyes. I prefer the PM background.
yeah, i always find its painful for my eyes after a while

PM: supported by psychology

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Maybe you didn't notice but the Smash series is about taking your Jigglypuff up against your friend's Peach and seeing who can kill each other with Pokeballs and anime hammers the most in 2 minutes.

The Brawl menus are extremely polished and professional and every time a fan messes with the menus it looks terriawful. Please just leave them alone.
You don't /have/ to use the menu changes. Just don't use the menu file.

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace

Haven't you realized how Melee's and even 64's menu looks more mature with their schemes and darker colors? Less like a cartoon and more like a game that can be taken seriously by people that want to.

A good looking menu is essential to transmit the game's feeling, brawl menu did it well for the game obvious proposition, it's beautiful, colorful, with roundy buttons and good looking. However it doesn't fit the PM scenario IMO.

Anyway, people can use the menu they like most after all, and it's not a priority I believe, good luck to Shadic with the future menu improvements.

shanus

Smash Hero
I figure since the demo has been out for a while, we can show you what we had "dreamed" the menu would look like. However, vertexing the button shapes didn't seem to work, nor did total transparency, so it never panned out:

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Personally, I feel Brawl's menu feels midway between iPod menu and kid's toy.

And Shanus, that is pretty cool.

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
I honestly don't think the menu is that bad, nor do I think that it makes the game better or worse. Personally I just use custom menus because I found looking at the vBrawl menu boring; it's probably one of the most dull game menus I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom