• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
Self-Insert doesn't really mean relatable, from my understanding it usually implies that while a character may see some development or interesting scenarios, most of the decision making and storytelling heavily encourages self-insertion instead of actually showcasing real personality traits or quirks. In other words the characters are Tabula-Rasa Plus, so to speak, often put into predictable and redundant scenarios that rarely lead to any kind of deeper understanding of character. Coincidentally alot of Shonen-Jump titles (and Twilight/teen fantasy as a whole) are accused of belonging in this category, in fact a fair-portion of them can almost be said to have the same main-character and supporting roles, with differences in setting being the only way to differentiate the plots. This doesn't mean the shows are bad, they all have their moments, and in some cases really do have exceptional story-telling, but, in many peoples' eyes, this simply covers up what they feel are oft-flavorless and borderline empty main roles.

TLDR: Self insert is more akin to, this main character's personality doesn't really matter or impact the plot, and the plot moves along based on other events around them; therefore I can then easily pretend I am the main character and make the same or different decisions without changing the plotline significantly.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
i wouldn't mind some self-insertion right now i tell you hwut

So my entire 4th gen OU team is in UU, minus brelloom. Gotta love the pogeman power creep.

I'm going to try to get into VGC today i think.

Last edited:

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
Dude somebody fight me in sm4sh. Like for reals. Does nobody honestly in this thread trade codes and beat each other up now and again? Where else on the interwebs would facilitate this besides smashboards?

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Dude somebody fight me in sm4sh. Like for reals. Does nobody honestly in this thread trade codes and beat each other up now and again? Where else on the interwebs would facilitate this besides smashboards?
smash 4 threads? Facebook? Maybe AllisBrawl? Smashlounge.com? M2k's new website (dont know what its called)

1FD

Smash Ace
the OTHER scocial threads exist and other smashes exist?

Makes sense that self-insertion would be hyperpopular and spammy as a trend right now and often.
Need more good stories

What are your top 10 stories on the criteria of them being centered around meaningful things? @ GaretHax GaretHax @ MechWarriorNY MechWarriorNY
and others too...

Like stories where the decisions the characters make, or how/why people do what they do rather than what they do bluntly, is the main thing to be taken away from the story experience.
I guess... Top 5-10 stories with solid driving forces behind them that are something you feel has substance that can induce insight or changes in people for the better.
I only know of a few, got a hankering for some good stories on my travels.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
What episode does Gurren Lagann actually get good?

Cause I watched the first bunch and didn't like it after the fairly entertaining episode 1.

Kamina is an annoying jerkass. Yoko has all her personality stored in her mammaries apparently, Simon starts off looking like an inquisitive kid but is actually a meek, fearful nonentity. And Leeron is just a stereotype.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
What episode does Gurren Lagann actually get good?

Cause I watched the first bunch and didn't like it after the fairly entertaining episode 1.

Kamina is an annoying jerkass. Yoko has all her personality stored in her mammaries apparently, Simon starts off looking like an inquisitive kid but is actually a meek, fearful nonentity. And Leeron is just a stereotype.
Simon breaks that sterotype really fast.if you don't enjoy kaminas character I can understand why the beginning is rough. It gets super good episodes 6 to 8 imo, once the battles start going. Before that it's introducing characters and setting up the story and such.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Self-Insert doesn't really mean relatable, from my understanding it usually implies that while a character may see some development or interesting scenarios, most of the decision making and storytelling heavily encourages self-insertion instead of actually showcasing real personality traits or quirks. In other words the characters are Tabula-Rasa Plus, so to speak, often put into predictable and redundant scenarios that rarely lead to any kind of deeper understanding of character. Coincidentally alot of Shonen-Jump titles (and Twilight/teen fantasy as a whole) are accused of belonging in this category, in fact a fair-portion of them can almost be said to have the same main-character and supporting roles, with differences in setting being the only way to differentiate the plots. This doesn't mean the shows are bad, they all have their moments, and in some cases really do have exceptional story-telling, but, in many peoples' eyes, this simply covers up what they feel are oft-flavorless and borderline empty main roles.

TLDR: Self insert is more akin to, this main character's personality doesn't really matter or impact the plot, and the plot moves along based on other events around him; therefore I can then easily pretend I am the main character and make the same or different decisions without changing the plotline significantly.
At first I was like "Nah Nah Nah, SJ heroes aint like that!"

Then I remembered I only read like half the manga in it.

EDIT: SO HYPED FOR HI-FI CLUSTER THO

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
I want a more visually accurate animation of Samus' F-Smash because right now it doesn't pull back before you can act out of it but it looks like you shouldn't. The endlag is fine. I want the same treatment for F-Tilt too. When we played some SSB64 they had an obvious but powerful attack + finish.
Yeah, which is why Samus is booty butt cheeks in 64 among other reasons.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363

So my entire 4th gen OU team is in UU, minus brelloom. Gotta love the pogeman power creep.

I'm going to try to get into VGC today i think.
Very lewd and dude get into VGC it's very fun and I know that feeling as well my Gen 4 OU team is UU or worse outside of like 1 to 2. It was Aerodactly, Jolteon, Suicune, Jirachi, Gengar, and Breloom.

smash 4 threads? Facebook? Maybe AllisBrawl? Smashlounge.com? M2k's new website (dont know what its called)
There's also Anther's online ladder which it has smash 4 3ds as well. http://www.smashladder.com/

Also Allisbrawl is now known as Nintendodojo.com
The red stockings/arm warmers. They look nice and comfy.
I respect that. The colors I use are the polka dotted gloves costume for Pac-Man.

Also I just found out by somebody who found out from some random dude on Reddit that Robin has a jump refresh type scenario with his/ her double jump similar to Falcon/Ganon in melee/PM and charging thunder all the way to Arcthunder then use your double jump then charge your book to Thoron in the air then afterwards you will regain a jump. Kirby can also do this as well if he copy Robin's thunder spells but instead of 1 jump Kirby gets all his jumps back.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
@ Gamegenie222 Gamegenie222 Yeah my 4th gen team was anti-lead sub/encore machamp, brelloom, chesto-rest kingdra, bronzong, Expert belt mix-ape, and I think jolteon. VGC is hard to get into.

damn that robin tech is cool, I'm glad more characters get to live longer

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
I was mentioned.
Why?
In any case, here's my perspective on whatever that post seemed to be about, in 2 bullet points.

2. I do not care about this stuff and don't want to be associated with things like that, at all.
I don't want these kinds of things to even be relevant to me.
...So they aren't, because I actively distance myself.

It doesn't matter to me, and I don't even want these concepts and my name in the same sentences.
Looking at how people like that get, can you blame me?

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Adaptability U-turn off 150 atk. damnnnn

I was hype for mega-glaile, because it'll be pretty cool with the strongest explosion in the game due to refrigerate, plus access to taunt, and has spikes and potentially screens. I just wish it had better typing, or coverage. right now all it has is ice attacks, EQ and iron head. I wish it got extreamespeed somehow, or was ice/dark with sucker-punch. Right now its niche will be taunting walls that do no dmg, getting a layer or two of spikes, then blowing up on something, while also having the ability to revenge kill flying/dragon types with ice shard I guess. Sucks that even fully invested, ice shard can just barely 2hk0 standard defog crobat after rocks. base 100 speed is nice, I just think they could have given him something more without making him broken. I mean look at him, what doesn't scream ice/dark? Refrigerate extreme speed would be so good instead, but now all he gets is a strong gigaimpact/explosion/double edge. Mono-ice sucks enough already, adding dark and giving him suckerpunch wouldn't hurt him other than being weak to u-turn and faries who he shouldn't be in on unless he's going to blow up to begin with
edit: Refrigerate return/body slam are cool i guess.

Mega-lopunny just looks like a better ambipon, mega while you fake out> swing for damage, scrappy fighting stabs would be cool if she got closecombat. Scrappy high-jump kick is nice though.

Wheres my mega-tropious :'( Its never going to happen, this would be the gen-remake to release it. No dragon/grass for me until next gen i guess.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
@ Gamegenie222 Gamegenie222 Yeah my 4th gen team was anti-lead sub/encore machamp, brelloom, chesto-rest kingdra, bronzong, Expert belt mix-ape, and I think jolteon. VGC is hard to get into.

damn that robin tech is cool, I'm glad more characters get to live longer
I ran suicide stealth rock Aerodactly, Choice Scarf Iron Head Jirachi with Draco Meteor for dragons, Jolteon with light clay and light screen and thunder wave, a rest calm mind phazing Suicune, All out attacking Gengar with focus sash and destiny bond and Sub puniching Breloom.

And VGC is hard to get into especially if you been a singles guy like all the time but once you get your gameplan going and playing a couple of matches and use moves you normally dont use then you do fine. I was running trick room cause it's easy and I have experience with it and making the team.

EDIT: And I want a mega tropius as well but if we don't get there's at least mega Sceptile.

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
So, MK can CC Fireballs until like 60% and then punish stupid Mario's who try to approach with essentially anything because of his stupid range.
Why do MK's moan about this matchup? Dead serious, not even hard.

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
So, MK can CC Fireballs until like 60% and then punish stupid Mario's who try to approach with essentially anything because of his stupid range.
Fireball -> grab
Fireball -> Fireball

Until 60%

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Mega Sceptile is Grass/Dragon.
mega sceptile is dead to me though
I'm in serous denial, he didn't deserve it. I would have made him grass/fighting and slap CC onto him or something.
I'll never have my dragon-dancing, flying, banana tree giraffe.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Mario has a chain grab on mk, I believe it goes all the way to death but I'm not sure. Also, Mario's don't even have to approach, and although mk is fast it's pretty hard to approach Mario through a wall of projectiles you can't break.

But I think people tend to overate that match up, no match up is impossible with a godlike character such as Meta knight.

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
I think I'm just gonna play Jiggs and Fox. For the spacing and tech skill respectively. I don't get enough practice against people to practice DI mixups anyway.

Also, if you know a scrub, tell them that Pit is the worst character in the game. I hate having to SDI out of EVERY SINGLE MOVE PIT HAS, pls. Flaco doesn't want to have your multihit moves.

Last edited:

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Played a few games of sm4sh vs Holy, learned a surprising amount about Sheik.
Fthrow is pretty darn good.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I think I'm just gonna play Jiggs and Fox. For the spacing and tech skill respectively. I don't get enough practice against people to practice DI mixups anyway.

Also, if you know a scrub, tell them that Pit is the worst character in the game. I hate having to SDI out of EVERY SINGLE MOVE PIT HAS, pls. Flaco doesn't want to have your multihit moves.
Just main fox man, the only MU's puff does better are marth and samus, Fox beats everyone else just as well or better than puff does.
a pocket puff is cool for CPing marth when he takes you to FoD and in doubles if you need to stock tank better/play support, but thats all lol.

And yes, pit is silly

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Puff does better Vs Sheik and Peach IIRC.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Played a few games of sm4sh vs Holy, learned a surprising amount about Sheik.
Fthrow is pretty darn good.
Shiek is mad good also alot of smash 4 discussion and salt went on today. Some of the top players in Japan like Rain and Nietono are dropping their mains for Shiek thinking she's SS+ tier and bandwagonners are popping are gonna get on that train. Also Zero went on a rant about Lucario and rage today on his stream as well.

Welcome to Fighting Games 2009 onward lol.

Last edited:

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
I've liked Sheik since the best buy demo bandwagonners pls go and stay go

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Puff does better Vs Sheik and Peach IIRC.
Peach definetly, yeah i can see that. Shiek is 60/40 for both though, puff/peach is somewhere around 70/30, although (i think it was armada) recently said he thinks its not to bad, closer to 60/40. fox/peach varies from 70/30 on yoshi's/dreamland to even on FD, so idk.
Developing two characters just to do slightly better in one MU on specific stages doesn't feel worth it to me.

Top Bottom