• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
i wonder if the landing detection on the bottom is so hardwired into a portion of the game, or if its values are transferred into something abstract like a simple 'landing' action. i hope it's not too padded into that changing such a value could cause a collapse in the disk itself! the end of smash as we know it!

and the next thing we hear from the devs will be "messing with landing detection causes the game to crash and brick the wii. this project is over. goodbye now."

thnx a lot =__=

I think the effect is being removed or at the very least won't work in place of Melee Boomerang. IIRC, we're getting the Melee Boomerang because its return trip is far more useful than the Gale Boomerang's wind effect.
so his rang isn't getting multi hit tornado effect on the return trip? ;_; -sad-

i swear i heard someone say that's what it was <_<

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
It's multi-hit upon return because that's how it was in Brawl. We just changed them from windboxes into hitboxes. We also haven't decided what we're ultimately going to do with it.

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
It's multi-hit upon return because that's how it was in Brawl. We just changed them from windboxes into hitboxes. We also haven't decided what we're ultimately going to do with it.
-smile gone-
eh.. oh well. i can't have everything i want lol.

Will Lucario have ANY elements of Mewtwo?
IMO you should merge what you can at least playstyle wise if not animations like what is happening with Doc and Mario.

they said they will not do that because mario and doc are very similar whereas lucario and mewtwo are very different except for shadowball/aurasphere.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
IMO you should merge what you can at least playstyle wise if not animations like what is happening with Doc and Mario.
Good question!
No real answer for it though.
-DD

I R MarF

Smash Ace
They definitely aren't similar enough to be merged. In fact... they would be almost completely different were it not for having the same neutral b.

Mewtwo seems to be more or less mind games and banking off a reckless opponent to get kills. He is incredibly defensive.

Lucario, on the other hand, is a high risk, high reward character. His attack style seems more offensive and he becomes stronger with the more damage he takes. Thus, slightly requiring Lucario to be more aggressive.

Because their playstyles are practical opposites, their mixture would create a very different character when compared to their originals.

Conclusion: Lucario is to Mewtwo like Ike is to Roy. Aside from their neutral B, they are two completely different characters.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
eh, lucarios can be played very defensively. take a character with big range and a projectile, and you've already got a good defense formed. then add a mechanic that makes their attacks, including the projectile, stronger. this is, again, further strengthening the ability to be defensive. then, make that mechanic work more and more as a battle goes on.

but, i do agree on not merging them. mewtwo is not the doc to lucario's mario.

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
eh, lucarios can be played very defensively. take a character with big range and a projectile, and you've already got a good defense formed. then add a mechanic that makes their attacks, including the projectile, stronger. this is, again, further strengthening the ability to be defensive. then, make that mechanic work more and more as a battle goes on.

but, i do agree on not merging them. mewtwo is not the doc to lucario's mario.

well he can be played defensively but i believe mewtwo's ONLY option was to play defensively and lucario has the option to be aggresive.

but ya merging them would be bad =/

Dantarion

Smash Champion
I think we should experiment with giving link hitboxes and windboxes on rang.
It would make it so that if you catch them with the windboxes, it holds them in tumble as it pulls towards.

Lucario, on the other hand, is a high risk, high reward character. His attack style seems more offensive and he becomes stronger with the more damage he takes. Thus, slightly requiring Lucario to be more aggressive.
Aura promotes offense?

I disagree.
Aura promites playing campy as hell to maximize the amount of time you actually are strong.
Thats not a bad thing, although P:M is supposd to promote offense, some characters will always be more defense oriented by design, and thats ok.

As long as defense isn't always the best option (vBrawl syndrome) I have no problem with "defensive" characters.

Street Fighter has many defensive characters, Honda, Claw, Sagat, and Guile to some extent, but all of those characters have powerful offensive options as well.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
All I want is returning hitboxes at the very least on the Boomerang. That's practically mandatory seeing as one of the main threats of the Boomerang is its combo-stopping return trip which opponents have to be aware of. Anything in addition to that is a bonus in my book and I think a hybrid would be neat and still keep the technical aspect of the Gale Boomerang.

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
All I want is returning hitboxes at the very least on the Boomerang. That's practically mandatory seeing as one of the main threats of the Boomerang is its combo-stopping return trip which opponents have to be aware of. Anything in addition to that is a bonus in my book and I think a hybrid would be neat and still keep the technical aspect of the Gale Boomerang.
gale guarding would become awesome if it had wind/hit boxes

and that useless phantom boomerang technique that does nothing for you in vbrawl would have a use finally.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
EDIT: this
the Project M Back Room has taken the stance that no Melee characters will return unless they can be seamlessly added without replacing any character as well as have their own Character Select icon.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Please keep in mind that this isn't Melee 1.1, it's Melee 2.0. Some things will need to change, and it is our hope that most of these changes will be for the better.
And, of course, there's always the fact that it's impossible to include Roy/Doc/Pichu/Mewtwo without replacing someone else. Which we aren't going to do.

DaiAndOh

Smash Ace
Street Fighter has many defensive characters, Honda, Claw, Sagat, and Guile to some extent, but all of those characters have powerful offensive options as well.
Well depends which SF you talk about it. II is primarily offensive. IV is primarily defensive. A majority of those characters in IV are defensive characters to the bone.

and in theory this game should top melee.

inb4riot

top =/= replace btw so don't start <_<
But people will be all why don't you play melee and not give it a chance. Until the melee pros make a thread with testimonials or something of that sort.

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
But people will be all why don't you play melee and not give it a chance. Until the melee pros make a thread with testimonials or something of that sort.
let them have god complexes and think they can determine how/why we hack our games while we enjoy this amazing work of ****ing art. their loss not ours. why the hell would we want such idiots to take part in this anyway?? <_< every time i see someone say "just play melee you f@gg0t" i rly want to hurt them in a bad way so why the hell would i want them playing this too?

Sterowent

Smash Ace
well, if you want to talk about art and who to receive it, the artist has to strike a fine line between the volume of people able to partake in his work and the volume able to appreciate it. the medium in which this all happens is already decided for the most part, so the first volume becomes limited by that. this somewhat limits the second volume as well, but those of that volume are more likely to scour for projects such as these. but i could talk all day on how interesting this situation is.

just know that because this project emulates much of a widely popular game, all types are likely to try this game out sometime, when it is at the lowest level and up of the very high standards set out. then will they admit, at least to themselves, why this project exists.

L/A/W

Smash Journeyman
people will always say play melee. I think the devs realize this, they have given melee pros the opportunity to provide feedback and will continue to do so in the future to make sure this is as good a game as possible. Yes, testimonials will help to erase doubt that will inevitably come with a project of this magnitude and hopefully it's popularity will spread in the time to come

D

Deleted member

People will keep saying play Melee until they see a finished product including perfected Melee characters, an entire viable character cast, and improved stage selection.

Some of the Melee community around here which had previously dismissed P:M are now taking it more seriously.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
From what I've seen in streams, it looks like Ness has his Brawl Dash Attack. Are there any plans to give him the Melee "PK Push," where the first two hits send at a mostly horizontal, downward angle? Or is he going to keep the auto-link Brawl version?

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
I know it's supposed to be amazing, but it looks to me like you just made the hitboxes of the moves really huge. Even though that's not what you did.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I think it has to deal with hurtboxes given both the title and the content of the video.

And it may not just be simple scaling of hurtboxes. Otherwise, he wouldn't have to jump and do an aerial to hit them every time. Oh, and then there's the grabbing of ledges from extreme distances.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
it's proof enough that the smash ball wasn't being hit at all until falcon actually hit with his body, aka his hitboxes.

looked like they were expanded up and forward, or something. jab hits a facing falcon from across the stage, but falcon punch doesn't hit when facing away and at a much closer proximity.

by the way, this is amazing. ohhh Dantarion!

edit: scratch that, maybe the hurtboxes overall were enlarged, and what i saw was simply clefts and such that, on a grand scale of falcon, would allow for some misses. it's obvious though that this is the real deal, not that anyone has doubts. but this is proof enough to not allow undermining of such a huge discovery.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
So many discoveries in the past 2 weeks O_O

but I still don't get why the hurtboxes are so important...wouldn't hitboxes be more important? Even though that's been figured out forever and ever? Or does this somehow relate to the knockback problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom