• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Princeton, NJ Melee (summer?) Biweeklies! Next one AFTER APEX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Eggm always brings a lot of setups so we should be ok.
Terrible attitude!! What if my car breaks down. Or I don't feel like moving madd tv's by myself all the time? The community needs to step it up so I don't have to work so hard.

Assuming I'm not lazy and make it. I'll have 3 tv's and 3 setups. Maybe 4 TV's depending on how many people I bring.

People should still bring anything they were going to bring however. 8 TV's would be hawt 1 for every 2 people there (no waiting). :)

OBT

Savior of the Pandas
NNID
smuckersjam
man, i wish i wasn't going on vacation :( when will the next one be?

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Just realized that the concert I'm going to is on the 26th, not the 27th.

This means I cannot bring a setup because one of these will happen:
1) I will come, but leave early. This is only if my ride to the concert is willing to pick me up from here.
2) I do not come at all.

Hopefully I can still go, but if I can't, Palpi may still go.

Deathknight

Smash Ace
Terrible attitude!! What if my car breaks down. Or I don't feel like moving madd tv's by myself all the time? The community needs to step it up so I don't have to work so hard.

Assuming I'm not lazy and make it. I'll have 3 tv's and 3 setups. Maybe 4 TV's depending on how many people I bring.

People should still bring anything they were going to bring however. 8 TV's would be hawt 1 for every 2 people there (no waiting). :)
Hey, when I buy a new tv, I'm probably going to be bringing my old one to tournies but until then it's the only one I have and I don't want to risk damaging it or losing it. Problem is it's so hard finding quality CRV-TVs these days. I want lots of AV inputs, widescreen option, and no lag. Can never seem to find that.

CaptainNanD0

Smash Journeyman
Yo Sensei we got this so far

1.Lunar?
2.Deathknight
3.Balladechina212
4.Melomaniacal+3
5.Smellycat
6.Parallax
7.Teczero?
8.teh_spamerer?
9.Krazyknux+3??
10.Eggm
11.Stric9?
12.Copycat
13.Sneak
14.DJN
15.Nando
16.Mr.F?
17.Sensei

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Well the $10 for the tournament is an investment, so it'd be more worth it than $5 investment in a tournament and $5 fee they won't getting back. Imo, that is.

balladechina212

Smash Ace
Well the $10 for the tournament is an investment, so it'd be more worth it than $5 investment in a tournament and $5 fee they won't getting back. Imo, that is.
True, the $10 + $0 is a better investment than the $5 + $5 venue fee, but the $5 + $0 is an even better investment than the $10 + $0. Because if you don't think you're going to be in the money, the expected return of your investment portfolio will be the same in both the $5 and the $10 case (because the best you'll do in both cases is maybe win your money back) but your risk will be much higher in the $10 case, since you're likely to lose more. The modern portfolio theory assumes that investors are risk averse, meaning that given two assets that offer the same expected return, investors will prefer the less risky one. However, if you think you're going to place in the money in the tournament, obviously you would want the higher risk portfolio.

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
True, the $10 + $0 is a better investment than the $5 + $5 venue fee, but the $5 + $0 is an even better investment than the $10 + $0. Because if you don't think you're going to be in the money, the expected return of your investment portfolio will be the same in both the $5 and the $10 case (because the best you'll do in both cases is maybe win your money back) but your risk will be much higher in the $10 case, since you're likely to lose more. The modern portfolio theory assumes that investors are risk averse, meaning that given two assets that offer the same expected return, investors will prefer the less risky one. However, if you think you're going to place in the money in the tournament, obviously you would want the higher risk portfolio.
So put it to $10 lol.

Smelly Cat

Smash Journeyman

lol. ****.

loci

Smash Rookie
wait wuts expected return
wat

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Haha, I think this is too simplistic a way of looking at it. I don't think risk aversion has much to do with it, because hardly anyone fits in the category you described (expected return is breaking even from the tournament). Either the increase in entry fee will increase your monetary EV, if you are one of the strongest players, or it will decrease it, if you are everyone else.

For the everyone else, the benefit of increasing the fee is the increased chance that good players from farther away will attend. Of course, this is not equally valuable to everybody, but it's a factor to consider and it's why $10 + $0 can be a better investment than $5 + $0 even for those likely to lose their money.

balladechina212

Smash Ace
Buying BP shares is also pretty good :D

Same thing tomorrow. Call me when you get there or if you get lost. I'll have to let you in since the door will (probably) be locked.

Deathknight

Smash Ace
Sensei that's all you talk about when I see you post. Though I was the most amused when you said you'd do 1000 to 1 payout. I would laugh so hard if someone bet like $10 and pulled a Mango and beat you. But anyway, you should teach me some 64 stuff. I want to learn.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I just realized that the OP just said theres a Wawa nearby.

Epic tourney location is epic.

And... I hate being like really annoying but seriously, can there be doubles? lawl.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
It is, but I'm also paying $44 to go to a concert later that day, and then there's food and gas.
I wouldn't mind a $5 more chill tournament.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I'm fine with either or. I'd like to leave to the majority though, I"ll vote 10 for both though.

As long as we have doubles I don't really care if its 5/5 or 10/10.

Magus420

Smash Master
Yeah, the directions kind of depend heavily on the map they refer to, which is a broken link (been like that for awhile actually). Where would I park/stop to get a somewhat large TV from my car into the venue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom