• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

X1-12

Smash Champion
Ok I'm probably getting annoying now with all the questions but anyone can answer this really, no need to bother PP or whatever.. BUT

what do you guys think of (facing inwards) Up-tilt to bair/dair edgeguard.. the up-tilt hitbox is actually really big (extends from the floor to above falco's head) and it takes half as long as D-smash.. It seems best mainly vs spacies but i don't think I've ever seen it done in a match..

PS I know the hitbox video is for fox hut they're basically the same

JPOBS

Smash Hero
when spacies try to side-B onto the stage/into you, its pretty good, people do it all the time and follow it up with a bair to send them back off stages.

its not an optimum edgeguard though, there are better things you can do like run off->dair but its not that bad and fun to do.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Ok I'm probably getting annoying now with all the questions but anyone can answer this really, no need to bother PP or whatever.. BUT

what do you guys think of (facing inwards) Up-tilt to bair/dair edgeguard.. the up-tilt hitbox is actually really big (extends from the floor to above falco's head) and it takes half as long as D-smash.. It seems best mainly vs spacies but i don't think I've ever seen it done in a match..

PS I know the hitbox video is for fox hut they're basically the same
I like staying turned around and uptilting because I think there's a better chance I'll hit them before they get through me if they get hit with the part of the uptilt that sticks back farther. Also, it lets me Bair easier if they end up not side-B'ing into me.

X1-12

Smash Champion
when spacies try to side-B onto the stage/into you, its pretty good, people do it all the time and follow it up with a bair to send them back off stages.

its not an optimum edgeguard though, there are better things you can do like run off->dair but its not that bad and fun to do.
what about vs spacies upB? if they go high you usually have enough time to do another one and hit them or

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i've never tried it vs upb or seen it done. i cant see it being effective unless they upb right into you.

i guess you could just cover that option, and if they go high, you have time to chase with something

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
Chillin taught me to utilt whichever way i'm facing as soon as I hear the bing if someone's illusioning on stage. you can bair them back off like 99% of the time. i dont think it works well against up b... maybe if you time it perfectly, but i think it's worth your while to just turn around and utilt with your back to them for that.

edit: i have a question about sheik, because i cant figure out this **** matchup

what do i do when she's spacing tilts on my shield? my friend today was playing and he would just stand right out of grab/shield range and ftilt my shield. i know i can roll out but that seems so easy to punish. sh nair can work but it seems really risky too if she just CCs or i time it a little wrong. any good ideas on this one?

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
i did a lot of SH dairing and got grabbed a lot for it. the thing is sh dair is too easy to react to. if i SH early dair, the hitbox isn't at his face for a while and he has time to get out of the way, and if I SH late dair, he can just tilt me out of my SH. it worked like maybe 1/4 times but I was hoping for something safer. WD back oos seems reasonable if I learn how to time it. The thing is I'm not sure how much is sheik really shutting down my options and how much is me being bad at the matchup :-\

edit: is fadeaway SH dair safe?

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
wd oos *****, esp when yu fsmash after it (if yu think the opp doesnt have quick enough reflexes.)

full jumping is beast. wavelanding to another platform.

rolling away is quick enough and not easily reacted to, unless the sheik actually waits for a moment after every tilt.

SH dairing shud work, i don't really get what yu mean about it not being in his face for a while. I don't think it's very easily reacted to. have yu played someone who was able to react to your sh dair attempt? cuz if not that theres no point in theorizing that it wudnt work when it does a decent amount of time imo.

actually yu cud probs get away with doing like anything except rolling towards which will almost always get yu wrecked. and sheildgrabbing when its spaced.

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
So i need help with Falco dittos again. Well, I did get the person to Shine OOS, but he kept on actually hitting me with it T.T then death comboing me.
Also, When i tried to Shine OOS, it never worked. Like i'd get punished cuz i missed. Any help on the approach and the Do's and Don'ts?

unknown522

Some guy
edit: i have a question about sheik, because i cant figure out this **** matchup

what do i do when she's spacing tilts on my shield? my friend today was playing and he would just stand right out of grab/shield range and ftilt my shield. i know i can roll out but that seems so easy to punish. sh nair can work but it seems really risky too if she just CCs or i time it a little wrong. any good ideas on this one?
if you really wanted to, you can u-smash OoS when she's above CC percent.

But yeah, WD back is most recommended like JPobs said. You can laser some more and regain control.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i hate it when both you and your opponent are on the same sh laser timing and keep hitting each other lol

Laser->sheild is how you win laser wars.

pray you powersheild one of his lasers.
to mix it up, do double jump double lasers so that you get on a different timing than your opponent and maybe you can sneak a laser past him and gain momentum.

unknown522

Some guy
****s mad hard =/

i always end up giving up on lasers in dittos cuz i always seem to lose that battle.

i hate fighting falco, brokenass character gawd****
I know that it was unrealistic to say that, but I don't have a real answer to laser wars. It's all about hitting the first laser.

X1-12

Smash Champion
What about CC'ing his lasers? surely each time you would be able to fire again faster until you can hit him before he fires

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
i just shoot them more and it usually works. i really don't know how to explain laser dittos, but for whatever reason I seem to be pretty good at them. PP told me at Pound that I shoot them at the right height, but I honestly don't think much about them anymore so I'm unfit to give advice on getting better at them, :laugh:

Deathgazer

Smash Ace
So i need help with Falco dittos again. Well, I did get the person to Shine OOS, but he kept on actually hitting me with it T.T then death comboing me.
Also, When i tried to Shine OOS, it never worked. Like i'd get punished cuz i missed. Any help on the approach and the Do's and Don'ts?
think of shining oos like a double shine except you dont press the first shine. get the motion/timing right when you slide from Y => B (or which ever way you double shine)
If you could do perfect double shines, then technically you could do perfect shine oos, but you just need to get used to the timing.

If you want to practice, just shield and try to do the double shine motion.

the way i do shine oos is
when im in shield:
press Y as I let go of L (shield)
after you press Y you slide to B at the same time as pressing down on the control stick to shine/

hope that helped

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
i do what this guy said, but with x if i'm falco, and y if i'm fox. lol that way theres less of a difference in my finger speed to do it, it's just that one button is a little bit farther away, so it works out in the end.

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
i use y for both characters cuz I hit the a button too much when I try going from x to b.

thats about the only time i use the y button too

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
i use y for both characters cuz I hit the a button too much when I try going from x to b.

thats about the only time i use the y button too
i hit the a button almost every single time. However it hasn't been affecting me cuz usually falco is in some sort of lag so it doesn't register. bad habit tho

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
ya he usually is in some sort of lag so it doesn't matter much.

and even when i hit the a button when he isn't in lag it just ends up doing a quick aerial oos which often gets the job done for me, even if its not what I intended.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
now that i think about it, i'm not sure why i don't accidentally nair OOS, but i know i just slide super fast from x to b...

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i use joystick to shine oos but the method u use isnt the problem

the problem is timing it so you're out of shield stun, otherwise you'll spotdodge or something stupid

X1-12

Smash Champion
now that i think about it, i'm not sure why i don't accidentally nair OOS, but i know i just slide super fast from x to b...
pressing any button during your start-up jump animation is ignored unless its an up-smash or grab or something that can be JC'ed is ignored

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
oh ya... i knew that lol. i just did it tho, i never thought about it

EDIT:

new **** thing to do on platforms. you ever really wanna get that fsmash a little bit sooner? but theres no more platforms to waveland up to and hit it?

so like your opponents a fast faller, around 30-40 you shine them, they go up, instead of just aerialing after them, waveland backwards off the platform, and then dbl jump into a dbl laser immediately and fsmash. looks hot works good. you can even do this on like FD from the edge, if you ledge hop dair, shine, waveland off stage, and jump into a dbl laser, then fsmash.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
i've seen ppl fall for it way too many times for you to simply say it won't work. maybe it's not a true combo, but seriously ppl get hit with it all the time.

Fernandez

Smash Journeyman
What should i do against a peach floating above my shorthop lasers, but beneath double jump/full jump lasers?
I think full jump dair/bair/nair is too risky because you can get naired.
I just try to be patient and wait till they land but its kinda anoying that i can't hit her with anything.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i do one of 3 things:
1. try to predict/react when they are gonna fall down with a fair ad beat it with uptilt
2. use platforms to hit them with laser
3. run away until they stop doing that

i usually do number 3 the most but i do number 1 when i feel like a pimp

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
ive been playing my friend's samus a lot lately and ive learned some things. i wanna find out if they work on better samuses, though, or if he's just missing ways out.

if samus is holding the ledge and i stand like... .75 full-distance shorthops away and SHL, is there some easy way for her to recover? ive had a lot of success just using laser -> ftilt if she jumps or stands up, if she does the jumping from ledge recover (like not ledgedrop, just hit jump), it's easy to jump up and nair. if she rolls back i have time to sh backwards a little and dair or grab or ftilt. i'm just outside of ledgehop fair range, and if i mess up it's easy to CC anyway. am i wrong, or is this just really hard for samus to get around?

Top Bottom