• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Also I think people need to move on from 3 stocks, it's clear from how the game is designed that 3 stocks simply doesn't work anymore. Characters live for so long now, in a conscious design choice, it's time people accepted that and use two stocks.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Never disagree with zipso, you'll be sorry.

Can we tAlk About how based wu tang is

Last edited:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
And then when a region actually creates a good unified ruleset they are trying to take over and not allowing experimentation.

East Coast should be waiting around a few years for everyone to flail their arms and fail I guess.

But the argument against custom moves is a simple one: people shouldn't have to learn over 500 variations, not including Miis or the two clones with the same customs, in a game with such a huge roster. This is a very valid point.

If people had their **** together each community would have decided on the best set of custom moves for their particular character already and been practicing with and against that set of moves exclusively. Then any complaints of something being OP wouldn't matter if you know what you're facing in a match every single time.

But like DMG said, the community can't think so clearly.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Never disagree with zipso, you'll be sorry.

Can we tAlk About how based wu tang is
I checked it out, seems like it devolved into a "Which character is more broken!? MK in Brawl or Fox in Melee!?"

Which personally I would say Fox.

But yeah.

Edit:

Regarding combinations, the argument that there's 500 to learn is a tired one. The answer to it is a pretty clear "get over it".

Plus the moves aren't changed that much usually. Zelda's Nayru's variants are still basically Nayru's. etc

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I checked it out, seems like it devolved into a "Which character is more broken!? MK in Brawl or Fox in Melee!?"

But yeah.
As a character? Fox by far. As a character placed in the game/setting around them? Probs MK

Rᴏb

But yeah.
Yeah i disagree but fox is certainly more capable than MK

Last edited:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
"Get over it" is just as bad of an argument as what DMG was talking about.

Just because some people really want something doesn't mean other people have to entertain the idea because customs are so much fun, I love it it's so cool!!!!!

Yeah, that's not why people compete.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
So twitch is kill
and has been kill
so I don't think my combo got recorded.
Softie is kill now

Rᴏb

Can someone turn me in to some rap? I like 90s **** like tribe called Quest and mobb deep and big l.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
"Get over it" is just as bad of an argument as what DMG was talking about.

Just because some people really want something doesn't mean other people have to entertain the idea because customs are so much fun, I love it it's so cool!!!!!

Yeah, that's not why people compete.
soz that's not what i meant

Like, in the Australian forums, we have a 19 or so page thread of cancerous individuals trying to come to an agreement on custom moves, someone brought up the argument of "omfG BUT A THOUSAND CUSTOM MOVES" and it ended up being counter argued with the example of Pokemon and it's 7 million Pokemon and almost infinite amount of move/party combinations.

That's the reason I want to write arguments like that off, because I've heard them already :<

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Can someone turn me in to some rap? I like 90s **** like tribe called Quest and mobb deep and big l I apologize if I'm incomprehensible I'm very far gone.
start here with this freestyle thats better than 90% of the lyrics you'll hear normally
Shad is godlike amazing, listen to everything he has
Or here
Watsky's pretty good, dont know what you're looking for
I'm not too versed in 90's rap tbh, or modern rap that much, I just listen to shad.
Oh and this, I over play this song because the beat is too good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v0vI-7QulQ

Last edited:

Rᴏb

Watsky isn't my thing but the kid certainly has talent. Here's the best rap song from recent memory:

Last edited:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
FML y'all had so much fun I got up at 3pm, went to the bank, and worked from 5 to 4:30 and then biked 4 miles home.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Pokémon is really a strategy game though. It's like playing Magic or something knowing the best counters to whatever type of play your opponent is using. You can use different moves but they fall under an umbrella of strategies in the metagame that you can now use Pokémon Showdown to practice against.

Fighting games are more about consistency and an even playing field. Beating your opponent by being the better player with a set of tools that should have been practiced against. Smash may be complicated at a high level but at an entry level it is valued for being easy to learn, but hard to master. Customs do take away from that too.

Coming up with a weird camping strategy with a custom move nobody thought was useful before may make you the better strategist in the match-up, but it sure doesn't prove your skill level was better overall than your opponent no matter how much people value adaptability.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I care not, the same general logic is there that you should be ready for anything. It's not like the moves are that different anyway.

Regarding camping strats, besides Villager Counter Timber/Pushy Lloid, I can't think of many weird circumstances like that.

B.W.

Smash Champion
people shouldn't have to learn over 500 variations, not including Miis or the two clones with the same customs, in a game with such a huge roster. This is a very valid point.
Marvel players never had a problem with it. All the variations of jank and the thousands of setups in that game is nuts, and they all had to learn it until stuff became solid as far as what the best teams were.

IMO people saying "we shouldn't have to learn" sounds more like "we don't want to learn" which is a piss poor reason for not trying custom moves.

It's one of the curses that comes with being a game where the competitive scene basically makes its own rules, unlike most fighting game which are ready to be played out of the box.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
****, i forgot to sleep again.

I just want to smash but everyone is sleeping still

Last edited:

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
IMO people saying "we shouldn't have to learn" sounds more like "we don't want to learn" which is a piss poor reason for not trying custom moves.
this pr much, everyone's whos against custom moves for this reason is a whiny *****

Smash 4 ruleset i came up in like 12 seconds
-insert possibly good stagelist that counts 2 types of FD Stages; Walled FD Stages (Yoshis Island Brawl FD) and FD Stages (F-Zero Final Destination).
-Depending on how many viable stages we get, count 1 ban towards either Walled/Regular FD stages, or 1 ban bans both versions
-2 stock 5 minutes. The game is certainly faster than brawl, but at the same time, the gameplay is still slow enough + long survival times, losing a stock early still gives you enough time to comeback
-Custom Moves allowed. anyone who complains gets beaten up and their booty touched (with consent, this part is very important)
-IDK **** about equipment so thats up in the air.
-Dont listen to anything Tristate puts out, otherwise we'll get another brawl situation

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Marvel players never had a problem with it.
Speaking as a player since late MvC2's metagame, baloney.
They complain as much or MORE than Smashers do while still getting hit with setups and tools that are the same, close to the same, and/or logical variations of things that were common 3 and half years ago when the game(the 1st one that is) came out, and they're also even worse about just copying tactics that work instead of coming up with stuff of their own.

Man-children and woman-children everywhere I turn.

I see free will and freedom of choice as errors to be corrected because people choose to do evil and/or dumb things like this crap. I'm also a well-intentioned extremist to the point that it unsettles other people and ME, so...

Maybe players wouldn't have any problems if they actually played and improved instead of going against the foundational tenet of
NO JOHNS

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I would like to see alternate specials legal myself.
My only gripe is the grind for unlocking them thanks to some.... questionable design choices.
Grinding for all of them(especially if RNG based things hate you) is a great way to get sick of the game really quickly.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I got 2nd at my local in PM yesturday mostly using Zelda with some Roy,Snake and Charizard for some matchups. The more I play PM and other games the more I realize that I love to turtle and torment people, am I a bad person for that?

Also very late with this but happy late Halloween.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Pm social is boring today, Ill go back to playing pm with lvl 1 cpus

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
I got 2nd at my local in PM yesturday mostly using Zelda with some Roy,Snake and Charizard for some matchups. The more I play PM and other games the more I realize that I love to turtle and torment people, am I a bad person for that?
Patience is a virtue

Except in friendlies
I get a lot of flak for ledge camping in friendlies

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Approaching is bad
slowly gain stage advantage, use that to take control/momentum and then go in. Turtleing is smarter than trying to ram your face into them

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
You camp the ledge in friendlies?

You're disgusting and should be burned on a steak.
While I understand how it can be frustrating, it's not like anybody's going to keep themselves from camping the ledge in bracket, and it's a good tactic precisely because it's frustrating. When you do it enough, people eventually let you on stage for free, so that's a plus.

EDIT: Also, is anybody good in organic chemistry? I need to know whether the enantiomer of a dextrorotatory molecule is levorotatory or if it's completely irrelevent.

EDIT2: Nevermind, figured it out.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
While I understand how it can be frustrating, it's not like anybody's going to keep themselves from camping the ledge in bracket, and it's a good tactic precisely because it's frustrating. When you do it enough, people eventually let you on stage for free, so that's a plus.
I'd play you.

Never fought anyone who camps the ledge so I could use the practice.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Oh I know lol.

Kinda just wanted to say that steak line for some reason.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
i was talking to my brother about robin

and we both kinda came to the same conclusion

robin is a character that is good on paper but in reality just kinda leaves you with the impression of "oh. ok."

how does a ***** with so many good tools end up so mediocre lmfao

its like a dog that's all bark and no bite

my circle pad is already RIP

;_;
As someone who plays Robin I can agree with that so far. Once Wii U version drops we can roll cancel grab more and do retreating fair and Dacus.

I have to say, the Smash community has been worse than expected when it comes to creating a ruleset for Smash 4. I know a lot is up for grabs with the new version coming out, but seriously the massive sh*tstorm over stock counts and custom moves is silly. I've come to the conclusion that the Smash community overall is TERRIBLE at properly putting forth arguments for their philosophies/ideologies.

Perfect examples: (these are all actual quotes, typed by living human beings who are considered "good" Smashers)

- 2 stocks is way too fast. [This is his entire comment on facebook. This is literally his rebuttal]

(^^Thank you for explaining WHY it's too fast, or what the gameplay issue is)

- 3 stocks is better than 2 stocks. [This is also a singular comment, no reasoning put forth]

- We shouldn't allow custom moves, because some of the might be broken [Ok, why not test them out and ban any of the OP ones that come along?]

- Custom moves are janky [Explain the jank. How are they a problem competitively? How extensively have you played with them?]

- Custom moves should always only be a side event *Another person replied with "Why do you say that?" Reply: "Because Custom moves aren't "Smash"
That is hilarious good old smash community and their dumb arguments lmao. Also about stocks I'm on the two stock train with 5-6 minutes. Enough of the 3/4 stock 8 minute garbage with games need to move on from it.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Smash community might be an aight place, but we ain't the brightest bunch. Been going around many streams and such, and holy **** sometimes the streamer is more carcinogen than the chat itself.

Now the rest of the post I was gonna make got eaten up by Smashboards maintenance last night, and I don't remember what I ranted about in full detail.

But yeah, some of the stuff I've been hearing about why customs shouldn't be a thing are very funny. I think only Zero provided a decent explanation of why he's against them for now (for Wii U version) since it's such a hassle getting them and not every setup might have certain moves that a player might need.

There's also an alarmingly high amount of misinformation running rampant, specially about rage. When you've got commentators constantly repeating "ohhhh and rage is in effect people it's all over", no **** people will start thinking like it's as strong as x-factor or something. Not to mention they always associate it with the steaming effect which has nothing to do with it.

Oh, and I'm not sure where the **** this OCD for tiers came from, but it's starting to get really annoying and ridiculous. We've got half the cast cycling in people's top 5 on a daily basis when people haven't even seen what 80% of characters are capable of. Not even the tier list thread here is that stupid, and I used to think that place was unbearable cancer

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
What zero said about those moves is pretty much what I've been saying. If it became easy to share save files and or pass them w/e I would be fine with the idea.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
From what I've read on rage, it's nowhere near the effect of X-Factor. I think that there's any kind of influence like this on knockback at all (which is already very complex on its own before considering DI) is stupid, but it doesn't seem to be that potent.

Top Bottom