• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
I'm sorry what the **** did you just ****in' say
I said Mega Man 2 is over-rated, and it absolutely is. There are so many things that stop it from being the perfect game that so many seem to believe it is and yet it gets so much praise, to the point where instead of new Mega Man games progressing, they regressed to be more like 2/3. People shouldn't be happy about things being taken from them to make new games, and yet they don't seem to mind. It boggles my mind.

Before I'm asked to explain the things wrong with Mega Man 2, I will list off a few things. (Keep in mind, that I don't think the game is bad, just that it's not deserving of all the love it gets, especially when other games came along after and were basically the same or a little better.)
For one, the control is slippery, just like in Mega Man 1, a problem not fixed until 3.
The boss weapons are either OP (Metal Blade) or near useless (Almost everything else)
A few frustrations include the trap boss in Wily Castle that you have to use all your Crash Bombers on. If you miss a single one, you lose and have to get game-over and try again. (Bad fight design) The final Wily fight has this same problem, but to a lesser extent.

It seems that the only things really introduced in 2 were the 8 boss stage select (instead of the 6 from 1), and a few items which would be replaced by the more iconic Rush versions in Mega Man 3.

To re-iterate, Mega Man 2 isn't a bad game, but it was not the greatest Mega Man Classic game, (That is probably 3)

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Maybe the announcement will be that the M in the PM logo will be a playable character in Divekick.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Im excited to know what the new feature is, will it be a taunt that forces spacies to sing? Nah thats dumb, I bet its going to be a new ganondorf taunt because **** you

And the new norfair is better because I hate how large the old one is, big stages arent fun

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Im excited to know what the new feature is, will it be a taunt that forces spacies to sing? Nah thats dumb, I bet its going to be a new ganondorf taunt because **** you

And the new norfair is better because I hate how large the old one is, big stages arent fun
I like the new Norfair, but it's spawn points are broken. Had to adjust them so that they didn't spawn in mid-air, curious where SOJ is going to set them officially when they're fixed.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
@Magus @Dantarion @Shadic @ standardtoaster standardtoaster I have confused myself yet again.
I'm trying to perfect ROB's down-throw CG on spacies (fox for now) so I'm trying to find the limits of it.
So I found what percent fox can first jump out (appears to be about 96% so that's the number I used) when the throw is fresh (before damage is added to percent). I'm using no DI for now, which sends fox the highest unless you use really janky half-DI.
Plugging that into the knockback formula (and using a weight of 100 I think that is what you use for throws universally) gives me aprox 138 knockback.
So if fox can jump out at 138 knockback, I calculated in reverse trying to find what the max percent I could regrab fox if the throw was fully staled (55% of 8 damage gives 4.4 damage for the maximally stalled dthrow).
The damage number I got was 158%, give or take a decimal. Yet going to frame advance and trying to regrab fox, it seems like he can still jump out at about 100%.
What gives? Does damage staling not affect throw knockback like it does every other move? Does throw knockback calculation use a formula more different than just a standardized weight?

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
I said Mega Man 2 is over-rated, and it absolutely is. There are so many things that stop it from being the perfect game that so many seem to believe it is and yet it gets so much praise, to the point where instead of new Mega Man games progressing, they regressed to be more like 2/3. People shouldn't be happy about things being taken from them to make new games, and yet they don't seem to mind. It boggles my mind.

Before I'm asked to explain the things wrong with Mega Man 2, I will list off a few things. (Keep in mind, that I don't think the game is bad, just that it's not deserving of all the love it gets, especially when other games came along after and were basically the same or a little better.)
For one, the control is slippery, just like in Mega Man 1, a problem not fixed until 3.
The boss weapons are either OP (Metal Blade) or near useless (Almost everything else)
A few frustrations include the trap boss in Wily Castle that you have to use all your Crash Bombers on. If you miss a single one, you lose and have to get game-over and try again. (Bad fight design) The final Wily fight has this same problem, but to a lesser extent.

It seems that the only things really introduced in 2 were the 8 boss stage select (instead of the 6 from 1), and a few items which would be replaced by the more iconic Rush versions in Mega Man 3.

To re-iterate, Mega Man 2 isn't a bad game, but it was not the greatest Mega Man Classic game, (That is probably 3)
Slide is fine, but the Charge Shot degenerates gameplay because now there's no real incentive to switch weapons, hence why Megaman 4, 5, and 6 are much easier than the previous games. Proto Man in MM9 and 10 at least took double damage from enemies, so there was at least some kind of drawback in exchange for his extra abilities.

EDIT: Fighting the MM2 bosses again is the worst part of MM3 for me. I beat the 8 robot masters, now I gotta fight 8 more before getting to the castle? With harder levels with limited checkpoints and new attack patterns and weaknesses? MM3 isn't exactly perfect either.

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Slide is fine, but the Charge Shot degenerates gameplay because now there's no real incentive to switch weapons, hence why Megaman 4, 5, and 6 are much easier than the previous games. Proto Man in MM9 and 10 at least took double damage from enemies, so there was at least some kind of drawback in exchange for his extra abilities.

EDIT: Fighting the MM2 bosses again is the worst part of MM3 for me. I beat the 8 robot masters, now I gotta fight 8 more before getting to the castle? With harder levels with limited checkpoints and new attack patterns and weaknesses? MM3 isn't exactly perfect either.
They could find ways to make all the weapons have value, while still allowing the charge shot to exist. The charge shot was one of those important additions that Mega Man has since become known for. Taking it out of later games to make it feel like older installments just kind of makes the game feel a lil like a Mega Man 2 hack.

Edit: It absolutely isn't perfect, though it was much more balanced and overall a better controlling game than 2 was. I think when you say that the charge shot made the games easier, that's true to a point, yet charging also made you feel much more in control of your character than the being relegated to the lemon shooter alone. Finally you could hit enemies that were slightly lower than the lemon shot allowed you to reach. Besides, Mega Man 2 wasn't exactly hard asides from the parts in the game that were poorly/dickishly designed to waste your time if you didn't do everything perfect the first time through. (Trap Boss)

Overall, my favorites of the classic era are probably 5 & 6. Because sure, while the Charge Shot basically is the only thing you need (In 5 especially since most of the weapons were crap in it, something that is true of almost every single MM classic game.), the stages are well designed so that when you screw up, it's your fault and not because the designers threw stuff at you that you couldn't see completely coming. (With the exception of the random crystals dropping in Crystal Man's stage in 5, without the Star Crash...because that was stupid.)

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
I can't believe this post isn't about Melee
It very well could be, though I'd argue the difference between Mega Man 2 and Melee is that officially, Melee wasn't officially improved upon and Mega Man 2 was. In any case, regardless of the flaws something has, it can still be enjoyable.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
I would play Melee but it kind of sucks
Lemme try.
I would associate more with people who play video games in competitive ways personally, but 90+% of them are people to avoid, not get closer to.
Seriously.

I can't believe this post isn't about Melee
I can, pretty easily at that.

Still a great game, but... Nostalgia filters are a bit misplaced for 64 and Melee, here. they aren't THAT good.
Their limitations are pretty obvious, but are covered for with structure and stuff, put in place by smart TOs and players way back when.
The games have fairly large flaws in some cases.

Cue me being lambasted as That Guy™ in the next hour or so dozens of times over. ¯\_༼ຈل͜ຈ༽_/¯

I'd rather be completely rational and having emotion and thought be separate, but intertwined processes, rather than running on one alone(like an emo, or an empty shell). Definitely all of that, instead of raging over trivial differences in anything ever. It's worth being That Guy™ if it means I'm the only sane person around for a bit.

I know I just averted following that mentality; hypocrisy is okay if you win the argument~
(⌐■_■)7

Last edited:

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
Like, don't get me wrong, here. All the power to you if you wanna watch seven-thousand matches of Falco vs. Marth or whatever, desperately trying to pretend that [somebody who isn't Mango] is gonna beat Mango in the big tourney finals. To each his own, you know?
A-f***ing-men. A-f***ing-men to this for the last ten years.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Why all the hate for Melee? You do realize how important Melee is to the history of Smash? It's not a perfect game, no game is, but don't insult it. If anything insult Brawl for not improving upon character balance and engine thus splitting up the community causing flame wars everywhere. I just want an official Smash game that can unite both Melee and Brawl players. But we'll always have purists, assholes, and elitists to stop that.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Why all the hate for Melee? You do realize how important Melee is to the history of Smash? It's not a perfect game, no game is, but don't insult it. If anything insult Brawl for not improving upon character balance and engine thus splitting up the community causing flame wars everywhere. I just want an official Smash game that can unite both Melee and Brawl players. But we'll always have purists, *******s, and elitists to stop that.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Laconic/BrokenBase
It isn't going anywhere. Tune it out.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Why all the hate for Melee? You do realize how important Melee is to the history of Smash? It's not a perfect game, no game is, but don't insult it. If anything insult Brawl for not improving upon character balance and engine thus splitting up the community causing flame wars everywhere. I just want an official Smash game that can unite both Melee and Brawl players. But we'll always have purists, *******s, and elitists to stop that.
64 sucks.

Melee sucks.

Brawl sucks. So do mods like Project M and its ilk.

Smash 4 sucks.

There, everything is right as rain.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510