• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prepare to be Astounded One Last Time: Wiseguy’s Brawl Predictions THE FINAL VERSION!

Arteen

Smash Lord
For tonight, I'd be surprised if it wasn't something epic. A new character (Olimar, Ridley, Megaman, Geno, ect.) or possibily a notification that Smash Bros 64 is available on Virtual Console. Regardless, I expect big things.
Friends List? Why must your predictions be wrong? :(

Zevox

Smash Lord
Hardy har har.

Just wait until my next revision is complete. These are guaranteed to be 100% correct. You'll see. You'll ALL see!!!!
Yes yes, we've all seen already, with the Ice Climbers and Sonic. :p

I look forward to seeing if your new predictions are better than or worse than the old, and congratulating you if the former or laughing my *** off if the latter. :)

Zevox

Elysium

Smash Lord
omg, thats an idea for his FS. Like Kirby sucking them in..... except with Malo, they don't come back. Uber Final Smash.

Aside from being ugly, he's a greedy little Foo. He took over that persons store and didn't show any signs of remorse. Pure Evil.

Ginger9001

Smash Ace
omg, thats an idea for his FS. Like Kirby sucking them in..... except with Malo, they don't come back. Uber Final Smash.

Aside from being ugly, he's a greedy little Foo. He took over that persons store and didn't show any signs of remorse. Pure Evil.
lol Indeed. I wouldn't have been surprised if he was the last boss on TP. Like after you beat Ganon, all of the sudden Malo comes waddling out and then devours Ganon whole. Then turns into a giant monster which is just a giant version of his head with tentacles coming out the back. :ohwell:

Creeeeepyyy..... :urg:

AlbelNox

Smash Journeyman

By the way, in spanish "Malo" means "Evil". Coincidence...? I don't think so...

AlbelNox

Smash Journeyman
I thought Malo meant "bad" like I feel bad (aka, I'm sick playa! *cough cough*)? I didn't know it meant evil
It does, but in a colloquial way. It's some sorta synonim of "enfermo", but its most used aception means "bad", meaning that something is "evil".

AlbelNox

Smash Journeyman
Not really... there are words stronger than "malo" used more for evil.

Trivia: Dr. Evil's name (from Austin Powers) was translated to Dr. Malito in the spanish versions of the films.
In fact, its name is "Doctor Maligno". "Maligno" would be a better word than "Malo" for meaning "Evil". There are also other options, like "Malvado" or "Malevolo", but I wanted to make a joke about Malo's name.

goombapatrol054

Smash Cadet
anyone else think that paper mario would be an awesome character to add to brawl?

he would replace doctor mario nicely, with a huge moveset.

hammers, jumps, partners, it goes on and on.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I totally agree goombapatrol054. Check out this awesome moveset by Vali, a cool dude who used to post around here.

Paper Mario

Weight: 1
Size: 2.5
Strength: 4
Speed: 4
Reach: 3
Fallspeed: 1.5

Paper Mario's strengths lies in decent speed and strength but has a major weakness in being easily KOable since...well he's made out of paper and thus shouldn't weigh hardly anything at all.

Why?

First of all, he isn't a clone of Mario whatsoever. The fact that he has many attacks RPG style and certain signature moves from his games (such as hammer attacks) that wouldn't befit regular Mario at all proves this, as well as Mario using attacks (punches and kicks) and signature moves (fireball) that have absolutely nothing to do with Paper Mario and when you really take a look back on the moves they actually share in common, that amounts to practically nothing. This ain't a Doc Mario/Mario sort of relationship, Paper Mario really can hold his own against his rather more weighty alter ego.

You may be thinking to yourself now "Yeah, OK, I see your point, he won't be a clone. So what? That isn't a 'why' he should be in!" Well if you actually need a why he should be in, you've obviously never played the Paper Mario games. They are utterly fantastic, RPG brilliance in such a fresh way that breathes life back into a franchise which doesn't deviate from the norm as much as it should. Unfortunately I haven't gotten to play SPM yet (thanks Nintendo! Screwing over Europe since 1975!) but from what I've heard and read it's equally fantastic (deserving in the +9.0 scorewise) as both PM1 and 2 which I can thoroughly recommend. With 3 vastly successful installments in the series, and arguably one of the best Mario spin-offs (in my opinion better than Mario Kart) of all time, I would think that it deserves a little representation.

To those that have never played Paper Mario games, let me explain. In the first 2 you are playing as Paper Mario in a wonderfully colourful and stylised world (different in each game of course). The entire world is 3D yet 2D at the same time and they use this to great advantage in both conveying the art form and style of the game as well as using it in puzzles and environments. The second one also introduces different field abilities and puzzles which use this feature more predominantly too. The whole story is told through the device of a storybook and your goal of both is to collect an amount of object X to thwart the evil doer. It is obviously much more complicated than that (kinda, it's Mario after all) but it illustrates nicely how the game is split up as you play through "Chapters". Character customisation is simple yet effective, at level up you can choose to increase either HP or FP (like mana points for all attacks other than default moves) by 5 or BP (badge points) by 3. Badges are the real ingenius part of Paper Mario 1 and 2 because by equipping them it allows great character customisation, and they add such things as new moves, different stat upgrades and added effects. Anyway if you haven't played either and are a fan of RPGs, I strongly recommend either (Wii VC download for the first if you can or cheap GC buy for the second).

Onto more moveset related things.

Paper Mario brings uniqueness, my moveset will attempt to prove that. Since I haven't played SPM I obviously cannot really use any of those elements found in it for a moveset but since it is more platformer I think I would make a better moveset from using the more RPG orientated first 2. What Mario brings to the table that no other would is partners. Any character could have a moveset based on their game with hammer moves and aerial attacks but what they can't offer are interchangable B moves reaching into a wealthy backcatalogue of partners. If this moveset was done more for SPM I would have a standard B moveset with interchangable B moves with different Pixels, but since the design PM1 and PM2 are so similar it wouldn't make sense to not take advantage of that. After all, half the partners in PM2 are revamped, improved versions of some of those found in PM1.

So what we're looking at here is a potentially very fun, unique moveset with the protagonist from an under-repped but very successful spinoff franchise who just happens to be Mario, albeit a bit flatter. Paintbrush boy (I'm looking at you Bowser Jr.!) can go suck a lemon, or something. That a big enough wall of text? I think so, right, onto the actual moves.

The Moveset

Ok, so here I'll just list the moves that Paper Mario will use, drawn from PM1 and 2 with references showing which game they're coming from. If there ain't a reference, it's because I couldn't think of anything and so yeah, made it up or stole it. Just as a little disclaimer, don't expect this moveset to be balanced or anything since I wouldn't have a clue where to start, any figures produced for damage or lagtime are purely placeholders for if a developer should choose to pick this up (never going to happen) and put some proper figures in their place.

A moves

A - Swings the hammer horizontally to the right - 2%
A,A - Swings the hammer horizontally to the left - 2%
A,A,A - Standard over-the-head hammer attack (PM1+2) - 5% (not an infinite A combo)

A->(tilt) - Fire Drive, creates a fireball and hits it with his hammer which then travels in a straight line for a short distance before fizzling out. Projectile A move? A tilt move? Yeah I went there. (PM2) - 9% (If anyone wants to ***** about it, the far more generic "Ice Smash with a small chance of freezing could be used, but this is far more fun isn't it?)
Av(tilt) - Quake Hammer, slams the hammer down infront of him causing major damage to those infront of him and a small quakey splash damage to those in a line infront of him for a small distance. Those hit by the hammer will also suffer the quake damage. (Adaptation from PM1+2, since he doesn't actually hit them with the hammer) - 7% / 4%
A^(tilt) - Hammer Throw, throws the hammer vertically up and then catches it again (PM1+2) - 8%

A->(smash) - Ultra Hammer, Paper Mario winds up (literally) and then unleashes a devastating blow for large damage. He continues to spin afterwards, doing minor damage to those who contact him for that brief period. The more you charge the smash, the more he winds up, just to be clear (PM2) - 15-23% / 4%
Av(smash) - Mega Quake, slams the hammer into the ground beneath him sending out devastating quakes either side of him. This move has high vertical knockback (Adaptation from PM1) - 14-21%
A^(smash) - Spring Jump, Paper Mario winds down (again, literally, he's paper you know) and then launches himself up vertically. Winds the more you charge and goes a greater vertical distance on top of additional damage (PM2). - 10-20%

Dash attack - Spindash (attack version), Paper Mario spins like a whirlwind dealing damage to anyone in his path (PM1). 8%

Nair - Spin Jump, Paper Mario rotates himself midair, proving a deadly blow to anyone that gets in the way of his spinning legs or finds themselves on the receiving end of Mario's bottom. While this move won't propel you downwards it will stop all upwards momentum (due to no downward stompyness, more of an adaptation of PM1+2) - 12%
Fair - Tornado Jump (PM2 version), Paper Mario spins forward, creating a tornado which combos enemies for 7 hits - 2% per hit, 14% max damage
Dair - Tornado Jump (PM1 version), Paper Mario spins vertically upwards before sharply coming back down again. While it propels you up vertically at first, the overall effect of the move is that you end up lower than you originally started. The downwards component only brings you down for a limited amount of time, and is also a meteor smash - 2% per combo on the way up (max 3 hits for 6%), 8% for the stomp
Bair - Power Jump, Paper Mario kicks behind him with vast power (PM1+2 adaptation) - 13%
Uair - Hammer Jab, jabs vertically upward with his hammer - 10%

Grab Moves

Paper Mario doesn't grab. Feet or hammer to the face is as about as close and personal as he gets, so this section will be improvised.

A - Hammer bonk, hits them on the head with the hammer - 3%

Forward - Throws them up slightly and hits them away with the hammer similar to Fire Drive but with human(ish) fireballs - 10%
Up - Spins round and then throws them vertically upwards - 8%
Backward - Winds up, spins around similar to Ultra Hammer and releases them flying backwards - 12%
Down - Hammers them down towards the ground - 9%

B Moves and Partners

This is where it gets interesting and unique. A simple tap of B will perform "Quick Change" which will simply swap to the next partner of which there are 4. The partner mechanics are simple, they provide the Bv and B> moves for Paper Mario and follow him around wherever he goes but never attack unless initiated with Bv or B>. They also affect the final smash for Paper Mario, as his final smash (to be expounded upon later) will be partner based. First the 2 moves which don't change.

B^ - Paper Mario plane (PM2) - Sure every little boy knows how to make a paper airplane, but only Paper Mario knows how to turn himself into one. He's that awesome. This move is controlled like it in the game, being that you need to push up to control it's descent otherwise it'll fall and be very ineffective, thus decent Paper Mario players will need to master the intricacies of aviation. This move has great horizontal recovery, potentially really awesome if you're good, but no vertical recovery whatsoever. However with Tornado Jump (PM1 version), Paper Mario does has (albeit a very limited) vertical recovery. Should players bump into the plane, they'll suffer a paper cut. Fools! - 8%

B - Quick change (PM2 badge) - Paper Mario switches between his 3 partners; Kooper (PM1), Bobbery (PM2) and Vivian (PM2) which rotate in that order, Kooper being the default partner but holding different buttons (Z for Bobbery, A Vivian) between stage selection and the match starting will result in different starting partners. Not much delay on the partner change and Paper Mario can't attack during it.

Partners

Kooper

Best Koopa going, even with the slightly tacky name.

B> - Dizzy Shell (PM1 Dark Koopa version minus the hilarious grin), Kooper is shot out spinning creating a tornado which disables/dizzies players who run into and then continues to spin on the spot for 2 seconds before returning - Anyone hit by the shell takes 9% damage, tornado does none

Bv - Shell Toss (PM2 improved version), Kooper is jumped on by Paper Mario and shoots out forwards before rocketing backwards past Paper Mario. If B continues to be held, Kooper will stay fixed on the spot until B is released at which point he will fire backwards - 14%

Admiral Bobbery!

You can't not love him, it's technically impossible.

B> - Bomb Squad (PM2), With a cheeky wink, Bobbery throws 3 miniature bomb-ombs in an arc over Paper Mario's head to land apart in a line infront of him. The bombs explode a short time later - 5% each

Bv - Bomb, with a cheeky wink, Bobbery starts to walk at his leisurely pace forwards for 3 seconds before exploding and landing back at Paper Mario's side. Another press of Bv at any time will stop Bobbery in his tracks, but he won't explode instantaneously as he'll take the remaining time of the 3 seconds to explode instead - 20%

Vivian

Much better than Casper.

B> - Shade Fist (PM2), Vivian appears infront of Paper Mario and punches forth with a flaming spectral fist - 14%
Bv - Veil (PM2), Vivian grabs Paper Mario and hides him in the ground for upwards of 1.5 seconds, at which point they resurface and Paper Mario suffers 0.5 seconds of delay. Paper Mario is immune to all attacks while under Vivian's Veil - 0%

Final Smash

Alright so Paper Mario technically has 3 final smashes depending on which partner he has out.

With Kooper out: The Koopa Bros. for PM1 appear and stack onto of Koopa in his shell, making a 5 man Koopa tower. Each Koopa in the tower adds to the height, making the Shell Toss move much harder to avoid. Dizzy Shell is replaced with "Fire Shell" (PM1) which does 22% per hit but you lose 1 of the Koopa Bros. each time you use it until all 4 Koopa Bros. are lost. Affect ends prematurely if Paper Mario is KO'd. Figures and effects subject to change depending on how overpowered FS are meant to be.

With Admiral Bobbery out: Bob-ombast, Admiral Bobbery walks foward, gives a cheeky wink and explodes feriociously damaging all in the blast radius for 50% damage with huge knockback (PM2). Figures and effects subject to change depending on how overpowered FS are meant to be.

With Vivian out: Fiery Jinx, Vivian engulfs the arena in pillars of flame which do 30% damage each. Figures and effects subject to change depending on how overpowered FS are meant to be.

Worst character suggestion ever, eh?

Zevox

Smash Lord
:laugh: Well now thats amusing. His "reasoning" for Paper Mario being in amounts to "he wouldn't be a clone" and "the Paper Mario games were good." Thats pretty sad, considering there are many characters that could be said of who have little to no chance of getting in.

Zevox

Shadowplusle

Smash Journeyman
Wiseguy! I can never catch you when you are online. but i was hoping that you could answer a question,

Since there have been a limited amount of character revelations, do you think that the character limit has gone down from fourty or is it that they are just building up the suspense?

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
:laugh: Well now thats amusing. His "reasoning" for Paper Mario being in amounts to "he wouldn't be a clone" and "the Paper Mario games were good." Thats pretty sad, considering there are many characters that could be said of who have little to no chance of getting in.

Zevox
Yeah, he was incorrect in thinking that the character stood a chance. His moveset, however, is ingenius.

Wiseguy! I can never catch you when you are online. but i was hoping that you could answer a question,

Since there have been a limited amount of character revelations, do you think that the character limit has gone down from fourty or is it that they are just building up the suspense?
I don't want to sound pessimistic, but I think there might be some truth to that theory. Wait for my list revisions for the nitty gritty.

hey wiseguy when you gonna update your list, it sure has been awhile.
Patience Grasshopper, you can't rush genius. I should be done my new list in a couple hours, or possibly early tommorow.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Are you finnally going to put Marth on it? I think we've seen more than enough from Ike to show that he's nothing even remotely like a Marth clone. And I personally think that FE deserves 3 reps because it's comming out with it's 11th game. It may just be a remake, but apparently they're adding some new stuff in it. Some of the story that was taken out from FE1 in the FE3 remake is being added back in, and they're adding at least 1 new character. Not enough to make an actual game though....so far.

Muhahahaha.

P.S Having both Ike and Marth would be cool. Just the contrast in styles between to "blue haired swordsmen," as you put them back when you thought they would be similar, would be awesome.

Copperpot

Smash Ace
Oh, you think Paper Mario doesn't stand a chance? It will be fun to see your reaction when you learn that he's playable. >8]
It doesn't change the fact that his inclusion is doubtful at best. Optimists can say what they will, but he's just Mario with a different art style.

Take Doctor Mario, for example. He was put into Melee (as a clone). Now, everyone and their distant relatives want him out. Sure, he was a clone in Melee, but he doesn't have to be in Brawl. Yet, nobody wants to see him return.

All I'm saying is, why kick one out, when your only reason for doing so is to replace him with more of the same?

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Unfortunately, Copperpot that doesn't mean that these alternates of the characters won't be playable. I'm thinking that WW Link has an really good chance of being playable.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Yes, WW style Link is one of the top competetors in spite of the fact that he is a Link. Paper Mario's chances are high though, because his competition. Who are his top competetors? Geno and Bowser Jr. of course. Bowser Jr. has the problem which is very close to PM's and that is that he's basically a second version of a existing character, this case Bowser. Now I know Bowser Jr. isn't Bowser technically, but he may as well be. Now it's not the fact that it's a second Bowser which is the problem here, it's the fact that by all rights, a second Mario would get in before a second Bowser. As for Geno, he's got way too many problems as it is, but I'd rather not get into that seeing how vocal his fans are. =/

Copperpot

Smash Ace
Well, as picky as I am, I consider WW Link and Paper Mario to be two different scenarios. From the perspective of their creator, Miyamoto, Paper Mario is the same character is the Mario from Galaxy, Sunshine, 64, etc. Case in point, there is only ONE Mario.

Now, Miyamoto created Link with a story that spans many different (but similar looking) characters. WW Link fighting against TP Link almost makes sense, because they aren't the same entity.

Edit: I just realized that my mind has been exploded . . . I forgot about the whole 'insert sexual reference with my brain here' that is Adult and Young Link in Melee . . .

. . . curse you, Sakurai . . . curse you . . .

Re-edit: A chance to redeem myself from my last pathetic edit! I suppose, the situation between Adult and Young Link's (both being from Ocarina of Time) could be compared to Mario and Paper Mario, but the fact still remains that TP Link does not equal WW Link. I know it's just semantics, but hey, I like 'em.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Well like Bowser and Bowser Jr, both Link and WW Link share the same name and look at the end ofthe day. Granted WW Link's look is Cel-tastic. In any case, I think it'd also be odd if Samus and Link got two forms and Mario ddn't. It just gives off a sense of balance if they all did though.

Arteen

Smash Lord
In any case, I think it'd also be odd if Samus and Link got two forms and Mario ddn't. It just gives off a sense of balance if they all did though.
Mario has Luigi.

Edit: I just realized that my mind has been exploded . . . I forgot about the whole 'insert sexual reference with my brain here' that is Adult and Young Link in Melee . . .
Don't forget Mario and Dr Mario.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Mario and Luigi are different. Luigi is actually a different person.

Although the truth is, is that Dark Samus is NOT Samus, and WW Link is NOT the Link that is playable.

Elysium

Smash Lord
But they're similar in the same way TP and WW Link are similar.
The only way they are similar is that they have the same name, have likelihood in the same clothes, carry a weapon called the "Master Sword", chase after some dude named Ganondorf, End up having to save some chick, have to go through tedious dungeons, Kill ugly monsters, and live happily ever after.
I'm sorry, there's still room for reasonable doubt and the jury knows it. Worst case scenario, hung jury and the trial is thrown. TP Link walks away cleared of all charges. *the crowd goes wild*

Top Bottom