• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Polygons and whatnot (mostly polygons)

Geist

Smash Master
Naw, it's life reference

I'll divulge some of my heavily guarded secrets for you lol
Step 1: I opened up a new file, size at 2000x2000, keep white bg, made new layer, 25% opacity. Quickly drew lines for reference and structure (like 30-45 seconds).
Step 2: cropped and made new layer, (pressure sensitive brush set to opacity and size, black) drew details, for this I only drew the lines you can still see minus a few that were covered by hair. Like 6-10 minutes max are really needed for this, most detail comes from value
Step 3: deleted first reference layer, made new layer and painted with very general shades of grey (like light, mid and dark)
Step 4: bluuuuur and smuuuuudge tooool
Step 5: made a new layer and set a small brush to a light grey, 50% opacity and pressure sensitive, filled in light shadows on the face, painting multiple stokes to layer darker values
Step 6: smuuuuuuuudge
Step 7: I did eye details, then for backup purposes grabbed all current layers (except bg layer of course) and grouped in a folder, duplicated folder, then flattened duplicated folder into single layer (yay backups). Then make new layer for hair. To do hair really simply, grab a brush with a dark grey set at a low opacity and brush back and forth to build up a variety of grey values, then take a smudge brush at like 80% and go with the flow of the hair, and progressively get smaller and smaller with your brush until your desired detail is reached.
Step 8: final smudging and blurringgggggg
???
Profit

if you look carefully, you'll notice that there really isn't that much detail and it looks really clean because there aren't a whole lot of different values going on. I just used really general brush strokes that were mostly concerned with lighting and contrast accuracy rather than details.
It's all smoke and mirrors man, smudge is like the 'make good button'

EDIT: actually my painting secrets are that I watch pixar and get good, disregard what I typed above
did you watch the pixar teaser I linked
watch it again

Ladybug

Smash Lord
Currently getting my MFA in 3D modeling... They are forcing me to take drawing classes as part of my curriculum. :p

I'll post some of my other stuff later. Thanks for saying its not bad. It was done in about 4.5 hours. :)

Geist

Smash Master
Currently getting my MFA in 3D modeling
Awesome, me too lol. Do you know what you'll be specializing in? Environments, textures, rigging, etc.?

Also do you go to the Academy of Art by any chance?

Also also, if you're wondering why I'm playing 20 questions, it's because we don't get too many new faces around here you see :]
So I'm most likely just going to continue to prod your brain for info because I fear strangers

Ladybug

Smash Lord
I really like environments and lighting and texturing. But I'm not too shabby with general modeling. And yes, that is where I go to school! My undergrad had us do everything (modeling and animation) so I know how to do the whole field (which will come in handy once my thesis project comes up), but I'm specializing in modeling.

It's ok. I don't mind 20 questions. If you wanna see some of my undergrad stuff (I really need to update my portfolio... Totally is not up to par with my current skill lever), my website is mclayton.webs.com.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Does winning AWYP actually grant the orange name? Because that would be cool. Aaaaalso, Geist you guilted me into drawing again, starting up GIMP right now =(

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Not anymore. Someone on the staff thought it would be cool to, instead of having a mass array of colors for names, to litter pages with postbits.

If you wanna see when it becomes too much, look at the user Smash World Forums - He has every postbit that can be attained atm.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Not anymore. Someone on the staff thought it would be cool to, instead of having a mass array of colors for names, to litter pages with postbits.
I love the new skins, but some of the design choices for swf have been atrocious. The postbit **** especially.

We're aib now.

Geist

Smash Master
Does winning AWYP actually grant the orange name? Because that would be cool. Aaaaalso, Geist you guilted me into drawing again, starting up GIMP right now =(
I would soooo dig it if this could happen again. Orange being exclusive for wwrp (or whatever it is now) seems kinda silly. These AWYP contests don't come around often, so it's not like we'll suddenly see a million orange names running around.
Anywayssss I've whined about this before, so I'll stop now.

I'm glad to hear I got you drawing again though lol

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Storyboards
They make me really angry
And I decided to be a good group member by volunteering to storyboard our movie thing for digital storytelling

I'm really dumb.

Ugh

:phone:

Geist

Smash Master
Storyboards
They make me really angry
And I decided to be a good group member by volunteering to storyboard our movie thing for digital storytelling

I'm really dumb.

Ugh

:phone:
I would have thought you would love storyboarding. It's great for getting good at composition, and you get to draw stuff C:
Also they get paid soooooo much money. Like 40-75 dollars a panel. That's like 100 dollars an hour
Also why'd you volunteer for that? D:

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I would have thought you would love storyboarding. It's great for getting good at composition, and you get to draw stuff C:
Also they get paid soooooo much money. Like 40-75 dollars a panel. That's like 100 dollars an hour
Also why'd you volunteer for that? D:
Well, I usually like them more, but I just dont feel like drawing rofl

I want that money holy carps.

Cuz I wanted to be a productive member of the team xP My friend wrote the story, other friend scripted, and I volunteered to storyboard.

Can't wait til we actually shoot our movie thing. Picture montage. My friend and I are doing ccraaaazy edits in PS O WO

Geist

Smash Master
that looks cool neous.
Also lines take a long time to do, and my painting had very little lines. That's why it would take you longer lol

neous

Smash Journeyman
yeah jim, im always pixelly :[ [mspaint]

character in my book:

"who the heck is that?"

its...

just kidding its GEIST the gr*pe ghost. or PURPLE STUFF GHOST.

heres aly

rough:

i should make them tongue like =pd=

ill make t shirts later lol.

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
Hmm I haven't really thought until now about checking the subforum for art. Well I haven't drawn until getting back into drawing because of MLP FiM (for the sake of everyone I will leave most of the images out of this thread). I mainly sketch and sometimes dabble in coloring through digital means without the use of a drawing tablet (which I still have on my wish list).

Stuff last drawn before the gap between drawing endless amounts of ponies.

[COLLAPSE="Last SSBB image drawn (Wolf and Snake)"]
[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Last still image drawn from photo"]
[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Last anime drawn (Hayate the Combat Butler)"]
[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Last image copied from video game concept art (Sword of Mana)"]
[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="These would be the only pony pics you'll have to bear from me as reference to digitial coloring I tried"]
[/COLLAPSE]

===

I hope to spend more time here, lurk if not post. Maybe learn a thing or two by doing so and get back on track to broadening my drawings.

=

Storyboards. Probably is more complicated than I perceive it to be. Dunno if it's viable for comic-layout brainstorming or just keep it for animation purposes only.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
AlyxBren is cute. :3

Welcome to the AE Geoberos! I like that the details of your drawings are really distinct, the lines are nice and clear. You should try being braver with the pressure of your pencil though, very dark areas contrasting with lighter areas can look great :D

You have cool stuff Ladybug! A late hello xD

neous

Smash Journeyman
gloabie, i miss you G.

B sequence.
Contains WORK by Aly, Geist, Wemp
Aly provided lines for ma man in the snazzy 1950s suit buttering toast
Geist provided... whatever
WEMP provided poetry

I need someone to help me complete it by drawing a pc computer :[

Top Bottom