• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Guys, if they're gonna say "just play Melee", let 'em. They'll miss out on a great game in their ignorance, though, they'll probably just get on the bandwagon later. When this amazing game finally drops.

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
it'd be amazing if armada would fight mango in this. but mango is probably busy just playing melee so...
/dreamsarecrushed

BEES

Smash Lord
Anyone who has seen the recent vids from Project M should be feeling pretty stupid if they criticized the game earlier. I can't think of a compelling argument not to try P:M. It's the future of Smash.

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
the only argument i can think of is "I'm stuck so far up my *** that i'm in danger of choking on my own head."

nawgui

Smash Cadet
it's all good mang one way or another they will look at this project in a different (better) way...hopefully

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
my reply: its a true sequel not a replica
Did you miss the part where they cracked melee .dat files and copied the physics from that game onto this one? No, it's a replica with a few new characters. They even re-cloned characters that were de-cloned and changed certain attacks to look exactly like they were in the previous game. There isn't anything wrong with this, but it's just Melee with updated graphics characters and stages in a better more modifiable engine and improved balance. Doing this allows the community to have knobs to turn respective to game balance and gives us more control, but it isn't what I'd call a "sequel." Brawl+ is more like a sequel.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
how is it a replica when melee veterans have brawl and 64 moves? More of a sequel

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I would have bought sequel before the new physics modifications. :)

That's not to say there's no merit to the project or anything, I'm just saying "sequel" is a very generous term for a project like this.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
We copied physics over because the physics worked for the characters in Melee. Why re-invent the wheel?

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
In my opinion the game might have had a little more individual character if you'd have stuck with the physics you created yourself, and also might have been a little more than a Melee Copy. However, the game will be equally fun with the new physics so it probably doesn't matter much.

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
just think how many characters are getting exact melee physics back anyway.. only the ones for which the melee physics worked. any other character will have improved physics and not copy/pasted from melee anyway. so it's technically only like 1/8th melee clone..
<_<
>_>

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
Only people like Fox and Falco and Sheik and Marth, and other high tiers are getting exact melee physics. Pikachu, Bowser, Kirby, etc. are all getting revamped.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
You guys are gonna love these vids :bee: and I think Shiz is in love.

The guys in charge told me that we could hook up PM to the Melee livestream after Melee pools ends and do exhibition matches between pros. So get hypeMed and keep your eyes peeled.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
In my opinion the game might have had a little more individual character if you'd have stuck with the physics you created yourself, and also might have been a little more than a Melee Copy. However, the game will be equally fun with the new physics so it probably doesn't matter much.
I kinda agree except for one thing. In order for us to truely make this a "melee sequel" we need to be able to take what we are starting with, Brawl, and push in the melee direction.

One big difference between Brawl and Melee is the gravity and characters move speed, friction, etc.

Taking those values from melee makes sence, and from this point on, we can tweak characters to make things more balanced, different, etc.

Now that we can actually look at values in melee and compare them to brawl, we can balance. Also, the high tier characters are the only "copies" really, the characters that didn't really work as well in melee are the ones getting the radical changes so that they can keep up.

.Fade

Smash Journeyman
Could someone record the P:M matches on the stream if they come up? Just in case I fall asleep on my keyboard x_x

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Just played this at Apex, and I must say, I'm impressed. It's definitely not perfect, but it's really on its way. I used Falco mostly, and something still feels... off. It's very subtle, but it's very close to Melee.

I also tried Diddy. Not sure what to think of him. Aerial glide tossing is weird.

Also, Kage vs. Shiz was incredible. They both really liked it.

G

genkaku

Difference for difference's sake seems a little stupid to me. PM should improve anything and everything it can, but leaving the physics and stuff imperfect for no reason other than to differ from melee is just a bad idea. Especially since it's called what? Oh yeah, project melee.

Revven

FrankerZ
Just played this at Apex, and I must say, I'm impressed. It's definitely not perfect, but it's really on its way. I used Falco mostly, and something still feels... off. It's very subtle, but it's very close to Melee.

I also tried Diddy. Not sure what to think of him. Aerial glide tossing is weird.

Also, Kage vs. Shiz was incredible. They both really liked it.
Probably landing detection is what you're feeling is off, remember, Falco and co. in Melee land on their knees and in Brawl they land on their feet. So, the timing for some things are either easier or they are harder (such as double laser off of a ledge hop or laser platform drops are tighter).

5ive

Smash Champion
You guys are gonna love these vids :bee: and I think Shiz is in love.

The guys in charge told me that we could hook up PM to the Melee livestream after Melee pools ends and do exhibition matches between pros. So get hypeMed and keep your eyes peeled.
gg guys :D

Revven

FrankerZ
SHeLL, quite sure they were saved, heard they were SO hypeM.

However, I am disappoint by JCz and failing to do what he said was gonna happen tonight. Please make it happen tomorrow if it is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom