• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkshooter

Smash Ace
About the HTP vid...

I remember that Melee had a vid featuring its characters. It was one vid featuring the starting cast and it spent a good 20 seconds on each of them. In the spirit of this and the HTP vid... is there possibly a way to load multiple HTP vids? Imagine if there was a menu option under vids where you could watch a short little HTP for each character. If this isn't really possible... there's always the possibility of putting your character "HTP" under replays and have to go without subtitled instructions. If however, you could do character specific HTP vids, it would also be cool to be able to chose which one played on screen when the start menu went idle. Again, this is all pretty out there as far as I know and assume, but I'm just throwing out these ideas in the event they are workable.
Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HAZ6Db2XHo

Ulevo

Smash Master
iirc, 64 / Melee were not supposed to get competitive. He has stated there is no "advanced play" and any of such is from glitches or exploits. Though honestly you have a completely perfect point, maybe you should email Nintendo and tell them.
Actually, Sakurai had tutorial sections on his websites that taught you these so called "glitches". One to note in particular was an article called Landing with Style I believe, and described how to properly L Cancel.

Wave dashing was merely explained as an expected reaction from a combination of mechanics, and that it's use in the game on a competitive level wasn't recognized. It wasn't a glitch.

To be honest, there are almost no real glitches that are used in competitive play. It's all mostly part of the product.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
What Sakurai doesn't understand is that that isn't true. Melee can be played casually JUST as easily as Brawl. Casual players don't care what's under the hood as long as it's fun. But for a game to be fun for casuals and deeply competitive for hardcore gamers at the same time is an incredible accomplishment, but unfortunately Sakurai isn't willing to try it again.

And Brawl massively outsold Melee because the Wii massively outsold the Gamecube. That's all. Does Brawl command the same market share of Wii owners that Melee does of Gamecube owners? Not even close. A lot of the hype surrounding Brawl before it's release existed solely because of the reputation the Smash series built due to how great Melee was.

Ok I think we're veering off topic so I'm gonna stop now.
case in point: mashers are going to mash regardless of what game it is; cater a fighting game to the competitive community and you'll be successful.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
in the end, when making a fighting game, design it with the idea of an audience behind the players. design it like a sport.

i may have tons of fun playing some football with friends, but if i can't watch a game and get pumped it's not going to stack up.

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
Actually, Sakurai had tutorial sections on his websites that taught you these so called "glitches". One to note in particular was an article called Landing with Style I believe, and described how to properly L Cancel.

Wave dashing was merely explained as an expected reaction from a combination of mechanics, and that it's use in the game on a competitive level wasn't recognized. It wasn't a glitch.

To be honest, there are almost no real glitches that are used in competitive play. It's all mostly part of the product.
iirc there's a section on the japanese melee website, which is still acessible, that proably explained DI.

I couldn't really understand the text, but there's two screenshot of Falcon Fsmashing Kirby, one which Kirby flies in the normal trajectory and the other that Kirby is sent flying in a much more near to vertical trajectory.

D

Deleted member

You guys should hold a competition for official PM intro video once PM goes into released beta.

Personally, I'd start it off with a rustic looking countdown from early movies in the 20's and show a few combos of SSB64 in black and white with poor cinema quality. Then, move into 2-4 combos for Melee and 2-4 combos for Brawl in color. From there I'd only include PM gameplay, increase the tempo of the music, and show character specific cutscenes that are cool.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Virtua Fighter says what's up. It's probably the "best" overall fighter and the one of the least popular.
popularity is affected by a large number of factors; i was speaking specifically on the issue of designing a game for competitive players or for casual players.
You guys should hold a competition for official PM intro video once PM goes into released beta.

Personally, I'd start it off with a rustic looking countdown from early movies in the 20's and show a few combos of SSB64 in black and white with poor cinema quality. Then, move into 2-4 combos for Melee and 2-4 combos for Brawl in color. From there I'd only include PM gameplay, increase the tempo of the music, and show character specific cutscenes that are cool.
something's wrong here.....

D

Deleted member

Eh, if you want to see a more dramatic evolution of smash gameplay from SSB64 to PM, it won't be so wrong.

There's some cool strings and combos in Brawl though. Not on the level of Melee, but regardless its an example of how the game is played.

Brawl combos... :awesome:

Brian_Link

Smash Cadet
If you're looking for the evolution of combos... Melee should have the last spot before the Project:M footage. If you go solely on graphics... then yeah 64,Melee,Brawl,PM.

Personally I would be content with either 64 -> Melee -> PM, or just vBrawl -> PM

Ulevo

Smash Master
2-4 combos for Brawl in color.

combos for Brawl

COMBOS FOR BRAWL

WAT.

On another note. Is anyone working on King Dedede at the moment?

Kati

Smash Lord
Is the code to map toadstool jumping to another button private or public?

Also, I'm wondering why Marth's neutral special was changed from the stab to the arching slash.

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
Is the code to map toadstool jumping to another button private or public?

Also, I'm wondering why Marth's neutral special was changed from the stab to the arching slash.
I hate when people say toadstool.

Anyway, i'm assuming it was changed back because the melee one was overall more useful

orrrr because they said they're returning melee top tiers to how they were.
Or a combination of both.

Rikana

Smash Champion

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
It's probably related to 5ive, and is not only an outdated set, but an outdated set being played really, really poorly. The PMBR would prefer giving this Ken guy as little attention as possible, thanks. ;)

shanus

Smash Hero
\ I wish people would respect the work we've done and wait till we released a build. If you have a leaked copy, whatever, but keep it to yourself.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
People permanently banned from all future Project M tournaments where I have any influence, including Pound and Apex:
5ive
Ken34

Don't make this list longer. Don't participate in a leak.

shanus

Smash Hero
well we've been planning something.............. hence why ive made some references :p

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
Asked this question a few pages back, didn't get answered.

I'm sure you guys are working on other things, but how is the clone engine coming along?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
shanus has the nuclear missile launch codes (wikileaks posted them a few days ago)

I wouldn't mess with him, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom