• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pound 5 Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
Alright. You go play in a big tournament with falcon. And then mario. And then marth. We'll see how well you do. The fact is he won everything with his best characters and still does very well with secondaries. And his secondaries clearly aren't that great, he doesn't have the fluidity and instinct with those characters like he does with puff/falco. So quit being all butthurt that you aren't going to be considered better than him because he doesn't care anymore. Yeah it sucks that he doesn't try anymore but he's beaten you everytime you have played his best characters (other than you beating his fox recently.) So yeah bottom line go play a character without 5 jumps and a ******** back air and see how you do.
Awesome, more Puff johns. Join the club.

And my secondaries suck lol

My point in writing my previous post is that even if he went Puff, Falco, and Fox against me in Pound 5 and I won, everyone would still say he was sandbagging. It's just how fanboyism works. I could care a **** less where he's ranked. There was like...a lot of sarcasm in that last post.

Beat!

Smash Master
Hbox, just to set things straight:

Do you believe you could beat Mango in a set if he went Falco/Puff?

Just want to be sure, because all the sarcasm mindgames me :p

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
well, he's still losing to pp.

he just said he's not losing to m2k AND pp. so his other loss will probably be armada or a random fox like raynex lol.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
This post defeats itself.

Not everybody is a hopelessly delusional optomist. Besides, if people only entered tournaments they believe they can win, Melee would be dead by now. Even if you don't expect to win, participating in a tournament is a valuable learning experience.
Go hard or go home. If in ur subconcious u believe sum1 else will win u won't. I'm just sayin confidence is key

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Icy you going to the U of C tournament? I want to play you. (and everyone else that's outside of Calgary)
Nope, following Pound 5 stuff. I might visit later in the week though.

I wonder if they'll have good synergy, because it's what makes Armada + Aniolas a fantastic team.
This, but worst case scenario, M2K's rapeness should make up for it.

I'm not losing to m2k and PP again lol

promise
:D

My point in writing my previous post is that even if he went Puff, Falco, and Fox against me in Pound 5 and I won, everyone would still say he was sandbagging. It's just how fanboyism works. I could care a **** less where he's ranked. There was like...a lot of sarcasm in that last post.
You beat his Fox, and I don't think Mango could beat you with Falco (maybe), so he'd have to go Puff.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Alright. You go play in a big tournament with falcon. And then mario. And then marth. We'll see how well you do. The fact is he won everything with his best characters and still does very well with secondaries. And his secondaries clearly aren't that great, he doesn't have the fluidity and instinct with those characters like he does with puff/falco. So quit being all butthurt that you aren't going to be considered better than him because he doesn't care anymore. Yeah it sucks that he doesn't try anymore but he's beaten you everytime you have played his best characters (other than you beating his fox recently.) So yeah bottom line go play a character without 5 jumps and a ******** back air and see how you do.
this

10tits

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
**** the hbox haters. We don't even know if mangos puff is better than his currently. Its easy to quit while you're ahead. Didn't mango "retire" his puff from singles not long after hbox took him to 5 intense matches of puff dittos in WF of... Some big tourney lol can't remember. If he doesn't enjoy playing puff anymore then fine, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was scared of hbox surpassing him and peaced out.

`Jammin' Jobus

Smash Journeyman
**** the hbox haters. We don't even know if mangos puff is better than his currently. Its easy to quit while you're ahead. Didn't mango "retire" his puff from singles not long after hbox took him to 5 intense matches of puff dittos in WF of... Some big tourney lol can't remember. If he doesn't enjoy playing puff anymore then fine, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was scared of hbox surpassing him and peaced out.
watch the grand finals from that same tournament.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I did. It really looked like Hbox gave up mentally after being so close. He's had that problem in the past. I don't approve and he deserved to lose. I'm just saying, if nothing else, it was a very convenient time for mango to quit. Had hbox won that set of wf, he may very well have won the whole tourney with that kind of confidence. Not to mention I'm sure it would have shaken mango up to take a loss in puff dittos. Mango essentially hates hbox lol, and would never want him to surpass him. Pure coincidence though, I'm sure.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
alsob y the same logic axe and silent spectre are also the best in the world, because they also place very high with ****y characters.

just throwin that out there

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
alsob y the same logic axe and silent spectre are also the best in the world, because they also place very high with ****y characters.

wrong, since neither axe nor ss were ever the best player in the world for 3 years
EDIT: they also didn't retired their best character, and then play other characters they weren't as familiar with and still place high, neither of them will ever beat Kage with Link, I'm sure

D20

Smash Lord
Link counters Ganon
This. It's like none of you have played through "Ocarina of Time".

Anyhow, I have a few comments regarding the "Mango Sandbagging Theory". First, Mango did not invent the concept... he only made it famous (or infamous rather). There have always been players in our community that "sandbag" in tournaments... or at least claim to. In my opinion, to single him out is a bit unfair. In addition, there has always been the issue of "pot-splitting". These problems (if I can call them that) have always plagued the tournament atmosphere and the spirit of competition that so many of us love and travel for. I am not going to claim that "sandbagging" and "pot-splitting" are immoral or otherwise. However, I do think that some people (especially the top players) need to be made aware of or reminded of some things...

I realize that there are no professional Melee players, but that does not mean that the best players should not be held to a similar standard. Any time a person is at the top of their field, their peers and their fans will look up to them (whether the person wants them to or not). I am always impressed by a number of the top players in our community who HAVE graciously accepted this role, whether that is by playing friendlies with people far below their skill level, by giving significant or helpful advice, or simply by giving it a 110% in their matches (and by providing "no johns" if they lose). Unfortunately, there are some other high level players who do not. It is not that they do not have the right to behave or act in the way they see fit, but it is disappointing.

I just want all of the top players to know their role. We, as your peers and fans, do not ask for much. We want to watch a good and honest competition in which credit and respect are given to all parties involved. I do not want to hear about anyone "sandbagging" or "splitting" at this tournament. I want everyone to man the **** up and play the game the way that it is supposed to be played.

Again, these are just my OPINIONS, but I certainly think there is some merit and truth to them.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
You're definitely trolling on who would beat who on some of those matches.

I'm not losing to m2k and PP again lol

promise
Should be interesting to see lol.

Awesome, more Puff johns. Join the club.

And my secondaries suck lol

To me it's more of just when you beat Mango's Fox, and then proceed to lose to Lucky's right afterwards when Lucky even openly ADMITS Mango is the better Fox...that's what makes me wonder if something is up personally.

Anyways, I think a lot of it will really come down to your ability to beat PP. GL.

I hope you practiced a lot this time.
You better win.

strawhats

Smash Master
Because nothing has changed since last year.
Damn...mango's pissing people off everywhere.

Stop sandbagging mango, so people can get off your back.(then again he won't care)

@t3hicy: I just realized that your a big hbox supporter, good for you man. (He gets so much flames in this community its ridiculous)

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
just cause he calls you out for playing a gay character doesnt make his other points invalid hbox.

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/502239PredictionsPound5.jpg

Which will make :

1 Armada
2 Peepee
3 Mango
4 Amsah
5 M2K
5 Kirbykaze
7 HBox
7 Tope
9 Vanz
9 Zhu
9 Axe
9 Shroomed
13 Silent Wolf
13 S2J
13 Linguini
13 Scar
17 Colbol
17 Lovage
17 Hax
17 RockCrock
17 OverTriforce
17 Remen
17 Swiftbass
17 Unknown522
25 V3ctor Man
25 Lord HDL
25 Strawhat Dahean
25 Eggm
25 Chilin
25 Cactaur
25 Crimson Blur
25 Raistlin
33 Raynex
33 Cyrain
33 GRegulate
33 Virusbluemage
33 Kels
33 Emma Watson's BF
33 Reneblade
33 Plank
33 DJ Nintendo
33 MacD
33 The lake
33 G$
33 d'Oh
33 Chu
33 Azen
33 LOZR

By the way, could somebody please tell me what the software to make this kind of brackets is? I had to copy paste the Pound 4 one, and make all the changes under Paint afterwards.

i like the way this guy thinks.

Super

Smash Apprentice
At which point can we say that Mango is still the best and he's just sanbagging? If he doesn't win a major from here and past Genesis 2? A year?? At some point we have to say his tryhard just isn't as good as other people who stake a claim as the best. Everyone is afraid of losing their throne...Mango is no different...with losing to Kage, and Armada coming close. Let now forget he hates Hbox, who has improved. I think he's done with "tryhard" because there a slight chance of losing, and thus his claim as the best. If he doesn't win anything major this year, I'm going to have to say Mango have no claim to being the best.

Biglard

Smash Journeyman
You're definitely trolling on who would beat who on some of those matches.
No, I tried not to troll. Well, except for Emma Watson's boyfriend, who I don't know at all, but I just found his tag great.

Some results might seem unlikely to you, but it's only due to my ignorance of the level of some players (I don't pretend to know exactly the level of top players such as players in my top 6, but their results and videos give me an idea about it).

What do you find arguable in my list?

Beat!

Smash Master
Mango's said that Mr. Tryhard will come out at G2.

Until then, I will keep considering him the best.

I think at least some people agrees with this.

Super

Smash Apprentice

If that's true, and he doesn't win G2, then we know he no longer has claim as being the best. If he wins, then he still has claim as being the best. Either way, one side of this argument will shutup for awhile. Guess we'll see.

`Jammin' Jobus

Smash Journeyman

i just dont think theres really a better alternative if you really have to pick a "best player".
people also seem to disregard the continued team dominance.

even at winterfest mango did mad good. took peepee to game five with falcon in winners finals with every game on FD iirc. how many other falcons could do that? then after he dropped two games in set 1 of GF almost pulled off a sick *** three game comeback with falco with the last game being MAD close. during that last stock when mango read drpp's tech like four times in a row with dair i definitely thought he was gonna bring it back.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
everyone stfu about what characters mango uses. if he loses with cfal then he ****ing lost. if he does well with cfal then he did well.

saying 'he used to be the best and now he plays CF so he's still the best" is the most ******** thing ever.

either he's still the best and is sandbagging or he's just not the best anymore and what characters he plays has nothing to do with it

The Star King

Smash Hero
Go hard or go home. If in ur subconcious u believe sum1 else will win u won't. I'm just sayin confidence is key
Was this actually an attempt at responding at my post, or are you trolling me? You didn't respond to my points at all. Like I said, even if you don't expect to win, entering a tournament can be a valuable learning experience. Playing in a tournament setting is different than playing friendlies. And like I said, Melee would be dead by now if only people who expect to win show up, because the percentage of people who genuinely believe they will win the entire tournament is small.

You sound like somebody who reads too much shonen.

people sleeping on colbol

smh
Too inconsistent to be a safe bet, but it wouldn't be the most shocking thing in the world if he placed high.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua

wrong, since neither axe nor ss were ever the best player in the world for 3 years
EDIT: they also didn't retired their best character, and then play other characters they weren't as familiar with and still place high, neither of them will ever beat Kage with Link, I'm sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom