• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Any plans for DK's side-b? I hear his coconut gun fires in spurts.

I'd just get a kick out of seeing stuff from DK64 into P:M. Be cool is all.

Kix

Smash Journeyman
And who is to decide what is "interesting"? I could say Mewtwo was stall as balls with his game revolving around getting a throw in.
When a character plays in a way in which they can utilize a lot of options, especially if they have a general different feel than the other characters, I'd say that most people would say that is interesting. Now sometimes a problem could be that a character is so weird that it breaks the feel of the game, but that argument doesn't appeal to me as stated.

Probably one of the reasons Mewtwo (not a competitive Melee player here) would have been so one-sided gameplay-wise is because his other options were flawed in some way. So now that the power is in the hands of the P:M developers, I think that Mewtwo could have his game brought to what it should have been. Mewtwo was a unique character that pretty much stayed in the game, and I think that now people know what we could do to him, especially with brainstorming.

So if a clone-engine isn't possible, I don't think that the team should rule this out, especially in light of the target audience. I wouldn't like it if I was a Lucario player either, honestly.

I like mewtwo as a pokemon, but I'm not going to beat around the bush. He was terrible. I honestly don't think over half the melee community even cared that he was in melee and only really gave a **** after the fact that he was gone.
People didn't pick him because he sucked. I know I felt that I wish I could have played him, but he was just that flawed. So, I don't think that a functional Mewtwo would be less appreciated, because honestly I think a lot of people liked him but knew/experienced that it wasn't going to work. If you think of his moveset and what could be done to tweak it, I think you might be able to see what I'm saying in comparing the two.

I don't know that it would do any good, but I think if we got a discussion on the flaws of Mewtwo, his moveset, what could be done vs. the gameplay and the like of Lucario that people would see if it was more worth delving into. The thing is that Lucario might do well to have some of those options and the ideas of Mewtwo, but if the clone engine is possible in the future, obviously things might be better separate. At any rate, I think a merger would be an appealing middle ground.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
"Melee programming and physics deciphered"

I know what you mean by melee physics, but what do you mean by "melee programming"?

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
Project: M is used by NASA
Project: Melee is used for Melee hacks and that Metroid game lolo
and Project M is for this.

I know, P:M devs give a specific and concrete answer to a question. Unfortunately, I don't like that answer, so I'm going to ignore them and keep arguing.
Is it just me, or has the drama meter on this forum jumped up significantly in the past week or two?
Such a killjoy to see it.
it really has.

and btw, its not P:M, or Project Melee its just PM or Project M

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
The last 5 pages were just like a huge TL;DR to me lol but to break the ice.. New Physics Son!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja1ESdx0vDk
These vids will most likely come down after better ones go up. We were mostly testing and these weren't really serious matches but decent none the less.
Just to clarify, was Snake tuned at all since the Melee data was added in?

Oh yeah, and this really is looking quite spiffy. Specially the Fox ditto. Project M was looking slick beforehand, but it's a pretty noticeable difference going to the actual Melee values.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
First of all, if all you guys wanna do is talk about the name, find something else to do.
Second of all, stfu, this isn't about making Melee over again, this is a new game and a new beast, and replacing characters is 99% not gonna happen.

G

genkaku

My goodness, that looks so much better. And it looked great before, haha.
Thanks for the vids, Sneak.

question. A few weeks ago, before things started to get hectic with new faces, coders and physics, Shanus (I think) predicted a late summer beta. Does this still stand as a reasonable estimation, or will all of the recent activity push it forward?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
if anything, the recent discovery of melee data will push the public beta release backward, as we'll need to do tons of work porting attack data.
and character sizes.

and yes, falco's barwl fair is here to stay. we're working on re-building his melee jabs, though.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yeah, i agree. the beta for this is going to be so ****ing amazing.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Glad to hear that Yoshi will likely be given his 64 Fair..
A bit early to say that.

The thing is that Lucario might do well to have some of those options and the ideas of Mewtwo, but if the clone engine is possible in the future, obviously things might be better separate. At any rate, I think a merger would be an appealing middle ground.
No no no. It's ok to merge very similar characters like Mario/Doc and TLink/YLink, but Mewtwo and Lucario have very little in common besides looks and neutral B. Mashing them together would create a Frankenstein monster, not a character with a coherent playstyle.

If we don't get a clone engine, then R.I.P. Mewtwo. Of course, people are free to replace Lucario with Mewtwo on their own.

if anything, the recent discovery of melee data will push the public beta release backward, as we'll need to do tons of work porting attack data.
and character sizes.
How does that push the release date back? This discovery has done so much of the tedious work for us. I had several weeks if not months of work left on throws alone, but not so anymore. Now, once the data is parsed and readable, it's a few hours max of plug-and-chug work.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Anyone know what's the current euro interest and input in this project?

I got the idea yesterday ,after reading that you got the melee physics in, that I might be able to hold structured beta test sessions with the dutch melee pro's(Amsah, Zgetto, Faab etc). Only when the project is ready tot test of course. I thought about also making a blog around that time with a detailed journal about the feedback I get at these sessions that you can then read and make your own design deciscions based on the feedback with video recordings of the matches. If you would like a more detailed explanation let me know and I'll pm it (once I got it all written down since this is idea is really fresh).

Gotta enquire with the dutch pro's first though to see if there's interest. But if there's interest here then it might enhance the interest by the dutch pro's.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
How does that push the release date back? This discovery has done so much of the tedious work for us. I had several weeks if not months of work left on throws alone, but not so anymore. Now, once the data is parsed and readable, it's a few hours max of plug-and-chug work.
the thing is we were't gonna do the whole melee porting thing until we figured out we were able to. and i doubt everyone would just sit around while you did everyone's throws. :p we still haven't found a conversion factor for KB yet, anyways.
Anyone know what's the current euro interest and input in this project?

I got the idea yesterday ,after reading that you got the melee physics in, that I might be able to hold structured beta test sessions with the dutch melee pro's(Amsah, Zgetto, Faab etc). Only when the project is ready tot test of course. I thought about also making a blog around that time with a detailed journal about the feedback I get at these sessions that you can then read and make your own design deciscions based on the feedback with video recordings of the matches. If you would like a more detailed explanation let me know and I'll pm it.

Gotta enquire with the dutch pro's first though to see if there's interest. But if there's interest here then it might enhance the interest by the dutch pro's.
if you have an NTSC wii and NTSC brawl, we can most likely hook you up w/ Project M for the Dutch pros.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
if you have an NTSC wii and NTSC brawl, we can most likely hook you up w/ Project M for the Dutch pros.
I got ntsc brawl burned. However I did install the update a few weeks ago for mario galaxy 2 so I'm not sure if I can get homebrew working on my own wii. But we have plenty of wii's here so one should be able to run it through homebrew. But that's all logistics and I'm sure we could work that out :).

What would the beta tests mainly be about?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
the alpha tests would pretty much be y'all dutch players doing whatever you want and having fun with the project.
feedback would be appreciated of course :)

shanus

Smash Hero
I got ntsc brawl burned. However I did install the update a few weeks ago for mario galaxy 2 so I'm not sure if I can get homebrew working on my own wii. But we have plenty of wii's here so one should be able to run it through homebrew. But that's all logistics and I'm sure we could work that out :).

What would the beta tests mainly be about?
takes 2 seconds to get around that, my girlfriend did the same

installing on 4.2 was a breeze, unless you have 4.3 then i don't know what the deal is

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Also I think there was some ambitious fellow who wants to do a Project 64 type deal with brawl (z cancelling, 0 hit and death combos) somewhere on this board.
Link plz. I love Smash 64.

And yes, I could just shut up about it, as its a fairly minor change, but I'm willing to bet that it's not the only cosmetic effect or change that people dislike, and I don't see why you would make it mandatory, either way. It isn't affecting gameplay, and I think GFX should be treated similar to SFX, in an optional package.
I agree with you Humble, the effect looks ridiculous.

I don't seem to understand this project... If it is supposed to be cloning Melee into Brawl, why are we messing around with things and keeping Brawl moves and stuff, isn't that more suited for another project?

Will a PAL version be released?

Will Ness's YoYo Glitch be replicated (for the lols)?

If we are giving characters moves from other games, I vote for giving Falcon his Smash 64 Up Smash.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
the alpha tests would pretty much be y'all dutch players doing whatever you want and having fun with the project.
feedback would be appreciated of course :)
Well if that's the case, provide me with a copy of this as soon as project M is ready for testing and I'll bring it to all the smashfests I go to.

@Shanus: I'll look into it then. I haven't been working with brawl hacks for about a year so a lot must have changed since then (I did some early testing for brawl + but quit pretty soon). I for one wasn't aware that we got around the code amount limit that was in place at first.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
It's not just the friction. JC Grabs, for some reason
SAKURAIIIIIIIII
cancel out the character's friction completely, but not their momentum. Shanus and I are looking into it.

ValTroX

Smash Ace
Nice to know Wind Owl. I have a suggestion to balance out friction(if it's a universal code it's easier cause you have to do it with just 1 character): Take a character to Corneria's slope in melee and jump, from there see how much that character slips(Falcon for example) and do the same with the same character in Brawl's Corneria, now that melee physics are in, it should work. There might be an easier way that you guys thought of, but just suggesting :)
Edit: I just went to melee to check this out, characters barely slip in slopes, so my suggestion is invalid :laugh:

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
the thing is we were't gonna do the whole melee porting thing until we figured out we were able to. and i doubt everyone would just sit around while you did everyone's throws. :p we still haven't found a conversion factor for KB yet, anyways.
It saved a ton of time on physics, probably a few months' worth. I'm sure we weren't gonna release without that. And a lot of attacks and throws reeeeally needed to be Meleefied, which will be pretty trivial once we get the conversion factor.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Isn't RC and some other stage(s) seeing a ban at Good **** German (going to hurt myself if I got the event name wrong)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom