• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Sion

Island of Horizon
thought it was called laser reset lol

anyways, it happens when your opponent tumbles/falls to the ground, but they didn't tech the initial hit, so the laser hits them before the opponent gets up.

not sure if that makes any sense, but i tried.

AvengerAngel

Smash Journeyman
Lol yeah, laser reset. I dunno how I came up with "laser lock". Maybe it's a Brawl thing... and I don't even play Brawl, lulz
So... if they didn't miss the tech it just doesn't work, does it?

Duh, I'm trying to get better at tech chasing but I can't figure out what to do with Falco x(

JPOBS

Smash Hero
You mean Laser reset?

Lasers have so little knockback that they cant SDI it or roll out so im like 99% sure they are garunteed to stand at all times.

I've noticed that the laser can indeed hit just before the opponent lands and it will still work, its really wierd, you just have to shoot it low

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
laser lock was an infinite combo in brawl where you opponent missed a tech and you standing lasered them infinitely, :laugh:

what a stupid game. there's some video of Spammer doing it to a DDD I think, but w/e, it's really no more interesting than it sounds.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
Does anybody know how does the lazer lock work? I mean that stuff you do when you shoot a lazer to an opponent on the ground and force their tech.
More specifically: when should the lazer hit my opponent? I've got the feeling it works even when he's about to touch the ground (but not touching it yet), but I'm not sure o_O

I dunno if it makes sense, lol
late to the party, blame the netherlands.

X1-12

Smash Champion
There's a DRPP match when he does a sick laser reset on someone on the top platform of BF from a fullhop laser and the commentator is like "OMG LAZER RESET!!"

if someone can find it thats a pretty good example

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
There's a DRPP match when he does a sick laser reset on someone on the top platform of BF from a fullhop laser and the commentator is like "OMG LAZER RESET!!"

if someone can find it thats a pretty good example
I think another one is Shiz/Falcomist on FoD? BF, and Bob$ goes nuts.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
This is a series of questions only for the best, most knowledgeable Falco players/mains. People who are mediocre, or not as good as me need not answer.

Question 1:

Versus Falcon:

Raptor Boost is my bane. I'm unable to figure out how to keep this either from outright beating everything I do, or trading with my aerials.

I try early nair: Raptor Boost beats it out.

I try late nair: The Falcon player recognizes I'm trying to delay my aerial and changes the timing, resulting in beating me out.

I try rising Dair: Raptor Boost usually trades.

I try late Dair: Same situation as above.

Laser: Unless I get like perfect ground lasers, it goes right through my laser, yet the laser is quite visibly going THROUGH Falcon's Body.

Versus Stop OOS:

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. If I shine, Falcon's dair pulls his legs up, resulting in him DODGING the shine.

If I utilt, Dair beats it out, or misses as he's rising, same situation above.

Versus Nair:

this move just beats everything I do except for high lasers.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I raise these questions because I've been playing with GG7 and Vectorman alot. I noticed that in the exact same situations, vman would win the exchanges what I'm losing miserably. When I asked him what he's doing different, he pulls some **** and bull story about how he can't explain what he's doing differently.

Videos to come later. Probably Wednesday or Thursday.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
hmm...funny that you should feel as if you're above anyones advice when you cant even deal with raptor boost, a move that has next to no priority, and stomp OOS which is slow as sin and in now way magically beats or avoids uptilt.

but alas, humility is a trait best learned, not born with i suppose.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
This is a series of questions only for the best, most knowledgeable Falco players/mains. People who are mediocre, or not as good as me need not answer.

Question 1:

Versus Falcon:

Raptor Boost is my bane. I'm unable to figure out how to keep this either from outright beating everything I do, or trading with my aerials.

I try late nair: The Falcon player recognizes I'm trying to delay my aerial and changes the timing, resulting in beating me out.

Laser: Unless I get like perfect ground lasers, it goes right through my laser, yet the laser is quite visibly going THROUGH Falcon's Body.

Versus Stop OOS:

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. If I shine, Falcon's dair pulls his legs up, resulting in him DODGING the shine.

Versus Nair:

I raise these questions because I've been playing with GG7 and Vectorman alot. I noticed that in the exact same situations, vman would win the exchanges what I'm losing miserably. When I asked him what he's doing different, he pulls some **** and bull story about how he can't explain what he's doing differently.

Laser low to beat raptor boost. You could always CC it, but I default to shield when I'm able to react to it. I think I can typically get away with a Dair OOS if I'm not mistaken, which makes for good times.

Ahhh so more Falcons are beating Utilt with stomp(SS was doing this vs me at pound 4). Yeah I'm kinda working on this myself, but I don't get to practice vs Falcon much so testing is hard. Try to get behind him and then Bair as you cross him up instead of Utilt or shine(good mixup). You might also want to just pressure him and then start backing off faster just to see if you can bait out the stomp and make Falcon afraid to use it.

As for Nair, CC **** it, Utilt **** it, and I've seen some weird Nair approaches or defensive Bairs that have beaten it. Kinda depends on how Falcon uses the Nair as well(hardcore spacing or trying to snipe your retreating lasers).

Hope that helps bro.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
hmm...funny that you should feel as if you're above anyones advice when you cant even deal with raptor boost, a move that has next to no priority, and stomp OOS which is slow as sin and in now way magically beats or avoids uptilt.

lol this
literally anything beats raptor boost

edit, actually stomp oos does sometime avoid utilt in a way that the uptilt misses but yea

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to

Question 1:

Versus Falcon:

Versus Stop OOS:

Versus Nair:

vs. Raptor Boost, i fadeback with a shffl dair, which always wins out for me... not sure what the problem is here, I guess I'd need to see the replay on that one.

vs. Stomp OoS, i usually cross up their shield with a dair or nair, then when I land on the other side, I just pop up with a quick bair. utilt is supposed to be the counter, but I actually have the same problem as you a lot, so I typically do aerial crossup -> aerial.

vs. Nair, your moves outprioritize it, but it outspaces you. you need to ground him with lasers so that you can control the horizontal spacing to get close enough for priority > spacing.

Don't assume Vman's bull****ting you. It's frequently difficult to analyze exactly what's going wrong with another player.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
dash attack is a pretty solid way to take falcons out of their raptor boost, and requires no timing or tech skill or spacing or anything so long as youre ready

Sion

Island of Horizon
if you see a stomp oos coming, you could always throw out another aerial if you really feel unsafe about utilt.

Sion

Island of Horizon
ruby, i can't even tell if you're trying to troll me or you're really questioning as to why it wouldn't work.

to answer your question honestly: i'm pretty confident that the aerial that hits the shield doesn't have to be early, meaning that you can do a late aerial on shield to something like a bair. hell, i hit falcon's shield with the earliest dair i can possibly do from a short hop and not get punished (with proper spacing). i've played enough vs falcon to know what options he has oos and what beats it.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero

Instead of being a ****ing sarcastic prick, actually give advice if you think you're any good.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
ruby, i can't even tell if you're trying to troll me or you're really questioning as to why it wouldn't work.

to answer your question honestly: i'm pretty confident that the aerial that hits the shield doesn't have to be early, meaning that you can do a late aerial on shield to something like a bair. hell, i hit falcon's shield with the earliest dair i can possibly do from a short hop and not get punished (with proper spacing). i've played enough vs falcon to know what options he has oos and what beats it.
k just finished playing a friend. a second aerial is far too slow to beat out stomp oos.

you have no idea what you're talking about.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Laser low to beat raptor boost. You could always CC it, but I default to shield when I'm able to react to it. I think I can typically get away with a Dair OOS if I'm not mistaken, which makes for good times.

Ahhh so more Falcons are beating Utilt with stomp(SS was doing this vs me at pound 4). Yeah I'm kinda working on this myself, but I don't get to practice vs Falcon much so testing is hard. Try to get behind him and then Bair as you cross him up instead of Utilt or shine(good mixup). You might also want to just pressure him and then start backing off faster just to see if you can bait out the stomp and make Falcon afraid to use it.

As for Nair, CC **** it, Utilt **** it, and I've seen some weird Nair approaches or defensive Bairs that have beaten it. Kinda depends on how Falcon uses the Nair as well(hardcore spacing or trying to snipe your retreating lasers).

Hope that helps bro.
i already covered low lasers. unless the laser is riding the ground raptor boost will go through the ****ing thing.

low lasers are also ****ty against falcon. mid lasers cover all options except for double jump which is easy to react to, and raptor boost which has a 100% accuracy rating against me.

Sion

Island of Horizon
maybe vids will clear this up? in my experience, stomp oos RARELY beats utilt after an aerial.

maybe you're doing it wrong, bro.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
vs. Raptor Boost, i fadeback with a shffl dair, which always wins out for me... not sure what the problem is here, I guess I'd need to see the replay on that one.

vs. Stomp OoS, i usually cross up their shield with a dair or nair, then when I land on the other side, I just pop up with a quick bair. utilt is supposed to be the counter, but I actually have the same problem as you a lot, so I typically do aerial crossup -> aerial.

vs. Nair, your moves outprioritize it, but it outspaces you. you need to ground him with lasers so that you can control the horizontal spacing to get close enough for priority > spacing.

Don't assume Vman's bull****ting you. It's frequently difficult to analyze exactly what's going wrong with another player.
i've found that retreating dair works, but raptor boost is usually done either:

After a whiffed aerial.
After a roll.
during a retreating laser (mid to cover most of falcons options)

GG7 (and to a slightly lesser extent, Jetfour) generally do raptor boost during relatively safe moments, so I'm not usually put in a situation to where I can think "ok, i'm going to reverse my momentum and do a retreating dair." by the time that thought would have gone through my head I'd have lost a stock since they've got tech chasing down to a science.

situations where a retreating dair isn't usually a viable option. generally i'm in the midst of an approaching dair or nair, or he's pressuring me because i choke as soon as i loose my footing.

Sion

Island of Horizon
i basically said the same thing, so are you saying drpp doesn't know what he's talking about? i'm pretty sure a second aerial would not be beaten by a stomp oos.

i'm not even gonna try to help you, dude. you probably just think of me as someone worse than you are, which might very well be true, but definitely not proven. it's always the same crap

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
maybe vids will clear this up? in my experience, stomp oos RARELY beats utilt after an aerial.

maybe you're doing it wrong, bro.
I play with GG7, an extremely good falcon main, and jetfour, another very good player, and Vectorman, a falco who's alot better than me on a regular basis, plus PP and Mogwai expressed that they too have been getting beaten out by stomp oos by aerial > crossup utilt.

if i was doing something wrong, i'm fairly certain they would have told me, or i would have figured it out by now. i'm not exactly dumb, and i'm not exactly bad at this game.

I'd like to think i'm fairly more knowledgeable about my character than most of SWF.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
i basically said the same thing, so are you saying drpp doesn't know what he's talking about? i'm pretty sure a second aerial would not be beaten by a stomp oos.

i'm not even gonna try to help you, dude. you probably just think of me as someone worse than you are, which might very well be true, but definitely not proven. it's always the same crap
I fail to see how bair, which comes out slower than utilt, will win.

booshk

Smash Lord
if you were good i'd have heard of you.
sooo you're saying drpp is wrong? :p
i mean the best is giving you advice, and you still think it's wrong. i don't know how anyone could possibly help you then :p

Sion

Island of Horizon
i'm okay at the game, but i'm sure i know a hell of a lot haha

anyways, if you're as knowledgeable with falco as you say you are, i'm sure you can figure out ways to counter whatever is happening to you. you're definitely not a new player, so create your own way of beating falcon. i'm not saying GG7 isn't good or anything, i'm just saying i think it's a 70-30 matchup for falco.

btw, aerial cross up on shield to bair works pretty well. i'm gonna stand by that, mediocre or not

edit: LOL booshk

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
sooo you're saying drpp is wrong? :p
i mean the best is giving you advice, and you still think it's wrong. i don't know how anyone could possibly help you then :p
why don't YOU elaborate on HOW THE **** A SLOWER MOVE IS SUPPOSEDLY BETTER. **** DOES ALL OF THE FALCO BOARDS HAVE THE DERP?

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
i'm okay at the game, but i'm sure i know a hell of a lot haha

anyways, if you're as knowledgeable with falco as you say you are, i'm sure you can figure out ways to counter whatever is happening to you. you're definitely not a new player, so create your own way of beating falcon. i'm not saying GG7 isn't good or anything, i'm just saying i think it's a 70-30 matchup for falco.

btw, aerial cross up on shield to bair works pretty well. i'm gonna stand by that, mediocre or not

edit: LOL booshk
If i was able to figure something out i wouldn't have made that post you ******** ****.

Sion

Island of Horizon
then you're obviously not as knowledgeable as you say. i'll just let drpp or someone who you respect handle this 'cause you obviously don't take advice from fellow falco players like myself. i had trouble with this matchup before and i thought i could shed some light on it for you because i had found ways around it (because i thought about stuff that falcon can't beat), but i guess not.

good day, sir

Bob Money

Smash Ace
Stomp should only beat falcos aerial if you hit his shield too early/high so his shield stun is gone by the time you land. and even then you can just shield and aim your shield and punish.
back air ***** falcon so hard.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
then you're obviously not as knowledgeable as you say. i'll just let drpp or someone who you respect handle this 'cause you obviously don't take advice from fellow falco players like myself. i had trouble with this matchup before and i thought i could shed some light on it for you because i had found ways around it (because i thought about stuff that falcon can't beat), but i guess not.

good day, sir
because when i used to let people like you attempt to give me advice i'd get rung around in circles with ****ty ****ing advice by mediocre players who cannot for the life of them elaborate on simple ****ing subjects.

I'd rather just dickride good players and get advice that isn't ****ing awful, like what Mogwai posted.

Sion

Island of Horizon
you're right, i don't elaborate. why, you ask? i gave you too much credit as a falco player. i'm pretty sure common sense tells you whether it's good advice or not.

i'm going to bed before i start acting more like an idiot lol

Top Bottom