• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*Pound* V Melee Results and Shoutouts Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLake

Smash Master
Shout outs to like...

a bunch of pepole

im terrible at this....

and normally i would just post my phone number

for any ladies i missed

but i have a gf now soo...

Ill just post a poem

Smash is fun
I had a good time with everyone
Bless you all, my faithful friends
i cant wait till i can kick you all again

<3

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
I can't believe I just read through every page in this thread just now. God damn it, I need my life back.

CogSmooch's posts are hilarious. Because of that, they're all in my signature now.

SoCal (Hugs) makes me anticipate attending Genesis 2 after my debts are paid off.

Also lol @ some random having a picture of Bronson as his avatar. Weird.

I WISH WASN'T A POOR ****ER SO I COULD HAVE ATTENDED.

Good **** to everyone in the livestream.

adam hur kan man njuta av att tala engelska? lol kan inte vänta att se dig
Genesis 2, dude. Can't wait to root for you. :bee:

JPOBS

Smash Hero
my shoutouts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iu0ozOcerY

jpobs, you were in the original version of this, as was tafokints.
jpobs, you are the t-dot version of pc jona. you're hilarious, and i know ontario is better on the whole because of you.
tafo, we didn't relaly ctalk too much, but you were pri gud at eating chipotle. hope you come back to EC again.
also, throwing rock at d1.
i just saw this.

my dude <3

ANTi_

Smash Hero
Why do the Brawl results get the payouts and mains listed, when it was about 100 competitors smaller than Melee. Grr....
Because TheTantalus ran brawl, Not Plank.

And why hasn't plank posted at all this week at least clearing **** up -_-

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
ahhhh! smash has turned from wc vs ec...

into AZ VS NC! TOO LEGIT!!!!!!!!!!

honestly both regions have many fans and some kind of az vs nc competition would inspire a lot of hype, and mad people would be taking sides. so good

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Has anyone heard anything about the prize money?

I've been gone a day or so an was wondering if Plank had said anything anywhere about it.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
Has anyone heard anything about the prize money?

I've been gone a day or so an was wondering if Plank had said anything anywhere about it.
I read something on his facebook that he was having a conference call with the hotel today/yesterday (can't remember) but as soon as that was settled he could figure out prize money.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Imortant Post

After weeks of trying to get money back/barter with the hotel I regretfully am faced with informing everybody that there is not going to be any prize money at this time from *Pound*. The hotel was rented out on a sliding scale of rooms rented and that would lower the cost of the venue. I got a really amazing place in a convenient location because we expected MORE entrants. We budgeted so we would be still fine with COMPARABLE entrants. However with over 100 entrants less for melee and like 60 less for brawl, being short those funds/hotel rooms really screwed everything. I'm taking a slight hit myself for even hosting the event.

I still held some hope even through the event the funds I collected in person would be enough to at least PARTIALLY pay people out and give them SOMETHING for their performance. However so many people cancelled their rooms or no-showed the weekend of the tournament that it dropped the room rental down below the threshhold and I got charged EVEN MORE (the money I planned on paying entrants).

The place was crazy expensive but everything would've been fine with a more expected turnout. This mixed with people cramming into rooms (I saw a ton of rooms with extra people in them. More people=less rooms rented=more money I have to pay to hotel=less prizes).

I had to rent out a certain # of rooms to fulfill my contract, and once I rented these rooms I tried to bribe people to get into these rooms for cheap and use that money to help fund the tournament.

With Pound 4 being so successful and the biggest downfall being the distance of travel between the hotel and the airports, and with the new venue being right next to an airport with the venue INSIDE the hotel, along with all the promotional deals, we expected such a larger number than what we got.

This is why there was no internet at the venue and why I went out and got my own PA system for 1/5 the price of the venue PA system. I knew coming into it that prizes were going to be tough and maybe smaller but the room cancellations the weekend of the venue was really the nail in the coffin. There were over 30 cancellations the last week and I had bought out the difference of rooms (had to because of my contract) and so even with the 90 rooms I was forced to purchase it still came up short and cost even more money.

I am at least glad everyone had a good time while they were there before I had to drop this bomb..... I was really hoping it wouldn't come to this. The event was overall just not successful at all on a financial level. I really apologize again and I know it won't do justice, and I know I'm going to get tons of **** for it but there is absolutely nothing I can do at this point.

So....I'm sorry again...I never expected this and when I saw it slightly starting to happen I tried my hardest to get more people to come and to find alternate ways to make money, but to no avail. I'm probably not going to really log back in to check this much because I already know the backlash I will get and it will just make me feel worse so I'll just leave it at that.

I guess thats the best I can do as far as this post goes...... I had to let everybody know, hopefully my friends realize that this was just a horrible misjudgement/sequence of events, but I definitely do expect people to be pissed, clearly I would too, but there is nothing that can be done at this point so all I can do is say "I'm sorry" like a broken record.

so....

I'm sorry :(

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
You say not going to be any prize money at this time... but like... will there ever be any prize money? If the prize money as of now is going to the venue (as it seems) that means there is just straight up no prize money... so like, where could it ever conceivably come from?

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
I don't want to see anybody give Plank any kind of **** about this.

That guy worked his *** off and took a financial loss on top of the actual colossal headache of organizing and executing an event of this magnitude. I really hope everybody expecting to be paid clearly sees that he did everything in his power.

Scar

#HarveyDent
You say not going to be any prize money at this time... but like... will there ever be any prize money? If the prize money as of now is going to the venue (as it seems) that means there is just straight up no prize money... so like, where could it ever conceivably come from?
... he also said he won't really be logging in anymore... it looks like "at this time" was to soften the blow

I really hope everybody expecting to be paid clearly sees that he did everything in his power.
Expecting turnout to pay prize money as a TO really isn't an acceptable way to run a tourney in the first place. Entry fees turn into prize money, venue fee goes to everything else. That's the way it's always been.

I love Plank, but he ****ed up here and it seems like he knows it, and to deny people who are owed money the right to ***** about it isn't cool darksayiddd!

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
I see what you're saying, but he opted to use turn out to help pay prizes as a result of him picking a nicer hotel which was closer to the airport (both things that were supposed to be conveniences for us and to further stimulate attendance and thus the size of the event).

He did mess up, I admit, but his error had really good intentions and it seems as though the only reason everything didn't work out was the community overstacking rooms (I was guilty of this as well) and/or just flat out flaking on their room reservations. His only real error was expecting a decent fraction of the people who said they were coming to come.

GOTM

Smash Champion
Why would you ever count on something that isn't set in stone as your main source of financial stability for running a global tournament?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Agreed with Scar

and relying on x amount of people to buy hotel rooms no matter how good of a deal it was is just a bad idea. And evidentally it was a lot more than 30 rooms (since there were over 30 cancellations) which is a lot already to begin with.

I feel really sorry for everyone who was expecting money. Kind of lame that AM bracket winners were able to be paid out at the venue, they got more than the pros did lol

Scar

#HarveyDent
He did mess up, I admit, but his error had really good intentions and it seems as though the only reason everything didn't work out was the community overstacking rooms (I was guilty of this as well) and/or just flat out flaking on their room reservations. His only real error was expecting a decent fraction of the people who said they were coming to come.
Ya that's a big part of why payouts didn't work out, but the plan itself was bad because it relied on basically getting lucky to ever have enough money to pay both the hotel and the players.

Abraham Plankoln

Smash Rookie
Four score and about a month ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in happy feet, and dedicated to the proposition that all players are not created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield ;) of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their stocks that that some would be rewarded with prize money. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our pot monsters to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these players shall not have played in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of playment -- and that government of the smashers, by the smashers, for the smashers, shall not perish from the earth.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
While I completely understand how Plank should get chewed out from a business pespective, having run nationals for another game makes me sympathize with him.

It's a LOT of hard work to get nothing back and then to take a financial risk of his own money and the winners (this wasn't fair, I admit) just to ensure the overall success of the event. Business wise, yes it flopped. Event and community wise, it was an amazing time and everyone I talked to had more or less an incredible time.

I'm sure he already feels terrible, being that to him this does inevitably make it a failure, so I don't see where people freaking out here is going to do anything productive.

Scar

#HarveyDent
I'm sure he already feels terrible, being that to him this does inevitably make it a failure, so I don't see where people freaking out here is going to do anything productive.
It ensures that this will never happen again.

Young TOs have VERY few examples to really to look towards for a well-run event. If we let this blow over then it looks like you can just run a really fun event, pay off all your debts, and then if there's not enough money left over, **** it, don't pay the winners.

This kind of thing can't happen again, it's really really bad and it's equivalent to stealing.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
Four score and about a month ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in happy feet, and dedicated to the proposition that all players are not created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield ;) of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their stocks that that some would be rewarded with prize money. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our pot monsters to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these players shall not have played in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of playment -- and that government of the smashers, by the smashers, for the smashers, shall not perish from the earth.

my lord...

the only thing i have to say is cheese made more money by winning the brawl amateur bracket than everyone else that attended pound. AND HE GOT A FREE HOTEL ROOM.

vVv!!

KageMurphy

Smash Master
It's always the people who didn't make a dime who think no one should be mad, I love Plank but people have a right to be livid. Especially when you fly from another state or country for this lol.

DM POST WAS GODLY

thumbswayup

Smash Master
"I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save.

I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,

A. Lincoln"

Would have been a more appropriate quote to parody.

omg Laijin made more money than Dr. peepee. Clyde you really are a luckbox

Beat!

Smash Master
Don't try to stop people from complaining

Seriously

He ****ed up. The players have all the rights in the world to complain

That being said, keeping it on a respectful level would probs be a good idea

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Plank ran a great event, he went out of his way to make a fun tournament for everyone. However, many of the top placing players traveled from all over the world to come here, not just for fun, but to win money. All the west coast players and then there's Armada and Amsah from out of the damn continent. You can't expect people not to be upset and complain. If I were them I would want to see proof of the financial crisis Plank says this became (bank statments and bills or whatever) just to make sure there isn't any funny business. I'm not accusing him or anything, but you can never be too sure about these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom