• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
It looks like the general desire for Yoshi is simply a faster Fair than what's currently in place, which I could agree with.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
on another note

Has any Thought been given to a name for this? We can't call it Project Melee forever. Not to mention there is another project that goes by the name Project Melee. We could call it Melee 2.0 or Melee 2 but I think a new name would be better personally I just can't think of a good one.

Call it WBSB(What Brawl Should've Been)

humble

Smash Ace
Has any Thought been given to a name for this? We can't call it Project Melee forever. Not to mention there is another project that goes by the name Project Melee. We could call it Melee 2.0 or Melee 2 but I think a new name would be better personally I just can't think of a good one.

...Pretty sure it is Project Melee, and there is no project anywhere as advanced or as large as this one with the name. P:M is the name that has been used, and it seems fine to me. Seeing as how everyone knows it as P:M and everytime someone referred to it, it was as project M, so I don't see any need to change. It's a good, servicable name that states what it is and has been in use for awhile now. If the name was going to be changed, it should have been done a long time ago.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
...Pretty sure it is Project Melee, and there is no project anywhere as advanced or as large as this one with the name. P:M is the name that has been used, and it seems fine to me. Seeing as how everyone knows it as P:M and everytime someone referred to it, it was as project M, so I don't see any need to change. It's a good, servicable name that states what it is and has been in use for awhile now. If the name was going to be changed, it should have been done a long time ago.
Project Melee http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=242995

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
i think lucario is homo tbh <_< gen 4 sucks. no offense to anyone who uses him.. but anyone using lucario automatically registers as a pokenerd in my mind. -thinks of my one friend- ...ya

edit: except my one friend. she's legit.

of course i know he's not being replaced i'm just saying.. and his thighs are fkin huge e.e he needs to lay off the pokeblocks. srsly.

libertyernie

Smash Ace
Ur both wrong.

NTSC = 29.97 FramesPS in two interlaced fields, for a display of ~60FIELDSps. Think of it this way...its 30fps, but each refresh is half a frame at a time.
PAL = 25 FramesPS in two interlaced fields, for a display of ~50FIELDSps.

Read up on Wikipedia, NTSC is 29.97 because of signal bandwidth needed to add color, and PAL is 25fps because NTSC colors sucked.

STANDARDIZATION IS NEAT.
Just for the record, NTCS fps = 30000/1001 exactly. I needed this once for a video editing program.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
lol project melee being the metroid thing
gj
it's project: other m.

I R MarF

Smash Ace

Brawl: Revised or Melee+ would also suit well.

Stratocaster

Smash Ace

SSB Mawl

(Melee+Brawl, but sounds like Maul)

I mean seriously

Melee is a fight

Brawl is like... a bar fight (explains tripping? and Luigi's Final Smash)

Maul is a fight with body parts flying off everywhere and blood spraying

the perfect next step

ha well I like it anyway

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
People. This is Project Melee, not Melee. It includes Brawl characters, and includes ALL of them. It would not be fair to exclude any character just because replacing them with an ALREADY GONE character (like Mewtwo) would make it "more like Melee". Sakurai was already a **** for cutting any characters, so cutting even more just to replace them with the already gone characters is a load of bull.
Being Project MELEE and not Project BRAWL should mean to include as many of the dropped Melee characters as possible.

If that means the dropping of Lucario then I don't care. P:M is all about turning Brawl into Melee, not injecting Brawl characters into Melee...

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Well, we do, and that's been the official position of the PMBR for a long time now. We're not replacing characters without a way to ADD characters, so you can argue about it all you want but it's a waste of time.

Sorry to FroHo you, but that's how it is on this issue.

G

genkaku

I know, P:M devs give a specific and concrete answer to a question. Unfortunately, I don't like that answer, so I'm going to ignore them and keep arguing.
Is it just me, or has the drama meter on this forum jumped up significantly in the past week or two?
Such a killjoy to see it.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
Well, we do, and that's been the official position of the PMBR for a long time now. We're not replacing characters without a way to ADD characters, so you can argue about it all you want but it's a waste of time.

Sorry to FroHo you, but that's how it is on this issue.
Is your main focus to make Melee 2.0 with Brawl characters or to put Brawl characters in Melee?

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Our goals for P:M are:
SHeLL said:
1) A fast-paced game
2) with flowing, organic movement
3) where the player has a great degree of control over his character due to the technical skill that he's achieved.
4) The balance of offense and defense changes depending on the exact matchup and playstyle, but overall tends to favor offense slightly.
5) Offstage edgeguarding is risky but rewarding, while on-stage edgeguarding is safer but less rewarding due to ledge techs.
6) Recoveries are generally weak, with the exception of a few characters.
7) The combos are challenging and spontaneous, with anything longer than 2-3 hits requiring a knowledge of both characters' options and some degree of prediction or at least amazing reading.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Are there going to be any videos showing off the new Melee physics? Even a demo or teaser video would be cool, or a comparison between the old and new physics on a character with a noticeable difference.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Just improve Yoshi's Shield. His inability to jump out of his shield is one of the two most cited reasons for him being Low Tier in Melee and Brawl.

64 Fair and Dair sound cool though. Or you could just reduce the base landing lag of Fair and dair. Whichever works.

Good stuff Magus, your becoming the Phantom Wings of Melee.

TL?

Smash Ace
Enough about mewtwo. He's not in no matter how much better he is than lucario. Let's hear some more about this full melee decyphering instead. :bee:

I R MarF

Smash Ace
tbh mewtwo is just more popular. Lucario is a superior fighter and I said this earlier but I'll say it again: recreating mewtwo is an uncessary stall to the project.

Also, most importantly, PM said there won't be mewtwo, so there probably won't be mewtwo.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Mewtwo has eight testicles while Lucario has 0.

Lucario is not a superior fighter. He's OU. Mewtwo is Uber and has been since RBY. Last I checked this project doesn't cater to furries, so there's really no reason to keep Lucario.

Vro

Smash Lord
I thought the first and foremost goal of P:M was changing Brawl to have Melee's integrity.

Wavebuster

Smash Journeyman
Ur both wrong.

NTSC = 29.97 FramesPS in two interlaced fields, for a display of ~60FIELDSps. Think of it this way...its 30fps, but each refresh is half a frame at a time.
PAL = 25 FramesPS in two interlaced fields, for a display of ~50FIELDSps.

Read up on Wikipedia, NTSC is 29.97 because of signal bandwidth needed to add color, and PAL is 25fps because NTSC colors sucked.

STANDARDIZATION IS NEAT.
You know that Melee and Brawl are fully capable of being rendered in progressive frames at 50/60hz, right? Would they no longer be NTSC and PAL? We're talking about video games coming from their own local output devices which can output progressively, not the limited, over-the-air television signals of yesteryear. Those standards you mention don't apply to the concept of modern games. The terms "NTSC" and "PAL" are still applied because it's the gaming region.

Or any frame data that comes out of Smash.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
God **** it, Strong_Bad has me sold on Mewtwo (no, it doesn't deal with the 8 testicle deal although having any over none is good).

Just rather comical, I guess.

iLink

Smash Champion
i think lucario is homo tbh <_< gen 4 sucks. no offense to anyone who uses him.. but anyone using lucario automatically registers as a pokenerd in my mind. -thinks of my one friend- ...ya

edit: except my one friend. she's legit.

of course i know he's not being replaced i'm just saying.. and his thighs are fkin huge e.e he needs to lay off the pokeblocks. srsly.
> Calls people pokenerds
> Knows what a pokeblock is

what?

Also... have you seen Mewtwo's thighs? They aren't any smaller the Lucario's >_>

I don't see why some people are so against the brawl characters, if you are THAT against brawl then why not go play melee where it's exactly what you want for this project?

Also, Yoshi's N64 fair would be so awesome. That and making his shield not suck.

Kix

Smash Journeyman
I don't think people are opposed to 'Brawl characters.' I do think that in this case we have a character that tries to be like Mewtwo in a way, and there is no character that is close enough to what Mewtwo was. It seems like, with the intended audience, that it would be a better idea to have Mewtwo. Secondly, Mewtwo had a lot of things that could have been tweaked be good or usable and if that were done it seems obvious to me that he would be a more interesting/competitive character.

When you think about how vertex hacks are coming, +sound rips, I wonder why these things aren't automatically included in the Project M package. It's almost universally accepted, it seems like, that Melee sound effects are basically better. Now that this game has the chance to be the sequel we never had, I think it would be better to start with Melee as a basis as far as it makes sense and is reasonable, and then make the game more rich, balanced, and interesting.

I'm not saying I don't understand someone not wanting their character to be removed, but I think one honestly needs to think of which character would be more interesting, if the character's place is taken (Dr. Mario could be fused with Mario and is basically the same thing, for example), and other factors.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
oh hey guys :D .....let's drop the bull**** comments and talk about things that matter.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
yeah, this replacing characters thing has had its official response. channel your thoughts into learning how to code a clone engine from here on, or at least tracking down and aiding the developer of one.

the vertex hacks, though, didn't receive quite a direct answer, which leaves a bit of room for this debate to go on if anybody would like to continue along that vein. i'm against both of these on the basis that they all stand on the principle of not simply adding but removing and replacing in topics that would easily develop a good argument for a slippery slope: removing the brawl community out of what is essentially going to be their stomping grounds. despite this being a melee project, brawlers will be necessary to be involved. after all, many of their character-specific ATs will still exist, many of their characters wouldn't be replaced either because their clones/origins made it in brawl, and brawlers are the owners of the game and the wiis.

alienating them rather than finally giving them another good smash with such powerful availability would be a pretty ignorant or spiteful thing to do, even if this means no mewtwo. or that's my take on it. thinking too hard?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
we haven't been able to implement taunt during initial dash.
after that, then yes. he will be able to.

iLink

Smash Champion
I'm not saying I don't understand someone not wanting their character to be removed, but I think one honestly needs to think of which character would be more interesting, if the character's place is taken (Dr. Mario could be fused with Mario and is basically the same thing, for example), and other factors.
And who is to decide what is "interesting"? I could say Mewtwo was stall as balls with his game revolving around getting a throw in.

I like mewtwo as a pokemon, but I'm not going to beat around the bush. He was terrible. I honestly don't think over half the melee community even cared that he was in melee and only really gave a **** after the fact that he was gone.

D

Deleted member

Glad to hear that Yoshi will likely be given his 64 Fair.

In another note and a slightly off topic one as well... the devs could give DK a dash attack that matches the one in Donkey Kong 64. Its disjointed, a sex kick, and can be jump canceled. Seems Rareware had the right mentality. You could also give him the Simian Slam from DK64 as his aerial Down-b.

Oh god the possibilities.

bleyva

Smash Ace
Glad to hear that Yoshi will likely be given his 64 Fair.

In another note and a slightly off topic one as well... the devs could give DK a dash attack that matches the one in Donkey Kong 64.
and once we get the clone engine working, we'll have Chunky Kong and Lanky Kong!!!!!

:3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom