• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible Future National.......in Ohio?

.Ðempt

Certified Ponch
Hey there Smashboards. My name is Matt Bidwell, some of you may know me as Dempt. If you don't know who I am, I'm a Melee player from Aurora, OH that has been playing for almost 3 years and have had the pleasure of meeting a lot of awesome people along the way from all over the country, and have participated in not just a few tournaments around the area, but have been to a few nationals as well.

I wanted to bring up a topic that I've been thinking about for a long time. Something I really have been wanting to do but never knew how to approach going about all of it.....until now.

There's been a number of amazing tournaments lately. Genesis, FC, Zenith, Impulse, RoM, Apex (and their qualifiers) and plenty more. Whenever I walk into a venue, let alone even hear about a tournament of that degree, a rush of adrenaline runs through my blood, and I immediately try to plan on my attendance.

I want to give that same feeling back to every single one of you in the community, and much, much more. So with that, I propose the question:

Who would be interested in the idea of a national hosted in Ohio?

This is not something I would want to put little effort in. I would want this to be big, if not, bigger than anything Ohio has ever seen or held before. I would want to work with multiple TO's, venues, and other dedicated players to give everyone the best experience possible.

I would make sure that this was held more than likely in the spring or preferably the summer, where people are more likely to travel.

Since I would be working with our well known TO's, I'd like to use/create a standardized ruleset that the community can/may use as a whole, especially with the most recent events that have taken place at the last few tournies.

Before any action takes place though, I need to know the interest level of the community. Since Ohio isn't known for too many famous events, this would be a big move for our scene as well. The location of the venue would be around the Aurora, OH area, a town almost directly center of Akron and Cleveland. Around this area are multiple different key venues that could be used to accommodate a gathering much like that of Apex, Genesis, FC, or greater.

But this all starts with you.

So please, I absolutely encourage everyone who takes the time to read this to voice their opinion. Anything and everything suggested will be taken under consideration. But only if you take the time to let us know what you want out of all this.

Hopefully we get some responses, as I'm really excited to hear what everyone thinks. Thanks in advance, everyone.

~ .Ðempt

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
I would be there.

Also, I second heart of america. Make cover picture where ohio looks like a heart. Start making the "greater than epsilon" sign catch on like "less than three"

Σ>

I will probably read this sometime other than 2am and wonder what I was thinking.

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
I honestly would not care if where it is, but if it becomes as big as Genesis or Apex, by ALL MEANS , do it.

Qlaw

Smash Cadet
honestly, making it in Aurora seems iffy. I'd say it should be closer to either cleveland or columbus. Easier to get to(fly) less travel time(usually) closer things of interest(for they are cities).

C.SDK

Smash Ace
Uh, do you have experience being a TO at all? I'm sure you've read the stickies on this forum haven't you? You know the tip where it encourages to start small and then get big? Yeah...

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
As I said in the FB announce thing, if theres a Brawl side, i know for a FACT NEOH Brawl would be more than happy to help out.
Even if there is no Brawl, I'd volunteer to help out as much as I can. NEOH Brawl AND Melee gotta stick together :D

Morino, that's just not our style around here :p
NEOH/OH/Pittsburgh are just way too ambitious :3

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
You know I'll be there Matt. Just know that organizing a national isn't as easy as putting the word "national" in the title of a tourney thread and then hoping for a big turnout. Put yourself in the position of an OoR player and ask, "what is the differentiating factor between this Ohio event and some other major tourney?" and be able to answer that question convincingly. Is the venue going to be the greatest thing ever? Will there be a lot of top players in attendance? Are some of the best TOs collaborating to provide an amazing tourney experience? Stuff like that. Hit me up on FB if you have any questions.

C.SDK

Smash Ace
As I said in the FB announce thing, if theres a Brawl side, i know for a FACT NEOH Brawl would be more than happy to help out.
Even if there is no Brawl, I'd volunteer to help out as much as I can. NEOH Brawl AND Melee gotta stick together :D

Morino, that's just not our style around here :p
NEOH/OH/Pittsburgh are just way too ambitious :3
Haha. I want to do something similar as well. But I don't have any TO experience =(

EDIT: Good advice from Juggleguy.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Yo... It probably won't be a national, but people should attend WTCA 2 in may (in cleveland)

Trying to double the size from wtca 1.

TheLake

Smash Master
Dempt

promise a bar

promise a stage for joy and singing

promise a rave

and promise food dempt

the smashers will come

that i promise

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
You know I'll be there Matt. Just know that organizing a national isn't as easy as putting the word "national" in the title of a tourney thread and then hoping for a big turnout.
Knew I've been doing something wrong all these years.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
Notice that the Akron/Canton Airport is near the bottom of that list. XD

Anyways, if you wanna make this big, you gotta plan it at least 6 months in advance, and you gotta make a thread with a huge post with ALL THE DETAILS PLANNED OUT day one. If people see pictures of a sick venue that is already reserved, and people see that you already have the plane ticket logistics already planned out, and you already have big names confirmed, then you have your credibility.

Also, sponsors are good, if you can get VGBootCamp in on it, that would be a big help.

Hmmm, this is making me wonder how much it costs to rent out the Canton Civic Center...

or this:

only 15 mins from an airport, so we could pick people up.

AXE 09

Smash Master
I would definitely be interested.

The main thing that usually gets me though is plane ticket prices. Just be sure to check the prices of the main airport closest to the venue, because if it's an expensive airport, that would really hurt your attendance a lot.

But yes... I would want to go to Ohio for a national :)

:phone:

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Yeah, Akron-Canton AND Pittsburgh are cheaper than Cleveland-Hopkins. So that kind of negates the whole having to fly to Hopkins thing in a lot of cases :3
(Though, if anyone would fly in from Hopkins and would need a ride outside the airport, I live within 5 minutes of Hopkins and could probably drive and get people.)

Housewife

Smash Cadet
Notice that the Akron/Canton Airport is near the bottom of that list. XD
The thing about Akron/Canton is that, to my knowledge, there are very few flights that'll go directly there, so the ticket prices may actually be more expensive since it's not non-stop. I dunno, that's the problem I've been having anyway.

Top Bottom