• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prepare to be Astounded One Last Time: Wiseguy’s Brawl Predictions THE FINAL VERSION!

Elysium

Smash Lord
I believe more and more people are excepting him as a boss. Though I don't believe it. I know some guy came in the Krystal thread awhile back and said that there was a leak of the character select screen and some new screen shots, and depicted Ridley as a boss. There weren't any pictures or anything and we decided that it was a bunch of bull. But the more I look around it seems like people are bracing for a boss fight against Ridley. I could be wrong though

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Well, as picky as I am, I consider WW Link and Paper Mario to be two different scenarios. From the perspective of their creator, Miyamoto, Paper Mario is the same character is the Mario from Galaxy, Sunshine, 64, etc. Case in point, there is only ONE Mario.

Now, Miyamoto created Link with a story that spans many different (but similar looking) characters. WW Link fighting against TP Link almost makes sense, because they aren't the same entity.

Edit: I just realized that my mind has been exploded . . . I forgot about the whole 'insert sexual reference with my brain here' that is Adult and Young Link in Melee . . .

. . . curse you, Sakurai . . . curse you . . .

Re-edit: A chance to redeem myself from my last pathetic edit! I suppose, the situation between Adult and Young Link's (both being from Ocarina of Time) could be compared to Mario and Paper Mario, but the fact still remains that TP Link does not equal WW Link. I know it's just semantics, but hey, I like 'em.
Your initial argument is actually quite valid. The only reason Y.Link was in Melee was due to the game being rushed for release and they wanted to bulk up the roster. To put it this way, Melee was never supposed to have Pichu, Dr.Mario, Y.Link, Roy or Falco (notice I exclude Ganondorf because he was mot likely intended to be in the game and had a clone moveset due to time constraints).

I am quite fond of the Paper Mario series, but I doubt Paper Mario will be in Brawl. Sure he can have a moveset, but his purpose wouldn't be there. I would much rather have development time put into making Isaac and Olimar playable :p.

Cel Link on the other hand is a different entity, represents the more modern incarnation of Link, can have a moveset, and has more purpose.

Dark Samus will not get in because she is not deserving. Metroid, if it gets another rep, will get Ridley. No doubt about that.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I believe more and more people are excepting him as a boss. Though I don't believe it. I know some guy came in the Krystal thread awhile back and said that there was a leak of the character select screen and some new screen shots, and depicted Ridley as a boss. There weren't any pictures or anything and we decided that it was a bunch of bull. But the more I look around it seems like people are bracing for a boss fight against Ridley. I could be wrong though
Ridley is unique and should be playalble. It's not like there is a shortage of Metroid bosses. There are three famous bosses in Kraid, Mother Brain and Metroid Prime just to mention a few.

I also notice a lot of people nit picking on Ridley's size. There are two solutions to this:

1) Make Meta-Ridley playable. He isn't enormous and it wouldn't be awkward to make him slightly smaller.

2) Just re-size Ridley. Simple as that. This is exactly what they did in Melee's intro, and it can be done to a PC. It has also been done to characters such as Kirby and Bowser.

Ginger9001

Smash Ace
Ridley is unique and should be playalble. It's not like there is a shortage of Metroid bosses. There are three famous bosses in Kraid, Mother Brain and Metroid Prime just to mention a few.

I also notice a lot of people nit picking on Ridley's size. There are two solutions to this:

1) Make Meta-Ridley playable. He isn't enormous and it wouldn't be awkward to make him slightly smaller.

2) Just re-size Ridley. Simple as that. This is exactly what they did in Melee's intro, and it can be done to a PC. It has also been done to characters such as Kirby and Bowser.

Kirby was re-sized? O.o

And for now we can only guess that Kraid won't be a boss either if they bring back that one Samus stage with him in it. But your still right. xD

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
I think Paper Mario and Dark Samus would make truly excellent clones. You know, clones along the lines of Ganondorf/Captain Falcon in terms of degrees of separation.

If Brawl has clones, which I kind of hope it does, those two would be top picks for me.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Sakurai confirmed that Brawl would not have clones. I would rather have precious dvelopment time spent on a new character opposed to a clone.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
There actually is no word on if clones are going to be back in or not. Sakurai hasn't stated anything about them.

In any case, PM isn't a clone at all, and it would actually be awkward if he was. Shooting fire and water are not thing a paper man would normally do. And with all the things he has used in the PM series, he could easily be one of the most unique characters around. Of course the main problem is that he is Mario, though in my own opinion, that still beats out BJ and Geno.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai confirmed that Brawl would not have clones. I would rather have precious dvelopment time spent on a new character opposed to a clone.
Sakurai never said there wouldn't be clones. So near as I can figure, he said not all characters would return, and that returning clones would be made more unique.

Besides, clones are made after there isn't any more development time for new characters, so it's not like they take time away from the unique characters.

All I'm saying is if it comes down to either having a character as a clone or not having a character at all, I choose clone.

Sasha

Smash Journeyman
Umm... Proof maybe? Making such a claim demands more than just BS reasoning.

And I don't see why there wouldn't be clones in Melee. Ganondorf, Falco, and Dr. Mario were/are very popular in Melee and are used (secondaried if not mained) by many people as well. Even SSB64 had Luigi. If anything we should be expecting more Luigi-fied clones.

EDIT: And I agree with OysterMeister. I'd happily take clones over no character at all. If the clones were rushed and quickly made to be put into Melee, maybe they already have some clones made or in mind for Brawl.

Ginger9001

Smash Ace
Umm... Proof maybe? Making such a claim demands more than just BS reasoning.

And I don't see why there wouldn't be clones in Melee. Ganondorf, Falco, and Dr. Mario were/are very popular in Melee and are used (secondaried if not mained) by many people as well. Even SSB64 had Luigi. If anything we should be expecting more Luigi-fied clones.

EDIT: And I agree with OysterMeister. I'd happily take clones over no character at all. If the clones were rushed and quickly made to be put into Melee, maybe they already have some clones made or in mind for Brawl.

I would of been bashing him also for making such a comment, but I thought he was maybe saying that there will be no more clone characters as in characters such as Ganondorf and Falco will have less similar moves then who they were copying off of, making them "non-clones". o.o

Elysium

Smash Lord

I'm not again Ridley. Wisey showed me the light a long time ago. That was just what I was seeing.

mas369

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I'm under the impression that Sakurai won't put any clones in. Heck, I'm still kind of questioning if Luigi will come back. But, if Pokemon Trainer and Ice Climbers have proven anything, is that anything can happen, including up to half of the playable roster being clones.

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
Personally, I'm under the impression that Sakurai won't put any clones in. Heck, I'm still kind of questioning if Luigi will come back. But, if Pokemon Trainer and Ice Climbers have proven anything, is that anything can happen, including up to half of the playable roster being clones.
alright i have a huge problem with this. Why, at any point at time would you think that luigi would not be returning? Second, clones were added in melee because of time constraints. I think clones should return, they should be an added bonus.

mas369

Smash Apprentice
alright i have a huge problem with this. Why, at any point at time would you think that luigi would not be returning? Second, clones were added in melee because of time constraints. I think clones should return, they should be an added bonus.
Yeah, maybe I just over-thought this whole clone buisness. I am a pestimist by nature and can't really support any character because, to me, the negatives seem to have more weight than the positives. Luigi will definantly get in, but I still can't accept anything as absolute until it is on the Dojo.

Arteen

Smash Lord
I like clones. Clones can still be interesting characters, even if they share similar moves. Ganon and Falcon share moves, but play significantly differently. Same with Falco and Fox. In fact, I would prefer Falco to remain a clone in Brawl. I like his moveset and playstyle over Fox's moveset and playstyle, and if Falco doesn't make it in, I probably wouldn't play as Fox even though the two share similar movesets. Besides, the more the merrier.

Raptorbite

Smash Apprentice
To the OP:

The "Wolf" costume was deconfirmed as being the Dark Fox costume (in Sakurai's own words in the Color Changes update) which was a good 2 weeks ago. Updated Daily(ish) my butt!

Wu Tang Gang

Smash Ace
I think Paper Mario and Dark Samus would make truly excellent clones. You know, clones along the lines of Ganondorf/Captain Falcon in terms of degrees of separation.

If Brawl has clones, which I kind of hope it does, those two would be top picks for me.
Just because those two look alike to their respective lookalikes, doesn't mean they're clones. Get your facts straight. Paper Mario has the Ground Pound, the Hammer, the Hammer moves, assists, all that ****.

Dark Samus, has too many moves to mention. Just click the Dark Samus tag in my sig and check through the first post.

Elysium

Smash Lord
I'll go against the grain and say that this update was interesting in a small way. The most interesting part of it was the pity final smash. Could this lead to FS vs FS battles, say Mario's FS against Samus's FS. Thats worthy of "interesting" isn't it?

User33

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai has NEVER said there wouldn't be clones.

Find me a link, and I'll believe you.

The Dragon

Smash Journeyman
i think this was a good update.. i mean it cleared up the theory that you cant turn of smash balls, most of us new you would be able too but this makes it official. And 2 we now know that game music wont be limited to the songs from the stages, this was a good update in my eyes

Copperpot

Smash Ace
Sakurai has NEVER said there wouldn't be clones.

Find me a link, and I'll believe you.
I, for some reason, remember reading an interview a while back where Sakurai states that he 'doesn't like the idea of clones.' Go through Smashwiki, and you can probably find the complete interview with a cited page. Anyone else remember this?

Regardless, this in no way says that there won't be clones in Brawl, but you've got to admit that his tone implies that he doesn't want to add them. He must have some trick up his sleeve . . . Alternate costumes, maybe?

That, right there, would be the ultimate fan service; it's still feasible. Sakurai stated that not all characters would return from Melee, and while it may be simple to bring all of the characters from Melee back by using alternate costumes, there is probably at least one character on the roster that Sakurai simply does not want to resurrect. I'm looking at you, Pichu.

But, at least fans would be able to play as Roy, Young Link (Ocarina), Dr. Mario and Falco without affecting the roster.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
Just because those two look alike to their respective lookalikes, doesn't mean they're clones. Get your facts straight. Paper Mario has the Ground Pound, the Hammer, the Hammer moves, assists, all that ****.

Dark Samus, has too many moves to mention. Just click the Dark Samus tag in my sig and check through the first post.
Mario also has the ground pound, hammer, hammer moves, and even assists. It's Paper Mario's ability to roll up into a tube, or glide as a paper airplane, and paper stuff like that that makes him unique. And if you wanted to, you could add those moves to a cloned moveset and have yourself a nice clone character.
Take Mario, flatten him, make him super-light, change his running attack to the paper tube roll, and allow him to glide as the paper airplane. Bam. Now you've got a fantastic clone who shares Mario's moves but plays nothing like him.

And yeah, Dark Samus has enough for her own moveset. But the point is that she wouldn't look out of place using any of Samus' moves (provided that they had enough blue sparks to look Phazonish), so giving her Samus' moveset isn't out of the question. And with some new animations for movement (floating instead of running) you could have a very cool character relatively easily.
Personaly, I like the idea of Dark Samus as a clone because I find it hard to imaging both Dark Samus AND Ridley (two of my most-wanted characters) getting a newcomer spot on the roster. But a newcomer and a clone? Now that could happen.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord

Mario can ground pound and use a hammer out of his paper form.

Top Bottom