• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prof. Oak's Lab: The Q&A Thread - USE THIS

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
SubCharge Zapdos has some advantages over Rotom, but Rotom has better typing.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
You CAN ask questions about your team here, at least I think so XD

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
you know, until anyone says otherwise (someone like terywj or spireV) i'll take your word for it.
so I usually use a team full of sweepers. Of course Ive been using these in freindlys. I had my first wi-fi battle yesterday and got my @$$ whooped (courtesy of UltiMario). So I was wondering, what should I consider Before Making my team. any suggestions? I am borrowing my freinds ar (with nothing but the thing that can make pokemon appear (pokemodifier NOT pokesav so no stat hax) and walk through walls on it) so I can get any pokemon with any nature. The thing is....thats all I can control, no egg moves sorry fake out weavile :'(
so ANYTHING that can help me in the world of competitive battling.
Theres just one thing, I want to enter a tourney made by my freinds. The tourney says the participant MUST have three ubers and MUST have three non-ubers. So keep that in mind.
Thanks in advance to whomever may answer my question
-Charmander1065

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Yeah, you can ask questions about teams here.

I was actually theorymoning a Charge Beam Zapdos set earlier. I came to the conclusion that Rotom does it better though, considering it can spinblock while also boosting. Toxic Spikes are basically what make charge beam sets so good, which is why Rotom does so well with it. Oh yeah, and Ice Beam Blissey doesn't always break Rotom's subs (depending on your defensive investments), which is something Zapdos can't boast about.

All Zapdos really has over it is Roost and speed, which are both easier abuse on other sets. Not saying it isn't worth trying, but I personally think it's outclassed.

EDIT: Didn't notice the question on the table before I replied. I actually just started Ubers today (yeah, that's right...Terywj, you should join with me ;D), so I can't tell you much about using them. I'd personally recommend a Kyogre/Kingdra being somewhere on your team though. That's one Uber and one OU for you, so it's definitely a start. After that I'd say Deoxys-S lead (it's the most used lead in the game for a reason), and...I don't know. Maybe Forretress for Spin support (Kyogre/Kingdra combo doesn't like Toxic Spikes), and then you could fill out the last Uber and OU on your own. Or you could just use your own stuff and ignore me. Either works. :)

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
I was actually thinking of kingdra, what with sniper/scope lens combo, would be good. How about natures, Movesets? also Kyogre works because of drizzle, giving kingdra strength and blocking out sandstorm. The only thing is that....wel...two water types? I might want to change that a bit. Also I need a fire user to kill bullet punchers (the main reason people beat me,) and to kill ice types so my dragon types may run freely. Good advice, lets expand on this.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I'm planning on using Kyogre and Rayquaza on an Ubers team. Mewtwo is very appealing too, but I'll need room for support like Forretress / Giratina.
Something like Rayquaza / Salamence is ridiculous in Ubers, since if you deal with one, another one shows its head and you're like. "Muk."

Kingdra is much more dangerous in the rain with Dragon Dance.

-Terywj

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
so rain dancing dragon dancing kingdra. Awesome. With the Rayquaza/Salamece thing, your just asking for an Ice fang. Mewtwos awesome, just gotta train a new one as my old one isn't properly EV trained. How about darkrai? Or is he overrated. Either way, the sleep clause is off with the tourney im training for. Groudon? nah that'll just ruin rain dance for kingdra, unless kingdras a lead...Aerodactyl? I need at least one insanely fast pokemon. Any advice is okay.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Nobody uses Ice Fang. Ice Punch > Ice Fang.

The whole point of Rayquaza / Salemence in Ubers is to basically one-shot your opponent. Rayquaza is one of the most deadliest threats in Ubers so every team should be prepared to deal with. But what happens when they take down Rayquaza only to be staring back at Salamence, who pretty much does the same thing?

-Terywj

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
well maybe a rayquaza could do me some good
how about stone edge/toxic spikers
any ideas?
heres my team so far
kingdra
groudon
rayquaza
mewtwo
Scizor (bullet pucher, my basic IN CASE OF SWEEPER button)
still looking for a non uber how bout a trapsetter like stated above.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
You're going mixed tiers right? Roserade does a good job as a lead Toxic Spiker.

Good users of Stone Edge are everywhere. Tyranitar, Nidoking just to name some.

-Terywj

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
Why not try a Mew Baton Pass team? I was considering making a pass on that on PBR. Lead with Uxie, Memento out to Mew, stat up, BP to a sweeper, etc.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Kingdra should always have Swift Swim. And the reason why you want to use Kyogre and Kindgra in tandem isn't actually because of defensive typing (although I would like to point out that Kingdra's secondary Dragon-typing cancels out all of Water's weaknesses, so using them together isn't bad at all), but because you get constant Rain Dance for Kingdra to abuse with double speed and such.

I'd also say a DD Kingdra would be fun in the rain (in fact, it was originally on my team in tandem with Kyogre...I got rid of it and Kyogre because of something else on my team that I refused to remove though). There's actually an Uber DD Kingdra set on Smogon. It might be worth looking into.

Ice Shard > Ice Punch > Ice Fang. Although considering your access to three Ubers, I'd say you should probably be watching for Draco Meteors and **** instead.

EDIT: Holy **** I need to think and type quicker. Or look back before I submit or something. I guess ignore everything I said, if that's really the team you want to use. I personally wouldn't ever recommend Groudon, Kingdra, AND Rayquaza on the same team though. Heck, I wouldn't even recommend Groudon and Kingdra or Kingdra and Rayquaza. Just sayin'.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I've always been meh about Baton Pass teams, regardless of it being "easier" in the lower tiers thanks to Cradily and Octillery.

-Terywj

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
well, groudon may not be a good idea....
oh i meant stealth rock, not stone edge, GAH spelling errors.
anyway, kyogre just plain doesnt fit....you know with one water type already here, why not just make rain dance a move? as kingdra has a limited movepool as is. and idk, tery sugested rayquaza, it didnt look like a bad idea.
Maybe damp rock swift swim? so scizor and mewtwo stay.
maybe stealth rock tyranitar? meh we'll see

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Why would Groudon not be a good idea?

Kyogre provides neverending rain until another weather-inducing Pokemon switches in, so I don't know what you're talking about.
Kingdra doesn't need much at all, really. Water+Normal is one of the best coverage in the game, and Water+Dragon is no less. STAB Waterfall and Outrage?

Forretress can setup Stealth Rocks.

-Terywj

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
fortresss lead? But i already have a steel bug, scizor.
how bout
Roserade
kingdra/salamence
scizor
Rayquaza
Ho-oh
Mewtwo
Although kingdra pwns, im on edge on salamence, due to greater power

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
It should be better put that Groudon on a team with Kingdra isn't a good idea.

...I'm not even going to justify these arguments against Kyogre+Kingdra combo with a response. If he can't see the benefits of it even after being explained that his negatives aren't negative, then it's not worth it.

EDIT: To note, I'm fine if you don't use the combo. Just...please, do yourself the favor of not running Kingdra if you don't plan on using Kyogre with it in this type of tier restriction. x____x

@Terywj: Oddly enough, Baton Pass is actually rather effective in Ubers, due to the myriad of Pokemon with access to Dual Screens, the obvious Mew benefit, and the already bolstering number of retardedly powerful sweepers. Or so I'm led to believe.

Groudon, Ho-Oh, Forretress. Fill in the rest and run some stall. Chyeaaahhhh boi. :3

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
so.......
Roserade-setup toxic spikes and spam with sludge bomb or magical leaf
Groudon- sets up drought for ho-oh, solarbeam for waters, eruption for grass type
Ho-oh-feeds off of sun-sacred fire combo but has psychic
Scizor-Bullet punch technician, need I say more?
Rayquaza- special dragon,draco meteor
Salamece-physichal pwzor,outrager
Mewtwo-sweeper,me firster, aura sphere
@ writer kupo sorry, your idea was great, but i like this idea better for some reason
any comments, suggestions? before this is my final team, i would like your opinions

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
It might be harder to get decent moves in-game, but you should really visit Smogon for good movesets, seeing as all your movesets are... pretty bad. Serebii.net's Pokedex will tell you how to get these move in-game.

supermarth64

Smash Ace
No... Your movesets are actually pretty bad...

Dialga, Scizor, and Metagross all make Sludge Bomb a bad choice on Roserade. Magical Leaf sucks, Leaf Storm and Grass Knot are a lot better.

Actually Roserade sucks because it can't do anything to prevent Deoxys-s from getting up at least 2 layers of entry hazards. Forretress, Cloyster, and Qwilfish are all better because the first two can use Rapid Spin and the last two have priority to only let Deo-S set up Stealth Rock or nothing at all if it decides to Taunt.

Special Groudon is terrible, as using Solarbeam actually makes you Kyogre bait and Eruption doesn't get STAB on Groudon. A support moveset of EQ/SR/Stone Edge or Dragon Claw/Roar or Toxic or Thunder Wave is a lot better.

Psychic is TERRIBLE in Ubers. Not only does about half the metagame resist it, but Ho-Oh doesn't even get STAB on it. Stick with Sacred Fire/Brave Bird/Substitute/Roost with Life Orb.

Mixed set for one dragon, SD Ray if you're using Mixmence, DD Mence if you're using Mixquaza. Also, without Wobbuffet, you're severly limitting the number of times that one or the other can set up.

Mewtwo should be a coverage sweeper with Aura Sphere/Ice Beam/Flamethrower/Selfdestruct.

Your team has 7 Pokemon.

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
Oh ****, supermarth just 7-0'd you
is that even possible o.e
anyway, my roserade is a toxic spike setup, then leech seeds them.
Groudon was replaced by Mixquaza. should salamence be a sweeper or tank?Meh probably sweeper :lick:
ho-oh.....you know?.....that was a good idea thx ill use that :D
mewtwo was going along with the lines you said, except it has me first instead of killing itself XD
so lets recap

Roserade-the toxic spikes setup,sleep powder for steel types, energy ball for power, and leech seed just in case.
Scizor- The bullet punch/technician wizard. Also has x-scissor,night slash, and swords dance.
Rayquaza- mix strategy,keep outrage and extremespeed and get draco meteor and Ancientpower(to hit flying types and possible stat boost)
Salamence- dragon dance and outrage also keeps EQ and fire fang ( for ice types)
Ho-oh -spdef tank sacred fire recover brave bird and thunder wave
Mewtwo-special sweeper, Me first, aura sphere, ice beam, shadow ball.

Was that good? Im still a bit of a noob at this XD

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
'A bit' is one heck of an understatement. I'm a noob at Ubers, and I know quite a lot more than you do. Just sayin'.

Roserade: Roserade is going to be bad almost no matter what you do to it. The fact that you're playing Ubers mixed with OU really ruins its viability, considering it means people will have access to the best suicide lead in the game (which completely shuts down Roserade, btw) and Ubers leads that you would actually be able to outspeed and set up on typically carry a Lum Berry so they can deal with Darkrai, which means you won't be able to set up on them either. Here is a thread to help you in choosing what kind of lead you'd like to go with. There aren't movesets there for the top 7 Ubers leads, but I'm assuming you're avoiding the use of an Ubers lead (for what reason I don't know, although my first Ubers team doesn't use an Ubers lead either so I guess I can't say anything). And no, you don't want to just throw a lead on there and call it good. In my personal opinion, the lead is the most important member of the team. The decision on what to use should never be taken lightly.

Scizor: I'm assuming you want to use an SD Variant of Scizor, which is bad with Ubers running around, but meh. CB Scizor would probably be more helpful for your team (you kinda need a revenge killer), but you can do whatever. Give Scizor Brick Break over Night Slash to deal with Steels if that's the set you want to go with. I was about to say that you should use Bug Bite over X-Scissor as well, but I had forgotten that Bug Bite is HG/SS exclusive, which you obviously don't have access to yet.

Rayquaza: Ho-Oh absolutely loves Groudon support. I don't know why you would remove it just to keep a precious Rayquaza, but oh well. I'll give advice to you, but if you don't take it then I'm not going to keep trying. Anyway, for Rayquaza all I have to say is FIRE BLAST DANG IT. Get rid of Ancientpower. It's bad.

Salamence: Same goes for Salamence with Fire Fang. Skarmory and Bronzong are the only two things that resist your current coverage (and trust me, you don't need super-effective hits on Ice-types...if they're trying to be used against Mence, they're going to KO whether you ****ing like it or not. Mamoswine and Weavile are likely the only two Ice-types you may see, both of which will carry Ice Shard and rip you to pieces with it before you can move), so you use Fire Blast. Skarmory is waayyyy too bulky on the physical side to care about Fire Fang, but it does watch out for Fire Blast, which tears it apart even if you don't invest any EVs in SpAtk. Bronzong is bulky all-around, but the difference between Fire Blast and Fire Fang against it isn't enough to warrant losing to Skarmory.

Ho-Oh: Once again, Groudon support for Ho-Oh. Much appreciated. And spinner support too. Have fun using Ho-Oh when it's getting half its health taken out every time it switches in because your lead doesn't stop anything from getting Stealth Rock up, and you can't get rid of them because you opted not to put a spinner somewhere on the team.

Mewtwo: I'm not entirely sure, but Ice Beam, Aura Sphere, Selfdestruct, and probably Thunder (so you at least have one thing that can deal with Kyogre) for the set. I haven't really payed attention to Mewtwo (he's not a personal favorite of mine), but I believe that's what an all-out attacker set would look like.

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
How about

Groudon@FocusBand
FirePunch
Earthquake
StealthRock
Toxic

Starmie@ShellBell
IceBeam
Thunderbolt
RapidSpin
Recover

Ho-oh@Power Herb
Substitute
Roost
SkyAttack
SacredFire

Salamence@ScopeLens
DragonDance
Outrage
FireBlast
AerialAce/Fly

Scizor@IronPlate
SwordsDance
BulletPunch
BrickBreak
X-scissor

Mewtwo@FocusSash
AuraSphere
DarkPulse
Thunderbolt
MeFirst

Was that Any better? Kupo, You helped a lot, thank you 8D

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Got my own question:

What is the amount of pokemon in a chain before you have a high chance of finding a shiny?

Always wondered. Ive tried chaining but my highest chain is 15...

supermarth64

Smash Ace
Focus Band is terrible, go with Lum Berry or Leftovers.

Starmie is pretty bad in ubers without support, and you're not providing enough of it (namely Kyogre for boosted Hydro Pumps and 100% Thunders).

Ho-Oh is pretty bad without Brave Bird, as Kyogre manhandled it. Since you don't have HG/SS, I'd say scrap Ho-Oh.

Life Orb on Salamence, Earthquake over Aerial Ace because Outrage is strong enough and you need something to hit Heatran/Dialga.

Focus Sash is terrible on a non-lead Pokemon, and Flamethrower would be better to lure in and KO Scizor. Also, Me First is wayyyyyy too gimmicky. Once I get on the comp I'll help you out more.

Edit for above: At 40, the shiny % caps. I forget what that % is though.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Just to finish off the question in its entirety, the chances of getting a shiny after hitting 40 is 1/200. You just keep resetting the Radar once you hit 40 though, so the chance is almost null as long as you don't mess up and enter the wrong patch of grass.

EDIT: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/showthread.php?t=19695

That's a written guide about it. If you want visuals though, just go to youtube and look it up. Iirc there are quite a few guides there, although I don't think they're quite as informative as the above written guide.

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
oh srry

Groudon@FocusBand
Adamant,252hp, 124def, 124def
FirePunch
Earthquake
StealthRock
Toxic

Starmie@ShellBell
Timid,136 HP / 156 Def / 216 Spe
IceBeam
Thunderbolt
RapidSpin
Recover

Ho-oh@Power Herb
Jolly, 192 HP / 252 Atk / 66 Spe
Substitute
Roost
SkyAttack
SacredFire

Salamence@ScopeLens
Adamant,232 Atk / 24 SpA / 252 Spe
DragonDance
Outrage
FireBlast
AerialAce/Fly

Scizor@IronPlate
Adamant,248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
SwordsDance
BulletPunch
BrickBreak
X-scissor

Mewtwo@FocusSash
Modest, 252 att,252 spd
AuraSphere
DarkPulse
Thunderbolt
MeFirst
I put in natures too.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Brave Bird > Sky Attack on Ho-Oh.

Scizor might enjoy Bug Bite's power over X-Scissor.

Shadow Ball > Dark Pulse, Ice Beam > Thunderbolt on Mewtwo. Why Me First? Why not just use Calm Mind?

-Terywj

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Brave Bird and Bug Bite both require HG/SS Terywj.

He should basically just follow Supermarth's advice for the team. I wouldn't know why he'd do anything otherwise, unless he really just wants his team to be bad.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Changes in bold

oh srry

Groudon@Leftovers
Adamant,252 HP / 156 Atk / 32 Def / 60 SpD / 8 Spe
Overheat/Dragon Claw
Earthquake
StealthRock
Toxic

Starmie@Leftovers
Timid,136 HP / 156 Def / 216 Spe
IceBeam
Thunderbolt
RapidSpin
Recover

Ho-oh@Life Orb
Jolly, 192 HP / 252 Atk / 66 Spe
Substitute
Roost
Earthquake
SacredFire

Salamence@Leftovers
Adamant,232 Atk / 24 SpA / 252 Spe
DragonDance
Outrage
FireBlast
Earthquake

Scizor@Life Orb
Adamant,248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
SwordsDance
BulletPunch
BrickBreak
X-scissor

Mewtwo@Leftovers
Modest,4 HP / 252 SpA/ 252 spd
AuraSphere
Shadow Ball/Ice Beam/Flamethrower
Thunderbolt
Calm Mind
I put in natures too.
This is all possible if you have Diamond OR Pearl AND Platinum. You can get Leftovers; Calm Mind, Shadow Ball and Earthquake TMs via the Battle Frontier, and you can get Two Life Orbs from Stark Mountain, one from Each game, as well as the Overheat TM. You can get Dragon Claw from Mt. Coronet. You can get Ice Beam an Flamethrower from the Game Corner.

Unfortunately, this is TONS of hours of work just for the Leftovers and TMs, but it'll make a solid team.

Top Bottom