• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Polygons and whatnot (mostly polygons)

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I misshu gurl!!!!!!

Also, I'm applying for another scholarship....this one is sponsored by Sony online. Winner gets some scholarship monies plus a 10 week internship at Sony online.......I'll be posting lots of WIPs in the critique thread.....yeah......

:phone:

❀W.E.M.P.❀

Mote Of Dust
Man I keep forgetting the social thread is back

EVERYONE JUST MOVE TO THE SKYPE CHAT, jeeeesusss

Anyway, Um, so I am on a short list of artists to work on a comic i just found out. I told the guy i would totally go out and buy a tablet to ink/color my pencils if he didnt have a colorist in mind

Wish me luck >.>

edit - Also, holy **** good luck Lokii, fluff yo tail feathahz GURL

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
Welcome to the AE Geoberos! I like that the details of your drawings are really distinct, the lines are nice and clear. You should try being braver with the pressure of your pencil though, very dark areas contrasting with lighter areas can look great :D
:O Thanks. I never did trust myself in causing great mistakes with dark shading.

Man I keep forgetting the social thread is back

EVERYONE JUST MOVE TO THE SKYPE CHAT, jeeeesusss
Oh, so all the activities are there now. I don't regularly use Skype, but I tend to keep it open for any reason. Mind if I lurk the group?

Geist

Smash Master
I just 3d character modeled for 12 hours and my head feels like spaghetti

Oh, so all the activities are there now. I don't regularly use Skype, but I tend to keep it open for any reason. Mind if I lurk the group?
He lies, the skype is probably less busy than it usually is here now. If you want to lurk feel free though
The majority of discussion has nothing to do with art and is more like shoot the **** lol
but sometimes small wips and critiques get sent around, so maybe you'll find it's worth it
add me on skype at uninfinitum if you wanna
Anyway, Um, so I am on a short list of artists to work on a comic i just found out. I told the guy i would totally go out and buy a tablet to ink/color my pencils if he didnt have a colorist in mind

Wish me luck >.>
good luck man
tablets are pricey :V
I misshu gurl!!!!!!

Also, I'm applying for another scholarship....this one is sponsored by Sony online. Winner gets some scholarship monies plus a 10 week internship at Sony online.......I'll be posting lots of WIPs in the critique thread.....yeah......

wow alyssa get 100% free schooling why dont you

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I'm tryinggggg hahaha
Parents still have my sister in private school and have yet to send her to college since she's still a hs junior....gotta do my part

neous

Smash Journeyman
i posted in wrong thread like scrub.

Fake Druid
Me vs Me+Wemp

more like a red oni vs a shirtless link in a google chrome browser

this is what we do on skype.

Joeadok

Smash Journeyman
I have once again returned to the kingdom of AE to see the art at its finest! Howzit guys? Hope you've all been keeping at it.

❀W.E.M.P.❀

Mote Of Dust

Fake Druid
Me vs Me+Wemp

LOOOOOOOOOOOL Neo your wemp remix turned out sick

Jimmyboy and Geo- I added you to my contacts,until you accept I can not add you to the chat :3

Joeadok

Smash Journeyman
I remember you and I liked your 3d model edits.

Yeah, I'm still doing that 3D thing :)

I wish the had real internet instead of this phone nonsense, I could join the skype-up. But tertiary really changes your lifestyle man.

Also, that title change is very much appreciated :D
<3 guys!

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord

Yeah, I'm still doing that 3D thing :)

I wish the had real internet instead of this phone nonsense, I could join the skype-up. But tertiary really changes your lifestyle man.

Also, that title change is very much appreciated :D
<3 guys!

I have no idea what I'm looking at, but all them dots in the hand o_O I'm guessing 3D stuff follows a skeleton or something?

Geist

Smash Master
^^that's the character rig
Joe do you rig your own stuff or do you use an auto-rig script program

also speaking of rigs, I just discovered that the new rigging teacher here at AI was the lead rigger for Rango and he's like super famous for his 'universal scaling rig' which allows you to freely change any proportion to fit pretty much any bipedal character. That probably means very little to anyone but my mind exploded ten-fold when I heard this

also Joe lemme see some polyflow

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
wow geist that's pretty hype haha
i am also mad hype for this joeadok

i just posted up a couple drawings that i did in class. i'll post them up here later tonight

i'll also try to get on skype hehe. i wanna join in on the chat

edit: okay here are the drawings!
images are really large lol

female plaster torso model:

standing male contrapposto:

seated male:
http://http://bloteshame.deviantart.com/art/seated-man-289038344?q=gallery:bloteshame&qo=0

i think the seated figure was my best

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Sorry about that chok, but we can't have any nude drawings in here. :0

Joeadok

Smash Journeyman
Geist, that's pretty cool, is 3D-ing part of a course that you're doing? I normally copy/adapt a rig from on an eariler model, a doogan from Mario, and fit it to the new char.

And with the wires, the nearest internet cafe is closed for the long weekend due to strikes, so I'll have upload those pics on monday.

Edit: Chok, that seated figure is slick! very neat.

Geist

Smash Master
Damn chok that's looking fantastic. How long of a pose was that?

Geist, that's pretty cool, is 3D-ing part of a course that you're doing? I normally copy/adapt a rig from on an eariler model, a doogan from Mario, and fit it to the new char.
lol my entire course IS 3D :b
Character modeling is also my main focus, I just don't think I've ever posted any of my WIPs. I'm actually shooting for a job at Pixar canada as a character modeler, and when I made the decision I was told that their character modelers are riggers as well.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
wow, there's a pixar canada?????

the seated pose was about 45 minutes

i do see some glaring mistakes, but i think that's because i'm improving and becoming a better judge of myself. i'm proud of that one

Joeadok

Smash Journeyman
Well hopefully you reach your goal Geist. I wish there was a Pixar South Africa... Any decent cgi around here is all done for short tv ads.

Chok, I think ya handled it great, looks closer to life than anything I'd draw.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622

Fake Druid
Me vs Me+Wemp

The right one is siiiick. What's that texture? How do you do that?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
mgw, there are 2 main foundations that i focus on for realistic drawing

1. careful measuring
2. analysis of form and value

measure things with your pencil and thumb, compare and measure things constantly so they fall in the right place. that's basically just copying everything, which is really important. however, for the forms and values, sometimes you can't get every single detail so for shortcuts you can reduce everything in your head to simpler forms like cubes, spheres, cones, cylinders etc. if u know how to shade those, u can shade pretty much anything else

one of the most fundamental things for realistic shading is learning how to shade a sphere. highlight, mid tones, core shadow, reflected light, cast shadow

Geist

Smash Master
I know thurz alot wrong with it lol. Does anyone have some guides/tutorials on realistic drawings?
Well what you have is still very stylized. It's not bad in its own rights by any means, but I think it fails at what its intention was. But, you know this so

What chok said is very true. When I do my portraits I spend 80% of the time blocking the face out, and getting my guidelines as accurate as possible. This amount of time will depend on whether or not I'm doing a sketch that's true to reference, or if I'm taking the time to measure out proportions in the face that are specific to a person so that I can manipulate them/position them differently. If you're feeling unconfident about your accuracy at first, there is absolutely no shame in using a projection or a phyical copy of your reference, or even tracing. As long as you pay attention and learn something while you're doing it, there is no cheating at art.

I always say this to everyone, but study anatomy. Specifically facial anatomy of course. This doesn't mean learn the names of the muscles and bones and crap, but you should have a pretty fundamental idea of how the muscles work, and why they're there. You should know the shapes, proportions and functions of these things. Professional artists have a saying - function defines the form. Basically if you have the knowledge of how something works, you can apply that to create accurate representations of them, and even tweak those forms and shapes to create exaggerations. This is why sometimes creating a 'cartoony' expressive style can sometimes be harder than creating a realistic one, but that's a tangent I don't want to rant on about because it's irrelevant to what you're asking.

Take this painting I did here as an example http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/125/3/d/bright_eyes_by_uninfinitum-d3fmag0.jpg
*shameless tooting of own horn*

To get a successfully realistic drawing you need a bunch of things to work together simultaneously. If any one of these fails you fall down the predatory "uncanny valley" (google the term if you're not familiar, I'm assuming you are though) and it will instantly break the illusion of realism. The big 3 things that you need to look out for are proportion, texture, and light
proportion covers the aforementioned anatomy and real life accuracy that your drawing has.
Texture is a bit more subtle, but simply drawing in lines for hair doesn't cut it. Different things have different contrasts, reflections, values and of course, surface texture. It takes a long time to be able to communicate this through simple black and white, and even longer with color.
Light culminates to how both of the first two elements react with eachother, and with a light source. This is the most subtle part of realism and by far the most complex. Unless you have a good reference, this takes loads of experience. Practicing a lot with sketching reference material is probably the best way to tackle this, other than a formal education on the matter. The difficulties still exist when you have reference however, as you need to consider contrast. Your blacks have to be as dark as you can make them, and your lights have to be as white as the paper. Without this, you lose so much information in between the two extremes, and this will become relevant when you're attempting to represent colors in the spectrum in black and white. If you don't have enough contrast, lots of tones will be very similar and your drawing will turn flat. And flat isn't realistic.

I could literally go on about how to draw realistic portraits for tens of thousands of words, but this post is getting long as it is, and I think I've covered the specifics of what you should hear.

Keep trying though, don't get discouraged, and you'll only get better for it.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I've never been good with the realistic drawings. Even moreso when color is involved. Because I can never seen to emulate exactly as I see on paper. What I see is constantly changing and there's and extra sense of perspective that is lost when thrown onto paper and gets flatten. That aggravates me. So I just accept that I can't do exactly what I see and do, rather, what I can. I'm never gonna be a Leonardo, anyway. :3

Top Bottom