• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

MLGF

Smash Lord
Kinda came to the realization that the only time I ever play Meta Knight anymore is to counter campy ass characters like Mario and Link.

Seriously, it's kinda sad I need a character just to move around camping. 3.5 where are you?

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
@ Soft Serve Soft Serve So they didn't enable archiving?

I should have created a PMDepot video to raise awareness like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWYt8niWHzM
They couldn't connect to twitch well, ASU internet doesn't like twitch and blocks it for some reason. It used to be just chat but now we cant get on it at all.
I dont know if it got archived because I cant load the page to see. It'd be twitch.tv/azmeleecommunity. like 1 hour 45 min into the recording I want to say, winners round 2, right after friendlies between Tai and Mexray (with a guy named Hero on the commentary, iirc). I doubt its there but yeah.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Just finished The Devil is a Part Timer and found out there were light novels

I

Must

READ

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Wow man, someone suggests speeding up the game a little bit and opening up movement options and everyone thinks you want Melee 2.0
We all sincerely apologize for wanting a game where we can MOVE & CONTROL the character without having to shield to stop every 3 seconds, especially now that triping is gone.
Yeah, Smash 4 will still be played the way Nintendo intended, but god forbid any suggestions to speed up the game a tad are made cause you know its not Melee 2.0 20XXherpaderpsuperarcade50fightersedition.
~ Written by your favorite Melee purist ~​
You don't need to shield to stop momentum of movement on the ground.

Custom equipment are terrible because they are inherently random in balancing out, all of them are which is what Nintendo told us straight up int he tree house how there are borderline countless number of equipment.

Custom Movesets are simple and easy to account for, Equipment are not and create huge issues in how to unlock and balance them out.

The game is fine.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
What @ KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer why are you under the impression fox is more "broken" in Melee than MK in brawl, I don't understand. Fox splits an even-at-worst spread with falco in Melee, MK doesn't split that with anyone in brawl.
Unless you mean Fox in a vacuum is better than MK in a vacuum. Which is a statement that makes no sense.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Melee Fox vs Brawl Meta Knight... hmm... well there's only one way to figure that out. Let's...

Settle it in Smash!

...oh wait...

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
What @ KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer why are you under the impression fox is more "broken" in Melee than MK in brawl, I don't understand. Fox splits an even-at-worst spread with falco in Melee, MK doesn't split that with anyone in brawl.
Unless you mean Fox in a vacuum is better than MK in a vacuum. Which is a statement that makes no sense.
Not sure what you're asking, Fox is just a more broken character. People quoted before Fox's fall speed as a weakness (and reason?) why Fox wasn't more broken than MK, but MK's fall speed and aerial movement speed is less than ideal.

MK is easy to deal with, people are just bad or use bad characters.

Melee Fox vs Brawl Meta Knight... hmm... well there's only one way to figure that out. Let's...

Settle it in Smash!

...oh wait...
Let's just port MK to Melee imo

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
ummm
it started last night at 8 pm mountain time, so like 23 hours ago
There's bits and pieces as the streamed seem to go in and out, though around possibly 50 minutes total

This is why you use OBS and have it save a local copy.. especially after you know the stream has been wonking out

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
I'll always hold that all Fox players should just go to Wolf.
Not that Fox is the worse of the two, he's clearly not, but god damn Wolf's fun factor invalidates Fox.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Not sure what you're asking, Fox is just a more broken character. People quoted before Fox's fall speed as a weakness (and reason?) why Fox wasn't more broken than MK, but MK's fall speed and aerial movement speed is less than ideal.

MK is easy to deal with, people are just bad or use bad characters.

Let's just port MK to Melee imo
What. Broken is a relative term. You are looking at them in a vacuum and not how they compare to other characters with their respective game's mechanics. You can't just count weaknesses and whoever has the lowest number wins, it's not ****ing golf lol. Fox doesn't dominate nearly as hard as MK, and has a falco with a very similar matchup spread to him making the overall meta centralized around two characters instead of one.
I feel like you are coming to a conclusion based on frame data alone, "fox has 1 frame shine he's more broken" or arguments of that manner. But fox's shine at least isn't disjointed... like a sword. But none of that matters- it's not a valid comparison anyways.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I'll always hold that all Fox players should just go to Wolf.
Not that Fox is the worse of the two, he's clearly not, but god damn Wolf's fun factor invalidates Fox.
They're really different tbh, I'd say that falco players should switch to wolf, and fox players feel more at home with lucas. Wolf doesn't have the nair-hitbox to go crazy in your face, and even though his movement is godlike his kit is combo based like falco, not reset/tech-chase/pressure based like fox.

They are fun in different ways. Wolf is rewarding in a "damn, i pulled off a sick combo" way while fox is like "yeah, I covered all your tech options properly like 4 times during that string, now watch me nair plane>upsmash you across the stage" sort of rewarding

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
What. Broken is a relative term. You are looking at them in a vacuum and not how they compare to other characters with their respective game's mechanics. You can't just count weaknesses and whoever has the lowest number wins, it's not ****ing golf lol. Fox doesn't dominate nearly as hard as MK, and has a falco with a very similar matchup spread to him making the overall meta centralized around two characters instead of one.
I feel like you are coming to a conclusion based on frame data alone, "fox has 1 frame shine he's more broken" or arguments of that manner. But fox's shine at least isn't disjointed... like a sword. But none of that matters- it's not a valid comparison anyways.
Fox and Falco are clones tho, so...

I don't understand why people who never played brawl want to weigh in on this subject at all, especially when usage data literally says "comparatively Fox is used more than Meta Knight" and that's even with clone Falco existing!

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I think MK is far more broken than fox on the virtue of his frame data alone. I've also played brawl mk against fox in PM and lol.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
They're really different tbh, I'd say that falco players should switch to wolf, and fox players feel more at home with lucas. Wolf doesn't have the nair-hitbox to go crazy in your face, and even though his movement is godlike his kit is combo based like falco, not reset/tech-chase/pressure based like fox.

They are fun in different ways. Wolf is rewarding in a "damn, i pulled off a sick combo" way while fox is like "yeah, I covered all your tech options properly like 4 times during that string, now watch me nair plane>upsmash you across the stage" sort of rewarding
Wolf is too different than both of them. And Lucas should be enjoyed by everyone.
Rat Samus/Fox/Sonic/Squirtle > Wolf
Scythe Falco > Wolf
SW Fox > Wolf
Chillen Fox > Wolf
Meta Jiggly > Wolf

Last edited:

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Fox and Falco are clones tho, so...

I don't understand why people who never played brawl want to weigh in on this subject at all, especially when usage data literally says "comparatively Fox is used more than Meta Knight" and that's even with clone Falco existing!
Can you show me where you are getting this data, because going by statistics based on confirmed bracket results says the opposite is true. I worked it out the other day:
But if you're comparing the ratio of MK's usage vs the rest of Brawl's cast to Fox's usage vs the rest of Melee's cast, you're wrong. MK has more usage than the other characters in Brawl by a wider margin (2.1x more likely than the second most used char with subsequent ~.4 increases going down the rest of the cast.) than Fox's usage compared to the other characters in Melee (1.3x more likely than the second most used char with subsequent ~.2 increases going down the rest of the cast.)

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior

I dunno man, I don't like switching from Falco to Wolf, they feel nothing alike. Falco is the elegant "flowcharty" spacie while Wolf is the DIY combo brute. Both are fun but I don't use them too often. I'm hella bad with Wolf and always SD and I just don't like using Falco in PM.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Can you show me where you are getting this data, because going by statistics based on confirmed bracket results says the opposite is true. I worked it out the other day:
I don't remember where I got the data. I think the data was presented differently, it sounds like you're comparing the difference between MK all the way to Ganon and Fox all the way to Kirby, which isn't fair since Brawl has like, eight million more characters.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
I don't remember where I got the data. I think the data was presented differently, it sounds like you're comparing the difference between MK all the way to Ganon and Fox all the way to Kirby, which isn't fair since Brawl has like, eight million more characters.
The more characters there are to choose from the less inflated each character's usage statistics should be, no? The difference becomes greater due to there being a larger margin between the most used character and the least used character, but as long as you only consider the data from the 26 most used characters in Brawl's roster, the larger margin becomes irrelevant. I made my calculations based on the top 6 most used characters in Brawl and Melee, so there isn't any inflation.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
The more characters there are to choose from the less inflated each character's usage statistics should be, no? The difference becomes greater due to there being a larger margin between the most used character and the least used character, but as long as you only consider the data from the 26 most used characters in Brawl's roster, the larger margin becomes irrelevant. I made my calculations based on the top 6 most used characters in Brawl and Melee, so there isn't any inflation.
idk i just remember seeing a % picked number with fox being higher.

maybe its changed now that only tryhard mk players haven't moved on to smash 4 nao

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Smash 4 has a pretty bad newcomer roster beyond the star power of the guest stars, and the loss of Wolf does suck yeah.

A total lack of villains (except for a quasi-villain in the return of Mewtwo within six months if you count that), a lot of noncharacters in Villager, WiiFit, Miis and wtf stuff like Dog Hunt (yes I meant it) who lacks the charm of previous wtfs like G&W, Ice Climbers and ROB.

Sure I'm sure some people love Greninja and crap but it just is weaker in newcomers than previous entries.

Oh I guess Bowser Jr. is a villain lol, but a lame one.

Last edited:

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
I seriously am torn on my main because the roster for sm4sh is just... so disappointing. My fast favorite characters have been Ganon, Mewtwo and Wolf, and now I only have one to choose from. Idk. I just wish/hope I could have all 3 in one game.

And yeah none of the newcomers are cool to me. I don't know why. Duck hunt dog is creative and wacky sure but man I don't wanna use him.

I don't know where I'm going with this. I'm just being a little *****.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
That feeling when you are only missing 1 random trophy (Boss Galaga) and the game refuses to put it out despite 12+ hours of Trophy Rush and Smash Run. 682 is such an incomplete number.

The currently existing trophy guides are so incomplete. Like, I had to go to an alternate language site to learn that the last 2 OTHER trophies show up after clearing the last challenge page and getting all equipment/specials/headgear.

And people say that Destiny's grinding is bad.

Once I 100% this game, I am never playing it again, and won't play the Wii U version either.
I got a lot of feedback on my recent abject failures in Marvel, so I'm gonna work on those right after I finish this.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
That moment when you finally realize that every day you care less and less about life

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
That isn't how you do statistical analysis and creates bias on one end.

You don't cut off the bottom 13 because it has a larger cast. You account for it and check both sides.

Melee has a smoother top end, even with Fox dominating larger than MK does, Brawl has an overall smoother cast outside of MK in terms of a slope.

Brawl has a larger % of the cast show up morre often, Melee has a larger % of consistent cast that shows up at the top end but in lower number than Brawl does in terms of character number.

This will change when virtually everyone goes to smash 4 but the point remains, you don't trim off the bottom cast because it has a larger cast.

MK is more broken than Fox because Melee can handle Fox, Brawl really can't deal well with MK. And despite this Brawl still had a larger variety with character usage.

I don't care which game is better with perspective, I care how you are looking data like this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom