• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
hurtbox data = where a person can be hit. where a person can be hit in brawl =/= where a person can be hit in melee. ability to change hurtbox data = well, do i really have to spell it out for you?

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
hurtbox data = where a person can be hit. where a person can be hit in brawl =/= where a person can be hit in melee. ability to change hurtbox data = well, do i really have to spell it out for you?
=/ that rly wasn't THE most obvious answer in the world like you made it seem.

actually.. i'll just shut up before i get "yes it was. you're a dumb *** too."

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Actually, what hitboxes and hurtboxes are is pretty common terminology, and extremely easy to look up. I'm not a fan of Froho acting like an ***, but I'm actually with him here.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
little worried about this. if you go so far as to change all the hurtbox data to melee, models may be out of synch. it'd be just as bad as the point brought against vertex hacks, as in deceptive appearances.

i wouldn't mind seeing a tune up of the hurtboxes, but if you change them to melee, some characters are definitely going to need model changes.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
Exactly my point. For example, if you make someone like Samus's hurtbox like melee's, where she was smaller, then people would have to be closer to her to damage her. However, I don't think this applies to most characters. Maybe Samus, Bowser, and possibly Luigi. Additionaly, the difference might be too minimal to even notice.

D

Deleted member

You guys may or may not realize this, but some Melee players of the high tier characters don't want to play this game unless their characters are 100% completed replicas.

Think about how the hurtboxes may affect that differently when a vBrawl/Melee comparison is made.

The devs know what they're doing... They aren't blindly putting into effect changes upon changes permanently. They test and experiment.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
Yeah, there are people who won't play melee unless all melee models are imported, all melee stages are in, all axed characters are put in, all the music from melee is in, and all the melee sound effects are in place. You know what I call those people?

Ridiculous melee purists.

EDIT: Oh **** I just got owned. ****.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I always find it hilarious when this thread starts with one speculation then snowballs into a heated debate about ideas no one is entertaining.
Yeah. I mean, the BR only does that from time to time.

But in a less silly fashion, of course.

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
Actually, what hitboxes and hurtboxes are is pretty common terminology, and extremely easy to look up. I'm not a fan of Froho acting like an ***, but I'm actually with him here.
i know what a god**** hurtbox and hitbox is =_= i didn't know you guys even wanted to match hurtboxes with melee.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
i have faith in the devs. just stating the changes that would be required. if you want an exact replica, you'll have to change those animations too. fox fsmash? is any of the hitbox data and placement different? change it. oh, it is the same? change it still. his hurtboxes are different on frame 10 through 15. change nair back also. what about ganon? is he high tier enough? kage would notice a difference. i'm sure magus can easily tell. rockcrock could see right through this. does this force the vertex hack on him, or is he not high enough?

i'm wondering if this is what's to become of the high/top tier characters.

an exact replica would require a lot of model changes, and definitely new, or in this case old, animations. i know this project strives towards keeping the top and high tier characters' gameplay the same, closer to exact as the tiers go higher, but how this will happen while keeping in mind many, many players who will notice a change and wonder if they're okay with it is beyond me.
shanus'll know what to do, but i know most of us can't see that far ahead...

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Hurtboxes are character-specific not frame-specific.

EDIT: Unless you're saying that we'll change the animations to match Melee because the hurtboxes would be displaced inaccurately in the Brawl animation, which is true in many cases.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
I think certain things about changing animations purely for aesthetic perfectness is pointless. If melee purists can't deal with someone's shoulder being slightly out of line or someone's foot being barely a pixel too far forward, then too bad. <,<
(Now I know certain things like the animation of Marth's forward smash in melee vs. in brawl is VERY noticeable and causes deceiving range if you have melee marth range with brawl animation or vice versa. Things like that should be changed.)

EDIT: If you have to change the animations due to the hurtboxes, that's fine I guess.

Wind Owl, I thought he meant the "maybe not" sarcastically.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
this has something to do with P:M.
Well, maybe not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNS-gqFsTDE
Sorry, just pointing out more lulz in that Dantarion said it may not even have anything to do with P:M. He was poking around the character PACs and finding new things, then he made a hilarious video about it and posted it here because there are a lot of people viewing it who might be interested. Chill out guys.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
indeed, that's what i meant. i know you guys wanted to keep fox's fsmash animation for variety, but this is where i get confused. not that it matters. i'm not a pro or anything, hah, just a big fan of what you guys are doing here.

ExtremeYoshiFan

Smash Rookie
Man you guys have torn apart brawl, and for the better, I can't wait for a codeset download, I will be an early adopter for sure.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Nope, not defined at all. Please do tell, as the last news is thusly as the title, which was updated on the twenty-fifth. Surely more has been done than adding in Melee character physics within a week of working on the project.

You say to look at the title like you think I'm stupid.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
i noticed that when we don't have anything to talk about we just argue lol

anyways, i wouldn't be surprised if we got a beta this month or next month in September......9 months of Alpha just sounds....well silly :p

P.S - ur suppose to give birth after 9 months Shanus

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
They've just been playing melee because it's better and this project is worthless since they should just play melee. Obv.
;)

humble

Smash Ace
Currently the attitude, and posts, in this topic are dissapointing. I will reiterate myself again; when posting everyone should have a valid reason and intent, legible posts, and proper courtesy and respect. If you fail to properly display these basic necessities, you cannot expect others to give you them either. To prove your post valid, it must contain all these elements- currently, a large number of unproductive posts lacking all the parts (of) what a positive post constitutes.

Please keep discussion productive and ontopic, and be respectful and intelligent when posting.

L/A/W

Smash Journeyman
Currently the attitude, and posts, in this topic are dissapointing. I will reiterate myself again; when posting everyone should have a valid reason and intent, legible posts, and proper courtesy and respect. If you fail to properly display these basic necessities, you cannot expect others to give you them either. To prove your post valid, it must contain all these elements- currently, a large number of unproductive posts lacking all the parts (of) what a positive post constitutes.

Please keep discussion productive and ontopic, and be respectful and intelligent when posting.
thanks mom
lol

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Part of the reason for the currently lower post quality probably has to do with the larger amount of background work going on now. There's less interaction between the public and the team since they need no iinput so they (the public) aren't as settled and crap happens.

G

genkaku

I think I asked this before, but if I remember correctly it was in the middle of a large, heated discussion, so I doubt it was noticed.
Is it possible to program Lucas' downB so that it doesn't automatically turn him around when something is going to hit him from behind? I understand that it's similar to the shine in this respect, but considering that it has a disjointed hitbox I think that it would be more appropriate and more conducive to intentional play if you were forced to turn it around manually.

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
Part of the reason for the currently lower post quality probably has to do with the larger amount of background work going on now. There's less interaction between the public and the team since they need no iinput so they (the public) aren't as settled and crap happens.
it's mostly me lmao. i joke too much. sorryz D:

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I think I asked this before, but if I remember correctly it was in the middle of a large, heated discussion, so I doubt it was noticed.
Is it possible to program Lucas' downB so that it doesn't automatically turn him around when something is going to hit him from behind? I understand that it's similar to the shine in this respect, but considering that it has a disjointed hitbox I think that it would be more appropriate and more conducive to intentional play if you were forced to turn it around manually.
I'm not seeing how this really affects matches or anything? I can tell you, that if Lucas just absorbed something from behind him you're likely not in a combo that's going to get you hit from the magnet.

humble

Smash Ace
I'm curious, are there any plans for King DeDeDe? In brawl he was a awkward character with a few overcentralizing aspects that made him good, how will he be changed (possibly)?

G

genkaku

I'm not seeing how this really affects matches or anything? I can tell you, that if Lucas just absorbed something from behind him you're likely not in a combo that's going to get you hit from the magnet.
For teams. And Din's fire fake-outs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom