• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
2 stocks are reasonable now, because unlike past games, we have something almost-tourney-standard that's official, that being for glory mode

thus, it's a bit more assumed that this was the ruleset nintendo likely balanced certain character aspects around, and beyond obvious stuff like stage lists (because ewwww no FD-only 'das gross) it's an easy template to work around

don't cling to it, obviously, but it's a good, clean start that makes sure nobody whines and argues about nothing for the first year of this game's existence

e: also, 3ds should have all customization on, wii u should have them off, allowing for both sides to play nice, while working within reasonable tournament logistics (custom moves on the wii u would be a pain to handle by TOs, even with the 3ds transfer, whereas everyone's bringing their own 3ds for their character choice anyhow)

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
It doesn't compare to x-factor but people sure are believing it does because of commentators and top players shoehorning the word rage in every sentence. Max rage adds 10 units of knockback on certain moves iirc. It's not like aura which will kill in a few hits at maximum potency.

Shoutouts to Aerodrome almost losing his sanity when rage was first brought up

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Miis should be legal too with this line of thinking, cause they are pick your move the fighter. Unlocking stuff is an issue in every Smash game, if people don't have save files ready that is on them and not a good reason to ban in and of itself if consistency isn't the skill being tested anymore.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Custom moves are particularly bad this time around compared to say, characters and stages which are easier than ever to unlock now.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
I've heard rumors of people trying to hack the save data and distribute 0-stat-boost special items for 50% reduced landing lag (autocanceling), weaker rolls, and to enable dashdancing. If these changes prove feasible and become tournament standard, we could be looking at a very different game.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Miis should not be legal cause there are no defaults and the logistics involved in getting one loaded (in the Wii U version at least) take longer than making a set of a real character with the desired alternate specials.
If the MIi doesn't exist on the Wii U, you either have to leave the game and go to the Mii Channel to make one, or if we're lucky, we can transfer it from the 3ds.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Melee had some really difficult requirements to unlock some of its stages. I will admit that RNG isn't fun when looking to complete custom movesets, but the difficulty behind doing so isn't unmanageable.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
New Death Battle is out. As for the smash 4 ruleset discussion I can understand about setups not having all the customs which will be an issue especially in the first few months and hope that Nintendo has an option to allow people to unlock all the custom moves for about 5-6 bucks for the lazy and for T.O's if we do allow customs so we don't have to worry about having all of them as much. About rage in here it's whatever so far and people crying about I tell them play Tekken 6/Tekken Tag 2 and UMVC3 and deal with rage/x-factor in marvel and cry about it to me then lol.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I've heard rumors of people trying to hack the save data and distribute 0-stat-boost special items for 50% reduced landing lag (autocanceling), weaker rolls, and to enable dashdancing. If these changes prove feasible and become tournament standard, we could be looking at a very different game.
Practically no shield stun and large blastzones are much more of an issue than the above imo. A certain form of dashdancing is already possible involving foxtrots and there are other forms of movement with perfect pivots and stuff (which were already possible in Melee, granted much harder than normal dashdance and wavedash). I'd also like for a tad increase in hitstun and I think we'd be gold.

As for rolls, they are still rolls. People will catch on how to punish them in time despite the 2 frame buff. I'm already seeing a lot more rolls getting punished now compared to 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
The organizer sets up 3 Mii types with medium height that everyone uses and sets all their special moves per fight.

Boom, logistics solved.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
I wish copy protection wasn'the a thing. How does one create backup data in case a file is corrupted or a memory card just dies all of a sudden? I know that there are work around for older consoles with AR and GameShark shenanigans, but still, it's beyond necissary.

Bleck

Smash Master
I think forcing people to use certain customizations 'cause they remind people of Melee is stupid

if you wanna use the thing that gives you reduced landing lag, I'm gonna use the thing that gives me a home run bat

MM3K

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM3000
3DS FC
3308-4705-1012
The most feasible way to have custom moves in tournaments would for every participant who uses them to have their own 3DS with everything set up, ready to transfer them to the Wii U, right?

Then what if, for the time being at least, custom move tourneys are held only with 3DS versions of the game? I mean, it's kinda easy to get the custom moves of the character(s) you main (or at least that's my experience with the game so far), and it's going to be hassle to transfer characters between the two versions, that and the people who don't have the option to transfer, by virtue of not having or not wanting the 3DS version, would not be affected by this.

It's definitely not the best solution at all, I guess, but it's the best I can think of right now.

Last edited:

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
I think forcing people to use certain customizations 'cause they remind people of Melee is stupid

if you wanna use the thing that gives you reduced landing lag, I'm gonna use the thing that gives me a home run bat
It isn't about making the game more like melee, at least not to me. Personally it's just slightly more enjoyable as an overall experience, the tradeoff of more feasible combo-game, and faster aerials is well worth the cost of losing the original "intended" experience. Its' all a matter of taste however, which is why a standard set surfacing is unlikely. But IIRC you're a big proponent of giving things a fair chance before shooting them down. Granted this could be an exercise of futility in the long run, because, while the auto-canceling speeds up gameplay and early game, it only makes it slightly, if at all, easier to finish an opponent off. In the long run it could actually do more harm than good by making the game very lopsided, long combo strings at early percents followed by lengthy, disjointed attempts at landing a finisher, too early to tell I think.

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Speaking of Smash 4, I had a dream last night that we got a new Direct and "Alpha Stages" were announced in them, which were basically Battlefield versions of every stage in both games versus the Omega Stage's FD ones so you had another choice to choose from.

I'm sure plenty would complain, but I kinda wish that was really a thing. ¦D;

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
haha sure
I have a preference of fast, easily abused engines, and am experienced at modding and making mods myself to achieve as such in nearly any relevant title I pick up. Believe what you want, but my Skyrim install is difficult enough that it legitimately made someone never want to play the game again within 15 minutes, and it's nowhere near as complex, demanding, and downright obscenely challenging as Oblivion install which is essentially a SCA combat simulator, which is nice since I quit sparring and participating in SCA events a while back.

Last edited:

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
The organizer sets up 3 Mii types with medium height that everyone uses and sets all their special moves per fight.

Boom, logistics solved.
You sure you wanna burden smash TOs to have to do that for EVERY SINGLE SETUP?
Yeah I don't think they'll do that. They have enough to worry about, especially with quads potentially being a thing.

I mean the Soul Calibur community didn't do anything like that for Create A Soul Characters.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
While they're at it, they should think about hacking in directional air dodging, crouch cancelling, momentum capture... oh.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Del the Funky Homosapien. Your ears will thank you.
Oh dude he's one of my favorites. No Need for Alarm is such a good ass album.
I remember first hearing this while playing pro skater 3 and I've followed him since.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
the summary of my week in song form, basically https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aofoBrFNdg
what the **** are you supposed to do when get dumped for one of her friends? I was never even worried because I trusted her and we talked a lot about her hanging out with other guys because I didn't really care, and i trusted her/her judgement 100%. But nope, she spends one weekend with the dude one a school function trip, starts getting the tiniest of feelings for him, and resolves to dump me for whatever BS reason she could think of
And now she's a mess because she took the break-up much worse than me, all that ****, **** everything. Just **** everything, she says she still misses/needs me, and still wants to be best friends because we were before we started dating, but god damn it she wont stop bringing him up even though she's saying she hates him now, wtf do I do
I've 100% lost any desire for a relationship for a long time. Its like... it really hurts to find out the one person you trusted with everything you have has been straight lieing to your face for months
I'm starting to develop trust issues.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Del the Funky? All I can remember from that guy is his catchy song that was in Tony Hawk (If you Must). I'll check out what else he's got

Soft: I'm pretty sure the textbook response is to kidnap one of her friends and ask for ransom monies or something.

In reality, there's like 5 different things I could say or explain for what you should do, but I'm not gonna delve into that. The only thing you need to take away from this, is that you don't blame yourself or your faults for her actions. Having a ruined outlook on relationships (usually articulated as "Must be something wrong with them/something wrong with me") is the quickest and worst way to spoil potential good ones in the future

Last edited:

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
Wow man, someone suggests speeding up the game a little bit and opening up movement options and everyone thinks you want Melee 2.0
We all sincerely apologize for wanting a game where we can MOVE & CONTROL the character without having to shield to stop every 3 seconds, especially now that tripping is gone.
Yeah, Smash 4 will still be played the way Nintendo intended, but god forbid any suggestions to speed up the game a tad are made cause you know its not Melee 2.0 20XXherpaderpsuperarcade50fightersedition.
~ Written by your favorite Melee purist ~​

Last edited:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Don't be friends with her, cut off contact now at least for a while.

She made the decision and now that it has blown up in her face she wants what she used to have with you as a sounding board but no strings attached.

She done goofed and you have the power now.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
While they're at it, they should think about hacking in directional air dodging, crouch cancelling, momentum capture... oh.
These enhancements are native to the game they just have randomized buffs strapped to them

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Don't be friends with her, cut off contact now at least for a while.

She made the decision and now that it has blown up in her face she wants what she used to have with you as a sounding board but no strings attached.

She done goofed and you have the power now.
but that makes me feel like a **** lol

Whatever, I'm not too miffed... My jimmies don't stay rustled that long.

@ trash? trash? whats the fox/kirby MU like for kirby? I had never really played it before (once or twice in melee) but It felt like utter dog **** for kirby. Thunder's combos and shine spikes for free all day. Like wth does kirby do against a running shine? I guess kirby can Up-tilt all my approaches with good timing, but If hes going for that all i have to do is laser 4 freeee

Normally I'd say fox has a lot of even/losing MU's in PM, but rip those few characters that still get run over by him

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Kirby is doable vs Fox in PM

Melee is a whole nother story though, do NOT want

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
The chu-inspired kirby will probably go for kirbycides a lot by staying next to the ledge. And fox will just fox from the safety of the other side, so it's a pretty degenerate matchup on both sides.

I dunno what the average kirby would do though. I don't even know what an average kirby is.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
I'm kind of amazed that I get asked genuine opinions on kirby MUs so much. sorry folks, I don't play against enough people, and I hate basing too much advice off of stuff I can't personally confirm

fwiw, I'd copy lasers because they're lasers, but that's about the beginning and end of my niche-carving

Vashimus

Smash Master
what the **** are you supposed to do when get dumped for one of her friends? I was never even worried because I trusted her and we talked a lot about her hanging out with other guys because I didn't really care, and i trusted her/her judgement 100%. But nope, she spends one weekend with the dude one a school function trip, starts getting the tiniest of feelings for him, and resolves to dump me for whatever BS reason she could think of
And now she's a mess because she took the break-up much worse than me, all that ****, **** everything. Just **** everything, she says she still misses/needs me, and still wants to be best friends because we were before we started dating, but god damn it she wont stop bringing him up even though she's saying she hates him now, wtf do I do
I've 100% lost any desire for a relationship for a long time. Its like... it really hurts to find out the one person you trusted with everything you have has been straight lieing to your face for months
I'm starting to develop trust issues.
Will you please just cut contact with this girl already?

Don't whine like a baby, don't be mean to her (she probably doesn't ****ing know any better). Just say you two should spend time apart, like it's the most casual thing in the world. And then move on, no matter how much she ends up begging. Don't even stay friends. Delete her number, facebook, everything and be done with it.

That's not being a ****. That's called "I really don't have the time nor the patience to deal with this bull****, and I have enough respect for myself to know I should walk away from this."

Forget her and her boy toy and worry about yourself.

C'mon Softie. You're making things harder than they should be.

Last edited:

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
ive been dumped in soul crushing ways before, but somehow, i just cant say anything bad about my exes. theyre all really nice and fun

^what he said also

someone buy me food im hungry as ****

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Vash pretty much hit the nail on the head. It's not mean-spirited to sever ties in the slightest. You'll never ****ing get over her if she's a constant presence in your day-to-day life. You got invalidated, trumped, by somebody you thought loved and wanted you around for a while; not a good thing to face in your condition right now.

Nobody's saying ya'll can't be at least friends again in the future, but **** ain't copasetic right now. Take time and focus on you, bro.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Admittedly, it's very difficult to stay clear-headed with someone you care about so much and is giving you mixed messages.

But people always reveal who they really are by their actions alone.

Words and intentions are meaningless if someone is acting in a disrespectful manner toward you.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Pretty sure my ex has caused me to become bipolar as ****.

Like 3/4ths of the time I can't even feel anyrhing, and the last 1/4th i'm semi happy

Top Bottom