• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rikana

Smash Champion
I didn't really like your video either, Darkshooter. Its nothing personal. I'm just a guy who thinks presentations should be near flawless, aesthetically at least. And by intro videos, do you guys mean replacing the into cinematic in Brawl or an into video just on youtube for PM? I don't think an intro video in both means is needed at all.

A demonstration video, however, is always good; showing off the unique features of each character that is new to the melee environment and anything new (technique wise) for the veteran characters.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Seriously... Wolf is begging for a crawl.
He's literally down on his knees... xD.

MK crawling... what use would that be? MK has the worst crouch ever lol. You could make the argument that he "crawls" really really slow via dtilt. Same with Sonic, but his "crawl" is a bit faster.
*CoughCoughIFMKcancrawlGrayFoxcanCoughCough*

Wolf does look like he SHOULD crawl though. Without it, he looks like he's on the toilet like in Wolf's ******** Mission.

Darkshooter

Smash Ace
I didn't really like your video either, Darkshooter. Its nothing personal. I'm just a guy who thinks presentations should be near flawless, aesthetically at least. And by intro videos, do you guys mean replacing the into cinematic in Brawl or an into video just on youtube for PM? I don't think an intro video in both means is needed at all.
Its ok. The least you can do is try, after all.

Ulevo

Smash Master
And by intro videos, do you guys mean replacing the into cinematic in Brawl or an into video just on youtube for PM?
Replacing the cinematic in Brawl during the opening. And the How-To-Play video would be replaced by a custom made How-To-Play Project: M video as well.

By the way, regardless if Wolf could use a crawl or not, a new run animation would do him great justice. The only other character in vBrawl aside from Ganondorf that had a dwarfed, unbefitting run was Wolf.

Starscream

Smash Ace
Anyone else think that adding the little spark when you fast fall from Smash 64 in PM would be cool? I always though it was weird how there was no visual cue for fast falling in Melee (besides falling faster of course).

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Actually, I never thought about that spark. I suppose it would be pretty cool to have in given how simple it would be to add too.

.Guu~

Smash Cadet
Anyone else think that adding the little spark when you fast fall from Smash 64 in PM would be cool? I always though it was weird how there was no visual cue for fast falling in Melee (besides falling faster of course).
inb4peoplesayitmakesthegametooeasy

I think it COULD be a nice touch, and is honestly not out of the realm of possibility(like, I'm not speaking development wise here, I just meant ideas.) considering they put a little flash when you L cancel. However, I'm sure people will moan about how it makes the game "easier" or "less tactical" considering how people debated over the whole little thing that shows you when you double jump.

Of course there are negatives to it, like it shows your opponent that you fast fell, and in situations where you're trying to make recovery tricky to get back on stage so they can't ledge guard you, it would be a REALLY easy way for them to read you as they might not notice the fast fall without that visual cue.

I'd be for testing of it if it could be implemented.

.Guu~

Smash Cadet
How is a visual cue for fast falling supposed to make it easier to fast fall?
Some do consider it an "advanced technique" and a visual cue would decrease the learning curve, I guess.

It's not like having that little notification saying you jumped made it easier to, well, jump.

Like I said, I'm not *****ing about it, but plenty of people would. SSB is my primary smash, so I would enjoy this inclusion very much so.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
How is a visual cue for fast falling supposed to make it easier to fast fall?
Lol, it makes it easier to see that it's been done. I mean if you're unsure if you're fast falling for whatever silly reason I guess it could help you... but I believe he means that the spark makes it easier for your opponent to see that you initiated a fast fall and perhaps act accordingly.

The King Of Hearts

Smash Journeyman
^Actually I dont feel bad about the intro. Not at all. Its a start
Its a try bro and I know you just started but it feels mashed up. Its an intro so you need simplicity and zen to it.

Maybe a fusion of this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkK6cIu9qVA
and the kanto video, but still showing an organic theme of a fusion of all 3 games.

To start off with something easy-then the characters. then very little (but amazing) combo footage representing each game- some lols/ Then japanese screen of :alakadoof:.. I mean the Japanese ver of either one of the title screens till they come up with one themselves.
ETA time of video should be a minuet.

Everyone can add to this if they like, but ill be messing with what ever video manipulator thingy just to get this out of my mind X(

It's started already. People are bickering due to the building tension and impatience for waiting for Project: M.

Bickering confirmed for Project M.
Bicker Bicker my overies are in knots... bicker bicker its cold....

And Peach crawling...
Ha, she'd be tripping on her dress... same reason Zelda would be a bad crawler... and do you really think those princesses would be caught crawling? (rhetorical question children :p)
... I want my peach and zelda to crawl.... for many reason... not just to be ******** and texture blood on them and think horror movie...

I also want devilman to crawl too...

*CoughCoughIFMKcancrawlGrayFoxcanCoughCough*

..... :alakadoof:....:alakadoof: I deceiver... MK can crawl peach can is co conan...

Also on fast falling.... I never noticed that little spark... crazy... it looks cool... honestly I think a spark while Lcanceling would be better.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
L-canceling cue, fast falling cue,.....what's next?......landing detection cue?

seriously tho, as if Brawl wasn't already cluttered with gfxs

if you aren't randomly mashing buttons and you are aware of what inputs you are making, you shouldn't need cues to tell you what you're doing

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
I'm sure this has been answered before, but I did not want to wish wash my way through 1000+ pages of forum. How is progress going on the clone engine? I have not heard anything on it in awhile...

The King Of Hearts

Smash Journeyman
L-canceling cue, fast falling cue,.....what's next?......landing detection cue?

seriously tho, as if Brawl wasn't already cluttered with gfxs

if you aren't randomly mashing buttons and you are aware of what inputs you are making, you shouldn't need cues to tell you what u just did
Resetti quotes kaizo13 confirmed for brawl....

There really doesn't need to be anymore gfx...hes got a point.

Demon-oni
No progress really, They are more concered on the physics as of now....Land detection and C stick input and DI

King Luigi 128

Smash Cadet
Give him luigi friction and he'll slide far enough he won't need hover boots. :p
Then we'd have to give Luigi bomb jumping. ;)
Why don't we get try to make a tutorial video for the universal ATs in Project:M?

Starring Mario and Luigi.

The first section should explain SHFFLing and the 3 techniques that make it up.
Acknowledgment of Luigi's existence confirmed for Brawl 'Project M'! :luigi2:
(Now that's a nice idea, it would be like an extended 'How-to Play' video from Smash 64. :grin:)

The opening video being a short explanation of some common techniques/differences
between P:M and other smash games would be perfect.
Yea a video like that would certainly be handy to have! :alakadoof:
(It would really help me to explain things when showing this to my friends later on...)

Darkshooter

Smash Ace
Its a try bro and I know you just started but it feels mashed up. Its an intro so you need simplicity and zen to it.

Maybe a fusion of this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkK6cIu9qVA
and the kanto video, but still showing an organic theme of a fusion of all 3 games.

To start off with something easy-then the characters. then very little (but amazing) combo footage representing each game- some lols/ Then japanese screen of :alakadoof:.. I mean the Japanese ver of either one of the title screens till they come up with one themselves.
ETA time of video should be a minuet.

Everyone can add to this if they like, but ill be messing with what ever video manipulator thingy just to get this out of my mind.
Maybe Id feel like I could do even greater with a better video editor... and editing skills.

TeiunBomb

Smash Apprentice
I was going to post that Kanto Tournament hype vid myself, but Ulevo beat me to it, and managed to steal my thoughts in the process. Get out of my head, Ulevo.

One thing that he didn't mention that I think the future P:M opening should have is the scream from the 64 version. With Brawl being the first Smash game I owned (inb4youpoorsoul), I never noticed just how much the scream added to the game until I watched the 64 and Melee intros. If it were added in a similar way to the Kanto vid, with all kinds of crazy stuff happening, it would get people mad hype to play the game, no matter how many times they watched it.

That said, I still think the intro is a long way off from being made. The game engine and most of its characters aren't even completed yet, and it would be even longer than that before the game has footage to rival the Smash 64 and Melee vids. People trying to create intros now would just be jumping the gun.

Also love the idea of an AT How to Play vid, and Mario and Luigi showcasing the techs.

Starscream

Smash Ace
Of course there are negatives to it, like it shows your opponent that you fast fell, and in situations where you're trying to make recovery tricky to get back on stage so they can't ledge guard you, it would be a REALLY easy way for them to read you as they might not notice the fast fall without that visual cue.
Eh I don't buy that. This isn't something brand new, it was in Smash 64. Was this problem that you describe such a prevalent issue in competitive Smash 64?

.Guu~

Smash Cadet
Eh I don't buy that. This isn't something brand new, it was in Smash 64. Was this problem that you describe such a prevalent issue in competitive Smash 64?
It's not, however, that is because this was built into the game.

This would be the addition of something into Melee here, and quite frankly something that isn't necessary, it's nothing but a visual cue. A cue that could potentially help people read you.

All I'm saying is when people FF in 64 to try and trip you up with their recovery so they don't get ledge guarded, it's easier to notice than in Melee, and since it's not exactly an "AT" like L canceling sort of is, then I could see why there would be negativity towards it.

There's honestly NO reason for it to be added besides to ease the learning curve, however, unlike the flash for L canceling, I see this potential altering mind games.

Again, I like this idea, I'm not even trying to play devils advocate. Just pointed out something that I thought COULD be controversial, and I feel is something to think about before it could be blindly implemented.

Darkshooter

Smash Ace
To be fair, I do think it is a little bit early to be making an intro. Still, I suppose when the game is near 100% completion, I can give it another crack...

Starscream

Smash Ace
It's not, however, that is because this was built into the game.

This would be the addition of something into Melee here, and quite frankly something that isn't necessary, it's nothing but a visual cue. A cue that could potentially help people read you.

All I'm saying is when people FF in 64 to try and trip you up with their recovery so they don't get ledge guarded, it's easier to notice than in Melee, and since it's not exactly an "AT" like L canceling sort of is, then I could see why there would be negativity towards it.

There's honestly NO reason for it to be added besides to ease the learning curve, however, unlike the flash for L canceling, I see this potential altering mind games.

Again, I like this idea, I'm not even trying to play devils advocate. Just pointed out something that I thought COULD be controversial, and I feel is something to think about before it could be blindly implemented.
Fair enough.

jalued

Smash Lord
I don't think that a flash during FF is really necessary, especially if a "how to SHFFL" tutorial is included in the game.

The luigi and mario idea is great, and i would fully support that being included. It would add a really profesional feel to the game and help to convince people that the game is polished rather than just a low-level hack. Not to mention introducing brawl players to L-cancelling. I also feel that the tutorial should also explain the new DJC system (or at least have a seperate video somewhere in the game)

Maybe the intro combovideo should include more advanced techniques than are highlighted in the tutorials, such as wavedashing, waveshining, SH double laser, scar jumping etc so as to tempt players into researching the true depth of the game

jalued

Smash Lord
In other news, Sakurai himself confirms that he made Brawl ****ty and uncompetitive on purpose.
****ty is just a matter of opinion, he just didnt want it to be hardcore like melee, as he felt it alienated some of the market. I don't like brawl, but alot of people obviously do, so in terms of profit, he did a good job :p

Strange then that melee is the top selling GC game of all time though... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games)

However nintendo has sold more than 16million copies of brawl, compared to melee's 7.09million

so obviously its done better (whether that is related to the gameplay rather than advertising is debatable).

anyway, back to my previous post ;)

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
****ty is just a matter of opinion, he just didnt want it to be hardcore like melee, as he felt it alienated some of the market.
What Sakurai doesn't understand is that that isn't true. Melee can be played casually JUST as easily as Brawl. Casual players don't care what's under the hood as long as it's fun. But for a game to be fun for casuals and deeply competitive for hardcore gamers at the same time is an incredible accomplishment, but unfortunately Sakurai isn't willing to try it again.

And Brawl massively outsold Melee because the Wii massively outsold the Gamecube. That's all. Does Brawl command the same market share of Wii owners that Melee does of Gamecube owners? Not even close. A lot of the hype surrounding Brawl before it's release existed solely because of the reputation the Smash series built due to how great Melee was.

Ok I think we're veering off topic so I'm gonna stop now.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
After Brawl, I would prefer Ninty and pals never make another Smash game ever again.
I say this as a fan.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure something related to Powershielding had to be tweaked.

shanus

Smash Hero
****ty is just a matter of opinion, he just didnt want it to be hardcore like melee, as he felt it alienated some of the market. I don't like brawl, but alot of people obviously do, so in terms of profit, he did a good job :p

Strange then that melee is the top selling GC game of all time though... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games)

However nintendo has sold more than 16million copies of brawl, compared to melee's 7.09million

so obviously its done better (whether that is related to the gameplay rather than advertising is debatable).

anyway, back to my previous post ;)
well think relative, the wii also outsold the GC by a tremendous amount

jalued

Smash Lord
well think relative, the wii also outsold the GC by a tremendous amount
true, about 21.74 million GC's have been sold, so about a third of GC owners have melee

the wii has sold 70.93 million consoles, but 16.74 million brawl discs, so only 20% of wii owners have brawl

its still not bad since games are more expensive nowadays, and there is a larger selection to choose from

.Guu~

Smash Cadet
What Sakurai doesn't understand is that that isn't true. Melee can be played casually JUST as easily as Brawl. Casual players don't care what's under the hood as long as it's fun. But for a game to be fun for casuals and deeply competitive for hardcore gamers at the same time is an incredible accomplishment, but unfortunately Sakurai isn't willing to try it again.

And Brawl massively outsold Melee because the Wii massively outsold the Gamecube. That's all. Does Brawl command the same market share of Wii owners that Melee does of Gamecube owners? Not even close. A lot of the hype surrounding Brawl before it's release existed solely because of the reputation the Smash series built due to how great Melee was.

Ok I think we're veering off topic so I'm gonna stop now.
iirc, 64 / Melee were not supposed to get competitive. He has stated there is no "advanced play" and any of such is from glitches or exploits. Though honestly you have a completely perfect point, maybe you should email Nintendo and tell them.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
After Brawl, I would prefer Ninty and pals never make another Smash game ever again.
I say this as a fan.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure something related to Powershielding had to be tweaked.
Currently, the only way to reflect something is using a defensive collision. However, the size of them are tied to the hurtbox. Meaning things like DK can only PS reflect backwards. :p

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
Read the wiki article, Brawl only sold about two million and half more copies... not that much more considering the Wii's install base

kaizo13

Smash Champion
this time we should start on "Project M: the sequel" alot sooner after "Super Smash Brothers Hugs and Kisses" is released :p

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
About the HTP vid...

I remember that Melee had a vid featuring its characters. It was one vid featuring the starting cast and it spent a good 20 seconds on each of them. In the spirit of this and the HTP vid... is there possibly a way to load multiple HTP vids? Imagine if there was a menu option under vids where you could watch a short little HTP for each character. If this isn't really possible... there's always the possibility of putting your character "HTP" under replays and have to go without subtitled instructions. If however, you could do character specific HTP vids, it would also be cool to be able to chose which one played on screen when the start menu went idle. Again, this is all pretty out there as far as I know and assume, but I'm just throwing out these ideas in the event they are workable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom