• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prof. Oak's Lab: The Q&A Thread - USE THIS

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
it can clean up outside of trick room, lol.

Magnificent cleanup pokemon, scarf download Z does what he wants.

zong and dusknoir are nice to set up trick room, swampert is fine for rocks, drapion...doesn't really have a use on this team though. You've got people setting up trick room but nobody to really abuse it. A more generic trick room team might look something like this:

swampert- rocks, etc. this is a potential set for this trick room team:

252 hp/252 atk/4 def, 0 spe IV

stealth rock
eq
ice punch
waterfall

bronzong- screens, tr, explodes. refreshes trick room mid-game.
slowking- a tr setup pokemon that can also abuse it and sweep. can use nasty plot+tr to sweep late-game.
jirachi- I'm gonna say he's great for tr setup just because he can 'slow u-turn' after it's set up to scout and get one of your weaker tr sweepers in safely. can also spread status nicely and provide a last-minute check to dangerous setup sweepers.
rampardos- one of those guys you have to be a little careful sending in, lol. let him go crazy, lures bullet punches/fighting attacks for slowking to come in on.
heatran- quiet eruption heatran is really powerful. give him a try.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
should be, lol

of course, there should be one for gravity too but we all know THAT won't happen, right? :/

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
lolrampardos. I didn't mention it because Marowak is basically better than it for Trick Room. It's sturdier and doesn't take LO recoil. Plus if you want, you can take that 568 attack stat and double it with SD if you get the opening.

I honestly don't see why you would want to use Rampardos over Marowak on Trick Room. It doesn't make sense to me.

EDIT: I'm just on to say that much. I promise I'll have some stuff to offer later though. You've made me theorymon into actually considering making a new Trick Room team; one using things that most people going for the gimmick wouldn't consider. So I should have some stuff for you to try out that could make the team much better.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
actually what I was thinking about the most was just the power of head smash/stone edge, which as a stab pairs up well with that earthquake that shreds through rotom. STAB rock/mold breaker ground>stab ground/rock imo, their speeds are both slow enough that they'll outspeed the walls they're targeting and still be able to smack them hard with the appropriate move.

The other big thing about rampardos though as for why I picked him to go with that team is because bullet punch funnels straight into jirachi/slowking. :)

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
yup.

ahhh...I should alter this team a bit and save it for mixed bags LOL

it really just needs a UU replacement for heatran and swampert. >_>

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Heatran is irreplaceable when it comes to UU, most likely.

Swampert is a buffed up form of Quagsire+Gastrodon. Although the latter two do have Recover, which is useful. Quagsire also has Water Absorb.

-Terywj

yoichX

Smash Apprentice
o.o hmmmmmmmmm..............
so that means i should have

PolygonZ
Bongzorng
Heartren
Ramapidos
????
????

forgot who they were >.<

edit: oh yah drapion was for posion spikes

yoichX

Smash Apprentice
that great and all but... i don't have heatran... or PorygonZ but i can get it faster then heatran or anything because i started over.. But! still.

yoichX

Smash Apprentice
i used to have a game that i had it on but it dispearred *cough (lost) cough* so i just decided to start over with my pearl with the AR

yoichX

Smash Apprentice
Oh yah sorry for double post but i have another question

If you used/use the action replay can you still play in toruneys like offical and some like smash bords?

SilentVerse

Smash Journeyman
If you used/use the action replay can you still play in toruneys like offical and some like smash bords?
It depends. If you're just using the AR to check IV's and clone, then it shouldn't be a problem. If you're using it to alter IV's or make Pokemon, then you won't be able to participate in the tournaments. At least that's for the wi-fi tournaments on Smogon.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Um, this is a very random question, and it has to do with shoddy so sorry if it's not appropriate. Um, I was just trying to use Weavile, and Low Kick isn't even listed as a move it can use. My girlfriend's team can use Low Kick on her Weavile though, any reason why? I even logged on her account to try and it still wouldn't let me... lol

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
Um, this is a very random question, and it has to do with shoddy so sorry if it's not appropriate. Um, I was just trying to use Weavile, and Low Kick isn't even listed as a move it can use. My girlfriend's team can use Low Kick on her Weavile though, any reason why? I even logged on her account to try and it still wouldn't let me... lol
She probably haxed it, Weavile CAN NOT learn low kick

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
IIRC, if you've ever used an Action Replay on your Pokémon game, you can't use it to compete in official Nintendo tourneys, period.
Unfortunately for official Nintendo toruneys, they have absolutely no way to find out you used an AR if you're smart.

For example, if you used a AR codes to get a Naive Heatran with the best possible IV spread (not PokeSAV, wild pokemon IV/Nature modifiers), how could Nintendo tell you didn't legitimately SR for it? Thats right, they can't.

Weavile gets Low Kick as an HGSS Tutor.

She probably haxed it, Weavile CAN NOT learn low kick
Yes it does.

supermarth64

Smash Ace
You have to build the team on a HGSS-compatable server, like Smogon University, CAP, or TU. If you try to build the team under the "Standard Metagame" server, it won't work because that server isn't updated with HGSS moves (and isn't even on the server list).

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I get HGSS moves when I use the Standard Metagame to make teams.

._.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Oh...well that explains it... was just wondering XD. Now that I got SS I can't even care =(. Thanks for the help ^^. And .. how do you hack shoddy? <_<;

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Only some servers for Shoddy have HG/SS move implemented in them. That said though since it's now released in North America you can expect them to all have them updated soon.

-Terywj

SuperScizor

Smash Cadet
I have a question regarding Raikou, Entei, and Suicune in HeartGold. Are their natures set when you free them from the Burned Tower, or when you meet them in the grass? And if you make them faint, will they respawn?

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
Not sure about the natures, but they do respawn if you beat the league after accidentally fainting them.

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
More like the bird trio in PLatinum.

EDIT: Plat started breaking some of the rules by respawning some/many of the legends if you beat the league after fainting them

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
Already did. It didn't say anything about the natures on the legends page for Pt or HGSS, but I didn't go looking beyond that.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
If it's anything like in XD (and I'm assuming Colosseum as well), then no, the natures aren't set in stone. I mean, I maybe be wrong or whatever, but I know that in XD the natures and IVs were different each time you faced the Shadow Pokemon you were trying to catch.

Props to ****ing Spinarak for that one, who I attempted to catch 5 times before finally succeeding (my Pokemon kept critting for the kill). The reason why I know it was changing is because for two or three of the battles I was using one specific Shadow Pokemon of my own (meaning it couldn't level, and Shadow attacks did little damage as well) and it was doing a noticeably different amount of damage each time I battled it. Most definitely outside of the 80% leeway range.

Mewter

Smash Master
From my experience with Pokemon like Darkrai in Platinum, you can kill it and come directly back (it will respawn) for a different nature in case you need to revisit the Pokecenter for new Pokemon/equipment. It won't die until you catch it.

Roaming Pokemon are different though. The roaming Pokemons' natures are set in stone the moment you release them into the wild to roam. I actually attempted to catch Latias multiple times in Emerald, and it had the same exact nature every time (I saved after "discovering" it then went out to catch it.)

RSE: Set when you watch the TV after beating the Champion.
Pt: After talking to oak.
HGSS:After the Tin/Bell Tower episode, I think.
As for what happens in Pt, HG, and SS if you KO them and they respawn...
Killing them and then beating the Elite Four resets their Natures, IVs, and everything.

Edit:
Oh hey, look what I found with a Google search. :p
http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=411520

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Short and sweet. I have a question about Kingler, as I plan on making him (along with Red Gyarados) my water Powerhouse of my team eventually, with his high attack and defense.

How much of a boost DOES Agility give to a Pokémon? It says two stages. But how many points WOULD that give, points-wise? Kingler's speed is not abysmal (when compared to others who focus on speed, of course not. but nonetheless), but I'm thinking Kingler would make a great sweeper. I intend on training a Kingler just right to be able to combat Garchomp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo43ZcN1kVs

MEMORIES! This is why Kingler is awesome. I can't wait to start raising it.

Metal~Mario

Smash Lord
Stages work like this:

Original Stat Number X ((S+2)/2), where S=the number of stages raised.

For Agility, S=+2 (raises by two stages) so......

((2+2)/2)
(4/2)

So the original stat is multiplied by two, or doubled.

Quick Chart for S:

+1 stage=3/2
+2 stages=2
+3 stages=5/2
+4 stages=3
+5 stages=7/2
+6 stages=4

-1 stage=2/3
-2 stages=1/2
-3 stages=2/5
-4 stages=1/3
-5 stages=2/7
-6 stages=1/4

Just multiply the original stat number by whichever number correlates to the number of stages raised or lowered. Also, obviously +0 means the stat remains unchanged.

Hope that helps!

Top Bottom