• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cannedbread

Smash Lord
you can always delay the rise to the edge tho

and the dair helps

and the razor leaves

also i wonder if it's an actual tether, like airdodge in a direction > a sort of tether

i can't wait omgggg

and i swear i saw squirtle at the end of the trailer

hypeee

jalued

Smash Lord
you can always delay the rise to the edge tho

and the dair helps

and the razor leaves

also i wonder if it's an actual tether, like airdodge in a direction > a sort of tether

i can't wait omgggg

and i swear i saw squirtle at the end of the trailer

hypeee
From the Ivysaur info page:

allows Ivysaur to return to the stage with Project M's improved tether mechanics preventing effortless ledge-hogs.
Same tether system as 2.1

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
I know it's the same tether system. It don't matter. I used to dair ivysaur out of his up-b ledge return all the time.

and yes you can delay it...against certain moves. try going around a link fair/bomb, rob gyro, or even the new waddle dee's.

OmegaMuffin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OmegaMuffin498
Yeah, son. Ivysaur.

More characters means less johning. Less johning means more enjoying Project: M

GET HYPE

Seriously, hyped for Ivy. Gonna space the hell outta everything with b-air. I can taste the salt now...

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Given how Ivy sorta worked in Brawl, I think she will probably wreck CCers really hard. Spacing/keepaway was her best attribute in Brawl, seems to be mirrored in this game as well. Looks like rushdown is probably going to be the way to beat Ivy in this game. I wonder if she's still heavy like she was in Brawl.

TeiunBomb

Smash Apprentice
Ivysaur looks pretty interestingly conceptually. I like the way that Solar Beam is implemented, in that you can either charge it manually, or smack someone around with her bulb attacks. I do find it a bit odd that it comes out an angle (or of it seemingly firing out of Ivy's mouth, haha), but given that it's a beam-type attack instead of a single projectile like how Lucas' grounded PK Freeze was in the pre-v2.0 days, I'm sure that it will turn out better. I will admit that I'm a bit skeptical with Ivy's bulb attacks healing her along with placing a Leech Seed on her opponent (even if I do like the individual concepts), but I suppose that I will have to do see her being played/play her myself before I jump to conclusions about how busted the concept is.

I do have two questions, though:

a) Will the Leech Seed placed on an opponent vanish the moment Ivy is hit, or does it function like Lip's Stick, i.e. the opponent takes damage for a set duration of time no matter what?

b) With the inclusion of Seed Bomb (which is an awesome addition, btw) being placed on Down B, does this mean that the PMBR finally figured out how to add articles to characters' moves that didn't have them before?

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
a) We used the normal Flower element, so it functions identically to Lip's Stick

b)Seed Bomb was created using the Bullet Seed article, and a lot of technical wizardry.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
At least now people can talk about Ivy's moveset and not whine that a flightless angel can't air glide twice on his own.

But wait, that's not happening unless you guys spoil us rotten with more info. ;)

TeiunBomb

Smash Apprentice
a) We used the normal Flower element, so it functions identically to Lip's Stick
Ah, I see. Is there any way to change that without messing with the properties of Lip's Stick? Not that I'm complaining; just curious, is all.

JOE!

Smash Hero
I hope the healing attacks aren't too safe.
The only reason Ness/Lucas and their healing orb thing aren't blatantly OP is because they're reactionary and only work against certain attack types.

Healing just for doing your job and wailing on people could be tricky to balance right.
It's like a pre-emptive recovery for her seeing as her normal one blows.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
So these 4 new characters seem likely:

Ivy (confirmed)

Samus (work in progress but likely completed)

Squirtle (almost made the cut for demo 2)

Zero Suit Samus (almost made the cut for demo 2)

Sounds about right to me from what we already know about character development.

Unless we get a crazy surprise like Kirby, but I won't get my hopes up there.

metroid1117

Smash Master

Project M Demo 2.5 Roster Reveal: Ivysaur!

Be sure to tune in at Twitch.Tv/dazee_ @ 6PM EST to catch Ivysaur in action!
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww yeah. I saw bubbles edgeguarding Fox at the end.. SQUIRTLE?????

By the way, I've finished uploading the post-tournament friendlies and money matches from The Big House 2. Here they are (note that "F" means "friendlies" and the number indicates the number of matches; F1-2 = Friendies #1-2):

$5 MM - Strong Bad (DK) vs Rat (Sonic)
$5 MM - Strong Bad (DK) vs metroid (Ike)
$5 MM - Sung (Falco) vs metroid (Ike)
Strong Bad (DK/Link) vs metroid (Ike) F1-5
Strong Bad (DK/Bowser) vs ??? (Wolf/Snake/Ganon) F1-4
Strong Bad (DK) vs Rat (Sonic) F1-3
Strong Bad (DK) vs Kirk (Bowser) F1
metroid (Ike) vs Spoon (Snake) F1-6
Kirk (Bowser) vs Rat (Sonic) F1
Kirk (Bowser) vs ??? (Ganon) F1-2

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I'm just wondering, is ivysuar like, slow? Or does she have an unmentioned weakness?

I'm not doubting the PMBR knows what they're doing, but I'm just curious because the things you've shown on the wedsite and in the video made ivy look really good.

I have so many questions to ask.
But I can't. :urg:

JOE!

Smash Hero
Going by Brawl's stats, Ivysaur has:

Weight= 6/10
Size= 5/10
Dash= 5/10
Air= 1/10
Fall= 5/10

So, she's really just average except for abysmal air speed (contributing to her piss-poor recovery).

Stunts

Smash Journeyman
So these 4 new characters seem likely:

Ivy (confirmed)

Samus (work in progress but likely completed)

Squirtle (almost made the cut for demo 2)

Zero Suit Samus (almost made the cut for demo 2)

Sounds about right to me from what we already know about character development.

Unless we get a crazy surprise like Kirby, but I won't get my hopes up there.

Who said only 4 will be announced?
tbh, all Yoshi had against him was a lack of a parrying system. So I'm pretty sure he will be announced too.

DID I MENTION I WANT YOSHI IN 2.5?:yoshimelee::yoshimelee:

Prinny Mask

Smash Rookie
From the known issues list, "Grabbing while holding an item is possible while doing a standing turn."
Is this fixed in 2.5?

Tickin' me off trying to play Link and I hookshot the air and take my own bomb to the face. :p

OmegaMuffin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OmegaMuffin498
I thought what Yoshi had against him was a good amount of playtesters.

Also, videos introducing or displaying characters usually is all about showing off a characters strong points. It's no fun being shown a character's weak points lol you have to find it out yourself.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Who said only 4 will be announced?
tbh, all Yoshi had against him was a lack of a parrying system. So I'm pretty sure he will be announced too.

DID I MENTION I WANT YOSHI IN 2.5?:yoshimelee::yoshimelee:
A ton of people have said we're getting 4 so I assume that's the official word, correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe that Yoshi's parry system required breakthroughs the team hadn't made yet but that could have changed too. I got the impression months ago that he wasn't as complete as some people thought he was.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Why does everyone think a character needs a glaring weakness? A characer who is average to above average in everything is better then one of extremes in most cases.

Mario is a characer of average everything. The only thing you could argue is he has extreme edge-guarding due to cape, but is that any worse then a Fox shine.

Game and Watch is a characer of extremes, he has some of the worst shields, rolls, techrolls, weight. But has some of the best smashes and kill power.

I think most people agree that Mario is a overall better character then G&W. Yet Mario isn't "OMG OP" because he doesn't have any discernable weakness.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Characters with absolute extremes in design are always impossible to balance. The best you'll be able to have is a character with half their matchups being 0:100, and the other half being 100:0. All the characters that can't abuse their weakness will be trashed by their relatively overcompensated strengths, and all the characters that can get around their strengths will abuse their free weaknesses.

It's called polarising design, and it's something I am very strongly against in making a competitive game. A good portion of the match shouldn't be decided before you even leave the character select screen*.

*Hard counters are almost inevitable, and are not strictly what I am talking about at all.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Mario is a characer of average everything. The only thing you could argue is he has extreme edge-guarding due to cape, but is that any worse then a Fox shine.
You sort of argued for the other side that Cape isn't "average" by comparing it to arguably the best move in the game. XD

Anyway, I literally went to sleep around 5 minutes before the Ivysaur update went up, thinking it might not come up for another hour or so... <_<
So I'm curious as to why Ivysaur was made to shoot Solarbeam out of its mouth (as opposed to its bulb, which would make more sense)? Was this a technical issue or was there a gameplay-related reason for it?

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Tune into my stream today and you'll get to have a glimpse of what Ivy can do :p
What is your stream?

I'm so excited hngnggnngngn

This is like smash bros dojo all over again, except better

:phone:
Pretty much, except this time we pretty much know that the game is amazing and there's no way our dreams can be crushed in one strong swipe.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I'm still waiting for hit-stun cancelling mechanics, tripping and infinite air dodges to be added to Project M version 3.0. I head that they're cool ideas.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Jokes on you, he worked on Melee.
Yeah, but he lost his way and he won't ever be going back on that path.

The Melee team still could be lead by a better fighting game designer and keep that magic with community playtesting. Sakurai is a lost cause with Smash as a fighter.

Although I do think he would make a kick *** Smash action game if he admits Subspace Emissary was terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom