• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

iLink

Smash Champion
Speaking of Sonic, what benefit does that slide attack follow-up have over just wavedashing or doing a homing attack?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
No, you guys can't touch Ike at all. Buff his OOS game he'll be fine...

FSMASH

Armada

Smash Lord
Revven: "It's "hmm, Ike is doing well in tourneys and players are complaining"
Players are always complaining and I hope you guys don't listen to much about random complaining because a char is placeing good. People overall is takeing results way to seriously and don't think about other aspects that is also very important.

I guess Mango haven't played PM that much but still did very well at the last tournament with a second place. I can for sure say I haven't played this game a lot but still beeing able to beat players that have way more experience. People need to realize that a person like Mango can play severalls of chars at high level the fact that he can dosen't make the chars broken (know Im talking about melee but I hope everyone see the point)

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Players are always complaining and I hope you guys don't listen to much about random complaining because a char is placing good. People overall is takeing results way to seriously and don't think about other aspects that is also very important.
We take everything with massive grains of salt. We've had plenty of complaining about almost every character in the game, often times complaints on both sides of an issue. "Link is overpowered!" "Link is awful!"

There's a middle-ground between utterly ignoring tournament/pro playing evidence, and catering to every desire possible. I believe the Project M Back Room is doing a good job at being attentive, while not letting it bring down the quality of the game. (In fact, it's doing the opposite.)

I'm hope that Demo 2.5 will kill off any of these concerns, as it's our first significant, relevant patch that contains character tweaks. And every changed character in 2.5 will be better-designed than their current selves.

Nobody should jump to conclusions about what the PMBR is doing about any specific character. We've been doing pretty well so far, and more time to design and develop is only going to make this game better. Trust us.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
@shadic
From what I've seen from 2.5 so far the PMBR has done its job in tweaking things.

I know that on a personal level, the way I would balance things would be to determine who are generally accepted as the worst 4-5 characters and slightly tweak them. And if any characters were OMG so broken AS COMPARED to the melee top tiers, then slightly nerf. I.E. Melee characters are a "cap" per say.

From just general knowledge about the tier list spec thread on smashmods, I think people fairly universally thought Charizard, Wario, Ness were some of the worst chars in 2.1. All of which that I've seen so far recieved slight buffs.

So in regards to balanceing I believe you guys are doing fine. I would be concerned if you guys were buffing seeming random characters and nerfing random characters. Mechanic tweaks are whatever, like Pits fsmash being two hit now. That wont change his tier.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Let's set the record straight:

They're not nerfs, they are tweaks. Tweaks to make the character fit the vision the person(s) behind it (you know, the people who did all the coding, testing, designing etc.) come to life. Pit losing 1 aerial glide does not inherently make him worse, he still works the same, he just has an actual risk to going offstage. Something that's analogous to... Melee's offstage game. And as it is, as you've seen with Armada's Pit, the character doesn't even need a glide at all to edgeguard or combo well.

Granted, Armada is like the best player in the world but... that doesn't mean other Pit players can't copy what he does, even if it takes a lot of execution, it means it's possible and that's what ultimately counts, does it not?

Additionally, nearly every character has had tweaks that benefit them, more so than "hurting" them. We're very selective on this stuff, Omni. We don't just change things on a whim, it's a lot of discussion and testing.

It's not just "oh, players are complaining about Ike, he's placing well in tourneys, let's nerf him!" at all. It's "hmm, Ike is doing well in tourneys and players are complaining about some aspects of him that are a little silly but as a cohesive whole the character plays super well. What can we do to make whatever's silly about him less so without impacting the character's feel and general strengths at all?" That's the kind of stuff we think about.

Ike is in good care, don't worry about it bro. As are all the other characters in this game. Everything's goin' be fine. :)

This thread doesn't reflect the dev team's opinions at all, so don't let what's being discussed in here lead you to believe X character is only receiving nerfs.

Lucario is fine, Kage. A Warrior needs to be humble.
Out of curiosity, are you pro-ban or anti-ban for Metaknight?

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
Are you intending to suggest that Lucario is somehow as bad as MK was? Because I'm pretty sure the only new character actually close to matching the melee top tiers in 2.1 is Ike, and even then it's sort of wonky.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
No. I've just noticed a heavy correlation between people who complain about top tiers needing nerf and people who were pro-ban during the Brawl MK debate.

But, yea, just the opposite Scar. I think anyone crying for nerfs this early into the PM metagame has a horrible disposition.

Edit: Also, I main Lucario. :3

KingBlaze777

Smash Apprentice
MK has been a character that I've been wanting to know how is he being handled. I recall a video where M2K said something along the lines that "he played MK similarily to a Melee character" and ever since I found out about PM, I've been wanting to see what changes were/are made to balance him.

Kage, don't worry too much about Lucario. MK is still hiding in the bushes...

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Please stay on topic, folks. As a general rule, if you're posting similarly to or in response to Dingding's dolan-style posts, you're probably not on topic.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I hope they make Falco lasers auto hone in on DK's body, just to spite you.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
But just DK
cause that'd be a DK nerf, not a falco buff
can't dare buff falco
he's one-a dem der' spacie animals
Hell god damn no

Spacies get nothing. Nothing.

The strategy of bringing everyone up to their level is even harder to do and will make the game even harder to balance, if you go ahead and buff spacies lol.

Before Spacies get a single buff, and I mean a noticeable one not a tiny one like Side B cancels exactly like Melee, Upb angles back to normal, or stuff like that. I mean faster jab, stronger Bair, better Dthrows, etc, you should give each and every other character noticeable buffs before they get a single thing. In fact, I'd rather see Spacies get knocked off the "god" pedestal before they get anything.

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
Hey, folks. I'm here watching JCaesar's 4 hour stream of demo 2.5, and I'm wondering about Wario's throws. Does he still have the tornado throw that used to be f-throw? Is it now his b-throw? I would hate for that throw to be gone since it represents a Wario World move and it's a good display of Wario's strength. I also think his original b-throw is kinda lame.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
Oh right, there's supposed to be an update about P:M 2.5 hype around now, isn't there?

Or is that for a central/pacific timezone?

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
For a second I thought you guys said today was the release and I started freaking over nothing.

But I'm glad we're getting a holiday surprise this year before v3.0, very glad indeed.

Good job team.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
So does each new character in the demo roster add a .1 to the version #?

Or is 2.5 supposed to signify a middle ground between one whole version # and the next?

Important info needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom