• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
But you're only trying to add the lost MELEE characters, I don't see you trying to add every single character there is.... That would just be ridiculous.
Probably because Roy, Pichu, and Mewtwo are the most relevant here. There hasn't been a single consideration for brand new characters because there aren't any. Oh sure, there's WIP's like Lloyd but God help us if he ever gets fully functional let alone fit for P:M. We're fortunate enough to have a fairly functional beta moveset for him.

But that could STILL be done in Melee, right?
Buddy, we've haven't gotten anywhere near a clone engine until just a week or two ago and Brawl's been out for two-and-a-half years. I highly doubt this extent of research will go into Melee hacking and I doubt it'd be even possible.

Besides the brawl newcomers of course but you guys don't seem to care much for them because as you said their movesets need to be completely revamped because they are OBVIOUSLY no good...
Don't make assumptions. Brawl characters are built around Brawl's engine; trying to make the transition into Melee would hurt a lot of them as it is and many of them, especially Wario and Meta Knight, would be broken (MK more so than he already is). Pit's recovery is absolutely ruined by higher gravity and almost all of the characters need to be adjusted to Melee's physics.

Cause they're Brawl and Melee is so much better right? Can't just tweak the moves to fit Melee, gotta completely redo them.
Above paragraph.

shanus

Smash Hero
But you're only trying to add the lost MELEE characters, I don't see you trying to add every single character there is.... That would just be ridiculous. But that could STILL be done in Melee, right? Besides the brawl newcomers of course but you guys don't seem to care much for them because as you said their movesets need to be completely revamped because they are OBVIOUSLY no good... Cause they're Brawl and Melee is so much better right? Can't just tweak the moves to fit Melee, gotta completely redo them.
Your not really making any form of a point. What are you trying to say, leave the brawl chars alone and let them die off in the dust compared to all the former veterans.

If you don't like this project, don't reply in the thread. The OP alone describes this projects goals and should answer all of your questions.

Everyone else - please stop this discussion with frostym because its becoming borderline troll-like and its pretty stupid. We know what our goals are and you all do as well.

Instead, let's discuss this video showcasing the new metaknight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39vRDt-pm5o

This includes the new MK "tip system" on his moveset.

frostymm

Smash Journeyman
Buddy, we've haven't gotten anywhere near a clone engine until just a week or two ago and Brawl's been out for two-and-a-half years. I highly doubt this extent of research will go into Melee hacking and I doubt it'd be even possible.

Don't make assumptions. Brawl characters are built around Brawl's engine; trying to make the transition into Melee would hurt a lot of them as it is and many of them, especially Wario and Meta Knight, would be broken (MK more so than he already is). Pit's recovery is absolutely ruined by higher gravity and almost all of the characters need to be adjusted to Melee's physics.

Above paragraph.
Well it doesn't seem too outlandish to simply attempt to tweak hitboxes and animations in Melee, trying to make a clone engine in it would simply be unneeded.

That makes sense, but then what's the purpose of taking away Lucas' pikafreeze? It shouldn't have hurt him anymore than Ness' pikaflash, right? Not saying I'm against it, just doesn't make too much sense with what you're saying.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Everyone else - please stop this discussion with frostym because its becoming borderline troll-like and its pretty stupid. We know what our goals are and you all do as well.

Done and done.
Could you explain the system?

shanus

Smash Hero
Your not really making any form of a point. What are you trying to say, leave the brawl chars alone and let them die off in the dust compared to all the former veterans.

If you don't like this project, don't reply in the thread. The OP alone describes this projects goals and should answer all of your questions.

Quoting myself to ask people to stop the frost discussion and check out the new MK :)

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Don't feed pointless trolls that try to bring up arguments that have been discussed to death before.
It's obvious that he has no idea of the goals of this project (which are stated in the first post, so it shows that he didn't even read the first post), and this project is clearly not for him. He's just derailing the topic, and if anything this argument can only go sour and start flaming (as this thread often comes to...).

Doing as Shanus says.

shanus

Smash Hero
Magus can better explain as he and CK did a lot of programming, but:

Tip: Less damage overall, more generic trajectories, low base but good growth that at high/very high damage become better finishers and KO moves. Safer, but low reward until you build a lot of damage on them.

Un-Tip: More damage, more specialized trajectories, decent base but lower growth rate. Combo moves have higher trajectories and kill/gimp moves have lower angles. Less safe but this is where you build good damage with combos and gimp stocks at low damage.

frostymm

Smash Journeyman

I looked through the OP, it wasn't too clear to me. Saying it's Melee 2.0 is somewhat generic, could mean that it's just supposed to be melee with added content or that it's just supposed to be something better than melee. Or it could mean just Melee with some balancing tweaks.

Btw, I like the new Metaknight, fits in well with P:M. Not quite sure how to contribute besides telling you that it looks good.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
That is a rather interesting system there. It seems to encourage a deeper level of spacing beyond "sweetspot dat Nair/hit with x move at any range" and it sort of makes MK a very close range fighter even though he possesses disjointed hitboxes, if that makes any sense to any of you.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
spam arrows, stop trolling. please, this thread was perfect before you came.
Imagine my surprise when I saw you weren't on my ignore list O_O

how you been. We got time to catch up before I re-ignore you later...i'm to lazy atm.

I looked through the OP, it wasn't too clear to me. Saying it's Melee 2.0 is somewhat generic, could mean that it's just supposed to be melee with added content or that it's just supposed to be something better than melee. Or it could mean just Melee with some balancing tweaks.

Btw, I like the new Metaknight, fits in well with P:M. Not quite sure how to contribute besides telling you that it looks good.
alright forget what I said earlier. If I was in your shoes i'd probably have the same approach. I just don't get why you wouldn't look up the new stuff before making rageposts about how you hate the direction of the game without knowing whats going on.

honestly it's probably not your fault. Without regular'ing the thread there ins't really much you can find out except for here say and random vids.

It would be easier if Smashmods had updates but nobody does it. Most of the characters are blank and the ones that do have vids are about 10000 years outdated. Some are even before melee physics was ported over.

@ curry I was thinking the same thing.

DaiAndOh

Smash Ace
I didn't think it felt so secret that Wolf was a fast faller when he's one of the most completed new characters.

New MK looks really strong! I can def picture him hanging with melee top tiers. I'm pleasently surprised he has a "spacing system" as well. I'm guessing the upward angle on the dtilts were nontipped?

ZeroUnderOne

Smash Apprentice
How much shorter is the shine duration compared to melee when you tap B to initiate it, but don't hold B? I feel like it would be harder to do some of Fox's/Falco's shine turn mixups if the window is too short.

I R MarF

Smash Ace
Meta Knight becoming a spacing char?

Idk, for some reason I'm skeptical. However, it could be cool, looks good, and I'm sure my mind will be changed.

But to be honest, I feel as though a lot of the community is overreacting to MK's brokeness. If Jiggs can combo into (practically) OHKO rests doesn't warrant a nerf... but MK is in need of fixing despite being judged through brawl physics? And imo, Brawl's physics is so disadvantgeous to some characters, that its the sole reason why characters like MK are good.

Now don't get me wrong, I can understand nerfing his recovery and the use of his tornado. And I am certainly not against making a character more technical (which is what the the new MK stuff is all about)... its just I feel a little iffy about changing MK this much.

Anyway, I just thought I'd put my 2 cents in and be open about my unease towards revamping MK. I'm probably wrong anyway.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
^

now that gives M2K yet another reason to play Metaknight -_-
I didn't think it felt so secret that Wolf was a fast faller when he's one of the most completed new characters.
Actually, I'd really like to see what M2K could do with MK:M.
^ pretty much my thoughts.

MK has always been capable of being a good Melee character without being too good.

@ IR Marf. If you present your ideas in that kind of passive way they'll always be overlooked. You need more confidence in your assessments. I can't say i've ever really disagreed fully with anything you've ever posted.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Then how DO you understand the game?...
There are several levels on which to understand this game (Melee, or brawl, in some aspects they're the same to understand, in some they're different). Achieving true understanding will not make you godlike at the game however.

By get rid of it I mean make it as even as possible. Unlike brawl having an S tier and then a G tier for instance.... If their are tiers there should be no "Gawd they suck" tier and no "God" tier.
So you mean like Melee?

Halzy has a fundamental understanding of the game mechanics. He respects the good aspects, acknowledges the bad aspects and thus understands why certain changes have been made. It's also why he is good at the games.
Not true actually.
Then how do I NOT understand the game? XD I've seen some of the footage, I thought it was interesting and looked pretty cool, I wasn't really WOW'd by it and it doesn't tell me anything about how the tiers would be....
You just told me you dont understand the game...on any level at all.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
the only possible downside i see to the new MK system (and i'm only speculating) is having less control over your opponents whereabouts. I mean how much distance can there be between MK's tip of the sword and the base, add Melee's speed to that, and most importantly Brawl's DI.

not sure if any of that makes sense haha but just saying that landing a hit with MK could be sort of a random outcome making it harder to follow up.

(the main issue ofcourse is Brawl's DI potency)

G

genkaku

Spam_Arrows vs. Stingers: The ultimate trolloff.

On a more relevant note, MK looks like a ton of fun to learn. I dunno about play with/against, I guess that's implied, but coming to an understanding of his new game would be so much fun.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Spam_Arrows vs. Stingers: The ultimate trolloff.

On a more relevant note, MK looks like a ton of fun to learn. I dunno about play with/against, I guess that's implied, but coming to an understanding of his new game would be so much fun.
lol. You made you got not competition for number 1 douche....

on a more relevant note. I don't think MK is that much of a problem to cause fear. I mean Falco can't even use his low shl yet. So he'll be at a technical disadvantage until landing detection is fixed in 2015. MK does have lots of potential to be an actual good character. Not good in the sense that it's automatic or done for you though.

I applied, please let me know if I'm able to be a PT.
I can answer this ahead of time but...I don't want to ruin the surprise.

SnowMan

Smash Journeyman
unless your got serious connects to top pros/are a top 5 placing pro in your region and know at least 1 person already in the pmbr...you pretty much wasted your time.

hope that makes your day better.
It made my day much better, but I understand.

My buddy JesiahTEG stayed with Mango and those guys for a while, but he's not too close with them anymore. He's more of a candidate than I am and I'm trying to get it to play with him.

On a side note, from what I'm seeing, Wolf's shield pressure looks pretty weak.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
It made my day much better, but I understand.

My buddy JesiahTEG stayed with Mango and those guys for a while, but he's not too close with them anymore. He's more of a candidate than I am and I'm trying to get it to play with him.
PM me or something, and I we can try to cook something up if you're interested. I know JesiahTEG is in Rochester so I'll assume you are too (or at least still upstate NY if not Rochester?) so I would be the person to talk to as your friendly neighborhood PMBR member.
I haven't really been active in upstate NY Smash in a good while because of school and work and life in general (or in some cases I just ignore Slashy when he calls because I'm a lazy **** :bee:) but it shouldn't be a problem to just get a fest or something featuring PM going. Would be nice to show other Melee players around upstate NY the project too.

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
Well it doesn't seem too outlandish to simply attempt to tweak hitboxes and animations in Melee, trying to make a clone engine in it would simply be unneeded.

That makes sense, but then what's the purpose of taking away Lucas' pikafreeze? It shouldn't have hurt him anymore than Ness' pikaflash, right? Not saying I'm against it, just doesn't make too much sense with what you're saying.
OMG =_=
are you people listening to this.. and you're STILL going on with this conversation?
facepalm.jpg

DISAPPOINT!

I'm going back to lurking and i'm probably gonna skip the next 5 pages. Reading this is seriously making me rage. If he's a Brawl player, just let him have fun with that. If he doesn't like that you changed 8 **** characters then he doesn't need to play. It's his loss not ours. Simple as that.

I'm out.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
becaues this statement is entirely subjective, thus we pulled the opinions of the majority of players who use the characters.
Fair enough.

Love it! Good job guys.

unless your got serious connects to top pros/are a top 5 placing pro in your region and know at least 1 person already in the pmbr...you pretty much wasted your time.

hope that makes your day better.
I am 6th on the PR list for Brawl and 3rd on the PR list for Melee in my region, I know at least 1 person in the PMBR (Splice) and have connects to top pros in Australia, but I got rejected :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom