• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
I started with PM and went back Melee. Oddly enough movement feels much better in Melee for me, although something about PM is godly to me. I just can't really put my finger on it.

Last edited:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
There's slight differences between melee and PM for me, but they're negligible. What really kills Melee for me though is the lack of diversity. There are only a couple of truly successful people who don't play a top tier. I really do tire of the fact that if I turn on a random Melee tourney, chances are I'll see nothing but spacies, marth, jiggs, sheik, and they're gonna pick one of five stages with the same tracks and the same skins. Maybe there will be a player or two in any given tourney that plays a different character, but there's almost negligible chance that they'll decide on the gentlemen's clause and choose a stage not on the list. The skins and music are the least of my complaints, but they don't really help Melee from feeling so stale. This is never the case with PM. There's basically no chance that you won't see an interesting matchup, given that there's what, like 861 matchups or something? And there's always at least 10 stages to choose from at any given tourney.

Last edited:

kaizo13

Smash Champion
I put down Melee when 3.0 came out and focused purely on PM, So it's been 6 months of no Melee for me. Last Sunday i went to a local and decided to enter Melee and...i did awful. I thought i was going to be able to just transition back into it since i been playing Melee for 10 years but nope. I couldn't move at all the way i wanted to, i was dropping so many inputs that i thought my controller was broken (it wasn't)

Even though i was dissapointed at my performance, playing Melee again gave me this rush and sudden urge to want to practice and improve. Compared to PM, Melee seems to require you to be more frame perfect to move at top speed, which to me makes matches far more intense and exciting.

I love PM and will continue to play it, but i just hope future iterations allow for a smoother transition between the two games. I can certainly see why top Melee players shy away from PM or refuse to play their Melee mains.

that being said, i have really high hopes for this upcoming build because i know how hard you guys have been working. Cheers~

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark out today
No competitive PvP multiplayer from what I'm hearing, only Escalation (Horde Mode) and campaign co-op.

Literally took out the best part of the Cybertron games and the only reason most people bother turning it on nowadays. Rental.

/offtopic
There's always going to be some iterations that have fans screaming

Just how it is.

Remo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dekonic
I put down Melee when 3.0 came out and focused purely on PM, So it's been 6 months of no Melee for me. Last Sunday i went to a local and decided to enter Melee and...i did awful. I thought i was going to be able to just transition back into it since i been playing Melee for 10 years but nope. I couldn't move at all the way i wanted to, i was dropping so many inputs that i thought my controller was broken (it wasn't)

Even though i was dissapointed at my performance, playing Melee again gave me this rush and sudden urge to want to practice and improve. Compared to PM, Melee seems to require you to be more frame perfect to move at top speed, which to me makes matches far more intense and exciting.

I love PM and will continue to play it, but i just hope future iterations allow for a smoother transition between the two games. I can certainly see why top Melee players shy away from PM or refuse to play their Melee mains.

that being said, i have really high hopes for this upcoming build because i know how hard you guys have been working. Cheers~
I can feel you on this. I played Melee for about 5 years and then back when 3.0 came out I switched. Last weekend I went to a tourney for Melee and got smashed so hard I wanted to cry in the bathroom!

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
The only thing I wish was in melee thanks to playing all this P:M is RAR.
Definitely this. RAR makes movement options incredibly more flexible. I could live without things like DACUS and the like, but RAR would be really fun to use if it were in Melee.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
I'd play Melee, but my Gamecube seems to have crapped out and somehow I lost my saves for Melee. Fortunately PM has better balance and a bigger roster of viable characters, so I don't mind going Meleeless.

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
Playing Final Fantasy after going so long without it is fantastic. Being even better at it than before after a 6 month hiatus is even better. This is so soothing <3

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Always weird when I hear about people going back to Melee and being trash at it. I play it exclusively at smashfests (never tournaments) and always play well, sometimes better than the last time I played (usually with deeper insight into character/player interaction gleamed from PM). PM only lets you be sloppy if you let yourself be sloppy. I do not.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer

From a few dropped hints about the next release, it sounds like "everything just feels way better." Which might refer to some sort of tweaking that makes things feel closer to Melee.

I think dash dancing is one of the bigger feel differences between the games, at least for me it is. I don't know if it's the joystick sensitivity, the animations, or something else but it's one of the things that makes Melee so smooth feeling.

If they leave jumpsquats and joystick sensitivity the way they currently are in PM but overall make movement feel more like Melee I'd be a happy camper.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Always weird when I hear about people going back to Melee and being trash at it. I play it exclusively at smashfests (never tournaments) and always play well, sometimes better than the last time I played (usually with deeper insight into character/player interaction gleamed from PM). PM only lets you be sloppy if you let yourself be sloppy. I do not.
I liked it better when you were DK. ;_;

Bryonato

Green Hat
Bought Skyrim Legendary Ed. on the Steam sale for $13 bucks since I had never touched the DLC on Xbox.
Spent all weekend downloading mods.

Here we go again....

Weeabro

Smash Cadet
I don't think Bleck is wrong for having that opinion.

It's a game with a legacy yeah, but it's like playing SF2 when Ultra is out and is way more balanced with more features etc. Comparatively it's pretty lacking,

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
Just like SF2 and SF4 are different games.
To be fair, Project M won't be as major of a game as Melee is because it ain't an official Smash Bros game. So people need to play Melee to be in more of the big tourneys that are sponsored by Nintendo and the like.

Or I could be talking out of my ass since I haven't been in the tourney scene or have ever cared much about it.

Bleck

Smash Master
Like, don't get me wrong, here. All the power to you if you wanna watch seven-thousand matches of Falco vs. Marth or whatever, desperately trying to pretend that [somebody who isn't Mango] is gonna beat Mango in the big tourney finals. To each his own, you know?

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
PM seems to read joystick inputs more precisely for me. The thresholds between tilt and tap feel better as well as the thresholds between vertical and horitzontal directions. In Melee, you have to tap harder to register as a tap and Melee tends to favor up/down on the joystick over left/right. Another difference is that PM feels like it has a looser window to perform techniques. This is obvious with short hopping for example; everyone knows that short hopping has 1 extra frame to be attempted compared to Melee.

Melee on the other hand feels more responsive, like your character responds to your actions faster than in Project M. They jump slightly faster, turn slightly faster, and begin fast falling slightly faster than in PM. To this day, I still don't like the way Falco feels in PM, though I still want to play him in PM really badly.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Nah, the cool kids played PM before demo 1.0 was released.
this is exactly what I was saying tho

The cool kids were also playing PM when it was just a Falco Down B mod, and transitioned into the PMBR via the collapse of the B+ team.
The days when nobody knew PM existed, before the revision client existed, when changes were all guess work... "Melee" physics were done by having two TV's next to each other, one with Melee, one with PM, and Wavebirds to control both games at the same time. Guess and check until good enough. *the horror*

Top Bottom