• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prof. Oak's Lab: The Q&A Thread - USE THIS

firelord767

Smash Apprentice
OneManga's being shut down or something, I dunno. To be honest, I'm not sure where else you could find it...
The publishers recently have strengthened their stance against scanlations, especially online viewers such as OM. Therefore to abide by their requests we have shut down the online viewer. The plan was to remove all the manga on July 31st. But seeing how Aug 1st is a Sunday, we decided to leave the manga up for an extra day for people to finish their weekend reading. The removal time has now been set to Aug 1st, 11:59PM PST.
http://www.onemanga.com/news/2010/07/31/om-shutdown-update/

MangaFox also took it down.
http://www.mangafox.com/manga/pok_mon_adventures/

Seems like it's gone for good. I was just finishing Gold and Silver chapter, too!

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Azelf just used Flamethrower on my Jirachi and I didn't see it coming

Would someone mind telling me the set that would most likely use FT?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
http://www.onemanga.com/news/2010/07/31/om-shutdown-update/

MangaFox also took it down.
http://www.mangafox.com/manga/pok_mon_adventures/

Seems like it's gone for good. I was just finishing Gold and Silver chapter, too!
If /a/non scanlations goes down too, I guess I could upload all that I've downloaded from there.
Azelf just used Flamethrower on my Jirachi and I didn't see it coming

Would someone mind telling me the set that would most likely use FT?
A better question would be what Azelf doesn't run Flamethrower or Fire Punch.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Every Azelf should have Flamethrower with the exception of the really rare CB Azelf. It was probably a LO Mixed sweeper. Did it have Life Orb?

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Fuel, Azelf runs like Flamethrower on every set. With the small exception of the Choice Band and Life Orb Physical sets, which use Fire Punch instead.

How come I know this...

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
:/

Because I said all I've EVER seen people use is a lead Azelf and all two of my teams use Swampert as my lead, so that's **** I wouldn't exactly know :/

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
That's why it's a damage calculator. Use it to help ease some predictions, etc.

Aren't you listed as a Pokemon Mentor in the SWF Tutoring Center...?

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Like hell I am, I just never figured out how to use the **** damage calc.

EDIT:

Nevermind, I figured out how to use it. Man this could be great for me in battles

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
It's actually really easy to calculate things. I prefer Libelldra over Smogon myself, but use whatever works better.

Libelldra:

Atk = Attack or Special Attack of the attacking Pokemon (at the bottom the +0-6 is stage) Example: Dragon Dance = +1 Attack

Def = Defense or Special Defense of the Defending Pokemon (at the bottom the +0-6 is stage) Example: Calm Mind = +1 Special Defense

HP = HP of the Defending Pokemon

Base Power = Base Power of the move DO NOT factor in STAB Swampert's Earthquake is 100 not 150

Stealth Rock = x1 is neutral to rock and the others are weak or resistant Example: Yanmega is 4x

Type 1 = What does one of the defending Pokemon's type take from the move (Yanmega x2 for Fire)

Type 2 = What does the other type take from the move (Yanmega x1 for Fire)

Type 1 = Bug Type 2 = Flying

It really doesn't matter which order they're in.

STAB = Same Type Attack Bonus meaning is the move your using the same as one of the Pokemon's types (I'm sure you know what STAB is, just select yes if the move gets it and no if it doesn't)

Abilities = If the attacking or defending Pokemon has an ability that would somehow weaken or power up the attack, it needs to be selected Example: Intimidate/Adaptability

Items = If the attacking or defending Pokemon has an item that would somehow weaken or power up the attack, it needs to be selected Example: Life Orb/Occa Berry

Miscellaneous:

First four are pretty obvious

Weather + = Is the attacking Pokemon getting a weather boost? Example: Kyogre's Surf in rain

Weather - = Is the attacking Pokemon getting a negative weather boost? Example: Surf in Sunny Day

Rock Type = Only check this if you want to calculate how much a special attack will do to a Rock type in sandstorm Example: Focus Blast vs Tyranitar

Wait... how do we know what to put in for atk, def, and HP?

1 Stat Point = 4 EV's

Nature = +/- 10%

Lets say we're trying to figure out Salamence's Attack:

We know it has 306 Attack with an IV of 31 and a neutral nature. Lets say it has 252 Attack EV's and Adamant nature.

306 + (252/4) = 369 This is what we get if we just have 252 Attack EV's and a neutral nature.

369 * .1 = 36.9 + 369 = 405.9 = 406 (I think the game might round that down for some reason, though)

Alternatively, you could just go to Smogon and look, but if you need to do a calculation for like 100 EV's and a + Nature, you'd need to use this method.

Now that we know how to do that we just put everything in and click "Calculate Damage"

Lets try:

252 Timid Heatran's Fire Blast vs 0/0 Modest Yanmega

Atk: 359 + 0

Def: 148 + 0

HP: 313

Base Power: 120

Stealth Rock: x4

Type 1: 2x

Type 2: 1x

STAB: Yes

No items or abilities

Nothing for Miscellaneous

Calculate Damage....

It will do a minimum of 200% and a maximum of about 236% On average it'll do 217%

It also shows you the survival chances of the Pokemon if they have Leftovers and after Stealth Rock

Useful links: Smogon /Libelldra Damage Calculator

SandStorm percents WILL NOT be in the rectangle at the bottom, they will be above that and to the left!THIS IS ONLY FOR ROCK TYPES WHILE IN SANDSTORM

Congrats, you just learned how to use Libelldra damage calculator. Yay. I'll do Smogon's later and edit this post. xD

Edit: And he already figured it out... xD I spent so long on that. :/

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Like hell I am, I just never figured out how to use the **** damage calc.

EDIT:

Nevermind, I figured out how to use it. Man this could be great for me in battles
It's really great, there's virtually no reason you should not run calcs whenever possible.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
If you don't already know the answer, than yeah, you can. It doesn't take that long to run calcs with smogon's calculator since they have the sets included.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Wait, do you guys run calcs while in the middle of a battle?
Very, very rarely. I'm pretty accurate with my guesses and a situation I'm not comfortable with moving in is rare. I think I've only done it once to calculate Gengar's Explosion vs 78% Gliscor or something like a year ago because I wanted to go out with a boom. :D

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I don't always run calcs, since it's usually not important (Scizor's Bullet Punch against Heatran, for example), but it's nice to know whether or not that Heatran's Flamethrower will kill my Rotom.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
On another Pokémath-related question, has the formula for caluclating stats been the same since Advance?

For reference:
((((2B+I+E)L)/100)+5)N for all stats other than HP and
((((2B+I+E)L)/100)+10+S) for HP

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
lets say we have Breloom vs a Serene Grace Blissey. Breloom uses spore and puts it to sleep. The player anticipates a switch.... but thinks the Blissey has natural cure so spores again and also puts the switch in to sleep. Now there are two pokemon asleep at once. What happens, and how can this be avoided? (Never had it happen but I always wondered about it.)

PowerBomb

Smash Master
If it's on Shoddy/PO, then Spore would fail for the switch in.

If it's on a Nintendo DS/Wi-fi, then the Spore would put the other Pokemon to sleep and if your opponent wants to whine, that's their fault. You can't be blamed for thinking that a common Blissey would be their Blissey if they EV/IV stuff.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
Ya and who would have a serene grace Blissey.
Japanese players do. And im talking on the real thing, or in a real live tourny, not lame **** like Shoddy. Don't get me wrong, i'd never be caught dead using a serene grace Blissey but I wonder if the situation ever arised. No one clearly answered my question. And that's fine. It's something that will probly never happen in an actual live tourny.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
But that's why we wanted to specify between if you were using WiFi or Pokemon simulators. With WiFi the asleep Serene Grace Blissey would switchout and the switchin would be put to sleep. On a simulator the switchin would fail to be put asleep due to Sleep Clause.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
So do the Japanese players have a completely different meta game than us?
yep yep yep yep yep. They are very, very good too, I use to play with them on Pokemon Battle Revolution, and I still watch them on my HG. Their metagame is more advanced than the one Smogon formulated
moar like ****ted out
, Lati@s fair game (but soul dew is banned) Chomp legal, Mence legal... only thing I disagree with is Wobbefett being legal =/. They do some scary **** with him like give him a custap berry so if your not careful he'll go first before he dies and destiny bond your pokemon. Most of their OU pokemon is the same as smogons but I would say Ludicolio would be OU for them.

another fun fact Jirachi and Celebi are banned in their metagame, in fact if you want to make a japanese player rage quit use a scarf flinching Jirachi against them they will almost always forfeit against you.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
Smogon haters gonna hate
I dont hate Smogon. I love them. They made everyone copy pasta the same stratgies making them easy to read as a book and 4-0 at the least. :) I do feel bad so many kiddies are playing in a crippled metagame now =/

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
SNO just trolls Pokemon boards that aren't Smogon for not being Smogon. You can't even get peace in the Disco Room about being some self-proclaimed Smogon bad***.

Also SNO doesn't even know about the magical power of OU+.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
@above: is dat an OVErDrIvE reference? :3

On another Pokémath-related question, has the formula for caluclating stats been the same since Advance?

For reference:
((((2B+I+E)L)/100)+5)N for all stats other than HP and
((((2B+I+E)L)/100)+10+S) for HP
Oh boy do I love pokemath! The formula you have there is almost correct. For my example, I'll use some easy numbers I memorized off smogon.

Max stat for a base 100 pokemon is 328 with a +nature, 299 neutral. 63 points gained from max EVs. 236 with no evs. 205 with no IVs. Minus 5 from stat formula and the remaining 200 is base stat*2.

Stat formula for non-HP:
(BS*2+IVs+(EVs/4)+5)(nature)

HP is:
BS*2+Lv+IVs+(EVs/4)+10
The only exception is shedinja.

Top Bottom