• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Polygons and whatnot (mostly polygons)

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Adding that book to my list along with Andrew Loomis's rereleased books
I know those are on the Internet
But dangit, Loomis is amazing!!!

:phone:

global-wolf

Smash Champion
I actually saw the Color and Light book at the bookstore last year and bought it, it's seriously amazing. Though it's also kinda intimidating lol. @_______@

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha well school is def a priority, but you could always switch up video games..?

i just watched iron giant again today. that movie is a GEM

Geist

Smash Master
I actually saw the Color and Light book at the bookstore last year and bought it, it's seriously amazing. Though it's also kinda intimidating lol. @_______@
jelly
it's intimidating in a good way - it's definitely not a beginner's book lmao. But there's so much info. The only reason I was able to paint this was because I spent 15 minutes quickly flipping through that book.

nice avy btw

global-wolf

Smash Champion
jelly
it's intimidating in a good way - it's definitely not a beginner's book lmao. But there's so much info. The only reason I was able to paint this was because I spent 15 minutes quickly flipping through that book.

nice avy btw
Wow, I should probably go and look at it again, I don't remember exactly what's in it. And thaaaaanks

Chok, I've actually been wanting to watch Iron Giant ever since I was 4 and saw a trailer for it, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. ;__;

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i torrented the movie

it's soooooo good

directed by brad bird, the director of the incredibles and ratatouille

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Instructor wants us to look up M.C. Escher to look at good example of using positive/negative space.

I already knew of the man, of course, I'm kind of in a beginner course to get a move on my Graphic Design program.

Still, his works are still very impressive. Such precision for a person living during a time things like computers weren't there to help him put it together.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Looks like it. Well dern.

It's not like this place was so active that the subforum was completely necessary.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Yeah, it wasn't generating much use lately, so it was tossed...

Now we've got a single thread for all crits and everything's combined into the main room.

Geist

Smash Master
ugh I keep forgetting that this thread is open again lmao

Here's some stuff I've been doing for the short film I'm involved with. For those of you who I may not have told, I'm doing concepts/ character modeling/ matte painting for a cg/live action sci-fi short film called the condamned. I signed an NDA so unfortunately that's all I can really say about it :p
All this stuff you see is really early stages except for the final rotation, which is being modeled as we speak.
I thought it would be interesting to post since I've been getting some positive feedback from it so far :D

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
ugh I keep forgetting that this thread is open again lmao

Here's some stuff I've been doing for the short film I'm involved with. For those of you who I may not have told, I'm doing concepts/ character modeling/ matte painting for a cg/live action sci-fi short film called the condamned. I signed an NDA so unfortunately that's all I can really say about it :p
All this stuff you see is really early stages except for the final rotation, which is being modeled as we speak.
I thought it would be interesting to post since I've been getting some positive feedback from it so far :D

Every time you post, my mind explodes. Post the link when your film finishes - that is, if you're allowed to. It never ceases to amaze me all the little details that artists choose to add. My mind can't conceptually think of fine details, so my drawings end up looking bland. Also, I like the alien guy with that 3rd eye in the middle.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
Here's a little painting I finished today that started out as an iscribble between me and Evil-Guy:

I feel like everything I paint is something glowy on a dark background u.u

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
geist your grasp of form is mad nice!

though the style is not really my aesthetic haha

where you shooting to work for again?

Geist

Smash Master
lmao thanks guys
geist your grasp of form is mad nice!

though the style is not really my aesthetic haha

where you shooting to work for again?
Pixar lol
But don't worry, this is far from my only style. I'm required to do more realistic concepts for this because we're shooting for photorealism. I'm not in charge of artistic direction either unfortunately - concept artists have to be flexible and improvise well in terms of genre/style/etc, so I'm just told what the director/ producer wants to see and I draw a bunch of variations of it lol. Maybe I'll post some of my newer cartoony personal stuff later.

edit: nice painting global :D

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lmao thanks guys

Pixar lol
But don't worry, this is far from my only style. I'm required to do more realistic concepts for this because we're shooting for photorealism. I'm not in charge of artistic direction either unfortunately - concept artists have to be flexible and improvise well in terms of genre/style/etc, so I'm just told what the director/ producer wants to see and I draw a bunch of variations of it lol. Maybe I'll post some of my newer cartoony personal stuff later.

edit: nice painting global :D
oh man, awesome! and you're right about flexibility. hm!! i never really thought of that.

great showing then, if that is the goal.

Geist

Smash Master
I like that your drawings are completely recognizable, but I can't help think that your lines are focusing too much on value, rather than the shape/form.

It's coming along though, don't get me wrong. Are you going to eventually color it?

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
I like that your drawings are completely recognizable, but I can't help think that your lines are focusing too much on value, rather than the shape/form.

It's coming along though, don't get me wrong. Are you going to eventually color it?
I'm not very good at coloring. I'm also not very patient, so that's a giant maybe. If I do color it, it won't look that great. If someone with openCanvas 1.1-4.0 wants to take a crack at it when all is said and done, I'll send the .WPB. As for the lines, I'm trying to make it look like an inked comic book cover, which is probably why it looks like there's so much contrast.

Geist

Smash Master
Oh, well in that case nevermind what I said. I assumed you were coloring it to be more of a traditional digital painting, derp

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
wut

10wut
For one, I ask in interest. I may join, but I got a bad mic, so I wouldn't be speaking.

And for two, try not to 10 char dodge in these social threads.

The threads are all on thin ice and that doesn't help the cause of keeping them alive.

Geist

Smash Master
We mostly don't use our mics. Standard skype doesn't support mic group chats, you have to have premium, plus I think a bunch of us don't even have one readily available/working lol

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Well, you can have group mic chats up to like....20 people iirc
cam chat is another story :c

My mic is one of the broked ones.
Gonna pick one up eventually.
Maybe next weekend.....Grandma's birfday party aww yeah <3

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Skype is a chat client which has regular chat, and is honestly made for more video/voice calls.
we use our skype to just chat, since group chatting is easier there than on AIM or MSN.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
People's phones? I don't think so. Mines said that I needed to pay for Skype credits in order to call people on their phones. Unless, you're talking about premium.

Top Bottom