• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
It use to have pretty insightful discussions, but now it's just "Hey look at me down smash a nub" or "Look what happened during for glory!"

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
People are getting into Gurren Lagann

Good

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Why do you use the weird translated titles of anime
You wouldn't call Les Misérables The Miserables

Lizalfos

Smash Master
idk i just remember seeing a % picked number with fox being higher.

maybe its changed now that only tryhard mk players haven't moved on to smash 4 nao
This is obviously pages old, but I wanted to point out that when you say that "well now only tryhards who haven't quit yet are playing MK", it suggests that people who weren't playing MK weren't even that invested in the game anyway; maybe didn't care that much about the game competitively. I would think that just as many people are tryhards in Brawl as Melee, so honestly it comes down to in which game tryhards feel more obligated to sellout to the top tier. Trying to base your argument around the tryhardiness of each community is a subjective framework for your argument. Even if I did accept that framework, you immediately start to lose when I point out that there is more money in Melee right now, and more reason to "try hard".

And Falco isn't a clone
even with clone Falco existing!
I will fight you IRL over this.
  • different combos
  • different mobility
  • different weight
  • different fall speed
And even if you are one of those people who are like "o does r only stat changes" or "only unique specials unclone" there are also.
  • Shine acts differently when opponent is hit. (I suppose the idea is the same tho; both char's shines are combo starter/extenders)
  • Up-b is far more challenging to recover with (This is like saying Mew2 and Shiek have the same recovery)
  • SIDEWAYS MUTHA ****ING TRANCENDENT LAZORS WITH HITSTUN???
Mobility, different combos, and stun lasers alone make falco a whole different character.
If you saw Falco as similar to Mario and Luigi as similar to Fox from playstyle perspectives, I'm sure this would be easier to visualize. Unless you think Luigi is green Mario Aerodrome you are dead to me

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
that anime started a religion.

Darn STRAIGHT.
Because it sounds cooler. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'm starting to develop trust issues.
Then you're still rational. Keep it that way.
That moment when you finally realize that every day you care less and less about life
*Petty squabbles/conflict/stupidity as concepts, and immature people/their feelings/problems in general, for me.

Compassion is a pointless waste of time, resources, and relative calm.(in my experience)...I'm aware how callous that sounds, and that doesn't make it any less correct.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Damn Lizalfos went ham about the Falco not being a clone thing.

Also if anyone cares at all GAMEacho uploaded a video of FGC airdasher basketball yesterday. An hour and 3 minutes of Hokoto No Ken( Fist of the North Star) FG footage.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Cause Falco is beautiful. I wonder if he will receive any direct changes for 3.5, since he already has a kinda unfavorable recovery. There are so few Falcos on P:M streams, he feels like jiggs where you know he is still good, but other characters either are just as good/have only one less jump than jiggs.

Maybe its cause he is sort of boring compared to other characters. He doesn't get all the fancy AGT adv techs like Diddy (when he actually goes in) .
It's fine though, he gets the secretly op wavebounce buff. If people think fighting Jiggs is annoying for the 2 characters who don't have the tools for the matchup, with spaced bairs and all, they aren't ready for spaced, far traveling, transcendent, wavebounce lasers.

The end is nigh.

And I went ham because Falco is a penguin and Fox is a flying squirrel, those things are not even remotely similar, much less could you clone one species from another with an entirely different genome. The only way you could accomplish such a feat is with heavy genetic modification, and thats why we ban custom moves.

Last edited:

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
As an avid anime fan I passionately disagree.

one of the things i hate the most is when people / sites insist on NOT translating in some way the Japanese titles and expect westerners not fluent in japanese to remember them and tell them apart. It's not right, man. Especially when most of the english translations for titles are perfectly simple things like, 'The Eccentric Gun Butler' or whathaveyou that make you go "Oh, it's THAT anime. About THAT thing that the title is!'. I mean isn't that reasonable? Instead of looking at a list of anime you're trying to catch back up on and they're allike ANO NO SEKUKEKYOUKU DE ARIMAKUNO YOOOO---****

I also hate the intentional "engrish" titles they come up with. "Attack on Titan"? That's grammatically ridiculous. If I had the americanizing rights to it I'd rename it "Titan Attack" or "Attacking the Titans" or something else that didn't sound absurd and act as a determent to potential ratings. If nobody's thought about it, the most commercially successful amercanized anime all had perfectly simple and sensible english titles from the getgo because it's the title that usually gives the first and most important impression to a potential viewer.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
well no because you would call it "The Miserable Ones" instead. φ(゜゜)ノ゜

i dont have time to respond to lizalfos (((・・;)

emotes ( ̄▽ ̄;)

Edit: LOOK AT MY BEUATIFUL EMOTES GET RUINED BY THIS GARBAGE FORUM SOFTWARE DIE DIE REPENT SINNER REPENT THOUGH IT SHALL SAVE YOU NOT

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
Sometimes some Engrish can be fine, makes things feel foreign.
Other times, it can be hilariously stupid.

Either way, I'm fine.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
well no because you would call it "The Miserable Ones" instead. φ(゜゜)ノ゜

i dont have time to respond to lizalfos (((・・;)

emotes ( ̄▽ ̄;)

Edit: LOOK AT MY BEUATIFUL EMOTES GET RUINED BY THIS GARBAGE FORUM SOFTWARE DIE DIE REPENT SINNER REPENT THOUGH IT SHALL SAVE YOU NOT
I await the day that we can meet in person. Money match, loser pays the other's medical expenses.

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
As an avid anime fan I passionately disagree.

one of the things i hate the most is when people / sites insist on NOT translating in some way the Japanese titles and expect westerners not fluent in japanese to remember them and tell them apart. It's not right, man. Especially when most of the english translations for titles are perfectly simple things like, 'The Eccentric Gun Butler' or whathaveyou that make you go "Oh, it's THAT anime. About THAT thing that the title is!'. I mean isn't that reasonable? Instead of looking at a list of anime you're trying to catch back up on and they're allike ANO NO SEKUKEKYOUKU DE ARIMAKUNO YOOOO---****

I also hate the intentional "engrish" titles they come up with. "Attack on Titan"? That's grammatically ridiculous. If I had the americanizing rights to it I'd rename it "Titan Attack" or "Attacking the Titans" or something else that didn't sound absurd and act as a determent to potential ratings. If nobody's thought about it, the most commercially successful amercanized anime all had perfectly simple and sensible english titles from the getgo because it's the title that usually gives the first and most important impression to a potential viewer.
Most translations are usually wrong in one way or another because the titles are made to be aesthetically pleasing in japanese and that rarely ever translates well into english, so you end up with stuff that sounds like it came out of a light novel title generator. Remembering words isn't hard. Even when I didn't know Japanese I still remembered even the longest ones. Japanese is a very simple language, phonetically speaking, so it's not like trying to remember some title in polish or german.

Everybody should just forget the name Attack on Titan, it's an embarrassment and is wrong anyway. English names just confuse me all the time because I have to think about what it could be in japanese before making the connection with what series we're talking about.

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
Titan Attack sounds worse than Attack on Titan
No it doesn't you big poopyface.

I still get confused about 'Fullmetal Alchemist' when the protagonist was clearly only partially made of metal. Ugh. I HATE anime titles. I swear. I love anime and hate how they are named. Cowboy Bebop was like 1 of maybe 4 well named anime in the history of ever. And I only think the anime itself is B+ as a whole. Just a damn catchy title.

Anyone seen Black Lagoon? Solid name. One of the few dubs I liked enough to buy the dvd set for.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
for the longest time I thought attack on titan was a space opera about planetary warfare
When I read this I imagined Le Miserables but in a Gundam universe, with a rap-opera (like ttgl) meets rock-opera (like queen) soundtrack. I then came buckets.

I can just imagine the main characters fighting a huge space-battle revolution while belting out rock ballads to a opera/beat-boxing mix in the background.

I'd fund it.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Gais, my friend wants to create a account here, but he doesn't know how to resend the confirmation email.
Pls help my friend join the smash 4 hivemind/****storm.

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Doesn't that just mean the protagonist is relatable? What's wrong with that?
No, it means that it's the kind of thing people will daydream about. Have you ever daydreamed about someone kicking open the door of your classroom/workspace, but you did some cool **** then saved the day? A lot of people do. Series like Shingeki no Kyojin or SAO fuel these fantasies. It also panders in other ways, like the gore and deaths. Stuff that a lot of people get hooked on.

Who's going to relate with the main characters? AFAIK there's never been a titan invasion on earth.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
>Not avalible in my country
>Project M is primarially for NTSC Wii's

Why.
It's easy to run a NTSC copy of brawl on any wii. We have region unlocks

No it doesn't you big poopyface.

I still get confused about 'Fullmetal Alchemist' when the protagonist was clearly only partially made of metal. Ugh. I HATE anime titles. I swear. I love anime and hate how they are named. Cowboy Bebop was like 1 of maybe 4 well named anime in the history of ever. And I only think the anime itself is B+ as a whole. Just a damn catchy title.

Anyone seen Black Lagoon? Solid name. One of the few dubs I liked enough to buy the dvd set for.
Dude...The title of Fullmetal Alchemist is a joke. King Bradley gave him the title in a sense of irony, and it applies to the actual title as well.

No, it means that it's the kind of thing people will daydream about. Have you ever daydreamed about someone kicking open the door of your classroom/workspace, but you did some cool **** then saved the day? A lot of people do. Series like Shingeki no Kyojin or SAO fuel these fantasies. It also panders in other ways, like the gore and deaths. Stuff that a lot of people get hooked on.

Who's going to relate with the main characters? AFAIK there's never been a titan invasion on earth.
At least with SAO there's a pretty decent chance of a game actually being made in reality.

Probably not in our lifetimes though. Which sucks.

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
I still get confused about 'Fullmetal Alchemist' when the protagonist was clearly only partially made of metal. Ugh.
'Fullmetal Alchemist' is the translation of 'Hagane no Renkinjutsushi'.

The word hagane is Japanese for 'steel', which is used metaphorically in Japanese to refer to stubborn or obstinate people. It was translated as 'fullmetal' as a reference to a full metal jacket, a type of bullet which, due to it's construction, has a tendency to pierce through soft targets entirely rather than expanding and becoming trapped in them - a parallel to Edward's tendency to proceed laterally and directly through the world that he lives in to achieve his goals.

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
I still get confused about 'Fullmetal Alchemist' when the protagonist was clearly only partially made of metal. Ugh. I HATE anime titles. I swear.
Ed's called Fullmetal because of his stubborn and adamant disposition, since that's what the phrase comes to mean in Japan. It's just a punny kind of thing that doesn't really translate well here.

EDIT: Bleck has killed me

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Dude...The title of Fullmetal Alchemist is a joke. King Bradley gave him the title in a sense of irony, and it applies to the actual title as well.
Don't forget that by calling him Fullmetal, it leads to people mistaking Alphonse as Edward, therefore getting Edward all pissy.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Cmon son, there's much more to the characters than that.

I think Attack on Titan is a good show but it's similar to Evagelion and Lost in that it baits you into following the series to find out more about the things it chooses not to go into detail about regardless if those things happen to be significant to the plot. Pretty cheap tactic imo, but I can't deny that it doesn't work, at least on me it does. I think AoT has a lot of potential and the first season isn't going to be reflective of the entire series, but that may be me having high expectations. If the subsequent seasons continue to solely feature giant monster fights, little exposition, action action action, and static characters I'm gonna be so ****in disappointed.

Like, if the only significant development Erin goes through is that he can turn into a Titan, just ****ing kill me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom