• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pound V.5 Results

HugS™

Smash Lord
Not the most stacked tournament, but I'm pretty impressed with Vist and Abate's results. Good stuff.

Also, nice to see Mango's marth put people on notice.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Project M results:

1: CT/EMP | Mew2king (Fox/Falco/Sheik) - $160
2: Zhime (Zelda) - $80
3: Mango (Falco/Falcon/Jiggs) - $40
4: Chillin (Wolf/Fox) - $20
5: JCaesar (ROB) - $10
5: Vist (Luigi) - $10
7: Oksas (Falcon)
7: [Pepsi] Laijin (Sheik)
9: Sweet (Ivysaur)
9: Plank (Metaknight)
9: Omni (Lucario/Marth)
9: Vanguard (Lucario)
13: 9K (DDD)
13: Archangel (Pit)
13: SOJ (Ganon)
13: G-Reg (DDD)
17: Aho
17: Ruin (Ivysaur)
17: BMBZQDSoljer
17: Fonz (Ivysaur)
17: Count Kaiser (Ness/Metaknight)
17: marthmcglynn
17: Crescent Monkey (Falcon)
17: Jesse (Link)
25: Searing Arrow
25: Inside Story
25: Dolphin64
25: Green Ranger
25: Exdia (Lucas/Zelda)
25: hot$
25: Marth Dodge
25: dyebre
Help me out with character usage if you can please.

1: m2k/chillin (mew2king + chillindude)
1: J-Regulate (G-Reg + JCaesar)
1: Mango + Cactuar
4: Team Triforce (Zhime + Laijin)
5: Team Teamwork (Jesse + SOJ)
5: Oksas + Sweet
7: Beauty and the Beast (Antasma + Inside Story)
7: Din's fire (exdia + jsp)

(I finished the bracket just so I could copy the results, but the top 3 never got a chance to play it out. Mango + Cactuar were in losers bracket though)

I'll get the videos I recorded on the corner setup up hopefully today.

There are way too many people to shoutout to so I wouldn't even know where to begin. Mostly I want to thank Plank for letting us have Project M here in this capacity and Vanguard for helping me run it, and SOJ for that nice aesthetic touch to the CSS/SSS. See everyone at Apex I hope!

Vanguard

Smash Cadet
Did anyone find a GC Controller: Silver w/ Orange duct tape tabs on the back?
I know it's a shot in the dark. I let a friend borrow it and he crack-headedly left it at a melee setup. Apparently someone was going around during cleanup looking for the controllers owner. Anyway, It'd be hella sweet if I could track it down. Thank you.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
That's about where interest petered out, so I cut it off at 32. We probably could have gotten 34 or 35, but it wasn't worth screwing up the nice even bracket.

JippyTheLion

Smash Rookie
Vanguard, I found your controller at my setup during cleanup. I gave it to the person at the table registration was at (it was whoever was registering people for melee). Not sure what happened to it after that.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
vanguard i have ur controller bro. i used it last night to play some friendlies cuz i didnt know if anyone was gonna claim it. hella good controller. lemme know how u wanna work that out

93 entrants breaks my heart. Oh wells.

no way man. this was PERFECT. the exact right # of people for the venue, # of setups, and the space. i am very very happy and this is the exact large regional type of tourney i wanted :)

i also specifically want to thank mew2king for not being negative at this about p5, and for being on time for everything even though you were placing so well in every event. i know you were running back and forth all day to play all the events and did your best to always keep the tournament in mind and be on time. i know i havent hosted in 3 years, so this makes sense, but I really got the impression that you've matured a lot. I'll work to keep getting back more $ to you moving forward, hopefully the next event will be even bigger and i can make better steps to large $ amounts.

Vanguard

Smash Cadet
So relieved. Thanks Jippy and Plank. Plank, I'll hit you up on Facebook and we can work something out. Thanks for holding on to it, and go ahead and use if in the meantime if you want.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
glad plank's back in the community for good. brawl was no good for u.

but man, EC is really mediocre. outside of m2k, the only player i enjoyed watching was cactuar. the talent level of the players who went to this tourny was unimpressive at best

and a big fat boo to mango. mango is allegedly this "give the people what they want" guy. guess what the people want? you v m2k in some epic bo5s.

you lame it up with a thinly veiled character john against m2k.

you know i love you joseph and always will, but man the community lets you get away with way too much ****.

on one hand i have a lot of respect for you never being about the money. on the other hand, you no longer have the competitive spirit that made you so special. imo you were scared to lose to m2k and get exposed. going falcon is an implicit john. as a result m2k's win is 100% legit over you.

it irks me that people conveniently forget all the sets you drop when it comes to ranking the top players. imo it's 1. armada, 2. m2k, 3. pp, 4. hbox, 5. mango precisely because of **** like this.

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
As one of the people who watched the stream whenever I could, this tournament was fun to watch although I would have liked if Mango gave M2K more of a run for his money, although I don't think he has practiced at all since moving.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Somehow, the bracket got completely erased. I'm not sure how, but either way I don't have time to recreate it to put up the Bracket results. It was working fine yesterday when I uploaded the results initially. But either way I won't be posting the brackets from Melee. You can watch most of the major matches on youtube on VG's channel www.youtube.com/videogamebootcamp

Machiavelli

Smash Apprentice

but man, EC is really mediocre. outside of m2k, the only player i enjoyed watching was cactuar. the talent level of the players who went to this tourny was unimpressive at best

and a big fat boo to mango. mango is allegedly this "give the people what they want" guy. guess what the people want? you v m2k in some epic bo5s.

you know i love you joseph and always will, but man the community lets you get away with way too much ****.

on one hand i have a lot of respect for you never being about the money. on the other hand, you no longer have the competitive spirit that made you so special. imo you were scared to lose to m2k and get exposed. going falcon is an implicit john. as a result m2k's win is 100% legit over you.

it irks me that people conveniently forget all the sets you drop when it comes to ranking the top players. imo it's 1. armada, 2. m2k, 3. pp, 4. hbox, 5. mango precisely because of **** like this.
dummy

Sweet™

Smash Famous @PennStateSweet #SweetNation
Premium

Who are you again?

D

Deleted member

you are correct of course, but you're also missing the point. this tournament was about people that have been playing this game for 8-10 years to go see some familiar faces from the past. there were a lot of players at this tournament that used to be really good and suck now, but it's alright. you don't go to pound to see the best of the best, that's what apex is for. you go to pound to put your fist up to someone else's. and frankly, if you didn't do that, i'd say you missed the point.

See the rest of you guys at APEX 2014.

Jethrotex

Smash Journeyman
"you go to pound to put your fist up to someone else's. and frankly, if you didn't do that, i'd say you missed the point."

That's really poetic.

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration

^ this
for the longest time I thought your posts were opinionated bull**** but I now believe you are the last person on smashboards keeping it 100.

Clebus

Smash Journeyman
mango is allowed to use whatever character he wants dude. he just wants to win with those characters. he went 100% mario in all of our teams matches too.

also plank thx, and yea im hoping ill eventually get it all back
I thought you asked him to change from Mario XD

oksas

oak-sauce
I owe a huge thanks to G-reg for making the trek to get me from Dulles, Plank for not only hosting the tourney but being kind enough to house me, and Wenbo for also making the trek to Dulles and housing me. had a lot of fun

slomo431

Smash Ace

I used to think this way about Mango as well, but after seeing people's reactions to Armada's placement at Evo, with people saying it wasn't valid because he retired a few months before, it made me rethink things a bit. I realized that every single player that has reached the pinnacle of Smash has lost that fire at some point in time. Ken slowly started having worse and worse results until he faded out of the scene completely. Before his recent announcement, Armada retired at the top of his game and only seemed to be sticking around for the community and huge events. At one point it seemed like M2K was just playing for the money (which was one reason why so many M2K fans were happy to see him not only winning but having fun at TBH3). And so on and so forth. Mango's response to losing that motivation, both now and during his first reign, seems to be screwing around with different characters and not taking things seriously. I no longer see why Mango's response to losing the competitive edge is any less valid than the others. At this point Mango's won nationals with 3 different mains. That's just ridiculous to me. I think he's proven himself, and with everything else he's got going on in real life right now I don't think we can really fault him.

Varist

Smash Lord
Mango hasn't lost the fire, he just wanted to win the tournament using his worse characters. He's so good he has to put these limits on himself so others can compete. It's like the weighted clothing they wear in DBZ.

Like Umbreon said, Pound V5 wasn't a super serious tryhard event. It was a tournament, sure, you wanted to win, but it wasn't just a "come here and get this money then leave" kind of deal.

I'm really glad Mango didn't go Falco or Fox and just demolish everyone he touched. I enjoyed seeing his Falcon tear through the bracket and I was glad I got to see how it stacked up against M2K. Letting us see his Marth vs M2K was just icing on the cake. He gave me solid entertainment. That's why he's the people's champion and not the tyrant.

People who legitimately think M2K is winning Apex because of these past few tournaments are delusional. The smart man's going to put all his money on Mango.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
The same people who think Mango has "fell off" by getting 2nd to M2K are the same people who think M2K "returned" when he never left. It's forever just been a battle of the Big 4: Mango, PP, M2K, and HBox.

slomo431

Smash Ace
My reasoning for thinking it has more to do with the baby, moving to Ohio, not playing for months, saying in stream chats he's "basically retired" and is just going to have fun with the game and the community for a while and not take things seriously. And as I've said there's really nothing wrong with that. Pound really didn't change anything in my eyes.

I don't really know anybody who thinks M2K "left" only that he had some issues against certain players that took him a while to get past. I don't know how you can dispute those existed.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
I'll admit it, I misspelled Cactuar on purpose to keep tradition when I registered him.

Top Bottom