• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible Future National.......in Ohio?

.Ðempt

Certified Ponch
honestly, making it in Aurora seems iffy. I'd say it should be closer to either cleveland or columbus. Easier to get to(fly) less travel time(usually) closer things of interest(for they are cities).
Good point. While I was bouncing ideas off of Juggleguy last night, I ended up finding a location that's perfect driving distance for a number of different airports.

Uh, do you have experience being a TO at all? I'm sure you've read the stickies on this forum haven't you? You know the tip where it encourages to start small and then get big? Yeah...
I've been helping TO for over two years. Multiple events in Ohio, and a few out of state as well.

As a TO myself I've long pondered the idea but

http://www.bts.gov/programs/economics_and_finance/air_travel_price_index/html/table_08.html

there's where your logistics go to ****.

Not trying to be a downer but you are going to have to deal with the fact that Cleveland Hopkins is the 11th most expensive airport in the USA to fly into/out of
There are multiple different airports besides CLE, one of them being CAK which run pretty low rates. Regarding what Housewife stated, there are still other airports to choose from rather than CLE or CAK if you aren't able to find a direct flight to CAK.

Anyways, if you wanna make this big, you gotta plan it at least 6 months in advance, and you gotta make a thread with a huge post with ALL THE DETAILS PLANNED OUT day one. If people see pictures of a sick venue that is already reserved, and people see that you already have the plane ticket logistics already planned out, and you already have big names confirmed, then you have your credibility.

Also, sponsors are good, if you can get VGBootCamp in on it, that would be a big help.

Hmmm, this is making me wonder how much it costs to rent out the Canton Civic Center...

only 15 mins from an airport, so we could pick people up.

While all of this is important, sponsors would be extremely helpful to us. I'd like to talk to a few TO's to see how their tournaments were sponsored.

Regarding the venue, I don't want to give away too much information since this is still in the process of being thought up. But it will definitely put a new spin on the national scene.

clowsui

Smash Legend
so then your issue becomes transportation. how many drivers are there in the NEOH area that are willing to cart people back and forth?

.Ðempt

Certified Ponch
so then your issue becomes transportation. how many drivers are there in the NEOH area that are willing to cart people back and forth?
As long as they are paid for their gas, everyone who has a car would most likely help out, myself included.

clowsui

Smash Legend
that doesn't exactly answer my question

let's do logistics

so we'll be optimistic and say that you have a smashing turnout

200 people

out of those 200 people let's say 50 are flying in

and let's now assume you have a "worst case scenario" where all 50 people are flying into the pittsburgh or columbus airport or something rather than akron, cleveland or canton

let's say these people fly in groups of 5 at a time and when they leave they leave in groups of 5 at a time

50 people/5 people per group = 10 groups
10 groups * 2 trips (1 trip to pick up, 1 trip to send back) = 20 trips
CMH/Pitt are 2 hours away and there's often some "downtime" with pickups/sendoffs and what not (i.e. locating one another), so add another 0.5 hours to that. 20*2.5 = 50 hours

Let's say you have 5 drivers. Among 5 drivers each of them, w/in the weekend, will have to spend 10 hours total driving alone.

Do you think that you can locate drivers who are willing to shoulder 10 hours each? gas money as compensation isn't the only factor when it comes to the weighing the marginal cost of driving imo

Life

Smash Hero
I'm mostly curious how far it would be for me to drive. This might be just what I need to get out of my little Greater Pittsburgh shell, if things line up right.

Definitely would help me if it were in the summer.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Honestly, OoR travelers should have to just man up and take a cab from the airport to the venue. Trust me Matt, you don't want to deal with arranging transportation for dozens of people. It was extremely stressful arranging transportation even for just the 14-15 people who flew in for Big House 2. Make a transportation thread where people can discuss flight options that put them in the best position to arrive at the same time as others and split a cab to the venue.

Goast

Smash Journeyman
Well Matt, I'm obviously not great at TOing atm but I'm willing to be your slave... er poor choice of words but yeah just let me know what you want me to do to help out.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
Clowsui, you're way to pessimistic. Just lay down the law and say that if you're flying in, you're flying into the closest airport if you want a ride from the TO's. otherwise you have to set up your own ride. Simple as that.

Pick a venue 15 minutes from an airport. Get access to a couple of Vans. All of a sudden, you can have 2 people get 48 people in 2 hours. I commute an hour ever day to college, 2 hours would be nothing for me.

All you have to do to pull this off is to point out what times people will be available to drive, and have people schedule flights around that.

Also Housewife, indirect flights are the cheaper ones, you have it wrong.

.Ðempt

Certified Ponch
that doesn't exactly answer my question

let's do logistics

so we'll be optimistic and say that you have a smashing turnout

200 people

out of those 200 people let's say 50 are flying in

and let's now assume you have a "worst case scenario" where all 50 people are flying into the pittsburgh or columbus airport or something rather than akron, cleveland or canton

let's say these people fly in groups of 5 at a time and when they leave they leave in groups of 5 at a time

50 people/5 people per group = 10 groups
10 groups * 2 trips (1 trip to pick up, 1 trip to send back) = 20 trips
CMH/Pitt are 2 hours away and there's often some "downtime" with pickups/sendoffs and what not (i.e. locating one another), so add another 0.5 hours to that. 20*2.5 = 50 hours

Let's say you have 5 drivers. Among 5 drivers each of them, w/in the weekend, will have to spend 10 hours total driving alone.

Do you think that you can locate drivers who are willing to shoulder 10 hours each? gas money as compensation isn't the only factor when it comes to the weighing the marginal cost of driving imo
I'm well aware, especially as a driver myself. However, we have plenty of dedicated players willing to drive to airports near their area to help out players flying in. Granted, not everyone will be able to help, but I'm sure if this is planned out in advance (which it will be), I wouldn't be too concerned with rides.
Honestly, OoR travelers should have to just man up and take a cab from the airport to the venue. Trust me Matt, you don't want to deal with arranging transportation for dozens of people. It was extremely stressful arranging transportation even for just the 14-15 people who flew in for Big House 2. Make a transportation thread where people can discuss flight options that put them in the best position to arrive at the same time as others and split a cab to the venue.
This is actually a much more preferred method, exactly for that reason. Rob, remember when you and I got lost and we were trying to get to the restaurant from Richard's? Remember what you said to me?

"I would hate to be on the other end of this call."

Still, not enough people interested to provoke future action yet though. I get the feeling not enough people have seen this yet.

kd-

Smash Lord
This is actually a much more preferred method, exactly for that reason. Rob, remember when you and I got lost and we were trying to get to the restaurant from Richard's? Remember what you said to me?

"I would hate to be on the other end of this call."
LMFAO yeah that sucked trying to get you guys to that Coney. Fun times. I think it's just as bad for the party lost as it is for the party helping the party lost.

The transportation thread really helps, and you can still ask drivers experienced in the Ohio area to help you out to help avoid that "hey we're lost" situation

.Ðempt

Certified Ponch
LMFAO yeah that sucked trying to get you guys to that Coney. Fun times. I think it's just as bad for the party lost as it is for the party helping the party lost.

The transportation thread really helps, and you can still ask drivers experienced in the Ohio area to help you out to help avoid that "hey we're lost" situation
Assuming the person who flew in got their own taxi, that shouldn't happen, haha. That being said, it still is the player's responsibility to know directions.

Sweet™

Smash Famous @PennStateSweet #SweetNation
Premium
Yo, bring Kai Shaw with you!

Also, there is a Greyhound Station and International Airport in Erie, PA (the most northwestern point in PA) that I could taxi and house a few people from. I go to school in Erie, and live in NEOH. It's only a 30 minute drive. I don't mind; I make the drive allllll the time.

I can fit four in my car. Might even be able to use a van instead, though. We'll see, though.

Long story short, if some people decide to fly/ride to Erie, PA, I can get you, and more than likely house you.

Captain Smuckers

Smash Journeyman
Oh god why must you be aware of the fact that I know him lol. I assure you that if I brought him he would prolly just body everyone. I'd feel bad for unleashing that on to everyone.

:phone:

Eternalis

Smash Rookie
I would definitely make an effort to come to this if it was in the summer.

SoulPech

Smash Master
I agree with this 100%. It would be fun to have this in Columbus, which is the "Heart" of the "Heart of America" All that's needed is a nice venue for this.

.Ðempt

Certified Ponch
That'd be pretty cool.

There are a lot of good MW TO's to look to and talk to as well.
I've already talked to multiple TO's about this, and hopefully, will be able to bring them on as staff.
I agree with this 100%. It would be fun to have this in Columbus, which is the "Heart" of the "Heart of America" All that's needed is a nice venue for this.
It wouldn't be in Columbus, but trust me, the venue I'm aiming for is most definitely kick ***.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
I'd go if Project M had solid representation. Hell, i'd help RUN the Project M tournament if it was necessary.

Actually, I'd probably go regardless. A national in my own state? I'd be a fool not to.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
So guys, do you want me to check out pricing for those venues in canton or not?

They don't give any prices unless you contact them, and I'm far to lazy to do that if we're not even going to use the venues.

Top Bottom