• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Polygons and whatnot (mostly polygons)

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
That movie looks incredible so far, if the trailers are anything to go by. Why is Pixar so good at everything?

I wish my finished pieces looked half as good as some of that process work lol.

❀W.E.M.P.❀

Mote Of Dust
The moment I wake UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Before I put on my mothah-****in' MAKE UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Isayalittleprayerforyou

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
So I got this tablet from a friend of mine and can't get used to it. I mean, not looking at the paper... I can't even make round circles :urg:

How did you guys deal with this?

Geist

Smash Master
It's weird at first, but the disconnect goes away after a while and you get your hand-eye coordination back. You'll never get that accuracy of paper and there's always a bit of a loss there, but if you tamper with the settings you can at least optimize it for yourself.
Just make sure mouse mode is off, it's useless lol

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Working on a lot of semi photorealistic colored pencil stuff lately

I really like colored pencils now
Time consuming, but so worth it!

:phone:

Geist

Smash Master
Working on a lot of semi photorealistic colored pencil stuff lately

I really like colored pencils now
Time consuming, but so worth it!

I love colored pencils
but digital has pretty much replaced it for me completely
digitaaalllllllll
Doodles:

legit. I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure you've improved since I last saw you. Just make you don't draw yourself into the 'anime corner'. some people and up only drawing anime and then they can't draw anything else. It's pretty unfortunate when it happens. Anime has a simple appealing style, but there is a lot repetition and imitation involved.
Just saying. :]
freakin excited. about 20% saved up >_> haha

i'll get there soon.
Legit lmao
If I won the lottery the first thing I'd buy is the huge table sized tablet with the keyboard. It's hot lmao

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'd like to get one of those, but, like, I need a new computer for one.

Nothing beats physical media, still, imo. Cheap and inexpensive depending on what you're trying to achieve.

Geist

Smash Master
Personally the only thing that separates my medium preference is the efficiency in which it can be finished, and the final product itself. But that's just expected of my profession I guess lol

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
legit. I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure you've improved since I last saw you. Just make you don't draw yourself into the 'anime corner'. some people and up only drawing anime and then they can't draw anything else. It's pretty unfortunate when it happens. Anime has a simple appealing style, but there is a lot repetition and imitation involved.
Just saying. :]
Appreciate it. It means a lot coming from you. I did imitate some manga and copied some panels by eye, so maybe that helped with proportion.

I try to do some realism but the only reason I don't post it is that it's usually drawing my friends in class. I tease my friend by drawing him all buff next to a girl who he has a crush on. I don't think he'd appreciate it if I uploaded it haha. I'll try to do some realism and upload it for critique. I dunno man. Facial features are so difficult. I don't want to blatantly stare at my classmates and let my professor know I'm not paying attention either XD

Edit: Here are some quick ones that I did in class.
My other friend who looked out of it, but was actually paying attention:

My teacher who's just adorable and cute. Got a cute, shy type personality and isn't that old either. My drawings don't do justice especially since I sit far away and haven't been to an optometrist in about a year and a half... that and that fact that I still have a lot to learn about realism >.>

Geist

Smash Master
lol, well it's good to know that you have artistic variety then.
Faces used to be my weak point, this is probably around 2008 or something, back when I used to do mostly technical drawings like blueprint drafting of bridges, cars, mechanical parts, etc. When I started to dabble in designing characters and concept art in general, I became increasingly frustrated that I couldn't draw an accurate face, so I practiced drawing nothing but faces - from photos, from my friends, sneaking doodles in class - for I think 6 months the only thing I drew was faces. You could say I overcompensated a bit, but the point I'm getting at is that practice is key.
/pseudo-inspirational blah

the best advice for you that I have is that you shouldn't treat your drawing as a 2 dimensional object only consisting of lines. And you shouldn't attempt to imitate what you see and translate it into lines. Try to define what you're trying to draw in terms of function, not simply lines. Analyzing while you draw is the most important step to teaching yourself. for example, figure out what it is that makes jaws work, figure out where they attach, how they move, and just basic 'why' questions, because if you don't know how they function, you'll never really understand the form of them.
It sounds a bit odd for me to just tell you to perceive something in a completely different way, but I really really wish someone told me what I know back when I was first starting, because now I'm spending as much time killing bad habits I've had since I was like five years old as I am improving all the new things I'm learning :/

I'll show you an example, and hopefully it'll help you. I drew this a little while ago for the linework for a painting I did. It's all done with no reference, and you can see lines I drew out that don't actually exist on the face, but are there to show the function of the face, as well as the form of it in a third dimension.

Here you can see I've made the dotted lines that define the cheeks, lines that help me see how her mouth is pushing the muscles of her face upwards, I've drawn the line that defines the ridge of the skull vertically down her face that defines where the side of her face becomes the front of her face, I've drawn in lines that divide the facial features up, and a whole lot of other measurements. It's not mathematical precision, but there are definite rules that can really guide you to making a properly proportioned face.

I've actually been meaning to make a tutorial on simplified facial proportions and anatomy, because I find the ones that are lying around the internet/ most books to be overly complicated and convoluted like my mess of a drawing. Maybe I should get to that sometime.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
It's really the way you should approach all things you draw. It's a great way to, eventually, develop into your own unique style.

When you have the knowledge of the human figure, inside and out, you have the right to break the rules and exaggerate and distort the form to your liking. The difference between a drawing before the education and after will be very obvious.

Geist

Smash Master
sometimes when I feel bad about my own work I just take a quick gander around the internet
I should be saving some of these things I find for humor's sake

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
You need to see fyeahterribleart and sociallyacceptableart on tumblr. Greatest things ever.
Worst part is when the art is really awesome, but so disturbing and mind melting on SUA. I've seen some beautiful but ****ed up in the worst way pictures on there.

I should also send you pictures of some of my classmates' artworks for lulz

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
I've been playing some WarioWare games and they inspired me to steal their characters draw something using that style since I love its simplicity and cheerfulness

Here's Mona

and an incomplete Ashley

The downside of working with such thick lines as these is you can't get much into detail other than shadowing. See Mona's for example, I don't know how the hell work the feet lol, they look awful. I'm stuck there. I also think the hair doesn't go with the flow, I might change that too.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I don't think the drawing is all that bad. I feel the character is a bit stiff, though. Like, if I were to do what she's doing, I'd be in some pain. :/

---

I'm in this drawing class. I feel so out of place since it's a beginner level course for college. Been getting much compliment from my instructor. Him being Tim French, in case you care (seems to be a known artist). But lord, I have him in another course (Design) and he is so freaking picky on what it is I use and how it needs to be done. Strong emphasis on craft. And I understand that one needs a discipline in that, but I think he's being to heavy on it. I seriously feel like hitting something just trying to recreate the Value scale via pencil because of HOW he wants it done.

Maybe one day soon, I'll post some of the drawings I've been doing the drawing class.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Talked with one of the recent grads today....
and had a total internal fangirl moment.

I can totally manage around most people and be all chill and not all "OMG SO EXCITED TO BE TALKING TO YOU"
But dangit, 'dem upperclassmen.
He's looked out for me since before I started at AiP, and he even helped think of prank ideas for my roommate and I. But, talking to him as friends will be surprising for a looong while. But he's a cool dude. Encourages me a lot to do my best and helps me with homework from time to time.

'DEM UPPERCLASSMEN OMG IDOLIZEEEE ; x ;

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I don't ever have those moments, and I've even met god.

. . .

Okay, I just never had experienced a situation like that. Supposedly because I don't hold anyone in high regard (As in, I naturally put myself over everyone LOL).

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Lol it's usually just for the people I don't talk to that much/have really good work
Bren, we talk enough that I'd probably spaz out just because I'd be meeting someone I knew
Or id be totally calm
You can never tell

Geist

Smash Master
Don't draw them with your wrist. Draw them with your shoulder, and ghost over where you want to draw and then while still moving your arm, put your pencil down and draw it in a single stroke. Looping twice or three times is fine.
Keep your wrist completely locked.

This is one of the few things in drawing that does have a magic solution like this but it still takes practice. Your circles will look like **** for a bit, and I have sketchbooks filled with nothing but circles lol

Drawing with your shoulder also works with drawing straight lines too btw

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Don't draw them with your wrist. Draw them with your shoulder, and ghost over where you want to draw and then while still moving your arm, put your pencil down and draw it in a single stroke. Looping twice or three times is fine.
Keep your wrist completely locked.

This is one of the few things in drawing that does have a magic solution like this but it still takes practice. Your circles will look like **** for a bit, and I have sketchbooks filled with nothing but circles lol

Drawing with your shoulder also works with drawing straight lines too btw

This. THISSSSSSS.

I use the straight line thing all the time. My lifedrawing teacher taught me that when i went to aip's summer camp. NOW I AM A LINE MASTER.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yea i have never been star struck and i've come face to face with a few celebrities.
almost
everyone deserves respect but it's not right to belittle one's own dignity just because you meet someone popular or something. they're people too

nice circle tip

Top Bottom