• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer (Red!) Discussion

Fawriel

Smash Master
Mario looks like he's about to fire palm Squirtle in the face and Squirtle looks like he's getting ready to tackle Mario.

Oh my.
I can't believe I have neglected to say this so far.

SQUIRTLE IS SO ****ING COOL I CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY AS HIM AHAHAHAHAHA WOOOOOO I LOVE THIS CHARACTER EVEN IVYSAUR LOOKS FRIKKIN RAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!11111111

...that felt good.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
i know, pokemon trainer is going to be uber pwnage. squirtle will be great, charizard will be aweseme, and if ivesaur gets leech seed, vine whip, and leaf attack he will be the best

dj asakura

Smash Ace
its possible thats what that screenshot is, but i dont think it really is...

regardless, i'm pretty jacked about this, it'll be a fun change of pace at the VERY least

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I think Charizard will be big and slow, like Bowser. Squirtle will be the quickest, and Ivysaur will be in between.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Deoxys should've been in that drawing since he was Uber Owned.

Anyway...... so, this morning I was "WTF?!?!?" I couldn't believe it. I didn't want to believe it, I didn't like it. So umm, I went to school, and... well, I had Chemistry and Spanish the first 3 hours, so I pushed it to the back of my mind. So I got a break and I began to think of Smash, and well, I began to play with the idea, and when I got home, I checked the dojo again and then... uh, I thought "this isn't such a bad idea, in fact, it's kind of good" I also thought they work a bit like Zelda/Shiek, except well, you HAVE to switch strategically, and well, yeah, it grew on me. I actually think I might use him once in a while... but not much, lotsa kudos on my part to anyone who uses him on tournaments and makes him his main.

And congrats to the creator of this topic, too.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
You know, I never really hated this idea, I just poo-pooed it because I thought it was impossible. A good idea, but Nintendo will never go for it...

Boy was I wrong.

*Hopes Charizard is freaking awesome*

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
I dunno if this has been posted but does anyone think that he tosses the new Pokeball with the next Pokemon AS he calls back the current Pokemon? That was the change time would be like Shiek/Zelda's instead of a really long dely while calling the first one back.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
i could see that, that or he does it at break neck speeds

i personally can't wait to see vinewhip, leech seed, and leaf attack in action

Seison

Smash Journeyman
This is imo, BY FAR the best update yet, and for me personally, probably the best update there will ever be. This is just.... way too awesome.

LOL at all the non-belivers.

Charizard FTW.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
I knew it was goig to happen and unlike most people I enjoyed the idea.
So December 3, or 4(depending if you have to do a lot of stuff to unlock him) I will be trying out combos and what not with him, because I see him as my main. Well other than Peach.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
I used to think of Red as being a playable character in Smash as a stupid idea. I still kind of do but since he isn't literaly fighting himself and using his three starters... THAT seems pretty interesting...

ecstatic

Smash Journeyman
Within 8,000 miles of you, unless you're in space.
PT is gonna have some pretty pwnage recovery. I'm thinking that when you downB the pokemon switch in the same place, but all momentum is lost, so when you get near the edge you could stall awhile (but you would lose height, so that's why you could only do it for a bit and near the edge), exploiting your invincibility frames that your likely to have a good number of. Then when your opponent least expects it, BAM! Charizard uses his wings to easily recover.
Actually, I see a lot of invincibility switch spamming, people will likely switch as much as you can without losing too much stamina.

EDIT: Actually, if switching has a lot of non-invincible lag, like Sheik's downB, I doubt anyone will spam it. In fact, because of stamina, too much lag at all with switching pretty much means low-tier, because it'll you'll end up very punishable.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I knew it!!! hahaha to everybody that thought RED would get his own moveset, see I knew he would'nt get his own moveset because RED is just a wimp using his own pokemon, but I wasn't expecting him as an actual character just an assist which imo he should have been

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
What kind of Pokemon Trainer is he? Sending your Pokemon to compete in deathmatches?

What'll it be like when his Pokemon are defeated?

(It would be cool if the announcer said something like, "POKEMON TRAINER WHITED OUT! YOU RAN OUT OF USABLE POKEMON!"

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
At all the people who flamed this idea: ahahahahahh

But seriously... I thought this was a horrible idea at first too...

But I guess they made it work...

SonicMario

Smash Master
wondering what their movesets are gonna been especially his final smash which I have no clue
I'm hoping that Trainer doesn't have 3 final smashes because of all the pokemon. And you know what, of the 3 pokemon. Ivysaur was the only one that didn't get it's own respective trophy . Both Squirtle & Charizard had a trophy in Melee, yet Ivysaur didn't. But Ivy devolved & evolved forms are.

Rune

Smash Lord
Right so.. theory time.

He's named "Pokemon Trainer" because his other costumes turn him into other trainers, other trainers might have different Pokemon with movesets that act the same way, but have altered graphics to fit the type. Like the clones in Melee?
The fact that Pokemon only come in a set color would and 4 PT's would make things very confusing, might help this theory.

PT likely stands on some sort of floating platform to move long with floating/moving stages, in storymode, where there seem to be more solid backgrounds, he might be set up near the camera, and throw his pokeballs from the screen.

Squirtle is likely a fast damage racking character, but is light, and has poor recovery. When Squirtle gets tired and damaged, the PT switches to Ivysaur, who is slower, and possibly does less damage, but is heavier and has better recovery by using his vines like Samus' grappling beam. Finally, at high percent, the PT switches to Charizard, who owns the KO moves needed to finish off the by then hopefully highly damaged opponents, is quite heavy, and can use his wings for long comebacks, which is needed, since the PT's overall percentage should be pretty high by that time. Charizard will however be missing combo ability due to his slowness, making him poor at doing damage.

Obviously, the challenge when player as the PT, will be that if you fail to do enough damage with Squirtle before he gets tired, eventually Charizard will be having himself a hard time finishing off the opponents. The plus side to the PT would be that if all goes well, he'll always have the right type of character for both early, mid and late game.
I thus predict that optimally, there should be 3 Pokemon switches taking place per stock, this means a lot of switching, so switching shouldn't take a lot of time.

Erm, yeah, that'll do for now.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
I'm going to take a risk and say I disagree with your idea, Rune. I think Red will just get different colours rather than becoming the other three trainers. Heck, I don't think he will even be changed into a girl. If he was going to, I think Sakurai would've included that when Red appeared in the first place. =/

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I'm going to take a risk and say I disagree with your idea, Rune. I think Red will just get different colours rather than becoming the other three trainers. Heck, I don't think he will even be changed into a girl. If he was going to, I think Sakurai would've included that when Red appeared in the first place. =/
Really? If anything, I think the fact that Sakurai bothered to name the him "Pokemon Trainer" instead of "Red" is an indication that he probably will change into the other trainers. I feel really strongly about that. Afterall, Link is called Link, not "Hero from the Zelda games". Why wouldn't they call Red by his name if he's just going to stay as the same character? Giving him that vague of a title seems awfully fishy to me.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Well from what I've heard (although I wish to check this myself by playing a Japanese version of Gold/Silver/Crystal) when you meet Red in the Japanese version it simply says "Boy Trainer wants to fight". I doubt the person who told me this is telling the truth, but I'll look into it.

Besides, it'd be quite strange if you turned into Gold, Ruby or Diamond. They're still using Ivysaur/Charizard/Squirtle, and those three are pretty much connected with Red. Unless you changed the Pokemon, it wouldn't feel right to see those three with first generation Pokemon.

Rune

Smash Lord
Then why didn't he call him Red instead of Pokemon Trainer?

Also, they probably know how everyone wants to see his favorite Pokemon, why only go for three? It's not like a little bit more animating and modeling is gonna kill anyone, they've probably taken their sweet time for a reason.

Wishful thinking obviously, not saying I'm right. ;P

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
It's a lot simpler to go for three. Besides, it'd be difficult to find a starter Pokemon that could take Charizard's place.

Johto generation: No fliers.
Hoenn generation: No fliers.
Sinnoh generation: Empoleon comes close, but he can't fly.

majoras.

Smash Journeyman
but who guarantees charizard will fly in the game?

well...its most likely that will be its upB, but squirtle and ivysaur dont fly either and an upB will be added for them too in case they are out of range of the pokemo trainer call.

btw way to go on your predictions dude, who would have tought, this should be stickied as the official red thread!...but i just notice that only threads that moderators open are mostly stickied ~~

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
I like the idea of changing to different trainers...

But the pokemon would have to be slightly different too... (so you don't have 4 identical squirtles etc running around)

Simple color changes are hte most likely though... but if they trainers do change... the possibility of other costume changes for other characters will increase (zora suit TP link ftw)

Top Bottom