• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
G-dorf mains, you guys need to improve your movement, dont disgust me please
Hate you all~

Last edited:

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
So I finally got around to trying PM, honestly...even after years of playing melee, since 2004, I cant find a main. It's so weird, I should instantly feel saddled into Fox/Falcon/Marth because the movement options are there, but it feels really off. Maybe it's Brawl's engine but I just cant feel any of the characters, everything feels either too free or too inconsistent or too slidey. It irritates me greatly trying to play my Fox because I can feel input delay or something, and Falcon feels really...Idk like stiff and Marth's airs feel kinda slowish or something. Maybe I'm nitpicking and should view PM as its own game but I really cant. It's like the game is saying "HEY! Look at all the stuff I can do it looks just like Melee!" but I can still feel the Brawl engine.

Still though for what it is, it's a cool mod. I'ma keep going at it till I feel comfortable, if I'm going to keep playing though I'll have to find a new main. :\ feel free to jump on me now for citing criticisms or whine I'm talking about the game in a PM thread or some bullcrap lol.

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
So I finally got around to trying PM, honestly...even after years of playing melee, since 2004, I cant find a main. It's so weird, I should instantly feel saddled into Fox/Falcon/Marth because the movement options are there, but it feels really off. Maybe it's Brawl's engine but I just cant feel any of the characters, everything feels either too free or too inconsistent or too slidey. It irritates me greatly trying to play my Fox because I can feel input delay or something, and Falcon feels really...Idk like stiff and Marth's airs feel kinda slowish or something. Maybe I'm nitpicking and should view PM as its own game but I really cant. It's like the game is saying "HEY! Look at all the stuff I can do it looks just like Melee!" but I can still feel the Brawl engine.

Still though for what it is, it's a cool mod. I'ma keep going at it till I feel comfortable, if I'm going to keep playing though I'll have to find a new main. :\ feel free to jump on me now for citing criticisms or whine I'm talking about the game in a PM thread or some bullcrap lol.

yeah the melee and brawl engines are worlds different so even with all of PM teams brilliant work its not going to feel like melee. Seems ppl quickly get used to it far as I can tell though.

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality

This shouldn't garner hate in the slightest really, it's your own opinion.
For the very same reason you stated is why I play Fox in Melee but choose to play ZSS/Toon Link in PM. I'd hate to screw over my Melee tech because of the small difference in the engines.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
This shouldn't garner hate in the slightest really, it's your own opinion.
For the very same reason you stated is why I play Fox in Melee but choose to play ZSS/Toon Link in PM. I'd hate to screw over my Melee tech because of the small difference in the engines.
Yeah, I been kinda leaning towards Toon link in PM myself, something about him feels pretty alright lol. Still though that recovery is lmao, I feel like 64 Link while stuck in the air with him. I wanna use Peach but she feels kinda weak in PM.

yeah the melee and brawl engines are worlds different so even with all of PM teams brilliant work its not going to feel like melee. Seems ppl quickly get used to it far as I can tell though.
A lot of my techskill did indeed carry over as I get more used to it, like double shines are still very easy, or shine nair spam, uthrow uair consistency etc. Still though like Hyper said I'm going to restrain my fox to Melee for consistencies sake, I just cant do it lol.

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark out today
No competitive PvP multiplayer from what I'm hearing, only Escalation (Horde Mode) and campaign co-op.

Literally took out the best part of the Cybertron games and the only reason most people bother turning it on nowadays. Rental.

/offtopic

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero

The primary difference is control sensitivity. PM's control stick is more sensitive; since you're used to being rougher on the stick in melee, your muscle memory is ****ing you up. You'll get used to the different timings and sensitivity If you put effort into doing so. And if you play both games regularly they won't affect your play ability for either.
There are other differences too, but they mostly boil down to learning to control your character properly in PM instead of the exact same inputs as Melee. Like WD OoS. If you hold one trigger all the way down to shield then wavedash with the other without releasing the first one, PM won't recognize the second full-press trigger input as a different one- it thinks both full presses are the same button. So you'd have to relearn to partially release one trigger before pressing the other.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
The primary difference is control sensitivity. PM's control stick is more sensitive; since you're used to being rougher on the stick in melee, your muscle memory is ****ing you up. You'll get used to the different timings and sensitivity If you put effort into doing so. And if you play both games regularly they won't affect your play ability for either.
There are other differences too, but they mostly boil down to learning to control your character properly in PM instead of the exact same inputs as Melee. Like WD OoS. If you hold one trigger all the way down to shield then wavedash with the other without releasing the first one, PM won't recognize the second full-press trigger input as a different one- it thinks both full presses are the same button. So you'd have to relearn to partially release one trigger before pressing the other.

Lol shields are a bit weird in PM I noticed. The input timing differences do kinda **** me up since I'm still new to PM, but as far as playing both games regularly, it wont affect me regardless because I'm keeping my chars separate.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Yeah, I been kinda leaning towards Toon link in PM myself, something about him feels pretty alright lol. Still though that recovery is lmao, I feel like 64 Link while stuck in the air with him. I wanna use Peach but she feels kinda weak in PM.

A lot of my techskill did indeed carry over as I get more used to it, like double shines are still very easy, or shine nair spam, uthrow uair consistency etc. Still though like Hyper said I'm going to restrain my fox to Melee for consistencies sake, I just cant do it lol.
nah man Tink recovery is bonkers
Its just weird and requires a lot of bomb jumping and AGTs.

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
Toon Link feels really nice lol but the recovery really isn't all that bad. The AGT is simple to do if you just use R/L + Up + A. I find extremely easy and consistent to Up-B into bomb by just smashing up on the control stick while performing a shield grab input (R+A). Some people use the C-stick for the throw, but it's really inconsistent for me to do so.
As for Peach, she only feels weak because everyone else is beefed up, but she's the same as before. A friend of mine who mains Peach in Melee says the same thing until I have to bring out Peach and give his PM main a whooping. I'm sure with time the Peaches can adapt.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Smash Bros. update today is one damn ugly Skyward Sword inspired Link costume.

Mr. Game and Watch continues to be ignored and not given his proper update. It upsets me I wanted some bacon today.

Last edited:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Yeah, learn to AGT with the C stick if you plan to main Tink. Just using it for bomb jumps is a huge waste of the tech's potential, and glide tossing with the C stick allows you to dodge in one direction whilst throwing your bomb in any other direction. This can be used to stall near the ledge, pester you opponent whilst you recover, approach, &c., &c. It's the movement option which most defines Tink, I'd say.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Yeah, wavedashing is just muscle memory, for the most part. Knowing in when to use for it is more difficult, tbh. The ability to make hard reads and having a lot of matchup knowledge/experience will honestly take you a lot further than a high tech skill in PM. The game's too sandbox to just memorize the best options given the infinite situations, so making judgement calls is really a better measure of the skill and difficulty of the player and his game.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
More movement options open up better defense, better follow-ups, and better mind games, hence the advantages of wavedashing.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
If wave dashing is hard for you, you probably haven't been playing a lot. There are much harder things to do in this game then that.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
No I've been playing for years since like late 08-09 I just find it easier personally that's all.

Also found this little gem of a combo.

Last edited:

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
It would be fine if the streams didn't consist of generic top tiers all the ****ing time.
Yup - this. It's not that big of a deal, but the discussion shouldn't be necessary.
If it's sheik, marth, or fox/falco I always move on to another stream.

edit: Holy crap standardtoaster that mod does work on PM for realsies??
You mean, you'll move off a video because it has any of the above characters? Dude, that's silly. Honestly, I find it fun to watch for a few reasons (I mostly watch the Project M tournaments).
1. It's interesting to see how players will use them, even though the tactics tend to remain the same, but mostly comes down to how strong their execution game is.
2. If they're playing against another player that uses a character that isn't necessarily a high-tier character, or even above Mid-tier I'm always rooting for the underdog. A player that uses a Mid-tier character and is actually very successful is Sethlon.
-
Also, about Super Wave dashing don't know if you still care but here's a video. Project M and here's Super Smash Bros. Melee
Also, here's some more information on the actual method

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman

As someone who started playing PM competitively and then tried moving back to Melee, I can vouch that there is definitely a noticeable difference between the two games, and whichever one you started on is going to feel better than the second one. For instance, to me Melee feels slightly unresponsive and movements seem really clunky... but only because I'm so used to PM. I'd expect someone switching from Melee to PM to notice a difference as well.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Melee feels like **** to me. Nothing flows well, everything feels clunky and sluggish.

But that's probably because I started with PM (technically I started with Brawl+), and not Melee. Had I come from Melee first, I'd have preferred that.

We DO have plenty of Melee players that would rather play PM, or feel that PM "feels better". Though some only play PM for specific reasons...Sethlon~

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Eh
Melee feels more like water and not as tight to me. Like when you DD, you don't need to go as fast, it doesn't feel like I'm raming my anolog stick, and it looks and feels a bit more natural.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
When I first went to Melee after a long time of PM, I couldn't do ****. The game didn't flow anything like PM. Obviously I got used to it after a while but damn.
Ooh, new Norfair

That actually looks pretty nice. I mean, I may be one of 3 people in the world who likes the current Norfair, but I'd guess more people would prefer that.

Bazkip

Smash Master
That actually looks pretty nice. I mean, I may be one of 3 people in the world who likes the current Norfair, but I'd guess more people would prefer that.
Yeah I like the current Norfair too, but this is also pretty cool

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I would have to spend a couple of matches to adjust to melee to get used it again after playing PM for soo long cause Melee feels stiff to me at times when I haven't played it in forever.

Top Bottom